Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Crystal Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Crystal Cruises
Read Crystal Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Crystal Cruise Deals.

Register for a Cruise Critic/Crystal Cruises Meet & Mingle

Need to make a change or addition to your Meet & Mingle registration? Update Your Meet & Mingle Registration

GO TO: Crystal ROLL CALL Forums

Old August 13th, 2013, 02:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Holy land cruise 2015

I have been waiting for Crystal to revisit Israel and was pleased to see that in 2015 there is one cruise covering this area, but unfortunately it is over the Yom Kippur (Day of Atonement) period. Surely the schedulers should have realised this as it makes this period a no go time for many people. I have emailed Crystal advising of this but have, so far, not received a reply. Wonder if they will reschedule this cruise.

We are off on Monday (19th) on the Round Britain cruise (Dover/Dover) fingers crossed that the weather will stay fine.

Happy cruising.

David

Old August 13th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

That's unfortunate, as few who would be fasting for a day would want to do so on board a Crystal ship. The day in Rhodes would also be missed by the observant.

But while those who are most strictly observant might have a challenge, I suspect Crystal might have something suitable for many.

19 and counting...

Old August 13th, 2013, 01:45 PM
50,000+ Club

David, I am not sure whether or not Yom Kippur was factored into the itinerary but I don't believe they can move the cruise. I do realize there will be some who will choose not to sail during that time frame preferring to worship at home at their local synagogue and possibly with their families. This is true of many Holidays. I also realize Yom Kippur is one if not the most holiest of the Jewish Holidays as it is the day of atonement.

At the same time, we have sailed with Crystal on Yom Kippur (I am Jewish and my wife is Catholic) and on other Jewish Holidays such as Rosh Hashanah, Passover, Purim, Chanukah along with a few others. There were many members of the Jewish faith on board the ship on each of these voyages along with a Rabbi too. Actually for many including myself it was nice to share the holidays with our Crystal Family. Crystal will do a very nice job with Yom Kippur as they do with all of the other holidays.

For me there is something spiritual about being in Rhodes on Yom Kippur and that relates to the remembrance of so many people who perished or had to leave that area during WWII.

Keith

Old August 13th, 2013, 09:55 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1010 View Post
For me there is something spiritual about being in Rhodes on Yom Kippur and that relates to the remembrance of so many people who perished or had to leave that area during WWII.

Keith
Please forgive a slight off-topic question. Keith, did Rhodes have a large Jewish population before the war? We were there a few years back with friends and found the one (and only apparently?) synagogue, which was, unfortunately, closed that day.

Old August 13th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Not Keith but

Yes Rhoades did have a large Jewish population before the war. I used to know an older Jewish woman who grew up there. She said it was a good sized Jewish community.

That being said on our trip there 8 years ago we experience some anti-semitism by a group of locals. When we asked directions to the synagogue we were cursed and run out of the man's store.

Not much of that left in Europe thank goodness.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijkh View Post
Yes Rhoades did have a large Jewish population before the war. I used to know an older Jewish woman who grew up there. She said it was a good sized Jewish community.

That being said on our trip there 8 years ago we experience some anti-semitism by a group of locals. When we asked directions to the synagogue we were cursed and run out of the man's store.

Not much of that left in Europe thank goodness.
Interesting. I learned something new today. Thanks.

We were travelling with our closest friends, who are Jewish. Fortunately when we asked for directions the proprietor of the restaurant we were at was most gracious in providing them.

Old August 14th, 2013, 02:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Holy Land 2015

Hi Keith and All too soon,

Thanks for your replies which I appreciate. I suppose it is too much to expect Crystal to reschedule but thought they would have avoided the high holy days for a cruise visiting Israel. I suppose I will just have to look at an alternative line. I am not that orthodox but would feel a bit uncomfortable holidaying over that period.

On another note, our forthcoming cruise on Serenity will be our first as 'all inclusive'. It will be interesting to see if it has affected any of the service on board. For us Crystal has always been the best and long may it stay that way.

i have mentioned this before but I wish that they would have a round trip UK cruise.which goes south over 12 to 14 days rather than only going around Britain.

Keith I always enjoy reading your advice to other posters. It would be nice to meet up with you one day on a future cruise maybe.

Best wishes and good yomtov.

David

Old August 14th, 2013, 02:19 AM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland4 View Post
Please forgive a slight off-topic question. Keith, did Rhodes have a large Jewish population before the war? We were there a few years back with friends and found the one (and only apparently?) synagogue, which was, unfortunately, closed that day.
Larry, just to expand on Ilene's comments.

Before WWII, Rhodes had Four Synagogues. Essentially, as was the case in many towns throughout major parts of Europe the entire Jewish Population was removed and the vast majority of the Jews perished either while being transported to another area of Greece (I believe Athens) or in concentration camps.

At the time of our visit, the Jewish population totaled around 40 people. We were fortunate to be able to get a tour of the one Synagogue that you mentioned. It was not easy to find and the first few locals we asked had no idea where it was located. Thankfully we found it. At that time they were actually renovating it and it was beautiful and the person in charge of the renovation gave Anne Marie and myself a tour. On our walk around Rhodes we ran into the ships Rabbi and we gave him and his wife and another couple who was with them directions to the Synagogue.

Larry, I am reminded that there are maps in many Holocaust Museums and one of them which I believe in London shows the Jewish population in each European Country before the start of WWII, at the end of WWII and I believe its current population at the time the map was made. While I was taught at a very young age about the horrors of the war including how many people died that map really hit home. Then visiting the Rhodes Synagogue only a few weeks after visiting the Children's Holocaust Museum in Jerusalem and realizing that Rhodes was one of so many towns where the Jewish population was vibrant one day only to no longer exist another day really hit home. I actually think of that day in Rhodes from time to time, including on Yom Kippur.

Keith

Old August 14th, 2013, 03:37 AM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoveto View Post
Hi Keith and All too soon,

Thanks for your replies which I appreciate. I suppose it is too much to expect Crystal to reschedule but thought they would have avoided the high holy days for a cruise visiting Israel. I suppose I will just have to look at an alternative line. I am not that orthodox but would feel a bit uncomfortable holidaying over that period.

On another note, our forthcoming cruise on Serenity will be our first as 'all inclusive'. It will be interesting to see if it has affected any of the service on board. For us Crystal has always been the best and long may it stay that way.

i have mentioned this before but I wish that they would have a round trip UK cruise.which goes south over 12 to 14 days rather than only going around Britain.

Keith I always enjoy reading your advice to other posters. It would be nice to meet up with you one day on a future cruise maybe.

Best wishes and good yomtov.

David
David, I too hope we get to meet up with you on a cruise.

We found the service earlier this year to be as good if not better than before all-inclusive rolled out. I hope that you will be equally pleased.

Best to you.

Keith

Old August 14th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoveto View Post
I suppose it is too much to expect Crystal to reschedule but thought they would have avoided the high holy days for a cruise visiting Israel. I suppose I will just have to look at an alternative line. I am not that orthodox but would feel a bit uncomfortable holidaying over that period.
I remain a little surprised that the one cruise to the holy land occurred on such a holy day. Either Crystal faced scheduling constraints (as they always do), or assumes their demographic is not strictly observant, or simply didn't think to check. I have found enough minor scheduling glitches over the years to infer that the scheduling department doesn't look at holidays much (except for those they can sell). But other examples include hitting ports on days when everything is closed due to holidays, etc. It would be interesting to ask the boss how they do the scheduling (I'll bet even the Cruise Director might have some insight).

19 and counting...

Old August 14th, 2013, 11:35 AM
5,000+ Club

Smile

My husband and I are not Orthodox Jews but do observe Yom Kippur as many Jews do. We will not cruise during Yom Kippur as we both fast and would find that quite difficult on Crystal. Additionally, we do spend most of the day at our Synagogue. However, we have been on the Symphony a couple of times during Rosh Hashana and Rabbi Hershmann leads a wonderful service and appreciate all the special things that Crystal provides on that holiday.

I'm sure Crystal has a scheduling constraint in regards to the 2015 cruise.

nancy

Old August 14th, 2013, 12:25 PM
50,000+ Club

ATS, yes, many of the Cruise Directors should would be a good source to ask. This would be a good one to ask about to see if the timing of Yom Kippur was or was not considered.

Another excellent source should be the Captains who are consulted for their input and if you sail with Captain Birger Vorland he would be an excellent source to ask because he was instrumental in planning the schedules for Crystal's fleet prior to his current assignment as Master of the Crystal Serenity.

As to the scheduling, it is a very iterative and complex process, which includes input from a variety of sources and there is a lot to factor in. It is highly complex and must take into account many items. I've asked about this before.

-Voyages that support the marketing and essentially voyages which will sell.

-Voyages with start and end point that are optimal for getting provisions to the ship and that are places that one can fly in and out of.

-Voyages that when pieced together will get each ship to their desired seasonal sailing locations.

-The availability of the actual ports. Israel is unique its own way as it has far more restrictions than most because of security reasons.

-Extensive research on any first time ports included on the itinerary from their ability to meet Crystal's security requirements to their ability to support shore excursions.

-Time of year and time of day for arrivals and departures including Tide Levels.

-Sufficient time at sea to make water for the ship.

- And a slew of other factors.

Some voyages do highlight being at places at the ideal times such as say the Harmony being in Sydney for its Olympics, the Serenity being in Rio for Carnaval, the Symphony being in Sydney and Hong Kong for New Years Eve. And there are times that the ships might not always be somewhere at the optimal time such as on a Holiday or say in a French port on a Sunday.

While some people might not sail on Yom Kippur you will find others of the Jewish Faith who would like to visit Israel around the High Holy Days even if it means being on the ship for Yom Kippur. I suspect that this will be a popular voyage. Again, I've sailed with Crystal over Yom Kippur and the ship was very full and I know there was a rather large number of people on board of the Jewish Faith as both the Yom Kippur and Friday night services were very full.

Anyway, like everything else each person who considers this sailing will factor in their own preferences.

Keith

Last edited by Keith1010; August 14th, 2013 at 12:25 PM.

Old August 14th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1010 View Post
ATS, yes, many of the Cruise Directors should would be a good source to ask. This would be a good one to ask about to see if the timing of Yom Kippur was or was not considered.

Another excellent source should be the Captains who are consulted for their input and if you sail with Captain Birger Vorland he would be an excellent source to ask because he was instrumental in planning the schedules for Crystal's fleet prior to his current assignment as Master of the Crystal Serenity.

As to the scheduling, it is a very iterative and complex process, which includes input from a variety of sources and there is a lot to factor in. It is highly complex and must take into account many items. I've asked about this before.

-Voyages that support the marketing and essentially voyages which will sell.

-Voyages with start and end point that are optimal for getting provisions to the ship and that are places that one can fly in and out of.

-Voyages that when pieced together will get each ship to their desired seasonal sailing locations.

-The availability of the actual ports. Israel is unique its own way as it has far more restrictions than most because of security reasons.

-Extensive research on any first time ports included on the itinerary from their ability to meet Crystal's security requirements to their ability to support shore excursions.

-Time of year and time of day for arrivals and departures including Tide Levels.

-Sufficient time at sea to make water for the ship.

- And a slew of other factors.

Some voyages do highlight being at places at the ideal times such as say the Harmony being in Sydney for its Olympics, the Serenity being in Rio for Carnaval, the Symphony being in Sydney and Hong Kong for New Years Eve. And there are times that the ships might not always be somewhere at the optimal time such as on a Holiday or say in a French port on a Sunday.

While some people might not sail on Yom Kippur you will find others of the Jewish Faith who would like to visit Israel around the High Holy Days even if it means being on the ship for Yom Kippur. I suspect that this will be a popular voyage. Again, I've sailed with Crystal over Yom Kippur and the ship was very full and I know there was a rather large number of people on board of the Jewish Faith as both the Yom Kippur and Friday night services were very full.

Anyway, like everything else each person who considers this sailing will factor in their own preferences.

Keith
If you recall, Keith, the 2010 WC visited Israel on the first day of Passover, which also coincided with Christian Holy Thursday. We did the full day Jerusalem tour and that is one day, with a lot of good memories, that we will never forget! It is high on our list of places to visit again one day.

Old August 15th, 2013, 03:48 AM
50,000+ Club

Larry, you are right about the holidays and how special the visit was. I remember a few places were closed (didn't impact the tour) and some places a little more crowded, but it didn't make a difference. In 2007 we were also there on the Serenity. I believe it was the night we left Egypt for Israel that Passover began and there was an irony to be leaving Egypt at the start of Passover. Like you, we made memories that we will carry with us for the rest of our lives.

Keith