Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 7th, 2009, 12:08 AM
BonnieVA's Avatar
BonnieVA BonnieVA is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,084
Question Typhoid Fever vaccine

Since we've kind of hijacked the hapatitis thread I wanted to start one about typhoid vaccination. It's not talked about as much here on CC & I'm not sure why.

We're stopping at Belize & Guatemala next month w/ our kids & will be going on long excursions which include meals. The CDC recommends the vaccine to central American travellers; other web sites recommend it only if you're there for extended periods. One nurse I spoke to recommended typhoid vacc; another was somewhat surprised when I brought it up. So now I'M confused.

DH feels like the tour ops take measures to ensure the food is safe. I say "who knows".

I am having a hard time figuring out just how prevalent typhoid is in these countries. Is it a minimal risk or great? My 16 yr old suggested we just not eat on the excursions. Would we be pretty safe if we only ate cooked food (no raw fruits/veggies)?

So what have the rest of you done, especially those who ate in these countries? What are you hearing from your doctors & nurses? I do know that the vaccine doesn't guarantee protection, either - it only has something like a 65-75% protection rate.

I realize you are not medical professionals ... just looking to hear your thoughts & decisions YOU made (& why).

Thanks!
__________________
NCL Majesty - Bermuda 6-08
Carnival Triumph - Western Caribbean 8-08
NCL Spirit - Exotic Western Caribbean 4-09
Celebrity Mercury - Charleston, KW, Bahamas 11-09 - Me, myself & I
Celebrity Mercury - Charleston, KW, Bahamas 1-10 - Me, myself & I
Celebrity Mercury - Eastern Caribbean 10-10 - Me, myself & I (B2B with...)
Celebrity Mercury - Charleston, Bahamas, KW, Miami 10-10 - Me, myself & I
Carnival Dream - Eastern Caribbean 8-12
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old March 7th, 2009, 01:48 AM
cb at sea cb at sea is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Fredericksburg, va. USA
Posts: 59,611
Default

For cruise passengers, the risk is very, very small. You're not there during prime "mosquito" hours, and you're generally in "urban" settings. You aren't required to get any vaccinations.
Now, if you were staying for days in the "wilds" of a typhoid-rich country, it would be prudent to have protection. You don't need it on a cruise.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old March 7th, 2009, 01:52 AM
LHT28's Avatar
LHT28 LHT28 is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: GTA,ONTARIO CANADA
Posts: 22,181
Default

We ate in both countries on excursions, we did not have any problems
You have to make your own choice ...what is the right choice it is hard to say
talk to your doctor ...be informed
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/disea...ever_g.htm#Top
__________________
FORMER CRUISES:
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Royal Epirotiki-Olympic, Orient lines-Marco Polo, NCL-Dream, Princess - Dawn Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress, Scenic Tours -Scenic Sapphire, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina(1) Riveria (1)
AQSC-American Queen

FUTURE CRUISE(S)



Email:LHT28 yahoo com
Put Cruise in subject line

PHOTOS:
http://lht28.smugmug.com/
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old March 7th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Our Passport Stamps Our Passport Stamps is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Where My Suitcase Is
Posts: 3,632
Default

We travel a lot by land and just had ours yesterday.

and we do so every 2 years.

Even as a cruise passenger, I would still do it.

It's a fine line between required and recommended

I would read the link above and more importantly check with your doctor.

The shot took seconds it was done at 2pm on Friday, my arm is sensitive and will be for another day. that's all there is to it.

I would also make sure your tetanus shot is updated, along
with your HEP A and HEP B.

Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Spikesgirl Spikesgirl is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 4,748
Default

We doing an Amazon cruise and it's been recommended to get yellow fever shots, along with Hep A & B. I'd rather get the shots and have peace of mind than worry and wonder about whether I might catch something potentially deadly. Even if the rate is not 100%, it does offer some protection.

As for food on an excursion, I think you are pretty safe - they work hard to make sure folks don't get sick (or hurt) on a cruise excursion, at least with Princess, and carefully monitor the food.

Charlie
__________________
Charlie

Not All Who Wander Are Lost
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:05 AM
sultan_sfo sultan_sfo is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,132
Default Anti-Typhoid Pills

Mosquitoes cause Malaria. Typhoid is from food and water.

If one decides to get Typhoid protection, ask about live virus Typhoid pills -- one takes 4 pills (in all) one every other day. The Typhoid protection from the pills is for 5 years as compared to 2-years from the vaccination. Just got it last month for a land trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
For cruise passengers, the risk is very, very small. You're not there during prime "mosquito" hours,
...
__________________


Last edited by sultan_sfo; March 7th, 2009 at 11:16 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:37 AM
BonnieVA's Avatar
BonnieVA BonnieVA is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sultan_sfo View Post
If one decides to get Typhoid protection, ask about live virus Typhoid pills -- one takes 4 pills (in all) one every other day. The Typhoid protection from the pills is for 5 years as compared to 2-years from the vaccination. Just got it last month for a land trip.
Taking a live virus vaccine scares me . I have tried to research the likelihood of contracting the illness by taking the live vaccine but I have found nothing. Maybe that means you can't get the virus from the vaccine? Do you happen to know if the live vaccine is less expensive than the intramuscular?
__________________
NCL Majesty - Bermuda 6-08
Carnival Triumph - Western Caribbean 8-08
NCL Spirit - Exotic Western Caribbean 4-09
Celebrity Mercury - Charleston, KW, Bahamas 11-09 - Me, myself & I
Celebrity Mercury - Charleston, KW, Bahamas 1-10 - Me, myself & I
Celebrity Mercury - Eastern Caribbean 10-10 - Me, myself & I (B2B with...)
Celebrity Mercury - Charleston, Bahamas, KW, Miami 10-10 - Me, myself & I
Carnival Dream - Eastern Caribbean 8-12
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old March 7th, 2009, 12:35 PM
sultan_sfo sultan_sfo is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,132
Default

The Hospital Travel Clinic (CPMC) that I went to charged me exactly the same. In fact, they billed for vaccination although I chose pills. I think that their computer is not set up to bill for pills. The pills have to be kept refrigerated. There were no side effects. I chose it because of the 5 year protection. The literature said it was minimum 5 years and normally it was 6 or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieVA View Post
...
Do you happen to know if the live vaccine is less expensive than the intramuscular?
__________________


Last edited by sultan_sfo; March 7th, 2009 at 12:39 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old March 7th, 2009, 12:39 PM
kitty9 kitty9 is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Moon Township, Pa
Posts: 21,896
Default

First, cruising the Amazon is very different from other places, and Brazil requires yellow fever vaccines. You probably want to look at anti-malaria pills for that area also.

I've cruised all over the world, to some pretty exotic places like Vietnam, Cambodia, Sri Lanka and all over Africa and I've never gotten typhoid vaccines. Hep A and B, most definitely yes, but I've never worried about typhoid. Now, if you or anyone in your family has a compromised immune system, then definitely I would think about typhoid, but believe me, cruise lines are not going to put their passengers in harms way by allowing them to go to places where they would get typhoid. And, with a little bit of common sense, like not drinking anything but bottled water, not using local ice, and not eating fresh fruits or vegetables including salads, you're going to be fine. I've been to Belize and Guatemala many times, ate the local food, and only drank bottled water and I've not had a problem.

But, you have to be the one to decide what's best for your family.
__________________
Darcie
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old March 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM
sultan_sfo sultan_sfo is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,132
Default Typhoid Pills

Google: vivotif berna vaccine for information about Typhoid pills.

I should have had my physician prescribe it instead of having the Travel Clinic give it. Cost would have much lower. Although my insurance covers it and it was pre-authorized, initially for some reason they are questioning the payment.
__________________

Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old March 7th, 2009, 04:27 PM
BonnieVA's Avatar
BonnieVA BonnieVA is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty9 View Post
I've cruised all over the world, to some pretty exotic places like Vietnam, Cambodia, Sri Lanka and all over Africa and I've never gotten typhoid vaccines. Hep A and B, most definitely yes, but I've never worried about typhoid. Now, if you or anyone in your family has a compromised immune system, then definitely I would think about typhoid, but believe me, cruise lines are not going to put their passengers in harms way by allowing them to go to places where they would get typhoid. And, with a little bit of common sense, like not drinking anything but bottled water, not using local ice, and not eating fresh fruits or vegetables including salads, you're going to be fine. I've been to Belize and Guatemala many times, ate the local food, and only drank bottled water and I've not had a problem.
Good to hear that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sultan_sfo View Post
Google: vivotif berna vaccine for information about Typhoid pills.

I should have had my physician prescribe it instead of having the Travel Clinic give it. Cost would have much lower. Although my insurance covers it and it was pre-authorized, initially for some reason they are questioning the payment.
Whoa! For real? You can actually buy this stuff from reputable online stores?!?! Even w/ shipping it's much cheaper than our local health clinic.

But still not sure we're game on the typhoid. Still thinking about it. Thanks for the info.
__________________
NCL Majesty - Bermuda 6-08
Carnival Triumph - Western Caribbean 8-08
NCL Spirit - Exotic Western Caribbean 4-09
Celebrity Mercury - Charleston, KW, Bahamas 11-09 - Me, myself & I
Celebrity Mercury - Charleston, KW, Bahamas 1-10 - Me, myself & I
Celebrity Mercury - Eastern Caribbean 10-10 - Me, myself & I (B2B with...)
Celebrity Mercury - Charleston, Bahamas, KW, Miami 10-10 - Me, myself & I
Carnival Dream - Eastern Caribbean 8-12
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old March 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM
QLUVS2CRUZ's Avatar
QLUVS2CRUZ QLUVS2CRUZ is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
For cruise passengers, the risk is very, very small. You're not there during prime "mosquito" hours, and you're generally in "urban" settings. You aren't required to get any vaccinations.
Now, if you were staying for days in the "wilds" of a typhoid-rich country, it would be prudent to have protection. You don't need it on a cruise.

Typhoid is not caused by getting a mosquito bite.
__________________
CCL Valor 2006
CCL Ecstasy 2007
RCI Monarch 2008
RCI Grandeur 2009
CCL Freedom 2010
CCL Pride 2011
CCL Elation 2012
CCL Pride 2012
CCL Fantasy 2013

Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old March 7th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Our Passport Stamps Our Passport Stamps is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Where My Suitcase Is
Posts: 3,632
Default

Hi ...

yesterday my DH was offered the typhoid pills BUT I couldn't take them because of other medicince I take.

She said the side effects for him would be nausea, headache and being lethargic.

He opted to stick with the shot as neither of us had any side effects before AND it keeps us on the same vaccination schedule for future
trips (also easier to remember when we had each one done)

It has now been 24 hours and my arm is still sensitive, if my bra strap slips down it hurts..and it's hard to raise my arm above my shoulder..

I expect it to be like this for one more day.


Last edited by Our Passport Stamps; March 7th, 2009 at 06:44 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old March 7th, 2009, 07:47 PM
sultan_sfo sultan_sfo is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,132
Default

I think any Pharmacy can get the pills with a prescription from your MD. And no one has to administer it like being vaccinated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieVA View Post
Good to hear that!

Whoa! For real? You can actually buy this stuff from reputable online stores?!?! Even w/ shipping it's much cheaper than our local health clinic.
__________________

Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:10 PM
BonnieVA's Avatar
BonnieVA BonnieVA is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2next View Post
Hi ...

yesterday my DH was offered the typhoid pills BUT I couldn't take them because of other medicince I take.

She said the side effects for him would be nausea, headache and being lethargic.

He opted to stick with the shot as neither of us had any side effects before AND it keeps us on the same vaccination schedule for future
trips (also easier to remember when we had each one done)

It has now been 24 hours and my arm is still sensitive, if my bra strap slips down it hurts..and it's hard to raise my arm above my shoulder..

I expect it to be like this for one more day.
Thanks for keeping us updated! I'm curious to know - did she give the likelihood of those side effects for the oral pills? The web sites I've been to make it seem slight.
__________________
NCL Majesty - Bermuda 6-08
Carnival Triumph - Western Caribbean 8-08
NCL Spirit - Exotic Western Caribbean 4-09
Celebrity Mercury - Charleston, KW, Bahamas 11-09 - Me, myself & I
Celebrity Mercury - Charleston, KW, Bahamas 1-10 - Me, myself & I
Celebrity Mercury - Eastern Caribbean 10-10 - Me, myself & I (B2B with...)
Celebrity Mercury - Charleston, Bahamas, KW, Miami 10-10 - Me, myself & I
Carnival Dream - Eastern Caribbean 8-12
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:13 PM
BonnieVA's Avatar
BonnieVA BonnieVA is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sultan_sfo View Post
I think any Pharmacy can get the pills with a prescription from your MD. And no one has to administer it like being vaccinated.
Hmm, I just assumed you had to go to a travel clinic. I wish I could get the Hep A shots from a pharmacy & avoid the office visit fees, which bring the cost up so high for 6 of us! I've never given shots before but my Mom is an RN ... she could do it .
__________________
NCL Majesty - Bermuda 6-08
Carnival Triumph - Western Caribbean 8-08
NCL Spirit - Exotic Western Caribbean 4-09
Celebrity Mercury - Charleston, KW, Bahamas 11-09 - Me, myself & I
Celebrity Mercury - Charleston, KW, Bahamas 1-10 - Me, myself & I
Celebrity Mercury - Eastern Caribbean 10-10 - Me, myself & I (B2B with...)
Celebrity Mercury - Charleston, Bahamas, KW, Miami 10-10 - Me, myself & I
Carnival Dream - Eastern Caribbean 8-12
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Steve and Sharon's Avatar
Steve and Sharon Steve and Sharon is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sultan_sfo View Post
The Hospital Travel Clinic (CPMC) that I went to charged me exactly the same. In fact, they billed for vaccination although I chose pills. I think that their computer is not set up to bill for pills. The pills have to be kept refrigerated. There were no side effects. I chose it because of the 5 year protection. The literature said it was minimum 5 years and normally it was 6 or more.
The typhoid pills are considered an oral vaccine, just like the oral polio vaccine. They are sometimes marketed with the name "Vaccine in a Capsule" on the box.
__________________
Sharon





Bermuda - 7 day - NCL Breakaway 9/15/13
Pacific Coastal - 7 day - NCL Jewel 5/8/13
Western Caribbean - 12 day - NCL Star 4/15/12
Hawaii roundtrip from Los Angeles - 15 day - Carnival Spirit 12/02/11
Western Caribbean - 7 day B2B - NCL Sun 11/13/10
Eastern Caribbean - 7 day B2B - NCL Sun 11/6/10
Mexico - Sea of Cortez - 11 day - NCL Sun 10/23/09
Mediterranean & Transatlantic - 13 day - NCL Gem 11/16/08
Alaska - 7 day - NCL Star 9/1/07
Hawaii - 7 day - NCLA Pride of Aloha 9/10/06
Caribbean - 7 day - NCL Skyward 12/27/85
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old March 7th, 2009, 10:14 PM
OCruisers OCruisers is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 11,734
Default

Good information everyone ... Thanks!
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:00 PM
LHT28's Avatar
LHT28 LHT28 is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: GTA,ONTARIO CANADA
Posts: 22,181
Question

I wonder if there are any statistics on how many people that visit these places get typhoid?

Think of all the cruise ships that go to those ports in a year.
__________________
FORMER CRUISES:
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Royal Epirotiki-Olympic, Orient lines-Marco Polo, NCL-Dream, Princess - Dawn Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress, Scenic Tours -Scenic Sapphire, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina(1) Riveria (1)
AQSC-American Queen

FUTURE CRUISE(S)



Email:LHT28 yahoo com
Put Cruise in subject line

PHOTOS:
http://lht28.smugmug.com/
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old March 7th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Steve and Sharon's Avatar
Steve and Sharon Steve and Sharon is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHT28 View Post
I wonder if there are any statistics on how many people that visit these places get typhoid?

Think of all the cruise ships that go to those ports in a year.
Good poll subject.
__________________
Sharon





Bermuda - 7 day - NCL Breakaway 9/15/13
Pacific Coastal - 7 day - NCL Jewel 5/8/13
Western Caribbean - 12 day - NCL Star 4/15/12
Hawaii roundtrip from Los Angeles - 15 day - Carnival Spirit 12/02/11
Western Caribbean - 7 day B2B - NCL Sun 11/13/10
Eastern Caribbean - 7 day B2B - NCL Sun 11/6/10
Mexico - Sea of Cortez - 11 day - NCL Sun 10/23/09
Mediterranean & Transatlantic - 13 day - NCL Gem 11/16/08
Alaska - 7 day - NCL Star 9/1/07
Hawaii - 7 day - NCLA Pride of Aloha 9/10/06
Caribbean - 7 day - NCL Skyward 12/27/85
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:37 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.
Cookie ConsentCookie Policy