Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Dramamine and Alcohol...

On one of my last cruises, someone in my group needed some dramamine and I remember something about not mixing it with Alcohol..

Can you mix the two?? Also, is dramamine drowsy???

2 of my friends who have never cruised before are going, so I just want to be prepared. Thanks! hehe
6/2006--Carnival Destiny
3/2006--Carnival Fantasy
5/2005--Splendour of the Seas (RCCL)
11/2001--Carnival Fantasy
4/2000--Tropicale
10/1999--Carnival Fantasy

Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:30 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES11583 View Post
On one of my last cruises, someone in my group needed some dramamine and I remember something about not mixing it with Alcohol..

2 of my friends who have never cruised before are going, so I just want to be prepared. Thanks! hehe
Dramamine II and Bonine are considered to be "less drowsy" than Dramamine, but the directions advise not to drink while taking either product.
Try ginger if you want to have a few. Personally they knock me right out.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

hmm.. that kinda stinks.. hopefully no one gets sea sick or anything.. but if they do, I am sure the last thing theyll be thinking about is drinking. But i was thinking in regards of taking it before possibly getting sick (may or may not even get sick), but then you still cant drink if youve taken it... hmmm..
6/2006--Carnival Destiny
3/2006--Carnival Fantasy
5/2005--Splendour of the Seas (RCCL)
11/2001--Carnival Fantasy
4/2000--Tropicale
10/1999--Carnival Fantasy

Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
hmm.. that kinda stinks.. hopefully no one gets sea sick or anything.. but if they do, I am sure the last thing theyll be thinking about is drinking. But i was thinking in regards of taking it before possibly getting sick (may or may not even get sick), but then you still cant drink if youve taken it... hmmm..
Bonine works best if you take it before you even get on the ship. Take one 24 hours prior to embarking then one each day. DW did that last time and she drank while taking them...although we are not heavy drinkers...not saying that to judge anyone just relaying our experiences, hope that helps...

I googled alcohol and bonine and this is what I found:

Bonine (meclizine) side effects
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Less serious side effects may include:

blurred vision; dry mouth; constipation; or dizziness, drowsiness.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect.

Basically it says to avoid alcohol because it might increase these side effects...don't know if that helps but I would venture a guess that if they do not experience any side effects, they should be able to drink.

USS Newport LST1179 1989-1992 (Med Cruise 1989, Operation Sharp Edge 1990, Operation Desert Storm 1991, Med Cruise 1991, Med Cruise 1992)
USS Antrim FFG20 1992-1992 (Great Lakes Cruise 1992)
USS Monterey CG61 1992-1993
USNS Kilauea TAE26 1995-1996 (Western Pacific Cruise 1995, Persian Gulf Cruise 1995-1996)
Carnival Inspiration 09/2000 (Western Caribbean - Honeymoon)
USS Emory S Land AS39 2002-2004 (Station Med, Operation Iraqi Freedom 2003)
USNS Spica TAFS9 2004-2005 (Operation Iraqi Freedom 2004, Operation Enduring Freedom 2005)
Carnival Victory 10/2006 (Bahamas)
Carnival Liberty 11/2008 (Eastern Caribbean)

Last edited by BullDogChief; March 3rd, 2009 at 06:09 PM.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
5,000+ Club

I drink while taking Bonine/Less Drowsy Dramamine and have no side effects at all. Otherwise I can't cruise and drink because I get motion sick. I do try to take more ginger and less Bonine. Regular Dramamine will make you sleepy and when combined with alcohol can make it worse. There's no medical reason or drug interaction when combining alcohol and those sea sickness meds. Bonine may intensify the effects of alcohol but it's not dangerous per se.

Grandeur of the Seas 01 Nov 2014
Grandeur of the Seas 18 March 2014
Allure of the Seas 03 Nov 2013
Explorer of the Seas 15 Mar 2013
Explorer of the Seas 04 Nov 2012
Enchantment of the Seas 10 March 2012
Freedom of the Seas 16 Oct 2011
Enchantment of the Seas 23 July 2011
Explorer of the Seas 07 Nov 2010
Explorer of the Seas 19 Mar 2010
Grandeur of the Seas 25 July 2009
Carnival Miracle 22 April 2009
Carnival Glory 01 Nov 2008
Dawn Princess 21 Oct 2007
Carnival Glory 11 Nov 2006
Carnival Fantasy 13 Nov 2005

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

There is a reason there are apples in the buffet. Helps prevent sea sickness.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

mixing alchol with any drug can have some adverse affects..a question
best answered by you pharmacist..

Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Dramamine II and Bonine are both name brands for generic Meclizine 25mg, (which is much cheaper than buying the name brands). I get terrible motion sickness, sometimes I have to take 3 a day. One in the a.m, one right before dinner (which is when I tend to get sick) and one before bed. I drink (sometimes quite a few ) while on it and have never had any side effects. I cant even tell I am on the Meclizine except I dont get sick Now the Dramamine...I am practically comatose if I take that stuff. I may as well skip the cruise because I would sleep right thru it.

Of course, I am not promoting doing this. Have your friends talk to the Dr or Pharmacist if they feel its needed.

I'm not spoiled, just well taken care of!!

Last edited by letsgocruz1; March 3rd, 2009 at 06:56 PM.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you take the Bonine/Dramamine at bedtime you won't feel any affects of it with a couple of drinks....and then its ok if you get drowsy from the medication. It worked great for me on our last cruise. I couldn't believe I never thought to take it everyday at bedtime.

Celebrity Zenith 10/2000
Carnival Valor 11/2005
NCL Dawn 11/2006
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 11/2008
Carnival Miracle 6/9/2009
Carnival Dream 8/21/2010
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 6/2011

Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you have a Trader Joe's, get a bag of Ginger Chews (made by The Ginger People) for $1.69. They work amazingly well, they were recommended by my doctor over the antihistimines used for motion sickness, and work just as well as most prescriptions for nausea and vertigo.

I would be very cautious mixing any of the antihistimines (Dramamine or Bonine) with alcohol. You might feel fine, but once you go to sleep, your respiratory function can be compromised.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi
I also take bonine every day at bedtime, I start the night before we fly out (I get air sick too). I drink a cocktail in the pm and a glass or two of wine at supper and everything has been fine. I also take ginger at breakfast and supper each day, this I start a week before the cruise.
This has been a real life saver as I even get motion sick from floating in my pool !!!

Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Lesson learned

I would not recommend it. Granted my dear husband took the drowsy kind on the 2nd night of our honeymoon, he spent a good 2 hours with him passed out after our dinner mates shared their champagne with us
Quote:

Carnival Valor 2/07
Carnival Liberty 8/08
Carnival Splendor 8/09
Carnival Freedom 6/10
Carnival Victory 6/2012 First Balcony!

Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyLineAddict View Post
If you have a Trader Joe's, get a bag of Ginger Chews (made by The Ginger People) for $1.69. They work amazingly well, they were recommended by my doctor over the antihistimines used for motion sickness, and work just as well as most prescriptions for nausea and vertigo.

I would be very cautious mixing any of the antihistimines (Dramamine or Bonine) with alcohol. You might feel fine, but once you go to sleep, your respiratory function can be compromised.
Do you know that for a fact or are you thinking of alcohol mixed with other meds such as valium? All the drug facts I could find said it ONLY enhances the effect of alcohol, that's it, nothing else. Nowhere did it say your "respiratory function" could be compromised.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgocruz1 View Post
Dramamine II and Bonine are both name brands for generic Meclizine 25mg, (which is much cheaper than buying the name brands). I get terrible motion sickness, sometimes I have to take 3 a day. One in the a.m, one right before dinner (which is when I tend to get sick) and one before bed. I drink (sometimes quite a few ) while on it and have never had any side effects. I cant even tell I am on the Meclizine except I dont get sick Now the Dramamine...I am practically comatose if I take that stuff. I may as well skip the cruise because I would sleep right thru it.

Of course, I am not promoting doing this. Have your friends talk to the Dr or Pharmacist if they feel its needed.
Can I ask where you find the generic Meclizine?

Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
Do you know that for a fact or are you thinking of alcohol mixed with other meds such as valium? All the drug facts I could find said it ONLY enhances the effect of alcohol, that's it, nothing else. Nowhere did it say your "respiratory function" could be compromised.
I wish I had some valium lol

It can happen in people with asthma, COPD, irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure and other medical conditions (sometimes unknown). If you look up the generic names for these drugs online, they give more info. and a pharmacist can give a person an entire sheet of info.

I just said to be cautious with combining them with alcohol. The amount of alcohol could make a big difference. Also, many people try a drug like this for the first time on a ship without knowing how they might react to it.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuyahoga11 View Post
Can I ask where you find the generic Meclizine?
Just ask your pharmacist, it seems around here they keep it behind the counter. I think a 100ct bottle was around $10. Much cheaper than the name brand.

They also give it out at the Purser's desk for free.

I'm not spoiled, just well taken care of!!

Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:40 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyLineAddict View Post
I wish I had some valium lol

It can happen in people with asthma, COPD, irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure and other medical conditions (sometimes unknown). If you look up the generic names for these drugs online, they give more info. and a pharmacist can give a person an entire sheet of info.

I just said to be cautious with combining them with alcohol. The amount of alcohol could make a big difference. Also, many people try a drug like this for the first time on a ship without knowing how they might react to it.
LOL, I can't begin to drink at the level I did in college, so, not a problem for me. Generally though, Meclizine is pretty benign for most people. If everyone taking sea sick meds didnt' drink, the cruiselines would lose millions.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can you only get the Ginger Capsules at Natural Food places? I'd like to pick some up and MAKE my hubby take them.....I don't really get motion sickness at all but he does if the seas are real rough and he got sick last time we went snorkeling???? I don't think I could get him to eat the Ginger candy all day long but I might be able to force a couple of Ginger Capsules/Tablets down him in the mornings and evenings?

Mandy(36) & John(34) in East Texas, Married 15+ yrs w/3 kids, Matthew(13), Sydney(11), & Joshua(8)

Previous Cruises
November 2010 - Carnival Ecstasy, cruise with mom & kids!
April 2009 - Carnival Ecstasy
April 2007 - RC Splendor Of the Seas
November 2005 - Carnival Elation

Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:59 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
I drink while taking Bonine/Less Drowsy Dramamine and have no side effects at all. Otherwise I can't cruise and drink because I get motion sick. I do try to take more ginger and less Bonine. Regular Dramamine will make you sleepy and when combined with alcohol can make it worse. There's no medical reason or drug interaction when combining alcohol and those sea sickness meds. Bonine may intensify the effects of alcohol but it's not dangerous per se.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepnite10 View Post
mixing alchol with any drug can have some adverse affects..a question
best answered by you pharmacist..
Looks like there are some differences of opinion. The bottom line is that a cruising forum is no place to seek individual medical advice. I would definitely talk to your doctor and heed his/her advice in this matter. Nobody else can say what is right for you given your particular medical history (whatever that may be).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1artsymomof3 View Post
Can you only get the Ginger Capsules at Natural Food places? I'd like to pick some up and MAKE my hubby take them.....I don't really get motion sickness at all but he does if the seas are real rough and he got sick last time we went snorkeling???? I don't think I could get him to eat the Ginger candy all day long but I might be able to force a couple of Ginger Capsules/Tablets down him in the mornings and evenings?
I got mine at Walgreen's, but save your gas and call around. The tablets are really easy to take and are concentrated. They have worked for my family.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:

I take Bonnie on each of my cruises and also have a few drinks and have never had an issue. When I first started cruising a took a whole Bonnie in the morning with breakfast. On the last couple of cruises I found that if I took 1/2 of a Bonnie at breakfast and half at bedtime it worked the best for me.
Liberty April 2008 ~ Eastern Caribbean
Valor July 2008 ~ Exotic Western Caribbean
Splendor April 2009~ Swine Flu Detour Cruise to San Fransisco
Miracle October 2009~ Southern Caribbean
Dream April 2010~ Eastern Caribbean
Miracle October 2010~ Aruba, Dominican Republic, Curacao, Grand Turk
Splendor Take 2 Cruise May 2011~ Cabo San Lucas & Puerto Vallerta
Freedom October 2011~ Cozumel, Jamaica & Grand Turk (Hurricane Rina Re-route)
Sprit April 2012~Hawaii

Legend October 2012~ Western Caribbean

Breeze April 2013~ Caribbean (Favorite Ship)
Liberty October 2013~Caribbean

Dream April 2014~Caribbean