Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 30th, 2012, 10:52 AM
sail7seas sail7seas is offline
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 68,876
Default No HAL Ships in Port Everglades......

We just spent a little over a week in FLL and loved being there but there is an 'emptiness' when we looked out at Port Everglades and saw no blue hulled beauties. Actually, we saw almost no ships at all.

Oasis came in and left as scheduled on Saturday despite Hurricane Isaac which had not yet arrived at South Florida. I expect they encountered some rough sailing but have not gone to the RCI site to read comments from those who were aboard.

Allure delayed her usual Sunday arrival until Tuesday and there were some really good natured Allure cruisers in our hotel. They took it in their stride and made the best of their extended Florida stay.

BUT when we go to FLL at a time when HAL has no ships in I have an emptiness in some deep part of me. It makes me realize how much HAL has become a part of our lives.

We usually would have been on Maasdam doing Canada/New England but DH could not take off that amount of time from his office so we substituted a shorter resort stay.


Anyone else feel attached to the ships in anything resembling that sort of way? I grant we've sailed a lot more than many and that surely is a factor.
__________________
<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />

sail7seas7 At yahoo .com
Please put CruiseCritic in Subject Line

Last edited by sail7seas; August 30th, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old August 30th, 2012, 11:36 AM
the2ofus the2ofus is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: West Central OH
Posts: 3,081
Default

I can't admit to that deep an attachment, but I do miss going to the Ft. Lauderdale cruise cam on Sundays. Love that deep-throated blast as a HAL ship clears the harbor.

I still get excited whenever I book a cruise, whenever I make final payment as occurred this past Tuesday. I still love the feeling of anticipation when we finally arrive at the port and when we cross the gangway. If those feeling ever go away, I'll know something is amiss in my personal life or in me. Then I'll immediately book another cruise as a sure-fire remedy!
__________________
19 HAL Cruises, 1 Princess, 1 Royal Caribbean, 1 Uniworld Rhine River.
Next up: Eurodam December 2014
Viking River cruise booked for 2015.


Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:29 PM
cruisin'girl cruisin'girl is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 473
Default

With that kind of attachment maybe it's time to think of taking a land vacation to a different resort area where the memories aren't so distressing to you. Ft. Lauderdale is nice, but there are plenty of great places to go other than the same hotel, same restaurants, same view. How about the west coast of FL- Naples is terrific as is Sarasota. Try a new experience for fun.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old August 30th, 2012, 04:13 PM
sail7seas sail7seas is offline
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 68,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin'girl View Post
With that kind of attachment maybe it's time to think of taking a land vacation to a different resort area where the memories aren't so distressing to you. Ft. Lauderdale is nice, but there are plenty of great places to go other than the same hotel, same restaurants, same view. How about the west coast of FL- Naples is terrific as is Sarasota. Try a new experience for fun.

We've been to dozens of various resorts throughout Caribbean, domestic, Europe, Bermuda, Hawaii.........

No worries.
Lots of variety but we certainly do have favorites and friends....
We so loved seeing our friends and having some great dinners out inclulding at some restaurants we'd never even heard of before.

We had a wonderful vacation celebrating our 43rd wedding anniversary and it was nice to do so with good friends.

__________________
<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />

sail7seas7 At yahoo .com
Please put CruiseCritic in Subject Line
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:31 PM
mamaofami's Avatar
mamaofami mamaofami is online now
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Displaced New Yorker
Posts: 15,287
Default

Happy Anniversary, Judy.
__________________
Carol


Royal Viking Star 6/90 Bermuda

Veendam 11/29/03 WesternCaribbean
Statendam 6/20/04 Alaska
Statendam 6/27/04 Alaska

Zuiderdam 11/13/04 Eastern Caribbean

Rotterdam 2/14/05 Panama Canal

Zuiderdam 11/12/05 Southern Caribbean
Noordam 2/7/07 EasternCaribbean

Noordam 2/6/08 Eastern Caribbean

Eurodam 8/29/08 NYC 3 day Inaugural Cruise
Maasdam 1/28/11 Southern Caribbean

Maasdam 6/11/11 N. Eng/Canada

Maasdam 1/13/12 Southern Caribbean

Veendam 6/17/12 Bermuda

Maasdam 4/22/ 13 Eastern Caribbean


Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:36 PM
kazu's Avatar
kazu kazu is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 26,265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas View Post
We've been to dozens of various resorts throughout Caribbean, domestic, Europe, Bermuda, Hawaii.........

No worries.
Lots of variety but we certainly do have favorites and friends....
We so loved seeing our friends and having some great dinners out inclulding at some restaurants we'd never even heard of before.

We had a wonderful vacation celebrating our 43rd wedding anniversary and it was nice to do so with good friends.
Glad you had a great anniversary - happy anniversary Judy
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:40 PM
whogo whogo is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas View Post
BUT when we go to FLL at a time when HAL has no ships in I have an emptiness in some deep part of me. It makes me realize how much HAL has become a part of our lives.

Anyone else feel attached to the ships in anything resembling that sort of way?
No.

I think it is time that you moved up to Crystal, Seabourn, or Silversea and got over your HAL obsession. HAL is not that special and your making it such an important part of your life is not healthy.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Oceanwench's Avatar
Oceanwench Oceanwench is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 3,326
Default

Welcome to Fort Lauderdale in summertime -- the slow season!

I think you got that sentimental feeling because you probably were staying in the hotel where you always stay when you cruise, looking out at the same view of the port, etc. Boarding a HAL ship is just part of the experience ... and this time you weren't doing that.

If you had booked another hotel in Fort Lauderdale, away from the port, you wouldn't have felt that tug on the emotions.
__________________


Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:08 PM
sail7seas sail7seas is offline
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 68,876
Default

Thanks for the Happy Anniversary wishes.

__________________
<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />

sail7seas7 At yahoo .com
Please put CruiseCritic in Subject Line
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:47 AM
arewethereyet arewethereyet is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,028
Default

Seriously, if you are that attached to HAL, how about a HAL tattoo. Choose your favorite ship, have it tattooed on you, and you'll have it wherever you go.

Last edited by arewethereyet; August 31st, 2012 at 06:48 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:57 AM
3rdGenCunarder 3rdGenCunarder is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,686
Default

Happy anniversary, Judy. You're a few years ahead of us. Well done!

I understand how you feel. In my case, a particular ship more than a line. I felt that way about QE2. One time we were headed into NYC for lunch with a perfect day planned--lunch with a friend, play tickets, etc. As we drove down the ramp to the Lincoln tunnel, I could see QE2 docked, about to sail on the world cruise. I said to DH, "Forget Broadway, I want to get on the ship!!" Another time, we boarded an NCL ship in NYC, with inlaws (who chose the cruise since it was their anniversary). QE2 was docked next to us. I felt like was caught being unfaithful!

So I guess I had an "unhealthy obsession," too. And you know what? I enjoyed it!
__________________
Kathy
The THIRD generation in my family to sail on a Cunarder
28 QE2 - including 2 Midnight Sun, 2 Panama Canal, 6 TAs, 4 Canada/New England, and various Caribbean, Bermuda, Europe itineraries
5 QM2 - 3 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia
1 Caronia - Baltic
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
5 HAL
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers

Last edited by 3rdGenCunarder; August 31st, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:06 AM
sail7seas sail7seas is offline
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 68,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arewethereyet View Post
Seriously, if you are that attached to HAL, how about a HAL tattoo. Choose your favorite ship, have it tattooed on you, and you'll have it wherever you go.

Oh my, that's a suggestion I never would have 'seen coming'. Nooo, Nooo, I won't be getting any tattoos.
Just not a personal choice, for me.

__________________
<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />

sail7seas7 At yahoo .com
Please put CruiseCritic in Subject Line
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:08 AM
sail7seas sail7seas is offline
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 68,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGenCunarder View Post
Happy anniversary, Judy. You're a few years ahead of us. Well done!

I understand how you feel. In my case, a particular ship more than a line. I felt that way about QE2. One time we were headed into NYC for lunch with a perfect day planned--lunch with a friend, play tickets, etc. As we drove down the ramp to the Lincoln tunnel, I could see QE2 docked, about to sail on the world cruise. I said to DH, "Forget Broadway, I want to get on the ship!!" Another time, we boarded an NCL ship in NYC, with inlaws (who chose the cruise since it was their anniversary). QE2 was docked next to us. I felt like was caught being unfaithful!

So I guess I had an "unhealthy obsession," too. And you know what? I enjoyed it!

Kathy,

Seems there are those here who are suggesting we need therapy.
What they don't get is "HAL IS my therapy".
When we have wounds to heal, HAL is where we go.
And they never let us down.

I so understand your message !!!
Thanks for the Anniversary wishes.

__________________
<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />

sail7seas7 At yahoo .com
Please put CruiseCritic in Subject Line

Last edited by sail7seas; August 31st, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:36 AM
Himself's Avatar
Himself Himself is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Roselle, IL
Posts: 10,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas View Post
We just spent a little over a week in FLL and loved being there but there is an 'emptiness' when we looked out at Port Everglades and saw no blue hulled beauties. Actually, we saw almost no ships at all.

Oasis came in and left as scheduled on Saturday despite Hurricane Isaac which had not yet arrived at South Florida. I expect they encountered some rough sailing but have not gone to the RCI site to read comments from those who were aboard.

Allure delayed her usual Sunday arrival until Tuesday and there were some really good natured Allure cruisers in our hotel. They took it in their stride and made the best of their extended Florida stay.

BUT when we go to FLL at a time when HAL has no ships in I have an emptiness in some deep part of me. It makes me realize how much HAL has become a part of our lives.

We usually would have been on Maasdam doing Canada/New England but DH could not take off that amount of time from his office so we substituted a shorter resort stay.


Anyone else feel attached to the ships in anything resembling that sort of way? I grant we've sailed a lot more than many and that surely is a factor.
Right now the only ships coming into Port Everglades are the Carnival Freedom and RCCL's Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas. Personally, I wish HAL would leave a ship in the Caribbean. They did this, you know!
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old August 31st, 2012, 02:00 PM
arewethereyet arewethereyet is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 1,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas View Post
Oh my, that's a suggestion I never would have 'seen coming'. Nooo, Nooo, I won't be getting any tattoos.
Just not a personal choice, for me.

lol, just kidding. I'm trying to get everyone to get a tattoo, as I plan to be the last person on earth without one.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old August 31st, 2012, 02:08 PM
AtMaui AtMaui is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 408
Default

3rdGenCunarder -- I understand your obsession with the QE2. I only sailed on her once but it was unforgettable. I was in Maui on her last trip there (on her last world cruise I think) and when she sailed out of Lahaina, she got very close to shore, and I stood on my balcony and cried. Lots of flashes going off from her decks and from shore. I felt very silly but I just couldn't help the tears!
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old August 31st, 2012, 02:38 PM
sail7seas sail7seas is offline
Charter Member - 5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 68,876
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himself View Post
Right now the only ships coming into Port Everglades are the Carnival Freedom and RCCL's Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas. Personally, I wish HAL would leave a ship in the Caribbean. They did this, you know!

We watched those three ships sail. Oasis and Freedom went as scheduled but Allure was two days late.

We sailed HAL ships summer in the Caribbean for years, b-to-b. We loved those cruises. HAL used to send their brand new ships their first year sailing to the Caribbean for summer cruises. We sailed Veendam, Zaandam, Maasdam, Zuiderdam and I don't know which others during summers. We'd be thrilled for HAL to do those cruises again but there seems little to no chance that will happen absent some major world event which dictates that as a choice.

__________________
<img src=http://www.hollandamerica.com/images/5starMariner.gif border=0 alt= />

sail7seas7 At yahoo .com
Please put CruiseCritic in Subject Line
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old August 31st, 2012, 02:42 PM
amster65's Avatar
amster65 amster65 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wash. DC Burbs, Silver Spring MD
Posts: 656
Default

Have an opportunity to take cruise in May (its a long story) Anyway we had to resort to going on Freedom of the Seas. Dont think I can handle those superzize behemoths. I will try to make the most of it, but I am really going to miss my promenade deck, but we are going to have cartoon characters. Whoopee!!
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old August 31st, 2012, 07:03 PM
cruisin'girl cruisin'girl is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGenCunarder View Post
I understand how you feel. In my case, a particular ship more than a line. I felt that way about QE2. One time we were headed into NYC for lunch with a perfect day planned--lunch with a friend, play tickets, etc. As we drove down the ramp to the Lincoln tunnel, I could see QE2 docked, about to sail on the world cruise. I said to DH, "Forget Broadway, I want to get on the ship!!" Another time, we boarded an NCL ship in NYC, with inlaws (who chose the cruise since it was their anniversary). QE2 was docked next to us. I felt like was caught being unfaithful!

So I guess I had an "unhealthy obsession," too. And you know what? I enjoyed it!
LOL. Actually seeing your favorite ship sailing out to sea without you and wishing you were on her isn't an "unhealthy obsession". Almost everyone who cruises feels like that. An obsession is when something becomes overly important in your life and almost every waking moment is spent thinking about it. That I would worry about.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old August 31st, 2012, 07:05 PM
Typhoon1's Avatar
Typhoon1 Typhoon1 is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI 53201
Posts: 12,714
Default

Be patient. Fall is just around the corner.

The Signature of Excellence will return.
__________________


Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.
Cookie ConsentCookie Policy