Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Closed Thread

Old January 12th, 2013, 06:15 AM
10,000+ Club

Talking Everything ROYAL PRINCESS: What are you looking forward to MOST of all?

The idea was tossed out there to start a thread for all who EXCITED and are booked, or are looking at booking, the new ROYAL PRINCESS. In addition to this I would like to start a sort of 'Everything Royal Princess' thread, putting the ships public areas together on one thread, starting with the Plaza Deck and working up. At regular intervals I want to add 'still shots' from the Princess released videos of the interiors so that we can start getting a full grasp on what the ship has to offer. Each new segment will deal with a particular venue or feature.

Any new press releases, new information, or pictures of the ship we can try and put into this single thread so everything stays together and not spread out too much across the forum in the coming months.

Hopefully everyone booked on the new Royal Princess will pitch in!!! Maybe we can keep this going for a while until the first passengers are aboard!

Figured we could start off by saying what we are looking forward to most about the new ship, what we plan on enjoying, and what we want to do the first day we step onboard.

As for me I'm looking forward to the Pub Lunches again!!! I had never experienced them before and rather enjoyed the two I had on Ruby Princess last month. Also want to see how they do it in the expanding Wheel House and Crown Grill combo room, and if there will be more seating.

And to start the 'Everything Royal Princess' portion, two screen shots of the beautiful expanded atrium and Piazza area:

Looking forward from the port side aft atrium area near the back of Crooners...

Looking aft from the starboard side forward area near the Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar...

Last edited by dmwnc1959; January 12th, 2013 at 06:16 AM.

Old January 12th, 2013, 07:14 AM
10,000+ Club

Default Atrium and Piazza

At the core of the Royal Princess, the heartbeat and hub of the ship, is the atrium and Piazza. Inspired by the bustling piazzas of Italy, this grand atrium -- the expanded, stunning centerpiece of Royal Princess -- spans three decks and features a relaxing piano lounge, live and exciting Piazza entertainment, casual shopping, and beautiful, inviting eateries, as well as two stunning spiral staircases and glass-walled lifts that provide panoramic overviews out into the atrium. The piazza and all of its amazing venues are elegantly designed, yet are a refreshingly comfortable environment. Princess invites you to enjoy the piazza-styled atrium throughout your day, and well into the night.

Here you will find an image of the three decks (Deck 5 - Plaza Deck; Deck 6 - Fiesta Deck; and Deck 7 - Promenade Deck) that make up the core of the Piazza and atrium, and the shops and venues that make up this amazing space:

More to come on the shops and venues....

Old January 12th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

We are looking forward to booking an S2 suite on Baja. I wish Princess would update the deck plans on the website. I understand these have been reconfigured to include an aft-facing door.

The first thing we do is book UBD! Then, I find the remote for the TV (it's a guy thing).
Princess Emerald Princess (2010) Mini-suite
Carnival Conquest (2008)
Princess Grand Princess (2003)
Carnival Victory (2002)
Celebrity Century (1997) Century Suite
Carnival Fantasy (1997)
Carnival Ecstasy (1994) Grand Suite
NCL Sunward (1992) Marquee Suite
RCI Nordic Empress (1990)
RCI Song of America (1988)

Old January 12th, 2013, 08:00 AM
5,000+ Club

This is a nice idea for a thread...thank you! While I love cruise critic, lately many of the threads have been negative and critical, which I really do not enjoy reading. each year right after the holidays the negative threads all start, and this year was no exception.

I am just excited to explore a new ship...clean, new, beautifully decorated and appointed! We are on her fourth voyage along with oth family members and we can't wait. Most of the Princess ships (with the exception of the Ocean and presumably the Pacific) have alot of commonality, so will anxious to see what is the same and what is different. The family with us will be checking out the ship as it relates to children...kids facilities, pools, etc. They are excited to have connecting cabins...which I do not know of other Princess ships that have this?

I'm excited to see who is Captain and CD...assume it will be a great honor!

Upcoming: Regal Princess, Jan., 2015 Caribbean

HAL Prinsendam, Northern Europe, Sept. 2014, Freedom of the Seas, W. Carib, March, 2014, HAL Eurodam, W. Carib. Nov., 2013, Royal Princess Grand Med., July, 2013, Emerald Princess, Caribbean, Jan. 2013, Sapphire Princess, California Coastal, Oct. 2012, Enchantment of the Seas-Bermuda, Aug. 2012, Freedom of the Seas-Caribbean, May, 2012, Star Princess, S. Caribbean Mar., 2011, Ocean Princess-Greek Isles/Med-Sept., 2010, Crown Princess-W. Carib. March, 2010, Island Princess-Panama Canal, Nov. 2009, Emerald Princess S. Caribbean, Jan. 2009, Coral Princess-Alaska Cruisetour-June, 2008, Emerald Princess-S. Caribbean- Jan., 2008, Mariner of the Seas-E. Caribbean-January, 2007, Golden Princess-Med/Greek Isles-October, 2006, Star Princess-W. Caribbean-January, 2006, Golden Princess-W. Europe/British Isles-June, 2005, HAL Zuiderdam-E. Caribbean-Dec. 2003, HAL Volendam-W. Caribbean-Dec. 2002. Silversea-Silver Whisper-Mediterranean-May, 2002, Grand Princess-W. Caribbean-Oct. 2001, Sea Princess-W. Caribbean-Feb, 2000, Carnival Destiny-Canada/New England-June, 2000, HAL Maasdam-Baltic/Russia-July, 2000, Grand Princess-Grand Med.-June, 1999 and others...celebrating over 30 years of cruising!

Last edited by sunsetbeachgal; January 12th, 2013 at 08:02 AM.

Old January 12th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Excellent job dmwnc! I will have to wait till March 2014 to sail her but will be compiling info until then. For example I did not know there will be connecting rooms. Anyone know what kind of restaurant Alfredo's will be? I agree with sunsetbeachgirl, it will just be nice to enjoy a new ship with some new structures.

ROYAL PRINCESS 3/2014
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 3/2013
CROWN PRINCESS 3/2012
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS 2/2011
ISLAND PRINCESS 3/2010
EMERALD PRINCESS 3/2009
GRAND PRINCESS 3/2008
CROWN PRINCESS 3/2007
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 3/2006

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 12th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks for this thread!

Thank You dmwnc for starting this thread - you must have read my mind as I mentioned on my roll call that I felt that all posts about the Royal seem to be quite negative.

I personally cannot wait for this cruise!!!! It will be my first cruise that I have a balcony cabin (albeit obstructed but still a balcony ).

I am looking forward to the new atrium, expanded Alfredos and international cafe. Also looking forward to dragging my Mum over the sea walk (she is terrified but I think it will be amazing!).

How long till the maiden cruise? can't wait to hear the initial reviews but am aware that all new ships have teething problems so what expect 100% raving reviews.
Grand Princess Aug 2008 - see photos below Norway Iceland & Belfast
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1112705...7606808645171/

Old January 12th, 2013, 08:56 AM
10,000+ Club

Wow! THANKS for all the kind words and positive feedback! I too found myself focusing on things other than how I was going to enjoy myself, so last night I made a long list, bought my airline ticket (half of it at least), and decided to move forward with eager anticipation.

This will take some time to go through the whole ship so bare with me. I want to do this right, almost like a LIVE thread but without a ship, or pictures, or much of anything other than a deck plan, their videos, and my imagination.

Hope it doesn't disappoint.

Old January 12th, 2013, 09:19 AM
10,000+ Club

Default Plaza Deck - Deck 5

For the next couple of days I want to focus on the venues on PLAZA DECK (Deck 5), which is the ground floor of the atrium, and the hub of activity for the Piazza of Royal Princess.

Home to passenger favorites such as the International Cafe and the Vines wine bar, and new venues like Gelato and Celebrations, the Plaza Deck will also feature live, exiting entertainment and music. The Internet Cafe is also located on the starboard side aft section of the Plaza Deck.

Here is a floor plan for the center court of the Piazza:

More to come soon with descriptions and screen shots of each of those venues....

Old January 12th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

What a fantastic idea for a thread!

We are on the transatlantic, and can't wait. I really can't isolate one thing we are most looking forward to. Just seeing the new ship, with the new ideas and additions. I'm sure by the time we sail in October, we will have enjoyed one or two "Live Froms", and will have a better idea of what we are most excited to see in person. But if I had to name one thing right now, it would be the expanded atrium.
Oct 2016: Azamara Journey: Rome to Dubai

Chris and Jackie's Completed Cruises:
2014 - Panama Canal Full Transit (Island Princes) 2013 - Maiden TA Crossing (Royal Princess), 2013 - Caribbean (Ruby Princess) 2012 - Bermuda (HAL Veendam YUCK! ); 2012 - Hawaiian Islands (Sapphire Princess); 2011 - Canada/New England (Caribbean Princess); 2011 - Panama Canal Full Transit (Coral Princess); 2010 - Caribbean (Ruby Princess); 2010 - Transatlantic (Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen) (Star Princess); 2009 - Mexican Riviera (Sapphire Princess); 2009 - Coastal Vancouver to LA (Sapphire Princess); 2009 - Alaskan Sampler (Sapphire Princess); 2009 Caribbean (repositioning San Juan to NYC) (Caribbean Princess); 2008 - Mediterranean/Greek Isles (Grand Princess); 2007 - Caribbean (Crown Princess); 2007 - Southern Caribbean (Constellation) ; 2006 Grand Mediterranean (25th anniversary) (Grand Princess); 2005 - Eastern Caribbean (Caribbean Princess); 2004 Frist Mediterranean Cruise (Brilliance of the Seas) ; 2004 - Eastern Caribbean (Golden Princess); 2002 - Western Caribbean (Grand Princess); 1981 Honeymoon Caribbean cruise on the first Carnival cruise ship (Carnival)

Old January 12th, 2013, 10:17 AM
10,000+ Club

Default Piazza, Plaza Deck - Deck 5 (continued)...

International Cafe -

Now with an expanded seating area on Royal Princess, this passenger favorite is open 24 hours a day serving an ever-changing array of quick bites and light meal choices.

In the morning, passengers will be attracted by the aroma of freshly baked croissants and Danish pastries; while in the afternoon the Cafe serves grilled-to-order paninis, quiches and salads. At dinnertime passengers can stop by for paninis, salad or dessert.

Throughout the day, the cafe features our famous fresh-baked cookies, and coffee lovers can also select from a variety of specialty coffee drinks and Revolution teas. (Princess Cruises)

Approaching the International Cafe from the forward port side atrium

Entrance to International Cafe Plaza Deck (Deck 5)

Display cases full of yummy sandwiches, salads, and delicious pastries

The elegant expanded seating area adjacent to the coffee bar with sea view windows

I can just see me now, sitting there every morning. And I already have my seat picked out...

Next up - Vines, Gelato, and Celebrations.

Old January 12th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Everything about sailing on this ship excites me. But the one thing I hope for the most is getting in on the chefs table. Every cruise that I have participated in the chefs table was special(3 so far), but to be able to do it on the Royal is going to be huge

Old January 12th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

This is a great idea! I'm booked for an October cruise, but only if I find a job!
I put a deposit down, booked a deluxe on the dolphin deck, hoping now that we are not too close to the lifeboats/tenders.
I haven't sailed on Princess in 10 years, and never on a brand new ship so I'm really excited. It was a different cruise than the other lines I have been on, I like the relaxed atmosphere of Princess. That was a solo cruise, but this one hope to bring my DS (5) and my DH.

Looking forward to following the thread and seeing more pictures!!! Keep them coming!
Golden Princess 4/2002 Solo
RCCL Mariner of the Seas 08/2007
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 10/2010 Solo
Carnival Glory 2012
Disney Dream 10/2014

Old January 12th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

WOW, what a great thread! I'm booked on her Dec 22nd Holiday Cruise and cannot wait! I took my first ever cruise this past August to Alaska on the Golden and thuroughly enjoyed my time onboard. Like many one of my fav locals was the IC so I am looking forward to seeing the expanded IC on Royal.

Future: Disney Fantasy - November 29, 2014 - 7 nt. Eastern Caribbean; Pacific Princess - May 25, 2015 - 7 nt. Alaska Southbound;

Sailed: Golden Princess - August 4, 2012 - 7 nt Alaska w/ Glacier Bay; Disney Magic - January 18, 2013 - 8 nt. Bahamas; Royal Princess - October 29, 2013 - 5 nt. Maiden Caribbean Voyage; Ruby Princess - April 12, 2014 - 5 nt. Western Caribbean

Old January 12th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

First thank you for starting this thread. I too have read far to many negative things for a ship that isn't even built yet. We are booked on thd maiden TA . Although we have cruised many times this will only be our 2nd with Princess..Our first was on the Oct Ruby TA in 2009. We were in an inside cabin which we found perfectly fine..once we got used to the darkness of the mornings... This time we wanted a balcony and chose a cat D4 aft on the a Dolphin deck.. Needless to say the first thing I will do is check out our cabin...Im sure we will spend much time just exploring the new ship...

Am enjoying your pictures of the ship, I find them much easier to visualize the real thing...
Looking forward to hearing from others over the next several months...Thanks again
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”- Mark Twain

Old January 12th, 2013, 11:28 AM
10,000+ Club

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the thread so far. I'm trying to get the best screen grabs and use all the limited resources that I can to try and make it interesting. I work midnight shifts so I'll add more later this evening and as much as I can during the mornings.

I'm only booked in an Inside cabin. Wish I could spring for a balcony but its a huge jump in price (over $1000) since I'm paying the Single Occupancy Surcharge. No matter, I had the same type of cabin or Ruby Princess and it was plenty fine enough. I'm just hoping Royal Princess has shower DOORS instead of curtains!

timetravler the Chefs Table looks and sounds AMAZING!!! I'll definitely be hitting the dining areas in this virtual review of the ship. Can't wait to see how the Curtain of Light looks for real.

The expanded atrium does look amazing and I'll add more screen shots of it towards the end of this section before heading off into adjacent areas just off the atrium like Sabatini's.

Only 155 Days until she sets sail on her Maiden Voyage!

This is going to be the BEST CRUISE EVER!!!

Old January 12th, 2013, 11:39 AM
10,000+ Club

P.S. here's my starter list of the things I'm looking forward to. What does your list look like?

- Pub Lunches in Wheelhouse Bar and Crown Grill
- Eating different kinds of pizzas at the expanded Alfredo's
- Dining twice at Sabatini's
- Hamburgers at Trident Grill
- Crown Grill for filet mignon
- International Cafe (loved the shrimp salad)
- The atrium's Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar for sushi
- Brand new ship!!!
- SeaWalk views of sunrises and sunsets
- Taking pictures from the promenade deck sun porches looking forward as the ship plows through the water

Old January 12th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am looking forward to seeing the new atrium for the first time. It looks so elegant in the pictures. The decor in the cabins gives a feeling of serenity and that's what attracts us to Princess. I am also looking forward to experiencing the new serenity pool.

Thrilled to welcome our first grandchild to the family!!

Home Lines, Doric June 1980, Bermuda (7 days)
HAL, Noordam, August 1990 Alaska (7 days)
Coral Princess, March 2007 Panama Canal (10 days)
Emerald Princess, May 2008 Grand Med (12 days)
Crown Princess, March 2009, Eastern Caribbean (7 days)
Star Princess, October 2009, Sydney to LA.(30 days)
Star Princess, April 2010, TransAtlantic Northern Europe (18 days)
Emerald Princess,April 2011 Eastern Caribbean Voyager (10 days)
Emerald Princess, March 2012 Southern Caribbean (10 days)
Caribbean Princess, June 2012 British Isles (12 days)
Emerald Princess March-April 2013, Eastern caribbean Voyager (10 days)
Royal Princess March-April 2014 Caribbean (7 days)

Old January 12th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

I also thank you for starting this nice positive and fun thread. We are also booked on the Dec. 22, 2013 Christmas cruise.

I am so excited to see the new ship. I am looking forward to the re-arranged buffet and the special pastry area. I also want to see how they handle the lido deck and the pool area. But, our absolute favorite space is the IC. We spent a lot of time in the Piazza just enjoying our surroundings and people watching on our last several cruises.

Sept. 12, 2013 Disney Dream~Bahamas
June 15-22, 2013 Star Princess~Alaska
December 17-27, 2012 Emerald Princess ~ S. Caribbean
July 21-28, 2012 Golden Princess~Alaska
July 10-19, 2011 Caribbean Princess~E. Caribbean and Bermuda

Aug 8-15, 2009 Golden Princess~ Alaska
Apr 5-12, 2009 RCI Mariner of the Seas~ Mexican Riviera
May 3-10, 2008 Disney Magic~ Western Caribbean and May 10-17, 2008 WDW

Old January 12th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm expecting a totally eyes up/jaw down experience when I see her for the 1st time and an audible gasp when I set foot in the atrium.

Old January 12th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We're not booked on the new Royal, but we're hoping that we can next January. I love the idea of sailing on a ship in its first year in service. I love seeing all the newness of everything.

Sunbird Mediterranean and Africa 07/99, Golden Princess Eastern Caribbean Nov/03, Sun Princess Southern Caribbean Apr/04, Star Princess Western Caribbean Nov/04, Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean Jan/05, Louis Hellenic Calypso Greek Islands Jun/05 Coral Princess Panama Canal Nov 4/05, Dawn Princess Mexican Riviera Jan 29/06, Sapphire Princess US Pacific Coastal May 13/06, Crown Princess Eastern Caribbean Sept 30/06, NCL Crown Bermuda Sept 23/07, Diamond Princess Hawaii Feb. 1/08, Emerald Princess Southern Caribbean Feb. 8/09, Caribbean Princess Canada New England Sept. 5/09, B2B Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean Jan 24 and Jan 31/09, Crown Princess Canada Colonial America Oct 17/10, Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean Nov. 6/11, Crown Princess Southern Caribbean Jan 28/12, Grand Princess Eastern Caribbean Feb 4/12, Crown Princess Greek Isles Oct 15/12, Royal Princess Eastern Caribbean Jan 26/14

Closed Thread