Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old November 28th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bug season in Alaska?

Planning a cruise to Alasksa...seem to remember people talking about a certian time of year when flying little black bugs are a problem. What is the time of year that bugs can be a problem? Thanks in advance.

Old November 28th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

I had the similar questions. Do we see bugs in Denali and Inside passage cruise? We are looking at July or August cruise with land tour. thanks

Old November 28th, 2007, 04:58 PM
5,000+ Club

We did HAL cruisetour Aug 18th through 28th '07. We cruised from Vancouver to Tracey Arm, to Juneau to Skagway. Left the ship in Skagway, up to Whitehorse, Dawson City, Eagle, Chicken, Tok, Fairbanks, Denali and ending in Anchorage. We saw lots of gnats in the interior, 2 mosquitos in hotel room in Tok, and one little black flying bug in Denali (nobody knew what it was). We had bug repellant, but never used it and weren't bothered at all by the bugs. We had a few rain showers, so don't know if that kept the bugs down, but I was concerned for nothing. Not one bite.

Old November 28th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The only place I have had a big problem with bugs - mosquitos - is at Wonder Lake in Denali NP through about mid August. If you take the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake before then, bring plenty of bug spray and if possible a mosquito net (about $2 at Wal Mart or any sporting goods store).

John

http://bobsleghphotos.com/alaska

Old November 29th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Can you share you weather in August

[quote=agabbymama;12504119]We did HAL cruisetour Aug 18th through 28th '07. We cruised from Vancouver to Tracey Arm, to Juneau to Skagway. Left

Hi,
We'll be doing a HAL cruise tour in August 2008.
What was the weather like? Everyone says to dress in layers .. I have bought so much gear for this trip it's getting ridiculous.
What type of layers is just right for August?
What kind of rain gear? Should I bring a very warm jacket?

Bobbi & David ~

May 14, 2016 - Marina - New York to Lisbon ... October 20, 2015 - Regatta - Montreal to Miami ... January 14, 2015 - Rivieria - Mayan Mystique ...
January 23, 2014 - Riviera - Sun Splashed Isles ... August 11, 2013 - Uniworld Venice to Rome cruise/tour ... January 5, 2013 - Regatta - Between 2 Oceans - Miami to Lima ... September 12, 2012 - Marina - Continental Connoisseur - London to Barcelona ... January 2012 - Marina - Caribbean Pearls ... August 2011 - Regatta - Alaska, Canada, Oregon ... February 2011 - Nieuw Amsterdam - Eastern Caribbean ... June 2010 - Regatta - England, Ireland, Scotland, Norway ... February 2010 - Noordam - Southern Caribbean ... June 2009 - Tauck -Swiss Jewel - Budapest to Prague ... June 2008 - Regatta - Baltics ... August 2008 - Volendam - Alaska/Cruise Tour ... May 2007 - Nautica - Istanbul to Athens

Old November 29th, 2007, 08:16 AM
5,000+ Club

I guess it depends on the year. We saw quite a few mosquitos in late June when we were at Talkeetna and Denali.

They weren't super bad, but we all had bites after an evening walk even though we all applied bug spray liberally. I even waited until I got to AK to buy the bug spray since they supposedly have a higher DEET concentration, but it still seemed to have no affect on them.

The bugs in Anchorage and the Kenai Penninsula were there (like anywhere) but not enough to be noticable.

We really didn't see anything in the way of bugs on the cruise portion of our vacation.
Next Cruise - NCL Sun Dec 14, 2014 - Western Caribbean
Norwegian Sun - Feb 13 - 24 - Southern Caribbean Photo book - 1st half
Norwegian Dawn - B2B, Boston to Quebec City to Boston - Sept 27 - Oct 11, 2013 Trip Photos
Norwegian Sky - Surprise Bahamas Trip - Oct 29 - Nov 2, 2012 Photo Book
Norwegian Star - NYC to Bermuda May 13-20, 2012
Norwegian Spirit - Western Caribbean from NOLA - March 20-27, 2011 Pre-Cruise NOLA Photobook
Norwegian Sky - Bahamas - March 29-April 2, 2010 Photo Book
Explorer of the Seas - Caribbean - March 15 - 27, 2009
Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas-Aug 13-17, 2007
Sapphire Princess - Alaska - June 24-July 1, 2006
Disney Wonder - Bahamas - March 2004