Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old October 11th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Kindle Fire HD on EOS

I've always taken my laptop to check email on our cruises. I just got the new Kindle Fire HD today and I'm thinking of taking that, instead of my laptop, on the EOS next week. I know there's computers onboard, but I find it easier to use my own computer.

Any problems with this device? My dh would have a lighter load to carry on his back if I didn't drag the laptop along!

Old October 11th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by karinad View Post
I've always taken my laptop to check email on our cruises. I just got the new Kindle Fire HD today and I'm thinking of taking that, instead of my laptop, on the EOS next week. I know there's computers onboard, but I find it easier to use my own computer.

Any problems with this device? My dh would have a lighter load to carry on his back if I didn't drag the laptop along!
I use my Kindle Fire on RCL cruise ships. You set up an account at the RCL computer stations using your SetSail pass. Instructions are provided there. If you get C&A coupons for free service. Go to Guest Relations first to have them enable them in the system. Bon Voyage!

Cunard-White Star MV Georgic July 1951 Southampton - NYC; family from Fife to America; Song of America May '96, '97 & '98 Bermuda; Nordic Empress May '99, Jun '01 Bermuda; Sovereign of the Seas May & Nov '00, Apr & Nov '01, Oct '03, May '04, Nov '05, Jun '07, Mar '08 The Bahamas; Monarch of the Seas Jan '03 Central Caribbean, Apr, Jun, Nov '09 B2B, Apr, Sep, Nov, Dec '10, Apr, Sep '11, Jan, May, Jun, Sep (x2), Oct '12 The Bahamas; Mar/Apr '13, Farewell Week Cruises; Celebrity Horizon Oct '04, Bermuda; Mariner of the Seas May & Oct '08 E. & W. Caribbean; Freedom of the Seas Oct '09 E. Caribbean, May '11, April '12, Dec '13; Jewel of the Seas Jan '10 & Jan '11 Ultimate Caribbean, Nov and Dec '11; Feb/Mar '12 Western Caribbean; Celebrity Equinox Feb '12, 10 night; Dec '12, 11 night - Ultimate Caribbean; Enchantment of the Seas Apr/May, Jul, Sep, Oct/Nov, Dec '13, Mar/Apr '14 - The Bahamas; Brilliance of the Seas Feb '14 Western Caribbean, B2B; Celebrity Constellation Apr '14, Western Caribbean; Vision of the Seas May '14, Western Caribbean; Aug '14, Bermuda and The Bahamas
Most Recent: Freedom Of The Seas, Sep/Oct '14 W. Caribbean

FUTURE:

Old October 12th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty G View Post
I use my Kindle Fire on RCL cruise ships. You set up an account at the RCL computer stations using your SetSail pass. Instructions are provided there. If you get C&A coupons for free service. Go to Guest Relations first to have them enable them in the system. Bon Voyage!
Thanks! Hopefully, it'll be as fast as my 6 yr. old laptop! I had no problem with the speed on the EOS last yr.

Old October 12th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks! Hopefully, it'll be as fast as my 6 yr. old laptop! I had no problem with the speed on the EOS last yr.
Mine was very fast. Also meant Sea Pass Card before. Duh!!!

Cunard-White Star MV Georgic July 1951 Southampton - NYC; family from Fife to America; Song of America May '96, '97 & '98 Bermuda; Nordic Empress May '99, Jun '01 Bermuda; Sovereign of the Seas May & Nov '00, Apr & Nov '01, Oct '03, May '04, Nov '05, Jun '07, Mar '08 The Bahamas; Monarch of the Seas Jan '03 Central Caribbean, Apr, Jun, Nov '09 B2B, Apr, Sep, Nov, Dec '10, Apr, Sep '11, Jan, May, Jun, Sep (x2), Oct '12 The Bahamas; Mar/Apr '13, Farewell Week Cruises; Celebrity Horizon Oct '04, Bermuda; Mariner of the Seas May & Oct '08 E. & W. Caribbean; Freedom of the Seas Oct '09 E. Caribbean, May '11, April '12, Dec '13; Jewel of the Seas Jan '10 & Jan '11 Ultimate Caribbean, Nov and Dec '11; Feb/Mar '12 Western Caribbean; Celebrity Equinox Feb '12, 10 night; Dec '12, 11 night - Ultimate Caribbean; Enchantment of the Seas Apr/May, Jul, Sep, Oct/Nov, Dec '13, Mar/Apr '14 - The Bahamas; Brilliance of the Seas Feb '14 Western Caribbean, B2B; Celebrity Constellation Apr '14, Western Caribbean; Vision of the Seas May '14, Western Caribbean; Aug '14, Bermuda and The Bahamas

FUTURE:

Old October 12th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I used my Kindle Fire to check and send emails when I was in Mexico and Italy earlier this year. I haven't used it on a cruise because I didn't want to pay for Wifi. No problems but the keypad is a lot smaller than it is on a laptop so it took a while to type out messages. You might want to get one of those little pointers, if you have problems with your fingers hitting the wrong letters.

Also, the battery doesn't last very long so be sure to bring your charger.
Past Cruises: Carnival Sensation 2014 * RC Majesty of the Seas 2014 Review * Carnival Victory 2014 Review * RC Enchantment of the Seas 2013 Review * Carnival Paradise 2013 Review * Celebrity Constellation 2013 * RC Jewel of the Seas 2012 Review * RC Monarch of the Seas 2012 Review, 2011, 2010 * NCL Sky 2011, 2010 * Celebrity Century 2010, 2003 * Carnival Inspiration 2009, 2006 * Carnival Splendor 2008 * NCL Jewel 2007 * Costa Mediterranea 2006 * Carnival Sensation 2000 * Holland America Veendam 1998 * Carnival Celebration 1997 * RC Sovereign of the Seas 1996 * Carnival Tropicale 1995 * Celebrity Zenith 1994 * NCL Seaward 1993 * RC Nordic Empress 1992 * Carnival Fantasy 1991

My Travel Blog: Sweet Escapes

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 12th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Need lots of help

I would love to have a kindle please explaine to a computer dummy the following:
How did you email from Italy and Mexico?
Do you have to have a server?
Are you using wifi at McDonalds?
How many hours does a battery charge last.

Old October 13th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollux View Post
I would love to have a kindle please explaine to a computer dummy the following:
My internet provider has a website for checking my email. I just went to the internet and logged into my account.

No, you don't have to have a server.

I used the WiFi at my hotels. If a hotel has WiFi, they will give you a password to log in.

The Kindle Fire battery lasts about 8 hours. The battery gets used up faster if you are using WiFi, watching movies or playing games than it does if you are just reading a book.
I love my Kindle Fire but I do want to warn people that you really can't use it outdoors. The screen is not bright enough and there is too much glare. If you're wanting to read by the pool or beach, bring a paperback!
Past Cruises: Carnival Sensation 2014 * RC Majesty of the Seas 2014 Review * Carnival Victory 2014 Review * RC Enchantment of the Seas 2013 Review * Carnival Paradise 2013 Review * Celebrity Constellation 2013 * RC Jewel of the Seas 2012 Review * RC Monarch of the Seas 2012 Review, 2011, 2010 * NCL Sky 2011, 2010 * Celebrity Century 2010, 2003 * Carnival Inspiration 2009, 2006 * Carnival Splendor 2008 * NCL Jewel 2007 * Costa Mediterranea 2006 * Carnival Sensation 2000 * Holland America Veendam 1998 * Carnival Celebration 1997 * RC Sovereign of the Seas 1996 * Carnival Tropicale 1995 * Celebrity Zenith 1994 * NCL Seaward 1993 * RC Nordic Empress 1992 * Carnival Fantasy 1991

My Travel Blog: Sweet Escapes

Last edited by CruisinCrow; October 13th, 2012 at 08:14 AM.

Old October 13th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
1: same way you email from home. go to the log in page and have at it

2: everyone needs a server. you will automatically connect tot he correct one for your email account.

3: not necessarily. you can get wifi almost anywhere( there are even apps you can download to your Kindle or smartphone to find them locally)

4: depends on what you are using it for. I have the 1st gen Kindle Fire and if I am just reading, it lasts.. maybe 10-15 hours. if I have WiFi or am playing games regularly.. about half that.

Old October 13th, 2012, 08:41 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
On Oasis and Allure (maybe others) you can set up your account using your cabin TV
Sensation - Sept 96
Grandeur - Sept 97
Inspiration - Sept 98
Enchantment - Oct 99
Grandeur - Sept 00
Explorer - March 01
Grand - Sept 01...............Review
Victory - Sept 02.............Review
Navigator - March 03.......Review
Adventure - Sept 03........Review
Voyager - Sept 04...........Review
Radiance - Feb 05...........Review
Voyager - Sept 05...........Review
Mariner - Jan 06..............Review
Explorer - Sept 06...........Review
RCL Liberty - Sept 07......Review
Carib Princess - Feb 08....Review
Explorer - Oct 08............Review
Solstice - March 09.........Review
RCL Liberty - Sept 09......Review
Explorer - Jan 10............Review
Oasis - Oct 10................Review
Explorer - Feb 11............Review
Carnival Valor - Sept 11...Review
Carnival Legend - Feb 12..Review
Allure - Sept 12................Review
Carnival Freedom - Feb 13.Review
Carnival Liberty - Sept 13..Review
Independence - Feb 14.....Review
Explorer - Sept 25th...............
Independence - Feb 15...........
Oasis - September 15..............

Old October 13th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks everyone for your information.
I would only use it when I am away from home for email.
So I put a Kindle on my xmas wish list.
Also use the computer on the ship and in port I find a Stoe usually the crew know where to go email cheap.

Old October 13th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Believe me, you are not alone with being a computer dummy! I started using a computer in 2006 for email and shopping a little. I'm not much further today. I do pay bills and know my way around some, but I don't know how to fix it if something went wrong.

Don't be afraid to ask someone for help while onboard. There isn't always someone in the Computer Room. A couple times I asked a fellow passenger If they weren't online.

Also, if you're looking for a Kindle, all are different. My son first got me just the Kindle Reader. I will continue to use that for reading, and will still take it along on our cruise. The Kindle Fire, I basically purchased it to check email, and I think all the books I bought on my Kindle are linked to The Fire. I'm still amazed by all the technology! I'm 57, so didn't grow up or into it! We were lucky if there was one electric typewriter in highschool!

Old October 13th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinCrow View Post
I love my Kindle Fire but I do want to warn people that you really can't use it outdoors. The screen is not bright enough and there is too much glare. If you're wanting to read by the pool or beach, bring a paperback!
That is why I carry my original Kindle (ereader) and my Kindle Fire.

FUTURE:

Old October 13th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
That is why I carry my original Kindle (ereader) and my Kindle Fire.
Scotty, if u don't mind me asking, did u get a case for your Fire? It seems to be challenging to "wake" it. Some of the cases say that they wake it and put it to sleep.

Old October 13th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Scotty, if u don't mind me asking, did u get a case for your Fire? It seems to be challenging to "wake" it. Some of the cases say that they wake it and put it to sleep.
Sorry, I did not get one. The original Fire I have uses the on - off button to put it to sleep or turn it on/off. Perhaps the new versions use a magnetic interface or Bluetooth to do this?

FUTURE:

Old October 13th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Sorry, I did not get one. The original Fire I have uses the on - off button to put it to sleep or turn it on/off. Perhaps the new versions use a magnetic interface or Bluetooth to do this?
I think I read somewhere about magnetic. This has a button, that you could barely feel or see, even up close. It's a pain to have to look for it all the time! There's no indicator or marker. I guess it will take awhile to get to know it. I did just order a cover that will wake it when opening. It has a stylus with it, although, I don't find touching the screen with my finger hard (I have tiny fingers). I do love my original Kindle. I have the leather jacket with the light that pulls up. Very neat!