Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > P&O Cruises ( Australia )

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old December 9th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool on board currency exchange dawn princess

Hi there,
We are heading out on the Dawn Princess from Sydney on 18/12/08. Princess lines have told me that we can exchange AUD for CPF (pacific francs) at the pursers desk, but could not tell me how much they charge or what their exchange rates are.

Does anyone have experience with this as we are wondering if it might be less expensive to exchange some money before we sail.

As you can guess we are first time cruisers and this is all new to us.

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 9th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Acugirl, hope you have a great time, no doubt you will become as addicted as the rest of us. I have never changed money on any of our cruises as most ports accept the Aussie Dollar. Some people use their cards at the ATM's in the Ports they visit as it will issue you with the local currency. Not sure how much that costs, however, I am sure someone on here could help you out.

Old December 9th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acugirl View Post
Hi there,
We are heading out on the Dawn Princess from Sydney on 18/12/08. Princess lines have told me that we can exchange AUD for CPF (pacific francs) at the pursers desk, but could not tell me how much they charge or what their exchange rates are.

Does anyone have experience with this as we are wondering if it might be less expensive to exchange some money before we sail.

Hi Acugirl, I have found it cheaper to buy the CP Francs through our local post office...the minimum is $200.00 AUS.
remember to use up the coins (unless you wish to keep some)
as the exchange only take notes.
most things are expensive in New Caledonia, two coffees were $12.00 aus. the duty free shops and some others take mastercard etc.

hope you have a wonderful cruise. The Dawn Princess is beautiful..

kind regards, Lorraine
countries visited...New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Papua/New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Fiji, American Samoa, Western Samoa, New Zealand, Tonga, Cook Islands, Tahiti,( Hawaii, Alaska, California in United States), Canada. Singapore, Malaysia,
Indonesia.

Old December 9th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

i would not bother changing as was said before you can use aussie dollars that is what we will do this time, if they dont take dollars i will not buy it.
marg

Past Cruises
Pacific Dawn Aug 2008
Pacific Dawn Dec 2008
Rhapsody of the Seas - April 2009
Pacific Dawn July 2009
Pacific Sun 50 th Birthday Cruise Oct 2009
Dawn Princess Nov 2009
Dawn Princess May 2010
Sea Princess Nov 2011
Pacific Jewel 30th Anniversary Cruise Aug 2013

Old December 10th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

As said before, yes they all take Aussie Dollars and there are ATM etc.. the smaller places dont have ATMs and they are the places that you wouldnt spend much anyway and they still take Aussie money, so as long as you have a bit of cash (coins) for the islands thats all you need.
Dawn Princess -South Pacific - NYE 2008
Pacific Dawn -South Pacific - NYE 2009
Rhapsody Of The Seas -South Pacific - NYE 2010
Pacific Pearl - South Pacific - April - 2011
Pacific Dawn - Bris -3 night - June -2011
Diamond Princess - New Zealand - NYE 2011/2012
Carnival Spirit - NYE 2012/2013
Voyager Of The Seas - NYE 2013/2014
Pacific Jewel - Sydney - Brisbane - June 2014

Old December 10th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acugirl View Post
Hi there,

For your visit to Noumea you need to consider what you want to do. You can buy a sightseeing trip in the cruise terminal on the dock for A$20, and you do not need francs. If you want to buy a day pass on the Explorer Bus and/or go to the aquarium or cultural centre, you will need francs. Allow 1,000xpf each for the bus, and the same for each entry ticket. Taxis only take francs.

I think you are going to Lifou. You will not need francs there. The locals sell a short sightseeing trip and take AUD. You do not need vatu for Vila as AUD is accepted by the taxi drivers, markets and shops.

It is a bit cheaper to buy currency before you go, but with the bank you will pay a flat fee for each currency (usually $8). If you buy currency on board the ship, the rate is not as good, but there is no additional fee. If you get money from an ATM or use your credit card there will probably be a foreign exchange fee. With ANZ it is 3%.

Hope this helps.

Evon.

Last edited by Ela 2; December 10th, 2008 at 12:50 AM.

Old December 11th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Thanks for all your help

Thanks for the helpful advice from all of you. I happened to be in the CBD here in Brisvegas yesterday so picked up a small amount for taxis etc. We fly to Sydney tomorrow for a few days before we sail. Getting very excited. Merry Christmas to all.
Acugirl

Old December 11th, 2008, 06:39 PM
5,000+ Club

You will probably find also that local banking reps will come on board to do money exchange. They did on Regal Princess coming over from LA to Sydney last year.

PRINCESS ELITE CRUISER: 356 days
Also cruised with Celebrity, P&O, Carnival, Sitmar.
World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, Central America, Caribbean,Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand and still going !

Last cruise:

Arcadia - 13 April 2014, Central Mediterranean, Southampton to Southampton - 18 days.

'Adventure before Dementia'

Old December 12th, 2008, 05:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSWP View Post
You will probably find also that local banking reps will come on board to do money exchange. They did on Regal Princess coming over from LA to Sydney last year.
Hi Les,
Didn't happen on the Sun Princess Tahiti cruise in Oct/Nov this year and I think the Purser's Office advised that they don't do that any more. The ship only had xpf. They didn't have NZ dollars, US dollars or the other currencies. At a couple of ports there was a money exchange set up on the wharf, either in a tent or in a mini van.
Evon.