Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old August 15th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bringing Wine on Board?

We have not cruised for nearly 2 years but back then Princess was very flexible about pax bringing their own wine on board. In fact, we packed a bottle of scotch in our main luggage and they let it through.

Does anyone have any recent experience on Princess bringing their own spirits on board? Last time (30 days to Sydney in 2010), we were even allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine back from the ports (not the hard stuff). We'll be on the Grand next March with loads of sea days so an extra bottle or two of wine in the cabin would be nice.

Thanks, Didi

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 15th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Although I've read about people having been stopped with beer we never have had any problems with taking on alcohol. I just carry a water bottle filled with rum in the carry on. The security people couldn't care less one way of the other and until they do I won't have to resort to any sneaky tactics.

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:28 PM
5,000+ Club

Do a thread search on wine. Many comments over the last few weeks. As of now, it seems to be status quo.

Roll Call for Royal - October 2014: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1844420

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have always taken 2 or more bottles of wine on board with no problem. Your 'supply' can be replenished at each of your stops. This is one of the reasons we prefer Princess--- it is nice to enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony before we go to dinner

Old August 15th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd crsr View Post
We have always taken 2 or more bottles of wine on board with no problem. Your 'supply' can be replenished at each of your stops. This is one of the reasons we prefer Princess--- it is nice to enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony before we go to dinner
Ditto! I like my own wine on my balcony pre-dinner, post-dinner I buy their martinis! Key Lime and Lemondrops - yum

I've been on many Princess cruises (last one in June) and NEVER had a question asked about the wine in my carry-on or restocking in ports.

Old August 15th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Wendy and all. It sounds like nothing has changed since we cruised in 2010. Another thing people have done is to get one of the big water glasses from the dining room, take it to your room and pour your favorite libation in it and take it into the dining room for dinner. I guess a lot of us feel that if Princess would charge more reasonable prices for alcohol given that it is all duty free for them, those of us who imbibe would be less inclined to bring stuff on ourselves. But they charge what many mainland restaurants and bars charge.

Anyway, we're surely looking forward to getting back on a Princess ship!

Old August 15th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 123 View Post
Although I've read about people having been stopped with beer we never have had any problems with taking on alcohol. I just carry a water bottle filled with rum in the carry on. The security people couldn't care less one way of the other and until they do I won't have to resort to any sneaky tactics.
Now that's just funny, I don't care who you are!

Putting rum in a water bottle is not a sneaky way to get past the rules???

dixonmatco@aol.com

Mexican Cruise Viking Serenade,RCI Dec 1997
Caribbean cruise, Monarch of the Seas, Sept 2001
Tahiti and Islands, Tahitian Princess, October 2004
Alaska Inside Passage, cruise tour, Diamond Princess, September 2008
Grand Mediterranean Ruby Princess Aug 2012

Old August 15th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matcodixon View Post
Now that's just funny, I don't care who you are!

Putting rum in a water bottle is not a sneaky way to get past the rules???
It's not really sneaky and I don't try to hide it. I just don't want more than 20 oz for my cruise but if they ever do start checking like NCL/RCCI I might have to resort to some sneaky ways of getting it past.

Old August 15th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayCalif-Ariz R Us View Post
Thanks Wendy and all. It sounds like nothing has changed since we cruised in 2010. Another thing people have done is to get one of the big water glasses from the dining room, take it to your room and pour your favorite libation in it and take it into the dining room for dinner. I guess a lot of us feel that if Princess would charge more reasonable prices for alcohol given that it is all duty free for them, those of us who imbibe would be less inclined to bring stuff on ourselves. But they charge what many mainland restaurants and bars charge.

The cruise lines seem to charge the same markup as local restaurants where I live. I think it appears high since you are onboard for so many consecutive days. That said BYOB is a wonderful thing and I support restaurants and cruise lines that allow it.

Pac Coastal Celebrity Century, May 2014. Western Carib Crown Princess, Mar 2013; Mediterranean, Celebrity Solstice, May 2012; W. Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, Sep 2011; Transatlantic Regatta Oceania, Nov 2010; 7N E. Car., Carnival Fantasy, May 2010; W. Caribbean, Carnival Conquest, Feb 2010; Gulf of Mexico, Carnival Ecstacy, Dec 2008; Transatlantic Regatta Oceania, Mar 2008; Canada/New England Crown Princess, Sep 2007; Midway/Hawaii Regal Princess, May 2007: W. Caribbean, Grand Princess, Feb, 2007 ;So. Car.,Volendam HAL, Nov, 2006; Caribbean,Zuiderdam, HAL, 2005; W Caribbean Galaxy, CCL, 2005;Transatlantic Jewel RCI,2004; W Caribbean Sovereign RCI, 2003; Hawaii Infinity, CCL, 2002; Transatlantic Rotterdam, HAL, 2000; Caribbean Galaxy CCL, 2000; Mexico Harmony, Crystal, 1999; Caribbean Zenith, CCL, 1999; South America Royal, Princess, 1998/9; W Caribbean Noordam, HAL,199?; Caribbean Horizon, CCL, 199?; Caribbean Enchanted Seas, Commodore, 198?; Alaska Regal, Princess, 198?.

Old August 15th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer 123 View Post
It's not really sneaky and I don't try to hide it. I just don't want more than 20 oz for my cruise but if they ever do start checking like NCL/RCCI I might have to resort to some sneaky ways of getting it past.
I guess there are different levels of "sneaky"

Bringing in Rum,. which is against the rules, in a Rum bottle would be, by my definition actually "not sneaky"
Bringing it in disguised as water in a water bottle must be "kinda Sneaky' except in N.J.?

dixonmatco@aol.com

Mexican Cruise Viking Serenade,RCI Dec 1997
Caribbean cruise, Monarch of the Seas, Sept 2001
Tahiti and Islands, Tahitian Princess, October 2004
Alaska Inside Passage, cruise tour, Diamond Princess, September 2008
Grand Mediterranean Ruby Princess Aug 2012

Old August 15th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Go to the wine bar

Their glasses will hold 1/2 bottle of wine and only be 3/4 full. Problem solved.

Old August 15th, 2012, 05:14 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:

You don't need to take a water glass from the DR. Just ask room service for wine glasses or ask at any bar.

Old August 15th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Bringing in Rum,. which is against the rules, in a Rum bottle would be, by my definition actually "not sneaky"
Bringing it in disguised as water in a water bottle must be "kinda Sneaky' except in N.J.?
OK, then I'll be less sneaky next time and carry a 1/2 bottle of rum but it all winds up being the same thing in the end except that it takes up more room in the bag.

Old August 15th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I don't think the rum thing is sneaky either. Putting a beverage that comes in a glass bottle into a plastic one just makes sense when packing. So I'll just thank Boomer (and all) for their comments. Time to move on Mat...........

Old August 16th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were on the Diamond Princess last week in Alaska. We brought on a bottle of whisky in our check in luggage with no problems. We carried on 2 bottles of wine, which weren't inspected. We didn't buy wine in ports, and didn't notice whether anyone had problems with this.

Old August 16th, 2012, 02:21 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
. Another thing people have done is to get one of the big water glasses from the dining room, take it to your room and pour your favorite libation in it and take it into the dining room for dinner.
In a recent thread, there was no clear consensus as to whether doing this was "smart" or "tacky." I guess you could ask yourself whether, in order to avoid the mark-up, you'd sneak a glass of your own wine into a land-based restaurant - letting the staff assume you'd bought it at the restaurant's bar - and then do likewise onboard.
1/06 Westerdam -W. Caribbean * 1/07 Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera * 1/08 Zuiderdam - E. Caribbean * 4/08 Celebrity Mercury - Alaska * 12/09 Crown Princess - W. Caribbean * 8/10 Sea Princess - Alaska * 1/11 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 4/11 Island Princess - Panama full transit * 8/11 Sea Princess - Alaska * 2/12 Grand Princess - E. Caribbean * 4/12 Coral Princess - Panama full transit * 12/12 Star Princess - SFO to Buenos Aires * 4/13 Golden Princess - Hawaii * 10/13 Royal Princess - Venice to FLL * 2/14 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 8/14 Star Princess - Alaska * 7/15 Diamond Princess - Japan

Last edited by shepp; August 16th, 2012 at 02:24 AM.

Old August 16th, 2012, 03:11 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I am sure if someone walks into the restaurant with a big water glass filled with anything other than water (and why would you?), the wait staff will know it is a do-it-yourself drink. The waiters only use wine glasses. You can get these from any bar, but that doesn't mean I am suggesting walking into the dining room with a wine glass full of your own wine.

Old August 16th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd crsr View Post
Precisely! Moreover, I detest being treated like I am in high school. Come to think of it, even in high school no one ever checked our bags. We were treated like adults and expected to behave like adults, and make intelligent decisions, which, amazingly, we actually did, just like we do on Princess.

From what I hear, those cruise lines that restrict alcohol being brought on board by passengers, (Carnival and NCL for instance) have a lot more alcohol-related behavioral problems than Princess. Maybe that is why they feel they need to restrict alcohol.

These cruise lines that fuss over passenger bringing wine on board make me crazy. They may think they are earning more money by forcing people only to drink wine bought on board, but in our case they are just losing our business entirely.

Even though we bring our own wine on board for consumption on our balcony, we always buy wine in the dining room for dinner and rarely take our own wine to dinner. When we do decide to take a bottle of our own wine into the dining room, say for a special occasion, we are happy to pay a corkage fee.

Beyond that, other than a rare beer to go with pizza, or once in a great while, watching a Husky game under the stars, we just don't buy alcohol on board a ship and that isn't going to change one way or the other whether or not we are allowed to bring wine on board.

Golden Princess 09/14 Pacific Coastal
Queen Elizabeth 11/14 Mediterranean (Croatia)
Golden Princess 2/15 South America
Golden Princess 3/15 South America

Joyful memories

Queen Victoria 08/14 Baltic (Russia) * Grand Princess 5/14 Pacific Coastal * Star Princess 5/14 Pacific Coastal * Island Princess 4/14 Panama Canal * Star Princess 12/13 Hawaii (Best cruise ever) * HAL Noordam 10/13 WB Transatlantic * Golden Princess 8/13 Alaska * Crown Princess 2/13 Western Caribbean (Cancelled) * Golden Princess 12/12 Hawaii *Sapphire Princess 10/12 California Coastal * Caribbean Princess 7/12 Scandinavia * Caribbean Princess 4/12 EB Transatlantic Crossing * HAL Amsterdam 9/11 Puget Sound * Star Princess 7/11 Mediterraean * Island Princess 5/11 SFO/YVR * Emerald Princess 12/10 Aruba * Coral Princess 9/10 Coastal * Golden Princess 6/10 Alaska * Celebrity Mercury 10/9 Puget Sound * Star Princess 9/09 Alaska * Golden Princess 9/09 Coastal * Golden Princess 6/09 Alaska * Star Princess 5/09 Coastal * Sapphire Princess 12/08 Mexico * Golden Princess 9/08, Repo * HAL Volendam 9/08, Repo * NCL Star 9/08 Repo * QM2 7/08, New England * Island Princess 5/08 Coastal * Coral Princess 5/08 * Diamond Princess 9/07 * Island Princess 5/07 * Golden Princess 5/07 * HAL Veendam 9/06, Repo * Dawn Princess 9/06 Coastal * Dawn Princess 5/06 Repo * Sapphire Princess 9/05 PacificCoastal * Island Princess 8/05 YVR/ANC

Old August 16th, 2012, 09:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you all - I've gotten the answer to my original question and that is that Princess' policy has not changed regarding bringing spirits on board. If they wanted to prevent it they easily could - as the other lines do. I'm going to unsubscribe to this thread now - with appreciation for all who responded and wishing you all

HAPPY CRUISING

Old August 16th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sending wine with luggage

Hello...
On the subject of bringing wine on board... we are leaving in a few days for Alaska with a land tour first. We want to have a special bottle of wine on board to celebrate my retirement . We are going to purchase a few bottles in Anchorage to take inland. Can we send a separate box of wine (well wrapped) with our luggage to the ship before the land tour? We are also thinking of packing it in a suitcase. Any thoughts?