Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old November 27th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default How to attach Carnival paper luggage tags?

I just printed out my electronic documents for our cruise in February on the Conquest. I know this sounds silly, but how do you attach the flimsy paper luggage tags to your luggage?
Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean - 10-31-10 (7 ports of call, if you count San Juan!!)
Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean-02-14-10
Carnival Conquest Inaugural Eastern Caribbean-02-15-09 (Parrot Head's Cruise)
Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean-02/10/08 (First Cruise)

We are off to the Exotic Western Caribbean!

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

I printed mine on card stock then placed packing tape around them.

I used a hole punch to make a hole. I then placed a cable tie through the hole, placed it on the handle of our luggage and secured the cable tie.

In the future I will print them on regular paper. The card stock and packing tape made them very bulky.

Hope that helps.

4/27/2014 NCL Dawn 12 day Carribean Repositioning
9/29/2013 Carnival Sunshine 12 day Western Mediterranean
9/2/2012 Carnival Legend/Exotic Western Carribean
3/16/2012 Carnival Spirit 9 Day Mexico
10/26/2011 NCL Jade to Greece, Turkey, Egypt
4/17/2011 NCL Pearl Panama Canal
9/4/2010 RCCL Vision of the Seas Baltic
4/18/2010 Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean
4/26/2009 Carnival Splendor Swine Flu/Not So Mexican Riviera
4/26/2008 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
10/2007 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
5/2006 Carnival Liberty 12 day Mediterranean
4/2005 Carnival Spirit12 day Hawaii
2/2004 Carnival Legend/Exotic Western Carib.
4/2003 HAL Statendam/Sea of Cortez
9/2002 Carnival Holiday/Western Caribbean
4/2001 Carnival Paradise/Western Caribbean
4/2000 Carnival Inspiration/Southern Caribbean
5/1999 RCCL/Alaska
4/1998 NCL/Pacific Coastal
5/1997 Carnival Jubilee/Mexican Riviera
2/1996 Carnival Holiday/ 4 day Baja
11/1995 Carnival Tropicale
6/1992 RCCL Viking Serenade/4 day Baja
11/1991 Carnival Jubilee
6/1981 Pacific Princess/Pacific Coastal

Old November 27th, 2007, 12:38 PM
10,000+ Club

Just have the paper tags laminated and attach with a hole punch and cord of some kind. Kinkos or a similar office supply store can help you or just cover with clear adhesive postal tape or laminating plastic.

Old November 27th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

I bought some clear duct tape at Office Depot and sealed it (laminated it) with the duct tape. I never saw clear duct tape before this. I was going to use clear packing tape otherwise.

Old November 27th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Thanks

I just got some wide clear packaging tape and that seems to work. Then just paper hole punched and ready to go!
Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean - 10-31-10 (7 ports of call, if you count San Juan!!)
Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean-02-14-10
Carnival Conquest Inaugural Eastern Caribbean-02-15-09 (Parrot Head's Cruise)
Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean-02/10/08 (First Cruise)

We are off to the Exotic Western Caribbean!

Old November 27th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can't you also get extra luggage tags at the port?

SAILED--
IMAGINATION --2/2007
FANTASY-12/2005
NAVIGATOR-12/2002

Old November 28th, 2007, 12:21 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrus03 View Post
Can't you also get extra luggage tags at the port?
We always have cruise ship tags on our luggage when we leave home. I want the airline to know where to deliver our bags if they are lost.

The tags really helped us on one trip when the plane was too heavy for a commuter to Houston. the airline pulled luggage off to lighten the load. They would go on the next flight. But they announced if the suitcases had cruise tags, they wouldn't be pulled as they wanted us to have our luggage in Galveston for the cruise. About 10 bags WERE pulled...and NOT ours.

Old November 30th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandj View Post
We always have cruise ship tags on our luggage when we leave home. I want the airline to know where to deliver our bags if they are lost.

The tags really helped us on one trip when the plane was too heavy for a commuter to Houston. the airline pulled luggage off to lighten the load. They would go on the next flight. But they announced if the suitcases had cruise tags, they wouldn't be pulled as they wanted us to have our luggage in Galveston for the cruise. About 10 bags WERE pulled...and NOT ours.

Every time we've flown we've been told to remove all tags, except one with our names on it. Did you have your name on the back of the cruise tag or was it a seperate tag? I'm just curious as to how you did it, as I like that idea. Our luggage has gotten lost way too much recently when we fly.

Old November 30th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumballz View Post
Every time we've flown we've been told to remove all tags, except one with our names on it. Did you have your name on the back of the cruise tag or was it a seperate tag? I'm just curious as to how you did it, as I like that idea. Our luggage has gotten lost way too much recently when we fly.
I am very curious about this too. It is a great safe gaurd, if the airlines will allow you to keep the cruise tags on.

Robin

Carnival Sensation 2002
Carnival Conquest 2003
Caribbean Princess 2005
Norwegian Sun 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007
Carnival Miracle 2010
Celebrity Mecury 2011
Golden Princess 2011
Adventure of the Seas 2013
Carnival Dream 2013
Caribbean Princess 2013

Old December 1st, 2007, 12:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

Good tip on using the clear tape. I have printed off our tags, and even after folding, they seem pretty questionable as to strength. I will definately try the tape.

Old December 1st, 2007, 08:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just a question............... after having to go through all that work, would you be willing to pay extra to go back to the old tags?

Old December 1st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

No - I like E-docs as they are easy to file and easy to access in case of losing them and can reprint them if needed. I use a little strapping tape and everything is fine.

Old December 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldog View Post
Just a question............... after having to go through all that work, would you be willing to pay extra to go back to the old tags?
I've wondered about that, too. I'm happy with E-docs, but I would pay $1.00 more (that should more than cover the cost of the tags and the postage) to get the "real", stronger luggage tags !

I write our regular luggage tags in pencil. On the way to the cruise I put on the hotel and the cruise info, then I erase that and on the way home I put our home address. I also put a complete itinerary in each piece of luggage.

Click for Arkansas Cruisers, Carnival Inspiration 2002, Carnival Elation 2004, Grand Princess 2004,
NCL Sun 2005, Sun Princess 2006, NCL Dream 2007, Caribbean Princess 2007, NCL Dawn 2008, Island Princess 2008, Island Princess 2009, Golden Princess 2009, Carnival Conquest 2010, Grand Princess 2010, Island Princess 2011, Grand Princess 2011, Carnival Magic 2012, Carnival Dream 2012, Island Princess 2013, Carnival Magic 2013, Carnival Legend 2014, Sea Princess 2014

Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:28 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumballz View Post
We were on Celebrity and just put the tags on along with our normal i.d. tags. Was no big deal to our airlines. Have done this for the last 2 cruises with no problem. We're cruising again next month and will do it again. I'm ready to "take a stand" if they ask us to remove them. We take non stops, so that may have something to do with it not being an issue in the past. I always tape info re the cruise ship and dates on the inside of our bags too. But I don't know if that would help us if our outside tags give our home address. I don't want them sending our bags HOME. We met a young couple on one of our cruises that did with NO luggage the entire 10 days! Their bags were shipped back to their home airport when they weren't picked up after a few days in San Juan. They bought all new clothes at the ports. What a pain!! They were not looking forward to dealing with airline for reimbursement when they returned home.

Old December 2nd, 2007, 12:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cruised in November on the Conquest with a group. One party forgot to print tags at home so they were given tags at the port w/no problems. Some who printed brought a stapler and put them on before going to the port. That worked, but a hassle to remember a stapler. I printed them out and folded as directed, applied clear packing tape to them,punched a hole at the top fold and attached thick rubber bands. They easily slipped onto the luggage handles at the port, and everything showed up including two twelve packs of soda taped together with of course an extra luggage tag.
Hope this helps.
Liberty 1/31/09
Splendor 10/18/09

Old December 2nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by THERUDYS View Post
Cruised in November on the Conquest with a group. One party forgot to print tags at home so they were given tags at the port w/no problems. Some who printed brought a stapler and put them on before going to the port. That worked, but a hassle to remember a stapler. I printed them out and folded as directed, applied clear packing tape to them,punched a hole at the top fold and attached thick rubber bands. They easily slipped onto the luggage handles at the port, and everything showed up including two twelve packs of soda taped together with of course an extra luggage tag.
Hope this helps.

We actually are talking of putting the tags on at home, pre flight, not at the port as you board the ship. Yes, you can always get new tags while you check in at the port, if you forget them.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:11 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandj View Post
I don't want them sending our bags HOME. We met a young couple on one of our cruises that did with NO luggage the entire 10 days! Their bags were shipped back to their home airport when they weren't picked up after a few days in San Juan.
If they waited for a few days they were lucky their luggage was anywhere to be found. I'm guessing the airline would not honor any claims on that one - sorry after days I don't have a bit of sympathy on that one.

When I traveled for a living, the airlines attempt to contact by phone and any paperwork you fill out when you go to the counter in baggage claims will ask where you are staying, then they deliver. They don't just ship it back to where it came from.

Old December 4th, 2007, 02:56 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindrid View Post
If they waited for a few days they were lucky their luggage was anywhere to be found. I'm guessing the airline would not honor any claims on that one - sorry after days I don't have a bit of sympathy on that one.

When I traveled for a living, the airlines attempt to contact by phone and any paperwork you fill out when you go to the counter in baggage claims will ask where you are staying, then they deliver. They don't just ship it back to where it came from.

They did not put in for a claim with the airlines, once they located the bags back in their home state. ( I think I remember them getting something from their insurance coverage to buy new things. ) They couldn't do much re: locating the bags while on board their ship. What they did learn was to plan their next cruise with a pre cruise hotel stay, so if the bags don't make it with them, they will probably be able to get them before the ship sailed the next day.

I agree you'd think the bags would have been sitting in San Juan waiting for them after the cruise. THat's what they expected. Instead they were back in Seattle. Figure that out.