Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Other Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old September 8th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Cruise Critic Host & UK Ambassador

Basically Discovery is replacing Ocean Countess, with ll that that entails. I would imagine that VOD might look for another ship though?

Cruise Photos: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sharonp40 & http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharonsshiptravels/
Blog: http://sharonp-shipsinmylife.blogspot.com/

Ships sailed on:
Vistafjord, Caronia, QE2, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth Maiden Voyage, Aurora, Arcadia, Oriana, Oceana, Artemis, Ventura, Balmoral, Adonia, Discovery, Royal Princess (2013 ship), Nautica
Also Rhine and Dutch river cruises

Ships visited:
Independence of the Seas, Azura, Artania, Prinsendam, Maasdam, Crystal Symphony, Saga Sapphire, Saga Pearl II

To come:
Oriana - Northern Lights 2014
Adonia - Iberia and N Africa 2014
Queen Victoria 175 voyage May 2015

>

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Sharon View Post
Basically Discovery is replacing Ocean Countess, with ll that that entails. I would imagine that VOD might look for another ship though?
Sounds like they're overextended-- they've never had two ships in service simultaneously.

What's really outrageous is that CMV announces this and VOD says nothing...

Old September 12th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were booked on the Ocean Countess next June, we have now had a letter cancelling our cruise, they did offer 3 other cruises but they were going to a different place from a different dock on a different date.

We chose to get our money back, considering this was going to be our first cruise celebrating my 60th birthday it's very disapointing.

Old September 25th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were booked on Discovery and had our cruise cancelled too. The replacements did not sail to the same ports and the prices were higher. I understand your disappointment.

Old September 28th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

We have never sailed on Discovery before but may do next summer. Can I just ask those who have been regular passengers on her - what difference is there in the Guest Speakers that used to be on her when she was a VOD ship & those that may be on her next summer (and also those on P & O which we have recently sailed on)?

Old September 30th, 2012, 11:52 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler5010 View Post
We have never sailed on Discovery before but may do next summer. Can I just ask those who have been regular passengers on her - what difference is there in the Guest Speakers that used to be on her when she was a VOD ship & those that may be on her next summer (and also those on P & O which we have recently sailed on)?
Hard to know what guest speakers she will have but the announcement about her new owners sounds like they are going more for entertainment than in depth intellectual stimulation.

Many of the talks were clearly British or UK/Commonwealth oriented, but that was part of the stimulation for us Americans to draw on all our Euro and world history lesson backgrounds. We loved all of them and much of what we learned on our two long cruises still resonate with us. And for some reason we keep going back to those former countries in the Empire. And continue to get our fix of things British from Downton Abbey, and not Gosford Park.

Old October 13th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardofan View Post
Sounds like they're overextended-- they've never had two ships in service simultaneously.

What's really outrageous is that CMV announces this and VOD says nothing...
I'm booked on the MV DISCOVERY 9/25/13. I contacted VOD and they were less then helpful telling me my fare was going to go up and or my reservation may be cancelled.
I then contacted CMV they were very helpful and guaranteed me my reservation still existed and the fare would not be altered.

Old November 16th, 2012, 09:44 AM
10,000+ Club

I never sailed on Discovery, so I cannot add to the general mourning. However, I'm considering booking a cruise on the Voyager. Can anyone point me to more info on this ship? I understand she has been newly refurbished.

I've sailed with Voyages to Antiquity twice and most recently Swan Hellenic, so I'm familiar with the general model. Just looking for info mainly on the new ship.

Old November 18th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemom42 View Post
I never sailed on Discovery, so I cannot add to the general mourning. However, I'm considering booking a cruise on the Voyager. Can anyone point me to more info on this ship? I understand she has been newly refurbished.

I've sailed with Voyages to Antiquity twice and most recently Swan Hellenic, so I'm familiar with the general model. Just looking for info mainly on the new ship.
There isn't much really, it is in the final phase of the refit at the moment, for launch beginning of December. I am going to visit December 1 in Portsmouth, UK, so hope to get some photos then.

I have seen the ship up close once (while on Discovery in 2010) she is smaller holding around 550 passengers. The best site probably to check facilities are below, but still lacks a bit of info.

http://www.voyagesofdiscovery.co.uk/...id=897&type=32
http://www.voyagesofdiscovery.co.uk/...hp?ship_id=897

Old November 18th, 2012, 02:38 PM
10,000+ Club

It sounds like they plan to incorporate some of the features I've enjoyed on Swan Hellenic and Voyages to Antiquity, e.g., open dining, a more casual dining option (Verandah), etc. That should be nice. One of the things I liked less about Discovery in the past was fixed seating.

Old November 19th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
One of the things I liked less about Discovery in the past was fixed seating.
Haha and I prefer it this way

Old March 2nd, 2013, 07:45 AM
10,000+ Club

It looks like the refurbishment and inaugural cruise of the Discovery has run into a snag.

I wonder what the issue is that's keeping them from sailing? Did they fail an inspection? Or just not finish enough of the refurb to allow passenger safety?

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/

Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
It looks like the refurbishment and inaugural cruise of the Discovery has run into a snag.

I wonder what the issue is that's keeping them from sailing? Did they fail an inspection? Or just not finish enough of the refurb to allow passenger safety?

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/captain-greybeard/

Well, I just picked up my mother and her friend from Avonmouth (NOT a cruise terminal by any stretch of the imagination - in fact, it's the fresh produce terminal, but you can use the staff toilets in the office!)

Given that there was no information given out on board, it's a bit of a poor show, but the reason for the cancellation seems to be that the MCA refused a marine certificate due to safety reasons. The muster drill was cancelled just before it was due to begin and some passengers were told that there was a problem with the lifeboats and that because the staff could not speak fluent English, there were communications issues during the first drill. My mother said the cabin was actually OK and had no problems with the water supply, but other people were saying that lots of stuff had been left unfinished after the overrunning refit.

Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think Cruise and Maritime should specify exactly why Discovery didn't pass the safety inspection. We are due to sail on her on 15th March and I'm rather concerned. Is it a problem that can be fixed in the next week or so or a more serious safety issue? We can only think the worst as they are not being specific!

Old March 2nd, 2013, 02:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'd also question whether C&M are wise chosing Avonmouth as a port. I've no experience of cruises, so I'm not sure how other ports compare, but Avonmouth is a working freight port. All the staff working there were Bristol Port Company, and as helpful as they were, they had no information from C&M other than trying to organise the drop-offs, parking (on rubble car-parks) and coach travel. Passengers were dropped off under the canopy of a huge warehouse, and it was minor mayhem - delays to get in, passengers just ambling about the site amongst all the cars and coaches, people leaving cars blocking other cars....I ended up helping drivers to unload baggage from coaches just to help move the show along.
Wouldn't it be wise to invest in a few basic passenger facilities before operating cruises from there in the first place?

Old March 4th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Some more news from ITV:

http://www.itv.com/news/west/story/2...ise-cancelled/

Old March 4th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just saw a News posting on this website that company's first Discovery sailing cancelled. After safety management system didn't pass muster.
92 Sea Breeze
93 Ocean Breeze
95 Renaissance III
00 tall ship Wind Surf
01 Columbia Queen (Pacific Northwest)
02 tall ship Wind Star (Costa Rica)
02 tall ship Star Clipper
03 tall ship Mandalay (Panama)
05 tall ship Wind Surf
05 tall ship Polynesia
06 tall ship Star Clipper
10 tall ship Wind Star (Costa Rica)
10 tall ship Arabella (New England)
11 tall ship Arabella
11 tall ship Diamant
12 tall ship Diamant
13 tall ship Sagitta
13 tall ship Star Flyer (Panama/Costa Rica)
14 tall ship Arabella
Next-Nov. 14: tall ship Diamant

Old March 4th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

St not the cruise for me. You get what u pay for