Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
- Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Princess Cruise Deals
- Write a Princess Cruise Review
- Find Your Princess Roll Call
See posts about:
Caribbean Princess
Diamond Princess
Island Princess
Royal Princess
Sun Princess

Coral Princess
Emerald Princess
Ocean Princess
Ruby Princess
Star Princess

Crown Princess
Golden Princess
Pacific Princess
Sapphire Princess

Dawn Princess
Grand Princess
Regal Princess
Sea Princess

Old February 10th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default The "New" Horizon Court Design and International Cafe

I know there's another thread about the International Cafe happening now, but, I haven't cruised on a Princess ship since they started changing the Horizon Courts in Drydock (I'll be on the Star, which I believe has been changed) but I'm curious about how that change (for lack of a better word) "changed" the Horizon Court experience.

Whenever I take a first-time cruiser on Princess I explain that the first day or two there's a little confusion in the HC, because people start to "line-up", and it takes people a while to grasp that it's more of a "walk to the buffet of your choice and grab what you want" situation more than it is a cafeteria line. But, has the new HC design changed that?

I also haven't sailed Princess since the International Cafe became more of a HC substitute. And, what I mean by that is, I think the times I sailed on a ship with an International Cafe, I just assumed it was a specialty coffee and pastry place...but it now sounds as though you can get "real" food there...sandwiches, etc. Has the growth in popularity at the Int'l Cafe created any noticable decrease in foot-traffic at HC?

One last thought...I have always thought that on day one, the employees handing out cutlery should be announcing in a friendly way to guests "No need to form a line, just browse the different stations until you see something you like"...or something similar. I'm just curious if this redesign would make that announcement less-necessary...or no longer correct. If that makes sense.

Old February 10th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Main change in HC is that they moved the deserts outside of the main buffet are into a separate one. At this area they also server made to order sandwiches, jacket potatoes, toast, jam, cereals at breakfast. This allows people to get those items without going through all the crowds again.

There has not been anyone hading out cutlery for a while now as all the tables are now set up for you with napkins, glassware, cutlery, and waiters to get your drinks if you want.

I don't think the IC has taken over from HC, there are different options on offer, and are mainly for light bites such as soup, salads, cakes, biscuits, paninis etc which are not available in HC.
Just done:
Royal Princess, 2 night preview, 14th June 2013
Royal Princess, MAIDEN CRUISE, Iberia, 7 nights, 16th June 2013
124 days completed and counting.
28 Captain's Circle Credits.
I don't have any Toblerones.

Old February 10th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hmmm, I forget whether my last Princess cruise (2008) had someone handing out cutlery...I do remember more server interaction.

So, are there still two "sides" (Starboard and Port)...and at certain times of the day one is closed, and at high-traffic times both sides are open?

Old February 10th, 2013, 05:28 PM
5,000+ Club

Location: The interior of BC about 4 hrs north of Vancouver . In the dry part of the Province

The cooking area is wide open for people to see what is going. You can actually thru to the other side of the horizon court. People still line up like at regular buffet but you can move forward to the salad , sandwich and other stations very easily.
Caribbean Jan 2008 , November 2011
Alaska Aug 2008 , May 2010 , June 2013
Pacific Coastal May 2010
Mexican Riviera January 2011
Hawaii April 2012 , Feb 2013
California Coastal Crown Sept 2014
Princess 11x HAL 3x RCI 2x
Future
Pacific Coastal January 19 to 30 ,2015

Alaska Sampler May 2 to 6,2015

Alaska Northbound July 11 to 18 ,2015

Alaska Southbound July 18 to 25 ,2015

Old February 10th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissDave View Post
Main change in HC is that they moved the deserts outside of the main buffet are into a separate one. At this area they also server made to order sandwiches, jacket potatoes, toast, jam, cereals at breakfast. This allows people to get those items without going through all the crowds again.
Do you know if this is true of Diamond Princess? It sounds an interesting addition.

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 10th, 2013, 06:02 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionAnon View Post
Hmmm, I forget whether my last Princess cruise (2008) had someone handing out cutlery...I do remember more server interaction.

So, are there still two "sides" (Starboard and Port)...and at certain times of the day one is closed, and at high-traffic times both sides are open?

Sometimes they still hand them out.

Yes they alternate sides at certain times.

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

The HC on the Star was redone during the last Dry Dock. There is additional room and an additional counter on each side. There is still a port and starboard side HC area and at some times, such as early morning, late night only one side is open. They have additional seating in the indoor pool area. Tableware is on your table, both indoors, in the pool area and on the aft terrace. Waiters get you coffee, tea, juice, ice tea, bar drinks, whatever. Purell your hands, grab a plate and select whatever you want. Open 6AM to 11PM. No more ice cream at 3:30 in the HC. Soft Ice Cream is available all day free of charge at the ice cream bar by the Lido pool.

The IC on Deck 5 is much different. It is one on our favorite places to eat without stuffing ourselves. They have a nice selection of pastries and an egg McMuffin type sandwich for breakfast, paninis, salads, soup, desserts for lunch & dinner until later in the evening when they switch over to things like cheese, dried fruit, desserts. And of course there are the soft cookies. All no charge.They are open 24 hours.There are no free beverages in the IC except water which you can get from the bar. The coffee bar is there and it sells expresso, special coffee drinks and special tea. You can also get a coffee card. Search CC and there are many descriptions of the coffee card. There are also photos of the IC on CC. Search for them.

Old February 10th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks. Can I assume when in the IC you can't use your Ultimate Beverage Sticker (or whatever they call it now) to get a soda? Would I need to go to the bar for that?

Old February 10th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionAnon View Post
Thanks. Can I assume when in the IC you can't use your Ultimate Beverage Sticker (or whatever they call it now) to get a soda? Would I need to go to the bar for that?
The International Cafe and the Bar Piazza are pretty much one contiguous area. And on the Grand Princess last month the coffee baristas would gladly take your from-the-bar beverage order as well.

First Cruise: NCL MS Sunward, Bahamas, July 1972
Four cruises in eleven months 2011/12--March: Star Princess So Caribbean; August: Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic; November: Queen Victoria Venice-Ft Lauderdale; February: Celebrity Infinity Around Cape Horn (review--X never again!)
Plus ths last minute booking: Grand Princess 12/15/12--a brief prelude to...
Spring 2013--freestyle v. elegance: Norwegian Star EB TA---> Queen Mary 2 Northern Highlights + WB TA
Fall 2013 Canada/NE: Maasdam Montreal-Ft Lauderdale--booked 8 days before sailing; no pre-cruise anxiety here
Sept 2014 RCI Vision of the Seas for my big five-0: Ports A, Ship C- (and that's generous)

Old February 10th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Last April, on the Ruby, there was one way in and one way out. They had staff at far entrance to insure everyone went to the right line to enter. Cutlery was already set on tables.

Old February 10th, 2013, 09:05 PM
20,000+ Club

Besides the wider aisles inside the traditional serving area of the Horizon Court, most of the counters are set up to be approaced in two directions with the same food on each.

o Some less selection since the same foods are on both sides of the counter

o Less lines since the foods can be approaced in two directions

First two pictures are of the remodeled traditional serving area

New area for bread, waffles (breakfast) and desserts (rest of day)

Above pictures are from the Star Princess

Old February 10th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Caribill, thanks for posting these, we go out on the Star later this year and its the first princess cruise we have done where we are not on CB or one of her sister ships.

Old February 10th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

The Horizon Court is the worst feature of Princess. Poor design for handling crowds. I would hope they could figure this one out for future ships but apparently didn't learn early on.

Old February 10th, 2013, 11:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphman View Post
The Horizon Court is the worst feature of Princess. Poor design for handling crowds. I would hope they could figure this one out for future ships but apparently didn't learn early on.
I think they have finally gotten it right. The redesign on the Grand-class ships (as seen in caribill's photos above) is a vast improvement and much more user-friendly than the split Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe arrangement on the larger ships.

First Cruise: NCL MS Sunward, Bahamas, July 1972
Four cruises in eleven months 2011/12--March: Star Princess So Caribbean; August: Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic; November: Queen Victoria Venice-Ft Lauderdale; February: Celebrity Infinity Around Cape Horn (review--X never again!)
Plus ths last minute booking: Grand Princess 12/15/12--a brief prelude to...
Spring 2013--freestyle v. elegance: Norwegian Star EB TA---> Queen Mary 2 Northern Highlights + WB TA
Fall 2013 Canada/NE: Maasdam Montreal-Ft Lauderdale--booked 8 days before sailing; no pre-cruise anxiety here
Sept 2014 RCI Vision of the Seas for my big five-0: Ports A, Ship C- (and that's generous)

Old February 10th, 2013, 11:05 PM
30,000+ Club

Our last Princess cruise was in 2006 when we did the 17 day Panama on the Sun Princess, but this Sept, I will join friends for the 7 day Coastal on the Star. I recall the way the HC was originally designed and it was a mess.

Old February 11th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribill View Post
Besides the wider aisles inside the traditional serving area of the Horizon Court, most of the counters are set up to be approaced in two directions with the same food on each.

o Some less selection since the same foods are on both sides of the counter

o Less lines since the foods can be approaced in two directions

First two pictures are of the remodeled traditional serving area

Above pictures are from the Star Princess
Thanks Caribill!

A picture IS worth a thousand words. That looks roomier than it used to be. That's a relief. One of the reasons I explain that I like Princess is the less-crowded feel, when compared to some other lines...and the HC seemed like one of the few exceptions to that rule.

I'll be travelling with a moderately crowd-phobic friend I've been trying to get to cruise for years.

Thanks again.

Old February 11th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for posting those pictures. The new buffet area looks fantastic.

Still wondering which ships this has been done to, and particularly if Diamond Princess has been remodelled.

Old February 11th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie1145 View Post
Thank you for posting those pictures. The new buffet area looks fantastic.

Still wondering which ships this has been done to, and particularly if Diamond Princess has been remodelled.
Diamond will be pretty long in the tooth when she gets her next drydock unfortunately. The flip side is that it will likely receive many of the improvements the sapphire received and more.

Drydock schedule
2013 Golden Princess P320, Golden Princess P311, Sapphire Princess E731
2012 Star Princess B703, Oosterdam 4171, Amsterdam 3415, Island Princess C610
2011 Island Princess B729, Coral Princess C728, Golden Princess E618
2010 Carnival Paradise, Carribean Princess A255, Golden Princess(2X)
2000's Golden Princess, Norwegian Star, Sapphire Princess D221, Pride of America 8027, Rhapsody of the Seas
1990's Maasdam, Ryndam, NCL Windward, Celebrity Horizon, Nieuw Amsterdam, Star Princess
1980's, Starward, Fairwind

Old February 11th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribill View Post
That new dessert station does look like it would help with overcrowding in the main buffet area. But I'm wondering how it affected the seating capacity of the Horizon Court, since it took over a large chunk of the former seating area.

Star Princess (Hawaii) - 3/14 ... Photos ... Patters
Coral Princess (Panama Canal) - 4/12 ... Photos ... Patters
Golden Princess (Alaska) - 6/11 ... Photos ... Patters
Golden Princess (Hawaii) - 1/11 ... Photos ... Patters
Mariner of the Seas (Mexico) - 12/09 ... Photos ... Compasses
Sapphire Princess (Mexico) - 2/09 ... Photos
Star Princess (Alaska) - 5/08 ... Photos
Dawn Princess (Caribbean) -4/05 ... Photos
Rhapsody of the Seas (Mexico) -1/01
Carnival Holiday (Mexico) - 1/99
RCCL Song of America (Mexico) - 3/97
Carnival Imagination (Caribbean) - 4/96
Celebrity Meridian (Caribbean) 3/94
NCL Southward (Mexico) - 7/93
Carnival Jubilee (Mexico) - 2/91 ... Photos ... Capers

Old February 11th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasperdo View Post
That new dessert station does look like it would help with overcrowding in the main buffet area. But I'm wondering how it affected the seating capacity of the Horizon Court, since it took over a large chunk of the former seating area.
On the star, they reduced the number of large round tables and got rid of many of the half walls. Combined, it allows greater flexibility and better flow. I would say the seating is the same if not closely similar as before. They also seem to provide more attention to seating in the calypso pool area.
2013 Golden Princess P320, Golden Princess P311, Sapphire Princess E731
2012 Star Princess B703, Oosterdam 4171, Amsterdam 3415, Island Princess C610
2011 Island Princess B729, Coral Princess C728, Golden Princess E618
2010 Carnival Paradise, Carribean Princess A255, Golden Princess(2X)
2000's Golden Princess, Norwegian Star, Sapphire Princess D221, Pride of America 8027, Rhapsody of the Seas
1990's Maasdam, Ryndam, NCL Windward, Celebrity Horizon, Nieuw Amsterdam, Star Princess
1980's, Starward, Fairwind