Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old September 10th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Accessible Caribbean Shore Excursions

I'll be on the Norwegian Sun to the Southern Caribbean in October. I'm paralyzed from shoulders down and stay in my power wheelchair. Anybody know of specific shore excursions that could accommodate my special needs (i.e. van with ramp or lift, access to beach wheelchairs, no stairs to climb)? I'd love to hear about your previous experiences (especially if they are positive!)

Old September 10th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

I can only tell you that the cruise line won't offer anything for you. Handicapped transportation at the ports will be your biggest hurdle. Some Islands have a few privately owned vans but they are expensive. Your best bet is to search the web now for transportation. If you can get mobile anythings possible. Your best bet for a beach chair would be one of the nicer resorts......if you can get there. I've found that it's just not worth the hassle & normally just stay on board.

Good Luck

I hope that somebody can give you some good leads.
08 Majesty
09 Pride
11 Glory
11 Fantasy
11 Pride
12 Fantasy

Old September 10th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Which islands are you going to?

My husband and I usually sail with Royal Caribbean and have been on several accessable tours. Let us know what ports and we might be able to suggest some things you might be able to do.

Old September 11th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

I believe that (at least) trying to find or arrange for access is always worth the effort! We are going to St. Thomas; Roseau, Dominica; Bridgetown, Barbados; Castries, St. Lucia; and Phillipsburg, St. Maarten. I found an accessible tour on St. Thomas. All info is greatly appreciated.

Old September 12th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

We did the accessable tour of St. Thomas through Royal. The vehicles used were small vans with a ramp to drive the wheelchair into the van. There was room for 2 chairs at the very back of the van. We stopped at all the popular scenic viewing spots. Some spots you can see without getting out of the van. Other spots they spend some time at so everyone got out of the van.

It was a nice tour, the island is beautiful and plenty of time to learn the history of the island.

If you are docking in Heavensight there is a butterfly farm and shopping easy to get to with your wheelchair.

I need to look at what we did at some of the other islands.

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 13th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelchairWanderlust View Post
I'll be on the Norwegian Sun to the Southern Caribbean in October. I'm paralyzed from shoulders down and stay in my power wheelchair. Anybody know of specific shore excursions that could accommodate my special needs (i.e. van with ramp or lift, access to beach wheelchairs, no stairs to climb)? I'd love to hear about your previous experiences (especially if they are positive!)

We just booked this tour for our December cruise to St. Maarten. Sorry I can't tell you any info since we haven't gone yet.

http://www.shoreadventures.com/excursions.aspx?id=513

Old September 20th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default wheelchair friendly excursions in Montego Bay

I use a foldable chair and can walk some, just not real long distances I can also take stairs, does anyone know of fun excursions at this port that will accomodate my wheelchair.

Old September 20th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Try Joseph Cares in Curacao. info@josephcares.com is his email

Dan's Taxi Service in Barbados danblack@cw.blackberry.net is his email.

I can't find cards for others, but we have done St Marteen ( goes to both sides ), St Kitts, and St Thomas.

I just type in handicap transportation or Handicap tours in what ever port we are going to. Handicap transportation is getting more common,k but still not everywhere. We do not go to beaches much, so don't know about beach wheelchairs.

Good Luck, Have fun, Keep rolling on!!!!!

Carnival Celebration
Carnival Elation
Carnival Magic

Rhapsody of the seas
Mariner of the seas
Splendour of the seas
Splendour of the seas
Voyager of the seas
Radiance of the seas
Radiance of the seas (B2B)
Navigator of the seas 3-2-13
Freedom of the seas 7/14/13
Serenade of the seas 1/11/14
Grandeur of the seas 2/18/14

Ruby Princess
Grand Princess
Caribbean Princess 11/16/13

Celebrity Eclipse (April 2012)
Celebrity Eclipse (November 2012)

UpComming

Navigator of the Seas 4/26/15 (Birthday Cruise)

Others as time and abilitys allow

Old September 26th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Harrison Caves in Barbados are accessible if you make arrangements ahead of time with them(roll onto train-like vehicle that goes through caves). It is expensive, both getting there and admission, but i/m/o -- worth the thrill. Vicki

Old November 25th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Great tour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeley View Post
We just booked this tour for our December cruise to St. Maarten. Sorry I can't tell you any info since we haven't gone yet.

Thank you, Rangeley. I followed the link and booked this tour. Although it was a bit expensive since there were only three of us, it was well worth it. We had a very friendly and informative tour guide named Marlin. He was easy to understand and allowed us to get off in town at the end so that we could grab a bite to eat and do some shopping before returning to the cruiseship. My only negative comment would be that the website indicated that they accepted credit cards, but at the end of our tour they insisted on cash because it was Sunday. I had to make a special trip to the ATM and pay exchange fees and ATM charges that I hadn't expected. I hope you enjoy your cruise and this tour as much as we did.

Last edited by WheelchairWanderlust; November 25th, 2012 at 12:32 AM. Reason: double posted

Old November 25th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Great tour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangeley View Post

Thank you, Rangeley. I followed the link and booked this tour. Although it was a bit expensive since there were only three of us, it was well worth it. We had a very friendly and informative tour guide named Marlin. He was easy to understand and allowed us to get off in town at the end so that we could grab a bite to eat and do some shopping before returning to the cruiseship. My only negative comment would be that the website indicated that they accepted credit cards, but at the end of our tour they insisted on cash because it was Sunday. I had to make a special trip to the ATM and pay exchange fees and ATM charges that I hadn't expected. I hope you enjoy your cruise and this tour as much as we did.

Old November 25th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Old November 25th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelchairWanderlust View Post
Great to hear!! We will be there in 2 weeks. We will make sure we have cash for the payment. We are lucky that we have 7 people (and a service dog) going with us so the cost will be lower.