Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Alaska
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 27th, 2013, 06:54 PM
summercruising summercruising is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 142
Default Help - compare temperatures

I'm sailing on the Pearl next Sunday. I've been watching the temperatures in our ports in Alaska...now a question.

Juneau 50 degrees feels like ___ in Atlanta Georgia

Just wondering...
__________________
~Leslie~


Norwegian Pearl -06/02/13
Carnival Elation - 04-30-2012
Norwegian Star - 10-16-2011
Carnival Inspiration - 09-11-2010
Carnival Celebration - 09-18-2006

Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old May 27th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Chenega's Avatar
Chenega Chenega is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 2,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by summercruising View Post
I'm sailing on the Pearl next Sunday. I've been watching the temperatures in our ports in Alaska...now a question.

Juneau 50 degrees feels like ___ in Atlanta Georgia

Just wondering...
50 degrees. Temperatures are pretty absolute although us Alaskans can think 50 degrees is a heat wave at time. FYI - it is 70 in Anchorage today.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old May 27th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Kimf's Avatar
Kimf Kimf is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oakdale, MN
Posts: 119
Default

We leave on our cruise on June 29th... I am looking forward to it, but really nervous about the weather. I live in MN and we have had a horribly cold spring. Temps this past weekend were only in the 50-55 degree range most of the time. Today MAY have made it into the low 60s. I was freezing all weekend and had to turn our fireplace on! I guess I had better plan on bringing lots of jeans and fleece jackets with me on the trip. While not looking forward to the weather.... I am looking forward to seeing Alaska!
__________________
Kim F.
NCL Getaway to the Caribbean, March 2014
NCL Jewel to Alaska, June 2013
Disney Magic to Bahamas, March 2007
Carnival to Caribbean February 1995
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old May 27th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Ontario cruise duo Ontario cruise duo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southernmost Ontario
Posts: 762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenega View Post
50 degrees. Temperatures are pretty absolute although us Alaskans can think 50 degrees is a heat wave at time. FYI - it is 70 in Anchorage today.
Wholly cow, it was warmer in Alaska today than in Southernmost Ontario!! Would 70 be swimsuit weather?
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old May 27th, 2013, 11:26 PM
sherryf's Avatar
sherryf sherryf is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 2,950
Default

It was low 60s and drizzly today in the Seattle area. I wore shorts, a short-sleeved top, and flip flops to the mall. If I'd needed to be outside for any length of time, I'd have added a jacket, but a light one. My sister lives in Arkansas, I know if she'd been here today, she'd have been in jeans and a sweatshirt.

Back to the original question... I don't think it's so much what 50 feels like in Alaska vs Atlanta, but how 50 FEELS to someone from Alaska vs Atlanta. People in Alaska are probably breaking out their shorts now, but someone in Atlanta probably would still want a coat. It's not so much that 50 feels warmer in Alaska as that it might feel warmer to an Alaskan than to an Atlantan.
__________________
Sherry
Carnival Spirit - Alaska - July 11, 2001
Star Princess - Alaska - July 26, 2009 - Honeymoon!!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 14, 2010 - 1st Anniversary!
Golden Princess - Alaska - August 6, 2011 - With the family this time!
Golden Princess - Alaska - July 21, 2012 - 3rd Anniversary!
Star Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2013 - With Mom and Aunt!
Grand Princess - Alaska - July 20, 2014 - With 4 teens/young adults!
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:58 AM
bonvoyagie's Avatar
bonvoyagie bonvoyagie is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 1,910
Default

Having cruised with people from Texas, Las Vegas, and Florida they all had problems dealing with the 50 - 60 degree temps of AK. They wanted winter parkas while I was fine in a windbreaker. It all depends on what you are used to.

Also we should not forget that in places like Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay you are around glaciers and the temps are even colder.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old May 28th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Northern Aurora Northern Aurora is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 2,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenega View Post
50 degrees. Temperatures are pretty absolute although us Alaskans can think 50 degrees is a heat wave at time. FYI - it is 70 in Anchorage today.
FYI - as I type this at 9:05 PM, Fairbanks hit a high of 82F today. And no -- for those who are wondering -- that is not a record high for this date. The fact that Fairbanks is so warm in the summer is often surprising for visitors.

The NOAA forecast calls for warmer temps the next two days. We're love'in it! Can't beat a Fairbanks summer!
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old May 28th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Keith1010 Keith1010 is online now
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 62,969
Default

Remember 50 degrees can vary. It's a big difference if is it sunny vs. cloudy vs. cloudy and windy.

To you it might feel cool.

Keith
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old May 28th, 2013, 06:33 AM
summercruising summercruising is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryf View Post
It was low 60s and drizzly today in the Seattle area. I wore shorts, a short-sleeved top, and flip flops to the mall. If I'd needed to be outside for any length of time, I'd have added a jacket, but a light one. My sister lives in Arkansas, I know if she'd been here today, she'd have been in jeans and a sweatshirt.

Back to the original question... I don't think it's so much what 50 feels like in Alaska vs Atlanta, but how 50 FEELS to someone from Alaska vs Atlanta. People in Alaska are probably breaking out their shorts now, but someone in Atlanta probably would still want a coat. It's not so much that 50 feels warmer in Alaska as that it might feel warmer to an Alaskan than to an Atlantan.
Thank you...that is just what I was trying to ask!
__________________
~Leslie~


Norwegian Pearl -06/02/13
Carnival Elation - 04-30-2012
Norwegian Star - 10-16-2011
Carnival Inspiration - 09-11-2010
Carnival Celebration - 09-18-2006

Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old May 28th, 2013, 07:48 AM
CountryBoots CountryBoots is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 45
Default

It was 39F on way to work this morning and I was in short sleeves ... it felt nice to me Everyone's going to have a different approach on how warm or cold it is.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old May 29th, 2013, 11:42 AM
crusinpsychRN's Avatar
crusinpsychRN crusinpsychRN is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tampa area
Posts: 11,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimf View Post
We leave on our cruise on June 29th... I am looking forward to it, but really nervous about the weather. I live in MN and we have had a horribly cold spring. Temps this past weekend were only in the 50-55 degree range most of the time. Today MAY have made it into the low 60s. I was freezing all weekend and had to turn our fireplace on! I guess I had better plan on bringing lots of jeans and fleece jackets with me on the trip. While not looking forward to the weather.... I am looking forward to seeing Alaska!
Move to Florida. 90 here yesterday!
__________________
1964 Queen Elizabeth
1966 SS Florida
1980 Tropical
1982 Mardi Gras
1985 Jubilee
1998 Holiday
2002 Pride
2003 Grand Princess
2004 Mariner of the Seas
2006 Miracle Aug. 20
2008 Inspiration
Dec. '08 Glory
Aug. 2009 Inspiration
Feb. '10 Inspiration
2010 Legend
Sept. '10 Inspiration
2010 Inspiration
Sept. '11 Legend
November '11 Inspiration
Sept. '12 Legend
November '12 Legend
March '13 Legend
June '13 Miracle Alaska!
October '13 Legend Halloween Cruise
January '14 Paradise
April '14 Legend

UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL DR RUTH FOR WHALE TAIL and UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL GUARANTEED PRICE DROPS DROPPER


Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:04 PM
LMZinSC's Avatar
LMZinSC LMZinSC is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Lowcountry
Posts: 2,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1010 View Post
Remember 50 degrees can vary. It's a big difference if is it sunny vs. cloudy vs. cloudy and windy.

To you it might feel cool.

Keith
This is so true. We were there last week and the wind was biting and cold at the beginning of the week. Later in the week when the sun came out, on the other hand, it felt much warmer than I expected. Temps were about the same every day, but they didn't feel like it at all.
__________________

plus
Lynn (& Jim)

Coming up: Solstice 9/14(A),Solstice 4/15(H) Sailed: Summit 4/14(B),Carnival Dream 1/14(W),Freedom 11/13(W),Fascination 8/13(B),Radiance 5/13(A),Oasis 2/13(W),Oasis 10/12(W),Radiance 05/12(A),Jewel 02/12(W),Monarch 12/11(B),Allure 10/11(E),Infinity 05/11(A),Navigator 02/11(W),Radiance 10/10(W),Serenade 04/10(S),Navigator B2B 02/10(W),Freedom 09/09(W),Enchantment 09/09(W),Monarch 07/09(B),Radiance 05/09(A),Navigator 02/09 (W),Mariner 09/08(E),Mariner 03/08(E),Mariner 12/07(E),Spirit 04/07(H),Miracle 10/06(W),Radiance 03/06(W),Caribbean Princess 09/05(E),Mariner 02/05(W),Constellation 03/04(E),Spirit 04/03(H),Spirit 02/02 (S),Explorer 10/01(E),Victory 01/01(W),Rhapsody 04/00(H)(wedding & honeymoon),Enchantment 05/99(W),Vision 12/98(PC),Legend 05/98(H),Fascination 01/98(S),Imagination 01/96(W),Sensation 01/94(W)42/246(28)/304(3)
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:44 PM
canuck13 canuck13 is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Windsor ON
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMZinSC View Post
This is so true. We were there last week and the wind was biting and cold at the beginning of the week. Later in the week when the sun came out, on the other hand, it felt much warmer than I expected. Temps were about the same every day, but they didn't feel like it at all.
That's why the advice for Alaska is always the same - layer, layer, layer.

When we were in port or inland, a t-shirt and windbreaker was usually fine. When cruising Glacier Bay, it was 4 layers plus hat & gloves. I was prepared to go to 5 layers but didn't need to.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.
Cookie ConsentCookie Policy