Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Australia & New Zealand Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 13th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Just off Voyager of the Seas

Hi all just off the Tassie sailing and just to let you all know Norovirus was alive and well they were serving with tongs for the last few days and doing a deep clean when we got back to sydney
Jacquie

Old February 13th, 2014, 06:57 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridan318 View Post
Hi all just off the Tassie sailing and just to let you all know Norovirus was alive and well they were serving with tongs for the last few days and doing a deep clean when we got back to sydney
Jacquie
Not good, one of my golfing mates from down here and his wife, left on VOS yesterday, they were going to take some anti virus medication, never heard of it.

PRINCESS ELITE CRUISER: 356 days
Also cruised with Celebrity, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries.
World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand and still going !

Last Cruise: Arcadia - 13 April 2014, Central Mediterranean, Southampton to Southampton - 18 days.

Future Cruises:
Aurora - 17 September 2015, Canada/New England, Southampton to Southampton - 25 days.
Oriana - 20 October 2015, Atlantic Islands, Southampton to Southampton - 15 days.

'Adventure before Dementia !!'

Old February 13th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridan318 View Post
Jacquie
Besides the norovirus Jacquie how was the cruise overall? Hope you still had a good time. I have read a little information that the normal alcohol based gels DO NOT kill norovirus?? I wonder if the ships crew know that those gels do not help the spread of the virus. I am ordering some offline which apparently kills norovirus will let you know if we came out unscathed on our trip in March:-)

Old February 14th, 2014, 05:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtaj View Post
Besides the norovirus Jacquie how was the cruise overall? Hope you still had a good time. I have read a little information that the normal alcohol based gels DO NOT kill norovirus?? I wonder if the ships crew know that those gels do not help the spread of the virus. I am ordering some offline which apparently kills norovirus will let you know if we came out unscathed on our trip in March:-)
Alcohol based gels? Are you talking about hand sanitiser?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old February 14th, 2014, 06:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliny View Post
Alcohol based gels? Are you talking about hand sanitiser?

Yes I should have been more specific ... Alcohol based hand sanitisers don't work against Norovirus. Alcohol rub sanitizers are not very effective against Norovirus (winter vomiting virus) unless they are combined with benzalkonium chloride in a hand sanitizer.

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Yes I should have been more specific ... Alcohol based hand sanitisers don't work against Norovirus. Alcohol rub sanitizers are not very effective against Norovirus (winter vomiting virus) unless they are combined with benzalkonium chloride in a hand sanitizer.
Aah thanks Madtaj, much appreciated ;D. Will call into the chemist and see they can help me with the ingreds you speak of ;D

Old February 14th, 2014, 07:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

As far as I could see only a minority of the passengers were affected as there was a quick and good response to the first reports of Norovirus. Extra crew were rostered onto duty in the Windjammer and also in the Carmen at breakfast to serve all passengers. This took a little longer to get food, but it stopped instances of some passengers picking up food by hand rather than using tongs (and seen putting it back on the self-help trays again!!).
Crew serving in the Windjammer also seemed to reduce the size of servings that many had on their plates previously!

Past Cruises
Spirit of Aloha - Hawaii April 2008
Dawn Princess - South Pacific to Hawaii April 2009
Sun Princess - Asia May 2010
Pacific Jewel - Pacific Islands May 2011
Radiance of the Seas - Sydney to Perth October 2011
Pride of America - Hawaii May 2012
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska May 2012
Sea Princess - New Zealand December 2012
Pacific Jewel - Pacific Islands May 2013
Voyager of the Seas - Tasmania February 2014

Old February 14th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
We're just off this cruise too.
Overall it was an enjoyable holiday and unless you actually fell I'll, the norovirus issue would not have affected you. I prefer the servers in Windjamer than the messy free for all without them.
CRUISED - Carnival Spirit November 2012
CRUISED - Voyager of the Seas February 2014
CRUISING - Celebrity Solstice November 2014

Old February 15th, 2014, 01:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

it was well handled by the crew, yes there was a SMALL outbreak, again not RCI fault but a HUMANS fault

stevo
RCI Mariner of the Seas Oct 2011
Dawn Princess Sydney/Melbourne Dec 2011
Dawn Princess Sydney/Melbourne 2012
RCI Radiance of the Seas Feb 2013
Celebrity Solstice October 2013
RCI Voyager of the Seas Feb 2014
Diamond Princess December 14 2014
Anthem of the Seas June 20 2015

Old February 15th, 2014, 03:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Voyger Sydney-Tas and back Feb 4 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSWP View Post
Not good, one of my golfing mates from down here and his wife, left on VOS yesterday, they were going to take some anti virus medication, never heard of it.
Have you ever been shopping and not allowed to touch things. Try buying a watch and you have to point and then the sales person picks it up and holds it just out of site so you don't breath or touch it. Voyger is one big virus floating on the water. Most people we spoke to had some sort of digestive problems, us included. Our cabin constantly smelt like a sewer, it was coming from the drains in the bathroom.

Don't try and get a drink on deck 11 by the pool it could take anything up to 45min to arrive and guess what, they were out of what was ordered so they took it upon themselves to bring an alternative. Funny thing is exactly what you ordered, and what they were out of, just walked past on another waiters tray. Harry the bar waiter what a joke, he should have been working on the welcoming committee because all he wanted to do was talk to all, bugger about your order. It took three days for the scotch to be delivered from down stairs - only god knows where down stairs is because it must have been a long way, then hey presto day 4 the scotch arrived, but I wanted a scotch on day one, in the mean time I took a shine to beer, guess what "were out of VB so I bought you a XXXX gold' were is the VB I ask ÏTS DOWN STAIRS". Were is the cherry in the cocktail, non of them they too are down stairs. Someone down stairs is having a good party because all the grog is down stairs.

Old February 15th, 2014, 03:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

I read here on these boards that someone recorded inner health plus to ward off noro virus.

Old February 15th, 2014, 04:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamenNSW View Post
Don't try and get a drink on deck 11 by the pool it could take anything up to 45min to arrive and guess what, they were out of what was ordered so they took it upon themselves to bring an alternative.
So, can you tell us if this happens if you have a bartender get your drinks, or does this happen at the actual bar? I would just like to know so I might be able to prepare for what I might likely expect.

Voyager of the Seas - Fremantle - Singapore, March 2014
Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific, November 2013
Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific, April 2013
Rhapsody of the Seas - South Pacific, February 2013
Sun Princess - Fiji, March 2012

Old February 15th, 2014, 04:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by keagle View Post
So, can you tell us if this happens if you have a bartender get your drinks, or does this happen at the actual bar? I would just like to know so I might be able to prepare for what I might likely expect.
I never had a problem getting drinks on deck 11. You can either go to the bar yourself (a bit quicker I guess) or the waiter will come and take drink orders. They have an AMAZING memory and would take orders from a lot of people at once then go get the drinks then bring them all to the tables. At peak times it would take a bit longer but I never waited more than 5-10mins and always got what I asked for.
CRUISED - Carnival Spirit November 2012
CRUISED - Voyager of the Seas February 2014
CRUISING - Celebrity Solstice November 2014

Old February 15th, 2014, 04:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by keagle View Post
Drinks are a big problem on the ship, we were told that the cruise previous had a lot of trouble with drunks so I got the impression that they were on a go slow. It wasn't just one bar that we had a problem with it was all bars and each bar was out of different spirits, beer, mixers. By the way don't buy the package, we did and had nothing but trouble with it, but that is another story. The drink service was extremely bad. Hope you have better luck getting your order than our gang. By the way we are all in our 50-60s and don't wont you to get the wrong impression that we were a bunch young piss pots complaining about not getting wasted, that's not the case but I do like a drink or two.

Sorry to answer your question, if you go to the bar yourself you will get served fast, but all the bar waiters are shockers some worse than others.

Last edited by CamenNSW; February 15th, 2014 at 04:26 AM.

Old February 15th, 2014, 04:24 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamenNSW View Post
Have you ever been shopping and not allowed to touch things. Try buying a watch and you have to point and then the sales person picks it up and holds it just out of site so you don't breath or touch it. Voyger is one big virus floating on the water. Most people we spoke to had some sort of digestive problems, us included. Our cabin constantly smelt like a sewer, it was coming from the drains in the bathroom.

Don't try and get a drink on deck 11 by the pool it could take anything up to 45min to arrive and guess what, they were out of what was ordered so they took it upon themselves to bring an alternative. Funny thing is exactly what you ordered, and what they were out of, just walked past on another waiters tray. Harry the bar waiter what a joke, he should have been working on the welcoming committee because all he wanted to do was talk to all, bugger about your order. It took three days for the scotch to be delivered from down stairs - only god knows where down stairs is because it must have been a long way, then hey presto day 4 the scotch arrived, but I wanted a scotch on day one, in the mean time I took a shine to beer, guess what "were out of VB so I bought you a XXXX gold' were is the VB I ask ÏTS DOWN STAIRS". Were is the cherry in the cocktail, non of them they too are down stairs. Someone down stairs is having a good party because all the grog is down stairs.
I had the same experience last march! You ask for a drink and they just give you an alternative.

Everything you want is in another bar! they just cant seem to get the stocking possess right. Plenty of Ales at the pool bar and only draught larger in the pub lol.

But you must remember the ship is not stocked in australia, everything comes in in containers from O/S, so if one or more doesnt arrive on time they leave without it,that is why so many items are always missing.

Old February 15th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just did back to back Voyager cruises to the South Pacific and New Zealand. Wanted to also do the Australian itinerary but couldn't make it happen. (But sounds like I got lucky and missed the norovirus!)

I, too, experienced frustration with the drinks situation. For me, it was the fact that many of the wines on their dining room wine list were out of stock. I figured after the first cruise they would restock in Sydney but on the second cruise, all the same wines were out of stock.

Also, on the first cruise, they ran out of Corona so one would think they'd properly stock up on it for the next cruise but on the 2nd cruise they also ran out of Corona.

But don't want to seem like a complainer. I had a great time and I'm a devoted RCI cruiser.

p.s. Does anyone know of a brand of sanitizer that does kill norovirus? I was relying on the ship's hand sanitizers and surprised to hear they aren't effective for norovirus.

Explorer of the Seas - Feb 2003 (Western Caribbean)
Radiance of the Seas - Feb 2005 (Eastern Caribbean)
Brilliance of the Seas - May 2006 (Mediterranean)
Oasis of the Seas - April 2013 (Western Caribbean)
Voyager of the Seas - Jan 2014 (South Pacific)
Voyager of the Seas - Jan 2014 (New Zealand)
Allure of the Seas - March 2014 (Eastern Caribbean)

Old February 15th, 2014, 03:39 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
I use a sanitizer with benzalkonium chloride and is a foam not a gel and I take it everywhere we go. It's available in Australia and is excellent. Have been using it for about 3 years now.

Jill

http://jillnroyscruises.blogspot.com.au/

Been there, done that, got the Tee Shirt:

Estonia 1966
P & O Oronsay 1967
Shaw Savill Ocean Monarch 1972
P & O Pacific Sky 2003
Celebrity Constellation 2003
Pacific Princess 2004
Pacific Sky x 3 2004
Pacific Princess 2005
Celebrity Mercury 2005
Celebrity Mercury 2007 x 3 x B2B - 42 wonderful days
Rhapsody of the Seas x 2 xB2B 2008
Celebrity Millenium 2008
Rhapsody of the Seas 2009
Pacific Dawn 2010
Rhapsody of the Seas 27 Oct. 2010
Sun Princess April 2011
Celebrity Century 30 November 2011
Voyager of the Seas - 14 April 2012 42 nights New Orleans to Singapore
Queen Elizabeth Auckland to Los Angeles 20 February 2013 - 21 nights
Sea Princess October 2013 11 nights
Queen Mary 2 February 21 2014 13 nights Brisbane to Fremantle

Waiting to enjoy:
Still researching...hope it doesn't take long.

TO CONTACT ME: grandprincess13@gmail.com

Last edited by Gold Coast Cruisers; February 15th, 2014 at 03:40 PM.

Old February 15th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrraoulz View Post
p.s. Does anyone know of a brand of sanitizer that does kill norovirus? I was relying on the ship's hand sanitizers and surprised to hear they aren't effective for norovirus.
Here in OZ, the hand wipes "Wet Ones" have benzalkonium chloride in their ingredients. Don't know if you can get them in USA.

Old February 15th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Also just off the Voyager and believe me.....the norovirus really was alive and well. Lots of passengers suffered. Thank goodness we didn't - but we really were extra careful.

I am a Royal Caribbean fan and it is usually my choice of cruise line if possible. However, I will never sail on Voyager again. We were in an inside cabin on Deck 7 aft and our hallway smelt heavily like a sewer from Day 1 until Day 9 when we disembarked. We, and many others also on our deck, complained and the only response we got from Customer Service was "we're working on it". We never saw any evidence anywhere of "them" working on it.

Generally we just go with the flow and don't complain about things - but by Day 4 when talking to others on our deck who had put in complaints about the smell, we decided that we would add our complaint to theirs. Funny thing....Guest Services told us that there had been no other complaints. Hmmmm. Strange. And not true!

Many times you could smell the sewer smell in the Library and sometimes in our cabin. Not pleasant. But in the hallway it was just horrible and I felt for Patrick our cabin steward who worked in that environment ALL day.

Now my questions are ..... Was that sewer smell on the cruise before us? And will the cruise after us suffer the same awful smell? Could this smell and its source be a contributing factor to the norovirus?

We are receiving a 10% refund on our cruise price paid because of the inconvenience.....
NCL Jade 10/2009 Athens to Istanbul
River Countess 10/2010 Black Sea to Basel, Switzerland
Pacific Jewel 8/2011 Sydney to Fiji
NCL Pride of America 11/2011 Hawaiian Islands
Pacific Pearl 3/2012 NZ

Rhapsody of the Seas 12/2012 Sydney to Cairns
Rhapsody of the Seas 3/2013 South Pacific
Pacific Jewel 6/2013 Sydney to Melanesia
Celebrity Solstice 10/2013 Honolulu to Sydney via Tahiti
Voyager of the Seas 2/2014 Sydney to Tasmania
NCL Sun 05/2014 LA to Vancouver
Celebrity Millennium 05/2014 B2B Vancouver to Anchorage
Celebrity Century 09/2014 San Francisco to Sydney

Old February 15th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn_couple View Post
We're just off this cruise too.
Overall it was an enjoyable holiday and unless you actually fell I'll, the norovirus issue would not have affected you. I prefer the servers in Windjamer than the messy free for all without them.
agree there should be people serving all the time, I seen some disgusting displays of food handling.