Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old October 29th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Ocean view vs. Balcony

We have always sailed balcony or mini, but were considering Ocean view as we do not spend a lot of time on the balcony, except some cruises where there is a lot of land viewing. How would you compare a balcony to OV?
Sapphire Princess 7/08 Whitter, AK to Vancouver
Caribbean Princess 9/09 Southern Caribbean
Ruby Princess 09/2009 Venice to Barcelona
Sapphire Princess 01/2010 Mexican Riveria
Caribbean Princess 10/2010 Eastern Caribbean
Island Princess 4/2011 Panama Canel
Sapphire Princess 10/2012 California Coastal
Future
Pacific Princess 10/9/2014 Tahiti

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 29th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsjr View Post
We have always sailed balcony or mini, but were considering Ocean view as we do not spend a lot of time on the balcony, except some cruises where there is a lot of land viewing. How would you compare a balcony to OV?
what itinerary? that would make a big difference in balocny use.

Old October 29th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree, one that would have a lot of viewing like Alaska, a balcony would be it, but Caribbean, I would say no. Being used to a balcony, would we be happy with OV. I know it is a matter of taste, but just looking for a second, third... thought.
Sapphire Princess 7/08 Whitter, AK to Vancouver
Caribbean Princess 9/09 Southern Caribbean
Ruby Princess 09/2009 Venice to Barcelona
Sapphire Princess 01/2010 Mexican Riveria
Caribbean Princess 10/2010 Eastern Caribbean
Island Princess 4/2011 Panama Canel
Sapphire Princess 10/2012 California Coastal
Future
Pacific Princess 10/9/2014 Tahiti

Old October 29th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier View Post
what itinerary? that would make a big difference in balocny use.
Exactly!

We love a balcony, but will most likely book an OV when we take a port intensive Mediterranean cruise. For only one sea day, I could manage without a balcony.
Carnival Valor December 2010
Carnival Victory January 2007
Norwegian Majesty September 2000

Old October 29th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think that question is very subjective. For me, I would be fine with an inside cabin or OV to save money that I could then use onboard or on another cruise. However, DW has been spoiled by the balconies and will not take anything less so we always get a balcony. I think once you have one it is hard to go back...

Old October 29th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't like crowds, so on sea days, most of my time is spent on my balcony.

Old October 29th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Gosh, I think it depends. For my first two cruises, I had interior staterooms, and didn't know any better. For my third, we had a balcony. We didn't spend a great deal of time out there, but sailing in to port, and for sailaway, we did enjoy it.

Then, we took our two Princess cruises, for which we had OV staterooms. Having the window was okay, because it provided enough natural light to wake us up in the morning. However, whenever I woke to see we were sailing into port, I had to get dressed, leave the stateroom and go up 9 decks to the lido deck (or higher for a better view) in order to video and otherwise properly "take in" how picturesque sailing in was. I missed going out onto the balcony in a robe and doing this. We also missed the occasional fresh air in the stateroom that an open balcony door provides (I've got two letters for you flamers).

So, if those sorts of things are important to you, you may want to consider keeping the balcony. If you've done a zillion cruises and taking in the views during sailaway and arrival are no big deal to you, an oceanview may be fine. I suggest you start taking zinc a week before your sailing to build up your immunity a bit, as without the balcony you're forced to breath the recirculated air.

Good luck choosing.

Rob

Old October 29th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worn out mailman View Post
However, whenever I woke to see we were sailing into port, I had to get dressed, leave the stateroom and go up 9 decks to the lido deck (or higher for a better view) in order to video and otherwise properly "take in" how picturesque sailing in was. I missed going out onto the balcony in a robe and doing this.
Since money is a fairly important consideration for me, I can live with with putting on my pants and taking an elevator if it means saving 35-50% on a sailing.

And while I don't want to discourage anyone from giving Princess more money - thereby buoying up my CCL stock - I would say that on my Most Scenic Sea Days (Glacier Bay, Canal transit, sailaway under the Golden Gate Bridge, etc.) I relished the freedom of moving around the decks for better and/or more varied views rather than being stuck in one spot. But that's just me: YMMV.

And just to nit-pick...you don't have to go all the way up to Lido deck. Just about any spot on the Promenade deck has more expansive views than your balcony. Actually, on most Princess ships, if you were 9 decks below Lido you'd be in the medical center, presumably with bigger things on your mind than taking videos.
1/06 Westerdam -W. Caribbean * 1/07 Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera * 1/08 Zuiderdam - E. Caribbean * 4/08 Celebrity Mercury - Alaska * 12/09 Crown Princess - W. Caribbean * 8/10 Sea Princess - Alaska * 1/11 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 4/11 Island Princess - Panama full transit * 8/11 Sea Princess - Alaska * 2/12 Grand Princess - E. Caribbean * 4/12 Coral Princess - Panama full transit * 12/12 Star Princess - SFO to Buenos Aires * 4/13 Golden Princess - Hawaii * 10/13 Royal Princess - Venice to FLL * 2/14 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 8/14 Star Princess - Alaska * 7/15 Diamond Princess - Japan

Last edited by shepp; October 29th, 2012 at 03:44 PM.

Old October 29th, 2012, 03:46 PM
20,000+ Club

Not sure if the OP is asking about the room itself or the opportunity to go outside on a balcony.

As far as the room itself, it will be the same size inside whether you have a balcony or an oceanview.

Old October 29th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

It was Murphys Law that every time we splurged on a balcony we were always downwind from a heavy smoker...so we went to ocean view cabins or inside and found out that we didnt mind them at all. I compare the price, the number of days at sea versus in port, etc. but now especially that Princess doesnt allow smoking on balconies any more, I might be tempted again!

Upcoming: Hal Prinsendam, Amsterdam to Barcelona, Sept. 2014

Freedom of the Seas, W. Carib, March, 2014, HAL Eurodam, W. Carib. Nov., 2013, Royal Princess Grand Med., July, 2013, Emerald Princess, Caribbean, Jan. 2013, Sapphire Princess, California Coastal, Oct. 2012, Enchantment of the Seas-Bermuda, Aug. 2012, Freedom of the Seas-Caribbean, May, 2012, Star Princess, S. Caribbean Mar., 2011, Ocean Princess-Greek Isles/Med-Sept., 2010, Crown Princess-W. Carib. March, 2010, Island Princess-Panama Canal, Nov. 2009, Emerald Princess S. Caribbean, Jan. 2009, Coral Princess-Alaska Cruisetour-June, 2008, Emerald Princess-S. Caribbean- Jan., 2008, Mariner of the Seas-E. Caribbean-January, 2007, Golden Princess-Med/Greek Isles-October, 2006, Star Princess-W. Caribbean-January, 2006, Golden Princess-W. Europe/British Isles-June, 2005, HAL Zuiderdam-E. Caribbean-Dec. 2003, HAL Volendam-W. Caribbean-Dec. 2002. Silversea-Silver Whisper-Mediterranean-May, 2002, Grand Princess-W. Caribbean-Oct. 2001, Sea Princess-W. Caribbean-Feb, 2000, Carnival Destiny-Canada/New England-June, 2000, HAL Maasdam-Baltic/Russia-July, 2000, Grand Princess-Grand Med.-June, 1999 and others...celebrating over 30 years of cruising!

Old October 29th, 2012, 05:29 PM
5,000+ Club

Default My very personal view

Quote:
Feel it is much healthier to have a little fresh air in ones cabin.
They always tell us the Air Conditioning is kept very clean but honestly how do we know? With all the coughs and colds I have experienced around me on a cruise which I seem to catch ,probably due to a large number of bodies being confined to a ship, a balcony would be my choice every time.

Last edited by kruisey; October 29th, 2012 at 05:30 PM.

Old October 29th, 2012, 05:55 PM
5,000+ Club

After ten cruises in a balcony/mini, we did two cruises in a Window Suite and one cruise in an Oceanview. We had the Window Suites for two Inside Passage cruises in Alaska and the views from the windows were some of the best on the ship. Although a WS is an oceanview cabin, it is nothing like a true Ocenview cabin. The Princess Oceanview cabins, at least on the Coral, are a different arrangement than balcony cabins and the layout could best be described as "efficient". There is the standard desk chair, arm chair and small round table, but there was no room to walk around the table and we moved it to the closet. You had to move the arm chair to open the mini-fridge. The bed was against the window and the mirror was on the opposite side. You could lay in bed and look out the reflection of the window in the mirror so that was nice.

After that cruise, we booked a Guarantee cabin for a full transit Panama Canal cruise on the Island in the lowest category Obstructed Oceanview. We will use part of the savings to book the Sanctuary for the duration of the cruise.

We will still book balconies on many future cruises but we will now consider an Oceanview cabin on occasion.
Upcoming Cruises: 09/14 - Regal Princess - Grand Med (Our Anniversary in Venice), 10/14 - Crown Princess - CA Coastal (DSIL's Retirement Cruise), 03/15 - Golden Princess - Valparaiso to LA, 12/15 - Pacific Princess - 50th Anniversary Mexican Riviera
Past Cruises: 03/14 - Grand Princess - 10 Day Mexico from SF,
01/14 - Sapphire Princess - 4 Day Coastal w/Catalina, 06/13 - Emerald Princess - Baltic, 01/13 - Island Princess - Panama Canal, 09/12 - Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal, 09/12 - Golden Princess - Inside Passage (B2B Glacier Bay & Tracy Arm), 09/11 - Sapphire Princess - California Coastal, 04/11 - Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera, 08/10 - Coral Princess - Voyage of the Glaciers, 03/10 - Star Princess - Valparaiso to Buenos Aires (The Shortened Post Earthquake Cruise), 02/10 - Star Princess - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso around Cape Horn (the Chilean Earthquake Cruise), 10/09 - Golden Princess - Hawaii, 11/07 - Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera, 02/07 - Grand Princess - Western Caribbean from Galveston, 04/06 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal RT from FLL, 10/04 - Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean Explorer from San Juan, 05/02 - Carnival Fantasy - Bahamas (3 Night)

Old October 29th, 2012, 06:10 PM
5,000+ Club

Coming into port is important to me... just love getting up early and seeing this, even though I've seen most ports I've been to many, many times. It's still mesmerizing. BUT... I don't wake up pretty, and can't get past the idea of 'looking' normal when I go upside. So... I pay extra for the balcony, just so I can relax in the am before meeting all y'all !!

Old October 29th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Only one balcony in 20 cruises..that was a waste, we spent maybe 20 minutes tops on the balcony on a 7 day cruise......we love being on deck and in the bars and not in our room...so never again a balcony, but a window is great with us, so we can see the weather.
3-HAL
3-NCL
1-Celebrity
3-Other

Old October 30th, 2012, 08:33 AM
5,000+ Club

No balcony!
How do you dry your snorkel gear????
2000 Mercury W. Caribbean
2000 Volendam S. Caribbean
2001 Viking Star Danube River
2001 Veendam E. Caribbean
2002 Veendam B2B Alaska
2003 Zuiderdam B2B W/E Caribbean
2004 Maasdam E. Caribbean
2005 Grand Princess W. Caribbean,
2005 RVI Europe
2005 Veendam S. Caribbean
2006 Grand Princess W. Caribbean
2007 Grand Princess W. Caribbean
2008 Crown Princess S. Caribbean
2008 Sea Princess Canada/New England
2009 Maasdam S. Caribbean
2009 Crown Princess British Isles
2010 Grand Princess S. Caribbean
2010 Carnival Conquest W. Caribbean
2010 Crown Princess W. Caribbean
2011 Maasdam S. Caribbean
2011 Emerald Princess B2B E/S Caribbean
2012 Carnival Magic W. Caribbean
2013 Crown Princess W. Caribbean
2014 Caribbean Princess W. Caribbean January 11
2014 Caribbean Princess W. Caribbean April 19

Old October 30th, 2012, 10:07 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesan View Post
No balcony!
How do you dry your snorkel gear????
In the shower stall but it is usually dry by the time we get back to our cabin.

Pass Cruises
Festival's Bolero Dec98 E Car*Blackbeard's Pirate Lady Jan99 Bahamas*Sun's Carousel (Nordic Prince)Feb99 S.Car*Sun's Sunbird (Song of America)Sept99-W Med*Sun's Sundream (Song of Norway)Jan00 PC* Sea Pr June00-Alaska* Sun's Sundream (Song of Norway)Feb01 W Car* Grand PrFeb02 W.Car* Empress of the Seas July 02 Bermuda*Star Pr Feb03 Mex Riv* Enchantment of the Seas Mar03 E.Carib*Sun's Sunbird (Song of America)June03 W Med*Sun's Sunbird (Song of America)Jan04-S Car* Voyager of the Seas June 04 Canada* Sun's Sunbird (Song of America) Aug 04 W Med*Maasdam Mar05 S.Car* Costa's Mediterranea Apr06 E Car* Regal Princess Nov 06 PC* Serenade of the Seas Feb.07-S Car*Adventure of the Seas Mar07 S Car*Radiance of the Seas Sept07 Alaska &West Coast* Legend of the Seas Nov07- E Med*Radiance of the Seas May08Hawaii* X Century Dec08 West TA*Radiance of the Seas Apr-May09 Chile to San Diego*X Mercury Nov09 E.Caribbean*Radiance of the Seas Feb10 Mex. Riv*Grand Princess Apr10 East TA*X Summit Nov10 S. Car*X Summit Dec10 S Car*Golden Pr Feb11 Hawaii*X Constellation S. Car Mar11 Car*Emerald Pr Nov-Dec11 S Car*X Silhouette Jan12 E Car*X Century Mar/Apr 12Hawaii*Caribbean Pr Apr12 East TA*Caribbean Pr May12 British Isles*X Eclipse Dec12 S Car*Voyager of the Seas Feb/Mar13 Oz/NZ*X Century Nov/Dec13 Hawaii*Ruby Pr Feb14 W Car*X Century Feb14 E Car*Serenade of the Seas Apr/May14 East TA*

Old October 30th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

I think this is something everyone has to decide for themselves.What is important to you. What is important to one person is not to another.There is no right or wrong cabin only personal wants/needs.My husband loves an oceanview.I do not care as long as I am on a cruise.We have friends who love balconies.Have a great cruise.

Old October 30th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are one of those families who started with an inside, then snagged a not too pricey oceanview, then tried a balcony... now there is almost no going back, at least not for DH. He loves sitting out on the balcony reading, even on port days, since frankly he'd rather be there than socializing in the clubs or going to a show (not that he won't accompany me if I want to go, but he does love hanging out on the balcony). If you have someone in your party that likes to take a break from the crowds and would enjoy the balcony, that might be the solution for you. If it made the difference between a cruise and no cruise, however, I'd have no problem putting us back in an inside!

Old October 30th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default balcony

Quote:
We've used both balcony and ocean views, starting back in the last century with an ocean view. The only time we've ever not really used the balcony was on a port intensive Mediterranean cruise where we had a minisuite with an open balcony. It was just too hot when we wanted to use it in late afternoon.

We love the balcony for sailaways, relaxed reading, naps, or just wave watching, breakfast on the balcony, late night stargazing on the balcony, and just plain privacy it offers for those 1:1 conversations over a shared drink.

We've shared some magical moments on the balcony when sighting flying fish in the Caribbean and Med, whales in Alaska, otters in Alaska, and even a dolphin who accompanied our ship into port at Oahu. I wouldn't trade those moments for anything.

We've had some issues with the reconditioned air in an oceanview and are now under ship's Doctor's orders to sail in balcony cabins so we can open the door and get fresh air into our cabin each day. (We do not sleep with door open - for safety's sake). I can live with that .

Whatever you choose, happy sailing !

Last edited by Times Prince; October 30th, 2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: page posted while entering title

Old October 30th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I absolutely love to have a balcony, but I gladly give it up every once in a while so that I can be able to book an extra cruise during the year.

If the price is right, I book a balcony. If I save a bundle with an inside or ocean view, I take the extra money and book an additional cruise.

Celebration, 1998
Carnival Destiny, 1999
Carnival Destiny, 2000
RCCL Serenade of the Seas, 2004
Crown Princess, 2007
Carnival Fantasy, 2008
Ruby Princess, 2008
Carnival Sensation (Abbie), 2009
Carnival Fantasy, 2009
Caribbean Princess, 2009
Carnival Triumph, 2010
Emerald Princess, 2010