Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Cunard Line
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Cunard Line
Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Cunard Cruise Deals.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:21 AM
balf balf is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transatlantic fan View Post
Last week when we were on the Qm2 i had brought some onboard credit myself and i still had to use this up before they would give me discount on my dry cleaning, even after i used it they forgot to take it off and said they would credit the $8.00 back to my card...Still waiting
And they still confiscate any unspent OBC (your money) at the end of the cruise. They seem to be unable or more likely unwilling to grasp that this should be added as a credit to your on board account.

Folks, never ever buy your own OBC. Leave it in your bank even if it is earning nothing. Sometimes I despair of Cunard who seem to make up their own outrageous rules and to get away with it.

David.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #22  
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:29 AM
hcrane hcrane is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 692
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacia View Post
Ok, so, I send out drycleaning/laundry. But I haven't spend my entire on-board credit, so I don't get the 20% WC discount.

But then, a few days later, my on board credit is exhaused. Then does the 20% discount get applied to my precious drycleaning/laundry?

The wording on the terms is ambigious on this point, to quote:. 20% Savings will be applied after any allocated non-refundable on board credit has been spent.

Yes, I know, we're not talking about much money here, but nickles and dimes seems important to Cunard, so I'll play the game
Hi Salacia,

Here's a link:

http://www.cunard.com/already-booked/cunard-world-club/

The 20% will be applied to laundry when OOC is gone but it is not retroactive to what had been done when you had OBC.

Emailed my agent and decorum prevents me from repeating what she said.

I also emailed a few folks in Valencia - it was all news to them out there in Calffornia.

Time for another Tea Party? After all Cunard's first US port was Boston
Reply With Quote

  #23  
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:37 AM
3rdGenCunarder 3rdGenCunarder is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balf View Post
And they still confiscate any unspent OBC (your money) at the end of the cruise. They seem to be unable or more likely unwilling to grasp that this should be added as a credit to your on board account.

Folks, never ever buy your own OBC. Leave it in your bank even if it is earning nothing. Sometimes I despair of Cunard who seem to make up their own outrageous rules and to get away with it.

David.
WHAT???? That's outrageous!!! I understand that if they GIVE you the OBC, they can take that back as it's "their" money. But if you buy your OBC, or someone gives it to you as a gift, that is not "their" money, and they should not keep it.
__________________
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
5 QM2 - 3 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia
1 Caronia - Baltic
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
5 HAL
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
Reply With Quote

  #24  
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:39 AM
3rdGenCunarder 3rdGenCunarder is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guernseyguy View Post
I think a lot of the problem this morning was that people were ignoring the colour coded disembarkation numbers and simply joining the queue when they wanted - if this had been better policed and queue jumpers turned away it might have been easier - as it was, when they called my "priority" number the queue stretched from the Queen's Room, through the Lobby and back past the theatre- so we went back to Todd English - where they chucked us out at 10 - by which time the queue was ~ 20 minutes and only reached the Chart Room. Immigration itself went smoothly and quickly - then there was a 40 minute wait for a taxi.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by balf View Post
As they always do.

David.

Yes, too true. Sadly, the crew made no attempt at any method of control. A few people tried to jump the queue by pretending they didn't know where the end was. People politely, but firmly, told them where the end was. Two men jumped the queue right at the door of the Britannia restaurant and would not go. Several people told them where the end of the queue was and how unfair it was on the people who had been waiting for more than an hour, but they wouldn't listen. Several of us simply refused to let them wriggle in ahead of us, but they soon found someone who gave in. At least a fight didn't break out, which is a testimony to the good behavior of those of us who had been queueing for so long.

What I find intersting is that the crew were SURPRISED that this happened! Had they never seen the queues for tenders????? As we were leaving the ship, I heard the snippy little girl with the walkie-talkie trying to explain the situation to the person on the other end. She said "We're surprised that so many people got in the queue early, so it isn't working quite according to plan." That's a heck of a euphemism for "our plans were poor and it's a shrieking mess."

Perhaps if they had given everyone the full list, people might have understood. We got the list for independent travelers. Looking at that list, it appeared that Immigration officers were on board at 6:45 with nothing to do until the first group would be called at 9:00. So why not scoot in right away before other arrive? Based on previous experience, I think the 6:45-9:00 interval was probably for tours and intransit passengers. And if the independents had known that, some might have been more understanding of the time frames.

Our reward for standing in the queue instead of waiting in TE was that it was easy to get a porter and there were few people waiting for cars. AND we got out early enough to avoid waiting charges from the car service. If we hadn't arranged the car service, we would have lounged around TE all morning.
__________________
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
5 QM2 - 3 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia
1 Caronia - Baltic
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
5 HAL
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
Reply With Quote

  #25  
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:44 AM
3rdGenCunarder 3rdGenCunarder is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacia View Post
Ok, so, I send out drycleaning/laundry. But I haven't spend my entire on-board credit, so I don't get the 20% WC discount.

But then, a few days later, my on board credit is exhaused. Then does the 20% discount get applied to my precious drycleaning/laundry?

The wording on the terms is ambigious on this point, to quote:. 20% Savings will be applied after any allocated non-refundable on board credit has been spent.

Yes, I know, we're not talking about much money here, but nickles and dimes seems important to Cunard, so I'll play the game
There are two ways you can solve this.

1. Bring enough clothes to last until you've used up your OBC. (I realize that this is a problem if you've toured before the cruise and are ready for laundry when you board.)

2. Hit the bars and the sales tables right away to use up that OBC! Lots of good stuff at those sales. In fact, if you cruise soon, you might be able to snag one of the black-and-white gingham checked taffeta dresses. I saw them in Feb, and they're still on the sale racks. Don't miss your chance!!!

I suppose one thing that helps is that they deduct the tip/service charge for the voyage and the price of any pre-booked tours right at the beginning. That can eat into your OBC pretty well.
__________________
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
5 QM2 - 3 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia
1 Caronia - Baltic
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
5 HAL
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
Reply With Quote

  #26  
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:20 AM
mallorcasaint's Avatar
mallorcasaint mallorcasaint is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alcudia, Mallorca and Exeter,Devon
Posts: 472
Default

I don't think we'll have a problem spending our OBC. My last bar bill on QM2 was £4000!
__________________






QM2 - Sailed on April 2009
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old November 28th, 2012, 11:54 AM
hcrane hcrane is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 692
Default

Just got a call from Cunard Guest Relations (California, not UK). - He suggested we let Cunard-US know how annoyed we are with this change.

Evidently there are different rules for the UK and the US - one point he made was that purchased OBC in the US is refundable - in the UK it is not refundable. Not sure how this relates to the 20%

Back to the 20% - let them in California know that we are NOT HAPPY about this - (1-800-728-6273). We may be able to get this changed for those of us on this side of the pond.
Reply With Quote

  #28  
Old November 28th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Underwatr Underwatr is online now
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,248
Default

If you look upthread where I quoted from the Cunard website, the terms of the benefit are worded such that the situation applies only to non-refundable OBC. Or so we're allowed to think...
__________________


Past:
Queen Mary 2 (Caribbean Holiday) - December 2013
Carnival Pride (Bahamas) - October 2013
Queen Mary 2 (Caribbean Holiday) - December 2012
Caribbean Princess (Scandinavia) - July 2012
Queen Victoria (Hawaii) - February 2012
Queen Mary 2 (Eastbound Transatlantic Crossing) - October 2011
Queen Victoria (Panama Canal Transit) - March 2011
Queen Mary 2 (New England/Canada) - September 2010
Reply With Quote

  #29  
Old November 28th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Salacia Salacia is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 7,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGenCunarder View Post
There are two ways you can solve this.

1. Bring enough clothes to last until you've used up your OBC. (I realize that this is a problem if you've toured before the cruise and are ready for laundry when you board.)

2. Hit the bars and the sales tables right away to use up that OBC! Lots of good stuff at those sales. In fact, if you cruise soon, you might be able to snag one of the black-and-white gingham checked taffeta dresses. I saw them in Feb, and they're still on the sale racks. Don't miss your chance!!!

I suppose one thing that helps is that they deduct the tip/service charge for the voyage and the price of any pre-booked tours right at the beginning. That can eat into your OBC pretty well.
Hi 3rdGenCunarder. Thanks for those suggestions. I'll simply send 20% less items to the drycleaning/laundry service

I guess you missed the news about pre-booked tours: now you have to pay with credit card when booking. OBC can no longer be used for pre-booked tours. (My understanding is that if you book tours for your current voyage once on board, then OBC will be applied.)

Regarding the hotel and dining charge - in the past (most recently last January) that charge showed on my statement daily as one charge per person per day. I don't recall ever seeing the hotel & dining charged as one lump sum at the begining of the voyage, but I haven't taken a TransAtlantic - is that the way it's done on TA's? Regards, S.

Last edited by Salacia; November 28th, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #30  
Old November 28th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Salacia Salacia is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 7,162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorcasaint View Post
I don't think we'll have a problem spending our OBC. My last bar bill on QM2 was £4000!
Hope that wasn't a 4-night cruise
Reply With Quote

  #31  
Old November 28th, 2012, 12:34 PM
mallorcasaint's Avatar
mallorcasaint mallorcasaint is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alcudia, Mallorca and Exeter,Devon
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacia View Post
Hope that wasn't a 4-night cruise
Fortunately, no. It was 34 days.
__________________






QM2 - Sailed on April 2009
Reply With Quote

  #32  
Old November 28th, 2012, 12:48 PM
dancer11 dancer11 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 233
Default So many disembarkation problems

This reminds me of the most negative aspect about sailing on Cunard--disembarkations, and not just at the end of a cruise. You would think they'd plan and get it right, but I have experienced extremely long lines, with people walking right up from an opposite direction and exiting right away. There's never a Cunard person around to ensure things go well.
Oddly, it is when tenders are used that their disembarkation runs more smoothly. As people show up to the designated area, numbered cards are issued and then that group is led to the gangway. That's so more civilized.
Trust me, on a 94 day cruise, you are just sick of Cunard's total loss of control.
__________________
Dancer

Crystal: Baltic, June 1999
Crystal: Greece, Oct 2000
Crystal: Argentina, Chile, January 2001
Crystal: Alaska, August 2005
Crystal: Fall Foliage, Sept 2007
Crystal: Norway, June 2008
Queen Mary 2: Caribbean, January 2009
Crystal: Turkey, Croatia, Barcelona, Oct 2009
Indep of the Seas: Caribbean, January 2010
Crystal: Black Sea, August 2010
Queen Mary 2: World Cruise 2011
Uniworld: Rhine & Mosel, September 2012
Queen Victoria: Baltic, June 2013
Crystal: Panama Canal 16 day, May 2014
Reply With Quote

  #33  
Old November 28th, 2012, 01:32 PM
transatlantic fan transatlantic fan is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PORTSMOUTH
Posts: 624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGenCunarder View Post
WHAT???? That's outrageous!!! I understand that if they GIVE you the OBC, they can take that back as it's "their" money. But if you buy your OBC, or someone gives it to you as a gift, that is not "their" money, and they should not keep it.
You are so right, i had $180 left on the last evening and went to the pursers office to see about getting it back but was told that it has now changed, even if you buy the credit and dont spend it you will lose it.
It is now regarded the same as if Cunard give you it.
Good job i checked or i would have lost it, never again will i buy credit.
Reply With Quote

  #34  
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Jimsgirl Jimsgirl is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Pt Charlotte,FL USA
Posts: 4,134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithm View Post
There's always Crystal & a few other "formal" lines, but their prices are too stiff for my taste.
Unfortunately they are also too high for my budget, I loved Crystal when they had inside cabins on the Harmony, but now they only have outside balconey cabins. I am so dismayed that Cunard are sliding at a fast rate towards becoming just like Carnival.

Have a cruise booked on Reflections (Celebrity) for later in 2013 after my Cunard March trip, (yet another Panama Canal cruise), do so wish they would bring back the East/West TA's so I could do 14 days B2B once more.

I could shake Mr Shanks, he is incapable of understanding Cunard passengers do not want QM2 to forsake the "pond" , let QV and QE do the Med, keep the "true liner" where she belongs in the Atlantic.

Just my opinion of course
Reply With Quote

  #35  
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:21 PM
rafinmd's Avatar
rafinmd rafinmd is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Central Maryland
Posts: 9,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacia View Post
Hi 3rdGenCunarder. Thanks for those suggestions. I'll simply send 20% less items to the drycleaning/laundry service

I guess you missed the news about pre-booked tours: now you have to pay with credit card when booking. OBC can no longer be used for pre-booked tours. (My understanding is that if you book tours for your current voyage once on board, then OBC will be applied.)

Regarding the hotel and dining charge - in the past (most recently last January) that charge showed on my statement daily as one charge per person per day. I don't recall ever seeing the hotel & dining charged as one lump sum at the begining of the voyage, but I haven't taken a TransAtlantic - is that the way it's done on TA's? Regards, S.
It has been applied day by day on a TA. Can we tell the purser "Remove the auto gratuitiy", and then reinstate it as a lump sum?

Roy
__________________
Index to active Crystal Roll Calls
Limited View Cabins

Future cruises:


8/8/14 Radiance OTS Northbound Alaska >>>8/17/14 Statendam Southbound Alaska
10/28/14 QM2 EB Transatlantic >>> Wind Star WB Transatlantic
12/28/14 Ryndam Western Caribbean
5/4/15 Crystal Serenity EB Transatlantic >> 5/20/15 Prinsendam Kiel/Celtic Collectors
10/11/15 QM2 TA New York > Southampton >>> 10/22/15 Allure of the Seas Transatlantic from Rome
1/27/16 Crystal Symphony Buenos Aires-Antarctica-Miami
8/16/16 Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage
Reply With Quote

  #36  
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Jim Avery Jim Avery is online now
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valley of the Sun, Arizona
Posts: 4,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorcasaint View Post
I don't think we'll have a problem spending our OBC. My last bar bill on QM2 was £4000!
My Man!! Way to go! then I read 34 days. I was thinking more like a Transatlantic.
Reply With Quote

  #37  
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:55 PM
mallorcasaint's Avatar
mallorcasaint mallorcasaint is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alcudia, Mallorca and Exeter,Devon
Posts: 472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Avery View Post
My Man!! Way to go! then I read 34 days. I was thinking more like a Transatlantic.
I don't think even I have the capacity to drink that much in 7 days!
__________________






QM2 - Sailed on April 2009
Reply With Quote

  #38  
Old November 28th, 2012, 03:10 PM
balf balf is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGenCunarder View Post
Yes, too true. Sadly, the crew made no attempt at any method of control. A few people tried to jump the queue by pretending they didn't know where the end was. People politely, but firmly, told them where the end was. Two men jumped the queue right at the door of the Britannia restaurant and would not go. Several people told them where the end of the queue was and how unfair it was on the people who had been waiting for more than an hour, but they wouldn't listen. Several of us simply refused to let them wriggle in ahead of us, but they soon found someone who gave in. At least a fight didn't break out, which is a testimony to the good behavior of those of us who had been queueing for so long.
The really worrying aspect of your little horror story is what the situation would be in a real abandon ship situation. If they can't get passengers off the ship in a controlled situation it doesn't give you much confidence with the added stress and panic as seen in the Concordia disaster that it would go well.

David.

David.
Reply With Quote

  #39  
Old November 28th, 2012, 03:39 PM
3rdGenCunarder 3rdGenCunarder is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacia View Post
Hi 3rdGenCunarder. Thanks for those suggestions. I'll simply send 20% less items to the drycleaning/laundry service

I guess you missed the news about pre-booked tours: now you have to pay with credit card when booking. OBC can no longer be used for pre-booked tours. (My understanding is that if you book tours for your current voyage once on board, then OBC will be applied.)

Regarding the hotel and dining charge - in the past (most recently last January) that charge showed on my statement daily as one charge per person per day. I don't recall ever seeing the hotel & dining charged as one lump sum at the begining of the voyage, but I haven't taken a TransAtlantic - is that the way it's done on TA's? Regards, S.
Yes, I did miss the change in pre-booked tours. Last Feb, we pre-booked, but didn't pay in advance. HAL has made you pay in advance for a while now, so I'm not surprised Cunard has made that change. I can't remember for sure about our 22 days in Feb, but I thought the hotel charge was all done on the first day. I am sure that on this last TA, the whole $77 showed up as a charge on the first day.

The change in tour payment raises another question. If a tour is cancelled, do they credit your onboard account or does the money go back to the credit card you used to buy the tour?
__________________
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
5 QM2 - 3 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia
1 Caronia - Baltic
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
5 HAL
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
Reply With Quote

  #40  
Old November 28th, 2012, 03:41 PM
3rdGenCunarder 3rdGenCunarder is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balf View Post
The really worrying aspect of your little horror story is what the situation would be in a real abandon ship situation. If they can't get passengers off the ship in a controlled situation it doesn't give you much confidence with the added stress and panic as seen in the Concordia disaster that it would go well.

David.

David.
I have been trying VERY hard not to think about that.
__________________
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
5 QM2 - 3 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia
1 Caronia - Baltic
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
5 HAL
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.
Cookie ConsentCookie Policy