Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Crystal Cruises
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Crystal Cruises
Read Crystal Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Crystal Cruise Deals.


Register for a Cruise Critic/Crystal Cruises Meet & Mingle

Need to make a change or addition to your Meet & Mingle registration? Update Your Meet & Mingle Registration

GO TO: Crystal ROLL CALL Forums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 3rd, 2014, 09:40 AM
asdf12 asdf12 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
Default Music?

What's your favorite kind of music or specific songs you like to hear on cruise ships especially if you are on crystal?
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:07 AM
jssabs jssabs is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 266
Default

Hands down it's got to be Louis' "What a Wonderful World" because it signifies that we are embarking on a great experience.

Jay
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old June 3rd, 2014, 12:32 PM
Paint Horse Paint Horse is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Rural Johnson County Texas which is south of Fort Worth
Posts: 485
Default

Depends on where it is on the ship. In general I prefer silence in most cases and in most locations.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old June 3rd, 2014, 12:49 PM
Seafairer Seafairer is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 973
Default

I agree with Paint Horse. Other than in lounges and theaters, music on a cruise ship can be very intrusive, especially if you're trying to have a quiet meal or conversation in dining areas, or relax by the pool.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old June 3rd, 2014, 01:19 PM
rafinmd's Avatar
rafinmd rafinmd is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Central Maryland
Posts: 9,508
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssabs View Post
Hands down it's got to be Louis' "What a Wonderful World" because it signifies that we are embarking on a great experience.

Jay
Gee, I never thought of that as "music". Especially when I'm on the Symphony Sun Deck looking down on the bridge wings watching the officers tweak the controls, the thruster wash rolling alongside the ship and the skyline slowly starting to move that's a sensual experience that transcends any music, even though it is a lovely song.

I have so many favorites, especially the Avenue Saloon and the jam sessions where the Galaxy and Stardust/Starlite orchestras join up, but I love just about all of it.

Roy
__________________
Index to active Crystal Roll Calls
Limited View Cabins

Future cruises:

10/28/14 QM2 EB Transatlantic >>> Wind Star WB Transatlantic
12/28/14 Ryndam Western Caribbean
1/23/15 MS Maasdam FTL to Rio
3/13/15 Grandeur OTS B2B BWI-Bahamas-Caribbean
5/4/15 Crystal Serenity EB Transatlantic >> 5/20/15 Prinsendam Kiel/Celtic Collectors
10/11/15 QM2 TA New York > Southampton >>> 10/22/15 Allure of the Seas Transatlantic from Rome
1/27/16 Crystal Symphony Buenos Aires-Antarctica-Miami
8/16/16 Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old June 3rd, 2014, 02:24 PM
calliopecruiser calliopecruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf12 View Post
What's your favorite kind of music or specific songs you like to hear on cruise ships especially if you are on crystal?
I'm very happy with no music outside of the lounge areas - the sound of the wind and sea is what I like. I like the classical trio that plays in the Crystal Cove and Palm Court, and this trip I hope to sample the Avenue Saloon late night.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:05 PM
suzeluvscruz suzeluvscruz is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 437
Default

We lobbied hard to kill the Lido deck music which also played loudly in Palm Court. I think it worked as there was none on our last cruise in August/September.

Last edited by suzeluvscruz; June 3rd, 2014 at 07:06 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:23 PM
Rally's Avatar
Rally Rally is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Palm Desert, California
Posts: 1,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafinmd View Post
Gee, I never thought of that as "music". Especially when I'm on the Symphony Sun Deck looking down on the bridge wings watching the officers tweak the controls, the thruster wash rolling alongside the ship and the skyline slowly starting to move that's a sensual experience that transcends any music, even though it is a lovely song.

I have so many favorites, especially the Avenue Saloon and the jam sessions where the Galaxy and Stardust/Starlite orchestras join up, but I love just about all of it.

Roy
Agree. After Louis it has to be the wake on aft decks. Trying to find that sound for iPad or iPhone on iTunes, but no luck so far
__________________
Crystal, SilverSea, Regent, Paul Gauguin and Matson
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old June 4th, 2014, 06:04 AM
CruisinMommas's Avatar
CruisinMommas CruisinMommas is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Right Coast
Posts: 6,131
Default

I love listening to Joe Foos in the Crystal Cove and anything he plays. We happened to see him a few days ago and he was not playing the piano.

At home I love hearing "What a Wonderful World" sung by anyone because it reminds me of Crystal.
Carol
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old June 4th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Crz2Fla Crz2Fla is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeluvscruz View Post
We lobbied hard to kill the Lido deck music which also played loudly in Palm Court. I think it worked as there was none on our last cruise in August/September.
I think that recorded music should be low, just barely loud enough to be heard over the ship's sounds, and should be some but not all places, and some but not all times. It should be sophisticated and elegant, appropriate to the venue. The live poolside music can be louder, more "fun" and even campier, but the recorded music should be *background* music.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old June 7th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Crownimperial Crownimperial is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 4
Default

I find the live music by the pool terribly offensive when I am trying to read a book, have a chat with a friend, take a nap etc.

Last edited by Crownimperial; June 7th, 2014 at 06:39 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old June 7th, 2014, 06:54 AM
calliopecruiser calliopecruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,602
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crownimperial View Post
I find the live music by the pool terribly offensive when I am trying to read a book, have a chat with a friend, take a nap etc.
I'd say I found it very annoying rather than "offensive", but in general I agree. However, I found it only happened for a while over the lunch period, so I moved elsewhere for a while.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old June 7th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Mudhen Mudhen is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 869
Wink

Well it goes without saying that our number one favorite is "Louie". Actually when I hear it at home or any other place, I tear up.......oh heck, I tear up onboard as well!!!
As for other music, anything that Mark wants to play in the Saloon after hours is perfect. Doesn't get much better!
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old June 7th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Rally's Avatar
Rally Rally is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Palm Desert, California
Posts: 1,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crownimperial View Post
I find the live music by the pool terribly offensive when I am trying to read a book, have a chat with a friend, take a nap etc.
The live music on Lido only happens on sea days, and only for an hour. We like it and know many others do as well. During that hour there are so many other places to not hear music . . . . Aft decks, Palm Court, Crystal Cove, Library, Bistro . . . . . Why not let us enjoy our little bit of music? Thanks
__________________
Crystal, SilverSea, Regent, Paul Gauguin and Matson
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old June 7th, 2014, 06:48 PM
BWIVince BWIVince is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,112
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
The live music on Lido only happens on sea days, and only for an hour. We like it and know many others do as well. During that hour there are so many other places to not hear music . . . . Aft decks, Palm Court, Crystal Cove, Library, Bistro . . . . . Why not let us enjoy our little bit of music? Thanks
+1... It's the only place onboard with music at that hour, so the entire rest of the ship and open decks are available for quiet time -- including places like the aft decks which are quieter to start with than the pool is.

My only complaint is that sometimes the groups can't carry a tune in a...errr...swimming pool. They didn't do everything badly, but there were several songs over the course of my last cruise that sent me back in from the pool very quickly before my ears started bleeding. That's unusual though, in my experience.

Vince

Last edited by BWIVince; June 7th, 2014 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old June 7th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Rally's Avatar
Rally Rally is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Palm Desert, California
Posts: 1,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWIVince View Post
+1... It's the only place onboard with music at that hour, so the entire rest of the ship and open decks are available for quiet time -- including places like the aft decks which are quieter to start with than the pool is.

My only complaint is that sometimes the groups can't carry a tune in a...errr...swimming pool. They didn't do everything badly, but there were several songs over the course of my last cruise that sent me back in from the pool very quickly before my ears started bleeding. That's unusual though, in my experience.

Vince
Although always (?) called the Crystal Sixtect, the members vary and dome groups are better than others. One day, which I don't think was announced, a member of the group that usually performs in Palm Court showed up, placed a stool and microphone on the stage and proceeded to give a fabulous one hour concert, singing while accompanying himself on accoustic quitar. Absolutely beautiful. Dead silence during each number followed by huge applause. It was wonderful.

Sometimes, depending on the passenger mix, it can be really fun. I will never forget Alan and Cleary jumping onto the low pool wall, complete with serving trays, and leading YMCA. the place was rockin!
__________________
Crystal, SilverSea, Regent, Paul Gauguin and Matson
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old June 7th, 2014, 08:47 PM
marienbad marienbad is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: fort lauderdale, fl, usa
Posts: 945
Default

We like peace and quiet on the pool deck. The recorded music is in our opinion disturbing as we read and perhaps nap. The Crystel Sextet is ok if you want to cha cha, but when they play, we leave. Maybe we're part of the demographic that likes to relax as we enjoy the sea, sun and breeze, and a younger guest might appreciate the music. We can understand that, and if we aren't happy on the pool deck, there are many other places on the ship which can suit us.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old June 7th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Rally's Avatar
Rally Rally is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Palm Desert, California
Posts: 1,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marienbad View Post
We like peace and quiet on the pool deck. The recorded music is in our opinion disturbing as we read and perhaps nap. The Crystel Sextet is ok if you want to cha cha, but when they play, we leave. Maybe we're part of the demographic that likes to relax as we enjoy the sea, sun and breeze, and a younger guest might appreciate the music. We can understand that, and if we aren't happy on the pool deck, there are many other places on the ship which can suit us.
I don't remember ever hearing recorded music on the pool deck.
__________________
Crystal, SilverSea, Regent, Paul Gauguin and Matson
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old June 7th, 2014, 11:00 PM
CwazeAndCwaze's Avatar
CwazeAndCwaze CwazeAndCwaze is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 750
Default

I was VERY upset when they played that REALLY loud rap music in the Crystal Dining Room during early seating!!!!

Fiddy Cent does NOT go with Escargot !!!!

,
Scott
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old June 7th, 2014, 11:06 PM
Rally's Avatar
Rally Rally is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Palm Desert, California
Posts: 1,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CwazeAndCwaze View Post
I was VERY upset when they played that REALLY loud rap music in the Crystal Dining Room during early seating!!!!

Fiddy Cent does NOT go with Escargot !!!!

,
Scott
Well, yes, if you want to be picky, but you have to admit the Bunny Hop Remi led through the MDR afterwards was fun . . . . Even tho it interrupted the Baked Alaska Parade. Sometime ya just gotta go with the flow. And those drinks with the cute umbrellas were the perfect touch!
__________________
Crystal, SilverSea, Regent, Paul Gauguin and Matson

Last edited by Rally; June 7th, 2014 at 11:07 PM.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.
Cookie ConsentCookie Policy