Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Fashions & Beauty
Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too

Old May 30th, 2014, 01:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Packing Techniques

So, this may be a strange question.....

What do you find is the most efficient way to pack items in a suitcase? Typically, I just fold things into two piles, cram the smaller things where the gaps are, and voila! This also is when I leave locally and have (basically) no restriction on luggage. I take enough clothes for "what if" plus a daily change of clothes, some pants for crazy flaky weather, etc. I can admit I do overpack.

Now, my family and I will be flying for our upcoming vacation - and I am SUPER nervous about getting everything in the bags! We have 7 of us all together, me, hubby, and 5 kids. I am looking to take 4 bags of checked luggage and maybe 1 carry on if necessary?

So my questions are:

1) What guidelines do you use when determining how much clothes to pack? Do you re-wear certain clothes more than once? (I will not have washing machine access). However I am going from warm weather to warm weather, so no pants, sweaters, etc needed.

2) How do tho most efficiently pack everything in your bag? I've heard rolling clothes works well? Does anyone do this? Anyone have any pictures? (crazy I know! LOL)

3) Any other tips to help me? This is our first flight and Im super anxious about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Carnival Victory - October 2008, Enchantment of the Seas - April 2011, Explorer of the Seas - November 2012, Explorer of the Seas, last cruise out of NJ - October 2014

Old May 30th, 2014, 06:15 AM
5,000+ Club

For the past few years, we have packed our shirts/tops in two or three clear, sealable vacuum bags.

I lay a number of tops, on hangers, on top of each other on our kitchen island counter. I'm very careful to soothe out wrinkles. When I have about 12 garments in a stack, I fold in the arms and then fold it in thirds horizontally. I then slide the garments into the vacuum bag, remove as much air as possible, then seal using the built-in zipper. I don't extract any more air after this. Onboard, I open the bag, unfold and hang. Have always had very few wrinkles.

It's a quick and easy way to pack. We've done the folding, rolling, packing cubes...the vacuum bag is quicker, easier and we end up with fewer wrinkles. The bags, by the way, are available at Walmart.

Lew

Old May 30th, 2014, 06:28 AM
20,000+ Club

For me it is letting the DW do it!

Old May 30th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm not sure it these are available in your area but we love them.

http://shop.heys.ca/products/jetpack...-packing-shelf

I hang them up at home to pack. Compress and put in the suitcase.
Take out once we hit the stateroom. Unpacking takes about 2 min.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most recent sailed...Disney Magic & Carnival Breeze

Old May 30th, 2014, 07:10 AM
10,000+ Club

Rolling is best. The issue with compression bags is that even though you squeeze out the air, your stuff still has weight so your bag may be too heavy.

Roll almost everything..make a couple layers...it works....I sell luggage for a living....

sent from my ellipsis..

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

Cape Liberty Area Hotel Photos

Click ship names below to go to albums!

My Cruise History:
Explorer of the Seas x12, Freedom x 1, Serenade x2, Summit x3, Jewel x1, Adventure, x1, Grandeur x2, Navigator x1, Enchantment, x4, CCL Pride x2, CCL Miracle x1
218 Total Nights At Sea!
illegitmi non carborundum kmt

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 30th, 2014, 07:20 AM
5,000+ Club

I pack all my hanging clothing on thin hangers. That makes unpacking easy. The hangers I use came with luggage I had many years ago.

Old May 30th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

My daughter has introduced me to bundle packing and I used it on my last cruise. It was amazing, used much less space and best of all it wasn't creased. I would definitely use it again.

She went on a week's holiday to the Caribbean last year with just a carry on case.

https://sites.google.com/site/indyta2014/

Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean - Nov 2015
Radiance of the Seas - Alaska - May 2015
Independence of the Seas - Transatlantic/Caribbean - November 2014
Independence of the Seas - Norway - May 2014
Independence of the Seas - Norway/Cork - June 2013
Allure of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - Nov 2012
Jewel of the Seas - Baltics - May 2011
Brilliance of the Seas - Med - Sept 2008

Old May 30th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Every year I visit my sister in Maine for Thanksgiving. I've been using a method I stumbled across in which they claim you can pack for 60 days in just a carryon. I thought "Yeah, sure..." But I tried it, and it works! I don't skimp on the clothes, either. I pack bulky sweaters, jeans, sweatshirts, etc. Here is the link to a video showing this method. It may be the "bundling" method referred to by Hairymelon.

http://www.packinglight.net/travel_info_depot.aspx

RCCL Song of America - Bermuda, 1996; RCCL Grandeur of the Seas - Eastern Carib., 1998; RCCL Empress of the Seas - Bermuda, 2001; RCCL Serenade of the Seas - Alaska Hubbard, 2004; RCCL Radiance of the Seas - Eastern Carib., 2005; RCCL Vision of the Seas - Mexican Riviera, 2007; RCCL Freedom of the Seas - Eastern Carib., 2008; RCCL Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal/Carib., 2009; RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda/Carib., 2010; RCCL Jewel of the Seas - Canada/New Eng., 2011; RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Hurricane Sandy cruise to Bermuda, 2012; RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Bahamas, 2013; RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda, 2013

Last edited by linkerbink; May 30th, 2014 at 07:40 AM.

Old May 30th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have watched quite a few videos on youtube on packing. Some good, and some not for me, but I would recommend you spend a while searching around.

I have been reading some of the threads on here about cruise wear and one had a link to Project 333. While I haven't got that efficient, I have done a lot of cleaning out the wardrobe, and it is my belief that if you try to live with less for a while at home you may feel more comfortable when on holiday that you have actually packed enough.

On a recent clean out I donated a skirt to charity, and realised it had been on 3 cruises with me. It was not comfortable and went with nothing else, so I had NEVER actually worn it!

Be strong, you can do it.

Next cruise.... Celebrity Solstice B2B - Oct 2014 South Pacific + Nov 2014 to NZ.
Rhapsody OTS - Feb 2015 - Sydney/Tasmania/Adelaide.
Voyager OTS - Nov 2015 - Sydney/South Pac/NZ
Explorer OTS - Feb 2016 - B2B? still deciding.

Have cruised on Rhapsody, Radiance, Voyager of the Seas.
Our blog about cruising on Royal Caribbean around Australia & NZ .. Click here to go to goodycruising.com

Old May 30th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

A couple of additional comments - assuming you will use one of the previously mentioned packing methods that you are comfortable with.

You can have laundry done on board - there is usually a laundry "bag" special. You can also handwash a few things if you have to and hang to dry.

Evening dinner clothes can be worn more than once, and I don't just mean "formal night" - I am thinking long pants/blouses/shirts, etc. During the day I find t-shirts etc.. get pretty sweaty. You may find you just wear swimsuites and coverups during the day - depends on your plans. Don't obsess about having shoes to match outfits, etc.

Try to cross pack so that if one suitcase is lost or delayed you don't lose all the clothes for one person.

Watch your weight on the cases - pack a few heavy things such as shoes in each case.

Remember the TSA rules regarding liquids ...... if you have the time plan to purchase your toiletries (especially for that number of people) on your way to the pier - cuts down on weight and possible spills.

Same thing if you plan on purchasing wine to take on board - has to be in your packed suitcase for flying - can be heavy. Either wrap well in plastic bag or purchase on the way to the pier.

Make sure you remove all tags from your luggage - just have the airline tags on - you should put your RC tags on after you claim your bags at the airport.

You can normally take a carry-on per person - check your airline rules and regulations regarding luggage restrictions. You might prefer to do this rather than just take one carry-on.

Old fashioned tip, but I do it anyway! I put a note on top of each suitcase with the name of the ship, dates, etc. just in case a bag gets lost. I figure that way the airline can forward the bag to me - not send it home!

Enjoy your cruise!

Last edited by PMcC1998; May 30th, 2014 at 08:42 AM.

Old May 30th, 2014, 08:49 AM
50,000+ Club

I rewear shorts...generally, I'll wear shorts to breakfast, then change into bathing suit....I've only had the shorts on for a bit...so they're fine to wear again! I try not to bring anything to "bulky"..just takes up too much space.

It's not my clothes that are the problem...it's hubby's! His are much larger than mine...along with his big, ole shoes!! I limit what shoes he can bring!

Old May 30th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Statistically speaking 20%- 25% of what is packed is actually never used or even needed. So make a list first and than eliminate 20%-25% of it.

FYI - I cruise only using an 18" carry-on and a small tote bag and even at that several items are never used. All clothing and accessories packed must be interchangable with 2 other items otherwise it does not get pack. Yes I wear items twice.

Old May 30th, 2014, 09:48 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by megr1125 View Post

The issue with compression bags is that even though you squeeze out the air, your stuff still has weight so your bag may be too heavy.
You're kidding...right?

Your stuff weighs the same whether you pack it in a vacuum bag, roll it, cube it...however you pack it. The bag itself weighs next to nothing.

Am I missing something?

Lew

Old May 30th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lew- View Post
You're kidding...right?

Your stuff weighs the same whether you pack it in a vacuum bag, roll it, cube it...however you pack it. The bag itself weighs next to nothing.

Am I missing something?

Lew
I think the point is, that when compressing you can fit even more into a bag, so weight sneaks up on you and it's easy to go over the weight limits.
Mariner of the Seas 01/2004 Eastern Caribbean, Radiance of the Seas 08/2007 Southbound Alaska, Splendour of the Seas 11/2008 Venice-Lisbon Reposition, Oasis of the Seas 05/2010 Eastern Caribbean, Allure of the Seas 05/2011 Western Caribbean, Serenade of the Seas 02/2012 Southern Caribbean, Jewel of the Seas 11/2012, Brilliance of the Seas 03/2013 Southern Caribbean, Radiance of the Seas 09/2013 RT Vancouver
Jewel of the Seas 11/2015

Old May 30th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmrothermel View Post
So, this may be a strange question.....

What do you find is the most efficient way to pack items in a suitcase? Typically, I just fold things into two piles, cram the smaller things where the gaps are, and voila! This also is when I leave locally and have (basically) no restriction on luggage. I take enough clothes for "what if" plus a daily change of clothes, some pants for crazy flaky weather, etc. I can admit I do overpack.

Now, my family and I will be flying for our upcoming vacation - and I am SUPER nervous about getting everything in the bags! We have 7 of us all together, me, hubby, and 5 kids. I am looking to take 4 bags of checked luggage and maybe 1 carry on if necessary?

So my questions are:

1) What guidelines do you use when determining how much clothes to pack? Do you re-wear certain clothes more than once? (I will not have washing machine access). However I am going from warm weather to warm weather, so no pants, sweaters, etc needed.

2) How do tho most efficiently pack everything in your bag? I've heard rolling clothes works well? Does anyone do this? Anyone have any pictures? (crazy I know! LOL)

3) Any other tips to help me? This is our first flight and Im super anxious about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
A great general rule for cruising that will help with the packing:

Take half as many clothes and twice as much cash.

Seriously, most people (including me) take way too much stuff with them on cruises. As for how to cram the maximum amount of stuff into a bag, rolling everything is the answer (learned that in the military).
Quote:
You're kidding...right?

Am I missing something?

Lew
Yes, you are. By rolling the clothes, you can fit more clothes into the same fixed space (the bag). 5 shirts weigh the same no matter what. But a bag with 5 shirts weighs much less than a bag with 10 rolled shirts in it.

Monarch of the Seas (06/1993), Vision of the Seas (04/2005), Vision of the Seas (04/2006), Vision of the Seas (03/2007), Vision of the Seas (03/2008), Mariner of the Seas (03/2009), Radiance of the Seas (04/2010), Oasis of the Seas (03/2011), Freedom of the Seas (04/2012), Freedom of the Seas (10/2012), Freedom of the Seas (B2B) (04/2013), Allure of the Seas (B2B) (05/2014)

My Allure B2B Trip Review (2014)
My Freedom B2B Trip Review (2013)

Old May 30th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairymelon View Post
My daughter has introduced me to bundle packing and I used it on my last cruise. It was amazing, used much less space and best of all it wasn't creased. I would definitely use it again.

She went on a week's holiday to the Caribbean last year with just a carry on case.
What is bundle packing please?

Old May 30th, 2014, 10:22 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
You're kidding...right?

Am I missing something?

Lew

Sorry, shouldn't post before coffee..

Let me clarify...if you save SPACE, you're likely to take MORE stuff, thus adding to the weight....

I have people all the time who buy space bags and then say WOW I had all this room, took more stuff and went over weight. Well...YEAH....of course....

Does that make sense?

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

My Cruise History:
Explorer of the Seas x12, Freedom x 1, Serenade x2, Summit x3, Jewel x1, Adventure, x1, Grandeur x2, Navigator x1, Enchantment, x4, CCL Pride x2, CCL Miracle x1
218 Total Nights At Sea!

Old May 30th, 2014, 10:23 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr4mjc View Post
I think the point is, that when compressing you can fit even more into a bag, so weight sneaks up on you and it's easy to go over the weight limits.
Thanks...obviously you're 1) a mind reader, and 2) more caffeinated that I was...

Cape Liberty Info blog
Meg's YouTube Videos

My Cruise History:
218 Total Nights At Sea!

Old May 30th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

If it fits in my carry-on it goes, if it doesn't it stays at home.

Old May 30th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

I learned a trick in the Air Force many years ago. When I packed my duffel bag I would fold items in third then roll them up. It's was amazing nothing wrinkled. I do that now when packing a suitcase. Seems to get more items in.

Bill
6 NCL
1 Princess 1 American Family Cruises
1 Disney