Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Crystal Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Crystal Cruises
Read Crystal Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Crystal Cruise Deals.

Register for a Cruise Critic/Crystal Cruises Meet & Mingle

Need to make a change or addition to your Meet & Mingle registration? Update Your Meet & Mingle Registration

GO TO: Crystal ROLL CALL Forums

Old June 3rd, 2014, 09:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Music?

What's your favorite kind of music or specific songs you like to hear on cruise ships especially if you are on crystal?

Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hands down it's got to be Louis' "What a Wonderful World" because it signifies that we are embarking on a great experience.

Jay

Old June 3rd, 2014, 12:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Location: Rural Johnson County Texas which is south of Fort Worth

Depends on where it is on the ship. In general I prefer silence in most cases and in most locations.

Old June 3rd, 2014, 12:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with Paint Horse. Other than in lounges and theaters, music on a cruise ship can be very intrusive, especially if you're trying to have a quiet meal or conversation in dining areas, or relax by the pool.

Old June 3rd, 2014, 01:19 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssabs View Post
Hands down it's got to be Louis' "What a Wonderful World" because it signifies that we are embarking on a great experience.

Jay
Gee, I never thought of that as "music". Especially when I'm on the Symphony Sun Deck looking down on the bridge wings watching the officers tweak the controls, the thruster wash rolling alongside the ship and the skyline slowly starting to move that's a sensual experience that transcends any music, even though it is a lovely song.

I have so many favorites, especially the Avenue Saloon and the jam sessions where the Galaxy and Stardust/Starlite orchestras join up, but I love just about all of it.

Roy

Future cruises:

10/28/14 QM2 EB Transatlantic >>> Wind Star WB Transatlantic
12/28/14 Ryndam Western Caribbean
1/23/15 MS Maasdam FTL to Rio
3/13/15 Grandeur OTS B2B BWI-Bahamas-Caribbean
5/4/15 Crystal Serenity EB Transatlantic >> 5/20/15 Prinsendam Kiel/Celtic Collectors
10/11/15 QM2 TA New York > Southampton >>> 10/22/15 Allure of the Seas Transatlantic from Rome
1/27/16 Crystal Symphony Buenos Aires-Antarctica-Miami
8/16/16 Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 3rd, 2014, 02:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf12 View Post
What's your favorite kind of music or specific songs you like to hear on cruise ships especially if you are on crystal?
I'm very happy with no music outside of the lounge areas - the sound of the wind and sea is what I like. I like the classical trio that plays in the Crystal Cove and Palm Court, and this trip I hope to sample the Avenue Saloon late night.

Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

We lobbied hard to kill the Lido deck music which also played loudly in Palm Court. I think it worked as there was none on our last cruise in August/September.

Last edited by suzeluvscruz; June 3rd, 2014 at 07:06 PM.

Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafinmd View Post
Gee, I never thought of that as "music". Especially when I'm on the Symphony Sun Deck looking down on the bridge wings watching the officers tweak the controls, the thruster wash rolling alongside the ship and the skyline slowly starting to move that's a sensual experience that transcends any music, even though it is a lovely song.

I have so many favorites, especially the Avenue Saloon and the jam sessions where the Galaxy and Stardust/Starlite orchestras join up, but I love just about all of it.

Roy
Agree. After Louis it has to be the wake on aft decks. Trying to find that sound for iPad or iPhone on iTunes, but no luck so far

Old June 4th, 2014, 06:04 AM
5,000+ Club

I love listening to Joe Foos in the Crystal Cove and anything he plays. We happened to see him a few days ago and he was not playing the piano.

At home I love hearing "What a Wonderful World" sung by anyone because it reminds me of Crystal.
Carol

Old June 4th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeluvscruz View Post
We lobbied hard to kill the Lido deck music which also played loudly in Palm Court. I think it worked as there was none on our last cruise in August/September.
I think that recorded music should be low, just barely loud enough to be heard over the ship's sounds, and should be some but not all places, and some but not all times. It should be sophisticated and elegant, appropriate to the venue. The live poolside music can be louder, more "fun" and even campier, but the recorded music should be *background* music.

Old June 7th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

I find the live music by the pool terribly offensive when I am trying to read a book, have a chat with a friend, take a nap etc.

Last edited by Crownimperial; June 7th, 2014 at 06:39 AM.

Old June 7th, 2014, 06:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crownimperial View Post
I find the live music by the pool terribly offensive when I am trying to read a book, have a chat with a friend, take a nap etc.
I'd say I found it very annoying rather than "offensive", but in general I agree. However, I found it only happened for a while over the lunch period, so I moved elsewhere for a while.

Old June 7th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

Well it goes without saying that our number one favorite is "Louie". Actually when I hear it at home or any other place, I tear up.......oh heck, I tear up onboard as well!!!
As for other music, anything that Mark wants to play in the Saloon after hours is perfect. Doesn't get much better!

Old June 7th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crownimperial View Post
The live music on Lido only happens on sea days, and only for an hour. We like it and know many others do as well. During that hour there are so many other places to not hear music . . . . Aft decks, Palm Court, Crystal Cove, Library, Bistro . . . . . Why not let us enjoy our little bit of music? Thanks

Old June 7th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
The live music on Lido only happens on sea days, and only for an hour. We like it and know many others do as well. During that hour there are so many other places to not hear music . . . . Aft decks, Palm Court, Crystal Cove, Library, Bistro . . . . . Why not let us enjoy our little bit of music? Thanks
+1... It's the only place onboard with music at that hour, so the entire rest of the ship and open decks are available for quiet time -- including places like the aft decks which are quieter to start with than the pool is.

My only complaint is that sometimes the groups can't carry a tune in a...errr...swimming pool. They didn't do everything badly, but there were several songs over the course of my last cruise that sent me back in from the pool very quickly before my ears started bleeding. That's unusual though, in my experience.

Vince

Last edited by BWIVince; June 7th, 2014 at 06:48 PM.

Old June 7th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWIVince View Post
+1... It's the only place onboard with music at that hour, so the entire rest of the ship and open decks are available for quiet time -- including places like the aft decks which are quieter to start with than the pool is.

My only complaint is that sometimes the groups can't carry a tune in a...errr...swimming pool. They didn't do everything badly, but there were several songs over the course of my last cruise that sent me back in from the pool very quickly before my ears started bleeding. That's unusual though, in my experience.

Vince
Although always (?) called the Crystal Sixtect, the members vary and dome groups are better than others. One day, which I don't think was announced, a member of the group that usually performs in Palm Court showed up, placed a stool and microphone on the stage and proceeded to give a fabulous one hour concert, singing while accompanying himself on accoustic quitar. Absolutely beautiful. Dead silence during each number followed by huge applause. It was wonderful.

Sometimes, depending on the passenger mix, it can be really fun. I will never forget Alan and Cleary jumping onto the low pool wall, complete with serving trays, and leading YMCA. the place was rockin!

Old June 7th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

We like peace and quiet on the pool deck. The recorded music is in our opinion disturbing as we read and perhaps nap. The Crystel Sextet is ok if you want to cha cha, but when they play, we leave. Maybe we're part of the demographic that likes to relax as we enjoy the sea, sun and breeze, and a younger guest might appreciate the music. We can understand that, and if we aren't happy on the pool deck, there are many other places on the ship which can suit us.

Old June 7th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by marienbad View Post
We like peace and quiet on the pool deck. The recorded music is in our opinion disturbing as we read and perhaps nap. The Crystel Sextet is ok if you want to cha cha, but when they play, we leave. Maybe we're part of the demographic that likes to relax as we enjoy the sea, sun and breeze, and a younger guest might appreciate the music. We can understand that, and if we aren't happy on the pool deck, there are many other places on the ship which can suit us.
I don't remember ever hearing recorded music on the pool deck.

Old June 7th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was VERY upset when they played that REALLY loud rap music in the Crystal Dining Room during early seating!!!!

Fiddy Cent does NOT go with Escargot !!!!

Scott

Old June 7th, 2014, 11:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CwazeAndCwaze View Post
I was VERY upset when they played that REALLY loud rap music in the Crystal Dining Room during early seating!!!!

Fiddy Cent does NOT go with Escargot !!!!

Scott
Well, yes, if you want to be picky, but you have to admit the Bunny Hop Remi led through the MDR afterwards was fun . . . . Even tho it interrupted the Baked Alaska Parade. Sometime ya just gotta go with the flow. And those drinks with the cute umbrellas were the perfect touch!

Last edited by Rally; June 7th, 2014 at 11:07 PM.