Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Saving Money on Your Cruise - Tips & Advice

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Saving Money on Your Cruise - Tips & Advice Offer up your advice for saving money on cruises...from booking tips to info on shore excursions.

Old October 17th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Diamonds International Dispute

What has been your experience with resolving disputes with Diamonds International? I have a bracelet that did not have the color specified at the shop. They are trying to double talk me and I wanted to find out if anyone had any experience in resolving claims.

My Advice.....
DO NOT SHOP THERE!!! I NEVER WILL AGAIN!!!!!!!!

Old October 17th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Did you pay with a credit card?

Past Cruises:
MS Trollfjord - Hurtigruten Northbound - 8/11/04 - 8/18/04
Carnival Miracle - Exotic Western Caribbean - 9/25/05 - 10/2/05
Carnival Inspiration - Western Caribbean - 6/9/07 - 6/14/07
Carnival Sensation - Bahamas - 1/24/08 - 1/27/08
Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean - 9/13/08 - 9/20/08
Carnival Inspiration - Cozumel - 3/19/09 - 3/23/09
Norwegian Pearl - Eastern Caribbean - 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
Carnival Inspiration - Western Caribbean - 9/11/10 - 9/16/10
Carnival Legend - Exotic Western Caribbean - 7/3/11 - 7/10/11
Carnival Imagination - Bahamas - 12/28/12-12/31/12
Carnival Victory - 5 Day Western Caribbean - 3/9/13-3/14/13
Carnival Victory - 4 Day Western Caribbean -3/14/13-3/18/13
Carnival Paradise - 4 Day Western Caribbean -7/31/14-8/4/14

Old October 17th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ternational%22

The above is a link to a recent discussion of Diamonds International. Use the Search function here, you'll find a bunch more discussions.

Old October 21st, 2005, 10:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

I had a bad experience with DI, too. On a Royal Caribbean cruise, I purchased two diamond and tanzanite rings at DI in Cozumel...one for me and one for my mom. Upon returning home, I had both rings appraised. One appraised for $1200 less than what I paid and the other for $800 less. My mom decided to just take the loss. When I tried to get my money back, I found out that DI has a return policy (which they don't tell you about, although it is on the back of the receipt) that states that they will only accept returns if you sign agreeing to a store refund. They give no cash refunds. Given our bad experience, I didn't trust the quality of any of DI's merchandise and didn't want store credit. We filed a dispute with our credit card company. In order to get the merchandise returned to DI, we had to sign the form saying we would take store credit. We received the store credit but continued with our dispute through the CC company. DI had 90 days to appeal the dispute, but missed the deadline, so our CC company reversed the charge and we got our money back.

BTW, my mom's center stone (the tanzanite) fell out of her ring about two months after we got home. Also, my friend who was travelling with us purchased a three diamond anniversary ring which appraised at $1,000 less than what she paid, as well.

I know that cruise lines are paid by companies to recommend stores, but it's beyond me why they continue to give paid endorsements to a terrible company like Diamonds International.

Old October 27th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

It's my understanding that if you shop at cruiseline recommended stores, the cruiseline stands behind the product also. At least on HAL lines they do. I have shopped DI many times and have had no problems. In the future always ask to see thier loop and examine the stones on your own. you don't have to be a gemologist to see if the stone is full of inclusions or carbon.
Again, I would contact the cruiseline.

Future Cruises:

Celebrity Solstice 09/12/14
Celebrity Equinox 10/15/15
Celebrity Equinox 10/27/15 TA

Past Cruises:

HAL Westerdam 12/98
Island Princess 10/03
Dawn Princess 12/04
HAL Maasdam 04/05
Celebrity Summit 9/05
HAL Maasdam 12/05
Celebrity Summit 9/06
Sun Princess 12/06
Coral Princess 4/07
Celebrity Summit 9/07
Radiance of Seas 10/07
Celebrity Galaxy 1/08
Emerald Princess 10/08 -TA
Vision of the Seas 1/09
Serenade of Seas 5/09 - TA
Navigator of Seas 11/09 - TA
Navigator of Seas 11/09
Independence Seas 4/10 - TA
Explorer of the Seas 9/10
Celebrity Eclipse 10/10 - TA
Crown Princess 5/7/11 - TA
Celebrity Eclipse 10/30/11 -TA
Serenade the Seas 4/21/12 - TA
Serenade of the Seas 5/5/12

Ruby Princess 10/9/12 - TA
Explorer of the Seas 12/03/12
Celebrity Solstice 05/06/13
Crown Princess 10/26/13 - TA
Explore of the Seas 12/02/13
Ruby Princess TA 4/27/14
Ruby (British Isles) 5/11/14

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 29th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

My observation (which is admittedly limited) is that DI really makes more profit on the gold settings than the stones themselves. I bought a beautiful .86CW loose tanzanite there for under $400 about a year and a half ago, then had it set by a reputable jewel at home. The advice of looking through their loop and also watching them when they weigh your stone is sound. It's much harder to do this though with stones that have already been set.
Explorer of the Seas - 2003; Voyager of the Seas - 2004; Adventure of the Seas - 2006; Majesty of the Seas - 2006; Enchantment of the Seas - 2007; Explorer of the Seas 2008; Majesty of the Seas - 2008; Grandeur of the Seas - 2008; Grandeur of the Seas - 2009; Freedom of the Seas - 2010; Majesty of the Seas B2B - 2010; Celebrity Century 2011; Jewel of the Seas 2011; Serenade of the Seas - 2012; Jewel of the Seas - 2012; Brilliance of the Seas - 2013; Celebrity Century B2B2B - 2014

Old October 29th, 2005, 02:24 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfan87
I had a bad experience with DI, too. On a Royal Caribbean cruise, I purchased two diamond and tanzanite rings at DI in Cozumel...one for me and one for my mom. Upon returning home, I had both rings appraised. One appraised for $1200 less than what I paid and the other for $800 less. My mom decided to just take the loss. When I tried to get my money back, I found out that DI has a return policy (which they don't tell you about, although it is on the back of the receipt) that states that they will only accept returns if you sign agreeing to a store refund. They give no cash refunds. Given our bad experience, I didn't trust the quality of any of DI's merchandise and didn't want store credit. We filed a dispute with our credit card company. In order to get the merchandise returned to DI, we had to sign the form saying we would take store credit. We received the store credit but continued with our dispute through the CC company. DI had 90 days to appeal the dispute, but missed the deadline, so our CC company reversed the charge and we got our money back.

BTW, my mom's center stone (the tanzanite) fell out of her ring about two months after we got home. Also, my friend who was travelling with us purchased a three diamond anniversary ring which appraised at $1,000 less than what she paid, as well.

I know that cruise lines are paid by companies to recommend stores, but it's beyond me why they continue to give paid endorsements to a terrible company like Diamonds International.
We have bought a lot of jewelry over the years from DI and never had a problem. However, if I were going to buy jewelry that costs thousands of dollars I think I would purchase them in my home town from a reputable jeweler. Once you leave the island you don't have much luck with having them make it right.

Old November 1st, 2005, 09:10 PM
5,000+ Club

I agree heartily .. in fact prices in the Caribbean are often higher than they are here and at reputable places in the U.S.. a friend got a "buy" on Tanzanite in the Caribbean (ship store) and found the same ring on QVC.. I bought it and it appraised 100 higher than hers! Also got a watch I loved in St Maarten, knew it was within $20 of at home but just decided to buy it there.. it happened to be a ship recommended shop so I got a "special" deal ... well got back to ship and next day took box out and there was a price on the bottom that someone forgot to take off that was $15 less than I paid for it..

That was comparable to home but bottom line: why hassle with ship store returns etc.. if it's that expensive buy it at home

http://www.cruisecritic.com/badges/
www.cruisecritic.com/newsletter
www.cruisecritic.co.uk/newsletter
www.independenttraveler.com/newsletter

Old November 11th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just got back from the caribbean and my boyfriend bought me a one carat diamond ring from Diamonds International. Now we find out that the quality isn't as great as they said it was and we may have paid more then what the value of the ring is worth. We're in the midst of finding an independent jeweler for an appraisal but I'm upset beyond words! Any advice on what to do and if we can get our money back? Any help would be so much appreciated.

Old November 11th, 2005, 06:40 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacat!on
I just got back from the caribbean and my boyfriend bought me a one carat diamond ring from Diamonds International. Now we find out that the quality isn't as great as they said it was and we may have paid more then what the value of the ring is worth. We're in the midst of finding an independent jeweler for an appraisal but I'm upset beyond words! Any advice on what to do and if we can get our money back? Any help would be so much appreciated.
Read Hogfan's message, (message #4) to learn how she got her money back.

I assume you paid with a credit card and a good credit card like AMEX that stands with their customers.

I'm also assuming that DI gave you a receipt that notes the quality of the stone....cut, color and size. If your independant appraisal shows that they sold you a lesser quality, that's pure fraud and your credit card company should not hold you responsible for payment. Fight it! However, if the quality matches what they said it was and you simply over paid, then there's probably nothing that you can do.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:28 PM
5,000+ Club

We seldom purchase anything at those cruise ship recommended stores. Each of these 'recommended' establishments pays the cruise line a monthly fee for this recommendation...as much as $1200US per month. Multiply that by the number of recommended stores and again by the number of ports. Prices are adjusted accordingly.

Old November 28th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default we have a problem too...

We went and bought two necklaces from them. One we were told was a half carat diamond necklace and a carat tanzanite with diamonds on it. Once we got on the ship we noticed that on the sales receipt the salesman put that the diamond necklace was only .27 carat (less than stated). He sold us the necklace for double what we could have gotten it in the states. We thought the price was good for a half carat diamond necklace...ugh! The tanzanite was within 30 dollars of what it sells for here.
We are in the process of finding an independent appraiser and thinking of calling diamonds international on the diamond sale

HAL Westerdam: 11/13 -11/20/2005 Western Carribean

Old November 30th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default don't buy from DI

Nightmare...won't get into it, but I agree with most of the people here. Do not buy from Diamonds International! Also, beware other stores that have DI as their parent company but don't advertise this.

Old November 30th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Exclamation Diamond International - long please read all!!

We sailed on the Navigator on 11/5. Shopped in St. Martin at Diamonds International with our trusty coupon book. Husband purchased a diamond wedding band that ended up costing us $765.00 (Not bad price as he really like they style).

The ring needed to be resized. They were to add gold; they hammered it out instead and it needed to be refixed. He would up with a size 13 not a
12 as needed. He was not feeling well and we were running late for boat so he took ring. Had I been in the store, trust me, we would not have taken it.

I sent Royal Caribbean - Customer Service Lady Marina a 3 page scathing letter re this purchase. After a go around with her and Diamond Inter. we are getting the money for the repair of the ring (repaired in FL) and a $100 gift certificate. I didn't want the gift certificate as I will never shop there again, but that was all they would do. They wanted to give me $50 but after a go around with a Manager they upped it.

You can be assured that next cruise when they "Hawk" that store at the seminar I will be loud and clear!!! Mgr. at Diamond Store told us they get a kick back from cruise ships either weekly or daily. That's why they ask for the ship we are on!!

By accident we wandered into Grand Jewelers in ST. Martin. Hubby picked out a 2 carat princess diamond and my sister and I picked out a diamond setting for it. Took it right to the Appraiser (Indep Certified Appraiser) when we got home and it appraised at $7,500 more than we paid for it. They were fabulous to deal. See RAJ and tell him Debbie, Marla and Bruce sent you. They make you feel like family. Raj even called our home to see how my husband was feeling.

Funny, this store is NOT on their list of "recommended" stores. The cruise lines (as I stated in my letter to Marina) need to stop and think what they are doing. We trust their advice and get s--t on for listening. More of us need to write the cruise line and fight back.

Please e-mail me if you need further info on how we received some satisfaction.

Debbie

Old December 10th, 2005, 05:56 PM
10,000+ Club

Hmmm...isn't the cruise line supposed to stand behind purchases made at recommended stores?

Yikes.....guess I won't be shopping at these places anymore.

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

Cape Liberty Area Hotel Photos

Click ship names below to go to albums!

My Cruise History:
Explorer of the Seas x12, Freedom x 1, Serenade x2, Summit x3, Jewel x1, Adventure, x1, Grandeur x2, Navigator x1, Enchantment, x4, CCL Pride x2, CCL Miracle x1
218 Total Nights At Sea!
illegitmi non carborundum kmt

Old December 14th, 2005, 03:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

If you're willing to buy diamonds or jewelry from those kinds of places, you deserve to get ripped off.

Check out www.pricescope.com, read through the forms about diamonds.

Appraisals aren't worth the paper they are written on unless the appraiser is a member of an independent appraisal organization. They must not sell jewlery at all. Only do appraisals. So you folks that got that BS appraisal from your jeweler when you got your diamond. It's pure crap. How can they sell you something at half the price they say it's "appraised" for.

Alex

Old December 17th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have never bought anything from DI, but did end up getting a tanzanite ring from an off-the-beat jewlery store in St. Thomas. Bought it because it was the most unusual setting I have ever seen. Ended up paying 500 for it and every jewler I have spoken with just loves it. Best advice is to just be careful and avoid the recommended stores if not for the simple reason of them being crowded.

07/2014 Carnival Victory Miami, Key West, Cozumel
04/2014 Carnival Imagination Long Beach, Catalina, Ensenada
02/2014 Carnival Sunshine New Orleans, Belize, Roatan, Cozumel - John Heald's Blogger's Cruise
02/2013 Carnival Imagination Miami, Cozumel, Key West - Platinum!!!!
06/2012 Carnival Glory Boston, St. John, Halifax
10/2011 Carnival Legend Tampa, Cozumel, Belize, Honduras, Grand Cayman
11/2010 Carnival Victory San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Maarten
10/2010 Carnival Inspiration Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
11/2009 Carnival Freedom Ft. Lauderdale, Cozumel, Costa Rica, Panama
11/2006 Carnival Sensation Pt. Canaveral, Freeport, Nassau
02/2006 Celebrity Zenith Miami, Grand Cayman, Key West (I cheated on Carnival)
08/2004 Carnival Paradise Miami, Cozumel, Belize, Honduras, Costa Maya - Thank you Hurricane Charley!
09/2003 Carnival Inspiration Tampa, Grand Cayman, Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel
08/2002 Carnival Victory Miami, San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten

Old December 17th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were totally turned off by the hard sell for DI and similar during what we thought was going to be a port talk. Having arrived hoping to find out information about the islands we were subjected to hard sell. After suffering this for a while we walked out. We did not even enter a DI store when ashore.

Old December 17th, 2005, 12:18 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by moolman
If you're willing to buy diamonds or jewelry from those kinds of places, you deserve to get ripped off.
Ouch! I think that's pretty harsh.

These places have been in business for many many years and so many of the cruiselines recommend them that it's easy to understand why someone would take them at their word in reference to appraisals and value.

Personally, we don't buy expensive jewelry at those island places. We're quite saavy when it comes to stones, their value and the price of gold per gram. We did buy a watch once, but we did our homework first and knew the best price available in the states before even walking into the store.

But I think your opinion - that people that they deserve to be ripped off for going into a well known jewelry store that the cruiseline recommends because they may not be as knowledgable as you - or I - is pretty flaming and doesn't help anyone here.

Jane

Old December 17th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

I personally don't understand what the big fascination with diamonds is in the first place. Investment? hmmmm.... The prices are basically controlled by a cartel controlled by the DeBeers family. If you're interested, read:

http://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~lcabral/...g/debeers3.pdf
Grand Princess Aug-07 ~ British Isles, Ireland & Le Havre France
NCL Jade Nov-08 ~ Spain, Morocco, Canary Islands, Portugal, Gibralter & Mallorca
Crown Princess Feb-09 ~ Eastern Caribbean (Princess Cays, St. Maarten, St. Thomas & Grand Turk)
Grand Princess Mar-13 ~ San Francisco, Catalina Island, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, San Diego
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There's NO SUCH THING as TOO MANY Vacations!
VIEW OUR TRAVEL SLIDESHOWS HERE!
To e-Mail Me: CLICK ON THIS LINK