Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Hawaii

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 19th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wings over Kauai vs Air Ventures

I have read the reviews here and visited Trip Advisor - and I am ready to book my flight online. I know Wings is #1 and Air Ventures #3, so I assume that service and flights are very similar. Both have a base internet booking charge that is the same.

Looking at the reservation forms for each is appears that Air Ventures charges additional tax and fuel charges, while Wings includes these charges in the price - is that correct?

And Air Ventures includes a free DVD - has anyone gotten this and do you think it is worth paying the extra fuel and tax charges?

Thanks!

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 19th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalgirl View Post
I have read the reviews here and visited Trip Advisor - and I am ready to book my flight online. I know Wings is #1 and Air Ventures #3, so I assume that service and flights are very similar. Both have a base internet booking charge that is the same.

Looking at the reservation forms for each is appears that Air Ventures charges additional tax and fuel charges, while Wings includes these charges in the price - is that correct?

And Air Ventures includes a free DVD - has anyone gotten this and do you think it is worth paying the extra fuel and tax charges?

Thanks!
We used Air Ventures when we were there several weeks ago, and I recommend them highly. I looked back at our information, and we paid $250 for 2 of us by booking online, which was a $22 discount instead of calling them to book. I see what you're talking about regarding fuel and tax, but if we were charged that, it was already included in the $250. Enjoy!

Doug
9/99 NCL Norway, 5/02 NCL Norway, 3/04 NCL Majesty, 5/05 Carnival Conquest, 3/06 NCL Sun, 3/09 NCL Jewel, 9/09 NCL Gem, 5/11 Holland America Oosterdam, 11/11 Azamara Quest, 2/12 Disney Wonder, 7/12 Azamara Journey, 1/13 NCL Pride of America, 3/14 NCL Jade, 7/14 Azamara Quest

Old February 20th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Doug - did you get the free video?

Old February 20th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

We used Wings over Kauai for their Grand Duluxe Air Tour a couple of weeks ago. It was $125.00 plus tax per person which we paid when we got there. There were 4 of us on the flight. They picked us up close to the pier to take us to the airport and returned us to the pickup place. They would have dropped us off someplace else or back to the pier if we had wanted. They did give us a free video with our picture, but the video was not of our flight. The pilot attached a movie camera to the wing and said they were beta testing taking video of the flight that would be available for purchase in the future. Our pilot was Josh and he gave a great tour commentary. There was a two-way intercom so we could communicate with him. We had an perfect day for the flight.

Spring 2015 Princess - Panama Canal

Past Cruises

October 27, 1996 Carnival Sensation - Eastern Caribbean from Miami - First Cruise Celebrating 25 years of marriage

November 4, 2009 Carnival Ecstasy - Western Caribbean from Galveston

December 11, 2010 Carnival Ecstasy - Western Caribbean from Galveston with Family

July 18, 2011 Coral Princess - 12 Day Alaskan Cruise Tour from Anchorage - Celebrate 40th Wedding Anniversary onboard Ship

January 26, 2013 Pride of America - Hawaii with seven other couples

Old February 20th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalgirl View Post
Thanks Doug - did you get the free video?
You're welcome. Yes, we did get the video, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. They also took a photo of the group with the pilot before the flight, and emailed it to us.
9/99 NCL Norway, 5/02 NCL Norway, 3/04 NCL Majesty, 5/05 Carnival Conquest, 3/06 NCL Sun, 3/09 NCL Jewel, 9/09 NCL Gem, 5/11 Holland America Oosterdam, 11/11 Azamara Quest, 2/12 Disney Wonder, 7/12 Azamara Journey, 1/13 NCL Pride of America, 3/14 NCL Jade, 7/14 Azamara Quest

Old February 21st, 2013, 09:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you both for the replies. It seems that charging the tax and fuel surcharge is a "hit or miss." I know that Wings over Kauai states on their website that there are no other charges and they are listed as number one on tripadvisor. Both companies have very good reputations so I guess we will go with Wings. No sense in paying more for what seems to be the same tour.

Thanks again!

Old February 26th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Toe-May-Toe, Toe-Mah-Toe

You may be overthinking the choice between Wings over Kauai (WOK) and Air Ventures (AV). My family recently flew with Air Ventures. I cannot tell you that it is "better," because I did not fly with WOK. I seriously doubt that many have.

Both vendors will pick you up at a shopping area near the pier in Nawilliwilli. The check in counters for each vendor are literally adjacent to each other. Given that the planes are flying over the same sites for pretty much the same length of time, I suspect the tours are far more alike than different.

Why did we choose AV ove WOK ? Very simple...I needed 7 seats. Since the planes cannot handle 7 pax plus pilot, this meant 2 flights. AV was able to accommodate my needs on back-to-back flights that would get everyone back in time for departure on POA. Had WOK been able to accommodate me, I would have been fine with them.

Yes, we received the DVD of a flight. It is a perfectly fine recording of a generic flight. This will be true of either vendor.

I will note that we received excellent and considerate service from the folks at AV. I have no reason to believe that WOK would be any different.

Pick the tour that fits your schedule. You will enjoy either one.

Old March 6th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wings over Kauai

I booked Wings over Kauai as a private charter on our upcoming cruise, which they will do if you have at least four in your party. You can then add up to two more as long as you're under there weight limit. Both operators use the G8 AirVan, so I would expect, as Darthdaddy already indicated, the experience would be very similiar.

I wasn't aware of the "Generic Flight" DVD video, was that included or extra ? If extra, how much ? Was one DVD provided per couple, or just one for the group ?

Our Next Great Cruise Adventures
11/2014 - Celebrity Constellation - Caribbean
02/2015 - Carnival Freedom - Ft. Lauderdale to Galveston Repositioning
09/2015 - Carnival Dream - Rontourage Western Caribbean

Our Cruising History
05/2014 - Celebrity Summit - Bermuda
02/2014 - Carnival Sunshine- John Heald's Bloggers Cruise 7 - Western Caribbean
04/2013 - Star Princess - R.T. Los Angeles to Hawaii
03/2012 - Carnival Magic - John Heald's Bloggers Cruise 5 - Western Caribbean
10/2011 - Carnival Magic - Spain & Southern Trans Atlantic
09/2010 - Grand Princess - Norway/Iceland Northern Trans Atlantic
06/2009 - Star Princess - Alaska Inside Passage
01/2009 - Celebrity Galaxy - Southern Caribbean
11/2006 - Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean
12/2004 - NCL Dream - Western Caribbean
11/2003 - Island Princess - Panama Canal
12/2002 - Sun Princess - Mexican Riviera
05/1994 - NCL Dreamward - Bahamas
05/1986 - Carnival Tropicale - Mexican Riviera
12/1980 - American Hawaii USS Independence - Hawaiian Islands

Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Video

We received one video for our family. I suppose I could have insisted on two, since we were actually booked on two flights. Honestly, I never even thought about it.

By "generic" I mean that the video is not taken on the same flight that you are on. Rather, it is a video of the same flight path, i.e., clockwise around the island over all the same sites and physical features. This is a very reasonable way for the companies to handle it. You don't want the pilot unleasing his inner Demille while simultaneously flying the plane. Sending someone to record each flight would be a LOT of lost revenue.

Old April 14th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wings Over Kauai -the details made the difference

We have just returned from our Hawaiian cruise and we really enjoyed our excursion in Kaua’i. We opted for a plane ride through Waimea Canyon and around Napali Coast with Wings Over Kauai, versus a helicopter ride, and we made the right decision. As I said, we flew with Wings Over Kauai and this family run company made all the difference to the enjoyment of our visit. It was their attention to the details that enhanced the quality of the tour. Ellen organizes the tours and personally responds to your emails, queries in a timely and friendly manner. She ensures that the time slot is best for you and your family/group. Moreover, I mixed up the dates and the time slots and she worked extra hard to fix my mistakes and made it seem like no trouble at all. While on the flight the quality of the headsets made the real difference for me. They were comfortable, I could hear the pilots commentary and they cancelled any engine noise which can be load and uncomfortable during an hour long flight. Bruce, the pilot, personalized the tour and commentary based on our interests and it never felt like a cookie cutter tour. We felt like he was enjoying himself too and that somehow made it feel special for us. They took our picture with their camera and our camera and then made us a DVD that they gave to us. They didn’t try and sell us anything before or after. We have never been given a DVD for free. Instead, we have always been “offered a way to capture our experience” at a hefty price. Whether you are visiting for a day or a week I would take the time to contact Wings Over Kauai and take a tour of the island from a bird’s eye view. The price for two of us was $234 total no hidden or extra charges.

Old April 14th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Plane vs heli?

Wondering what are the pros and cons of a plane vs a heli for this type of tour? Thanks for any input. Marilyn
Sun Princess 11/99
Grand Princess 10/01
SS Norway 4/02
Horizon 11/02
Summit 04/04
Zuiderdam 02/05
Zenith 10/05
Zaandam 05/06
Century 11/06
Carnival Legend 04/08
Summit TA 4/18/09
Carnival Glory 10/09
Celebrity Solstice 04/10
Celebrity Solstice 10/10
Westerdam 03/11
MSC Poesia 12/11
Celebrity Summit 04/12
Celebrity Reflection 03/13
Celebrity Millennium 10/13
Allure of the Seas 04/14
Celebrity Equinox *12/14*

Old November 12th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagee View Post
Wondering what are the pros and cons of a plane vs a heli for this type of tour? Thanks for any input. Marilyn
I was researching Wings Over Kauai and came across the question above. Can anyone answer this? Thanks.

Old November 24th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Totally Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by efghi9 View Post
We have just returned from our Hawaiian cruise and we really enjoyed our excursion in Kaua’i. We opted for a plane ride through Waimea Canyon and around Napali Coast with Wings Over Kauai, versus a helicopter ride, and we made the right decision. As I said, we flew with Wings Over Kauai and this family run company made all the difference to the enjoyment of our visit. It was their attention to the details that enhanced the quality of the tour. Ellen organizes the tours and personally responds to your emails, queries in a timely and friendly manner. She ensures that the time slot is best for you and your family/group. Moreover, I mixed up the dates and the time slots and she worked extra hard to fix my mistakes and made it seem like no trouble at all. While on the flight the quality of the headsets made the real difference for me. They were comfortable, I could hear the pilots commentary and they cancelled any engine noise which can be load and uncomfortable during an hour long flight. Bruce, the pilot, personalized the tour and commentary based on our interests and it never felt like a cookie cutter tour. We felt like he was enjoying himself too and that somehow made it feel special for us. They took our picture with their camera and our camera and then made us a DVD that they gave to us. They didn’t try and sell us anything before or after. We have never been given a DVD for free. Instead, we have always been “offered a way to capture our experience” at a hefty price. Whether you are visiting for a day or a week I would take the time to contact Wings Over Kauai and take a tour of the island from a bird’s eye view. The price for two of us was $234 total no hidden or extra charges.

We couldn't agree with you more! The price was great and the tour was exceptional. We did receive the "generic" video after the flight. We will book them again on our next cruise to Hawaii!

We are just,
RetiredNTraveling!(Mike & Betty)

Platinum Member "Remember Travel First Class, If You Don't, Your Kids Will!"

Old November 24th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljgljg View Post
I was researching Wings Over Kauai and came across the question above. Can anyone answer this? Thanks.
When a helicopter's motor quits, it down, down and - - - -! When a small airplane's engine quits, it's a matter of gliding to the beach or road below. At least that is my perception. Plus on the G8, every seat is a window seat with no middle seats inbetween other people.

We are just,
RetiredNTraveling!(Mike & Betty)

Platinum Member "Remember Travel First Class, If You Don't, Your Kids Will!"