Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old April 11th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Divorced parent bring the kids

So my sister has called Royal and I have too. My sister is devorced with a 14 and 16 year olds. They both share custody. Does my sister need a notarized letter to bring her kids on a cruise from Port Canaveral. Royal said to me she really doesn't have to because she is one of the parents. Anyone know first hand if she does need a letter or not. People on the phone and people at the port see things differently sometimes. She knows her ex will not sign any letter just because. Any help is appreciated.

https://vimeo.com/63215996
: Monarch of the Seas April 1,2013

Old April 11th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkySailing View Post
So my sister has called Royal and I have too. My sister is devorced with a 14 and 16 year olds. They both share custody. Does my sister need a notarized letter to bring her kids on a cruise from Port Canaveral. Royal said to me she really doesn't have to because she is one of the parents. Anyone know first hand if she does need a letter or not. People on the phone and people at the port see things differently sometimes. She knows her ex will not sign any letter just because. Any help is appreciated.
The only time a divorced parent does NOT need the notarized letter from the other parent is when she/he has sole custody; in that case, the divorce decree showing the custody order must be presented. (In Mexico, even the decree will not suffice-- they demand the letter as well!)

If your sister shares custody, I would strongly recommend the letter from the other custodial parent.

Linda

PLUS

CELEBRITY ELITE

NCL PLATINUM

Old April 11th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would bring one just in case. Would hate for your sister and kids to be denied boarding. I have custody of my daughter, but she has a passport, so no letter is needed.
Carnival Legend July 2012 Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1717178
Enchantment of the Seas....September 2013

Old April 11th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

I travel with my son and my husband who is his step father. My son has a different name to me. We have never been asked to explain or produce any documents whilst boarding a ship and that includes boarding in San juan, Barbados and a number of European ports. The only time I have been asked to give an explanation was going through immigration coming back into the uk from a land based holiday.

2006 RCI Voyager of seas
2007 RCI Splendour of the seas
2008 RCI Brilliance of the seas.
2009 Celebrity Solstice
2010 RCI Independence of the Seas
2011 Carnival Victory. Caribbean.
2012 RCI Liberty of the Seas
2012 December RCI Brilliance of the Seas. Xmas and New Year Cruises. Caribbean.
2013 Celebrity Eclipse. Baltic
2013 Navigator of the Seas- med.
Aug 2014 Celebrity Reflection
Cruises Planned
Nov 2014. Celebrity Solstice. New Zealand/Australia.
May 2015. Celebrity Infinity. Alaska.

Old April 11th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm in Canada so the rules will be a little different. I travel quite a lot with my son, leaving his dad at home. I always carry the note and have been asked to produce it about 80% of the times I go through customs. We are not divorced, but I still need it since both parents are not in attendance.

If it was me I would do everything in my power to get a letter. It would be a terrible start to a trip to get turned away and lose your $ and vacation. It would be bad to have a hard time getting back home (which is where they most often seem to stop me). It would be worst of all if her dad came after her for taking his child out of the country without his permission. I'd also call Royal and ask what their policy is.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 11th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Many will tell you that they have never been asked for the letter, others will say they have been asked. Some by Customs, some by cruise line employees.

Others will tell you that with a passport, you don't need it. They are two different things. Just because a minor has a passport (which would have required both parent to approve) some think that this implies permission to travel. It may have, AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION. Things change and later on, one spouse may not approve of a child travelling with the other parent. So I would not rely on the possession of a passport as a guarantee to no issues.

It makes good sense to get the letter and have it, even if they never ask. The fact that the father may refuse to sign it sucks, but you have to try. If they don't ask, great. But if they do, and you don't have it, you may well be denied boarding, and no refund will be offered. No one wants that.

Sovereign of the Seas 10/1/94
Carnival 10/95
DCL Wonder 8/01
Liberty of the Seas 11/3/07
Mariner of the Seas 3/16/08
Carnival Sensation 11/5/09
Liberty of the Seas 8/22/10
Celebrity Eclipse 11/17/10
Navigator of the Seas 4/28/11
Carnival Glory 8/27/11
Freedom of the Seas 4/1/12
Freedom of the Seas 8/26/12
Explorer of the Seas 3/24/13
Freedom of the Seas 8/25/13 (I'm DIAMOND!!)
Oasis of the Seas 4/12/14
Freedom of the Seas 8/24/14

Old April 11th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

I travelled with my kids (I am a divorced mom), and did take a notarized letter with me. I was not asked for it at any time. However, I can't imagine traveling without it, as you trip could be wrecked so quickly.

Old April 11th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've sailed several times on Royal with my kids and a few out of Port Canaveral and I've never been asked for a letter. I dont think its a problem as long as you and your kids have the same last name on your passports (we do).

Mariner of the Seas 5/13/2007
Mariner of the Seas 8/10/2008
Freedom of the Seas 5/17/2009
Freedom of the Seas 4/25/2010
Explorer of the Seas 12/1/2011
Freedom of the Seas 11/24/2013

Old April 11th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow. My travel agent didn't mention anything about needing a letter. She said that since my name was on his birth certificate as his monther, as long as it was the same name on my driver's license, then we would be fine. I had no problems using our birth certificates and my driver's license during our trip.

So even if we HAVE passports, I still would need a letter??? Geez.

Mariner of the Seas - 2013
Navigator of the Seas - 2014
Freedom of the Seas - 2015

Old April 11th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just asking...why would you even mention to rccl that you are divorced? Many parents travel with their children without their spouse. It's not unordinary to see this. BTW I just returned from a Disney cruise with my son his son and his ex wifes daughter who is 11 and different name than anyone traveling with the 9 of us. I did have a notorized letter from her mother but no one ever asked for it.

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

What if your spouse is deceased? Do you have to travel with a copy of the death certificate to prove that you're a single parent?

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, you do need a death certificate. I was once asked for it and denied boarding a flight to Mexico with my 2 kids.

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Does she have a different last name from the children?

ANYONE who has a different last name from the children they are traveling with needs to follow these instructions from Royal Caribbean

3. RCCL Oasis of the Seas (2/19/2011 -- Western: Fort Lauderdale, Labadee, Costa Maya, Cozumel)
  4. Disney Dream (10/9/2011 -- Bahamas: Port Canaveral, Nassau, Castaway Cay)
  5. Disney Dream (7/27/2012 -- Bahamas: Port Canaveral, Castaway Cay, Nassau, Castaway Cay)
  6. RCCL Adventure of the Seas (4/14/2013 -- Southern: Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, Curacao)
  7. Disney Wonder (4/23/2014 -- Bahamas: Miami, Castaway Cay, Nassau, Key West)

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I once forgot the letter driving into Canada. We were stopped at the border and each child interviewed separately as to our purpose, length of trip, etc. We were ultimately allowed to enter, but, not wanting to put them through that again, I get the letter. Haven't been asked for it since! Better to have it and not need it than to not have it when you need it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ON THE HORIZON

10-22-2014 Norwegian Epic - Western Med B2BTA
10-26-2014 Norwegian Epic - Repeating a Relaxing TA
5-2-2015 Quantum of the Seas TA - First Eastbound TA
ROLL CALL UPDATE Mainly 1st leg New Jersey-Barcelona and 53 day guest list
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

10-29-2015 Norwegian Escape - First Inaugural TA - Bringing Her Home to Miami!
3-28-2016 Splendour of the Seas - Vegas of the Middle East Dubai Cruise
4-4-2016 Splendour of the Seas - Ship me somewheres east of Suez! Dubai to Venice Suez Canal Transit

THAT SHIP HAS SAILED
Vision OTS Repositioning 11-13-2013 - Miami to Panama! Oasis OTS Eastern Caribbean 10-05-2013 - Catching up on what I missed on Allure! Allure OTS Western Caribbean 05-19-2013 - First Time on the World's Largest Cruise Ship! Norwegian Epic TA 10-21-2012 - First TA! HAL Westerdam Alaska Inside Passage 09-13-2009 - First Cruise!

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just my experience for what it is worth, last August I traveled in the Caribbean on RCCI with my 2 sons without my hubby and never got questioned about anything at all.

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

following up... IF they have the same names, it shouldn't be an issue. xH just took the kids on a RCL sailing and he didn't have any issues. I did sign a letter saying I approved of the travel, but we didn't get it notarized.

for mine, however, I had to get it notarized since we have different last names. I'm also bringing the birth certificates, divorce certificate and new marriage certificate to show the thread that connects the names.
  3. RCCL Oasis of the Seas (2/19/2011 -- Western: Fort Lauderdale, Labadee, Costa Maya, Cozumel)
  5. Disney Dream (7/27/2012 -- Bahamas: Port Canaveral, Castaway Cay, Nassau, Castaway Cay)
  6. RCCL Adventure of the Seas (4/14/2013 -- Southern: Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, Curacao)

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctimmom View Post
Does she have a different last name from the children?

ANYONE who has a different last name from the children they are traveling with needs to follow these instructions from Royal Caribbean
I've told my sister she should get the letter or the kids have to stay home. I watched the documentary of The Oasis of the Seas. They were turned a parent away for not having a letter. I know for sure you needed a letter if you were a Grandparent but not for one of your own children. I'm myself would not book a cruise without this letter. But my sister doesn't think so. Her and the kids do have the same last name. Called Royal twice and they didn't seem to confident in the answer they gave me. I told the she was divorced because she is having a hard time getting her ex to sign the letter. I thank all of you for the info. and the help you are giving.

https://vimeo.com/63215996
: Monarch of the Seas April 1,2013

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

sorry... another follow up.

When I took the kids on their first RCL cruise, and we had different last names, they actually DID question me at check in. Luckily, xH was actually traveling with us, and I just had to point him out ... I don't want to take that chance so I have my ducks in a row for this next cruise.

Old April 11th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

I travel alone with my children. We have the same last name. They both have passports. I have been asked to provide proof that I'm allowed to leave the country with them a few times (we travel a lot). Government officials don't care what a rep at the cruise line told you. Based on experiences at cruise cruitic, odds are she won't be asked - but I sure wouldn't want to take a chance and have my kids with me when we're denied and have to explain to them why we're not traveling today.

Best,
Mia

Old April 11th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are traveling in August with my daughter, son in law and two granddaughters. My daughter's name is different than her olderst daughter.

Thankfully her ex had no problem signing a letter, but she is still bringing documentation that connects her to her daughter. Birth certificate with her maiden name and marriage certificate to her new husband.

It's a pain, but they won't be able to deny boarding regarding proving she is the mother with permission.

Better safe than sorry. Never know when you will get a stickler for the rules checking you in.
Majesty of the Seas, 1998
Explorer of the Seas, 2001
Celebrity Horizon, 2004
Adventure of the Seas, 2006
Allure of the Seas, 2012
Allure of the Seas, 2013