Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old July 22nd, 2012, 05:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question Zaandam Main deck aft cabins

Hello, we are thinking of booking on the Zaandam Northbound Vancouver to Seward in August 2013. I have just started looking at cabins and need some opinions. We will be booking an ocean view and my research has led me to Deck 2 (main deck) as it seems to be a quiet deck with only cabin above - no promenade.

I came across these two cabins aft G2713 and G2715, they only have showers not tubs which is fine by us. There is a small deck right outside the rooms which is almost like having a balcony. But my main concern, if we can get these cabins, is if smokers would congregate there? Being non smokers it would be just awful for us. We will be two couples traveling together and thought these suites would be great.

Love to get your thoughts and if not these then what's the next best?

Thank you

Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:53 AM
5,000+ Club

We've never been on the Zaandam, but in general unlabeled white space is for "crew only", while public decks are usually "lined" like the Verandah deck forward and aft areas. The doors leading out there are probably marked Crew Only, Emergency Exit. That's isn't to say that some people won't ignore those signs and go out there to smoke, but if they do, and bother you, you can call security to have them removed.
Queen of Bermuda circa 1963 * Carnival Festivale 1995 * AMSTERDAM Alaska 7/02 * Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas 1/05 * WESTERDAM Baltic 9/05 * NOORDAM West Mediterranean 6/06 * VEENDAM West Caribbean 12/06 * Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas 4/07 * STATENDAM Alaska Cruise-Tour 9/07 * ZUIDERDAM Eastern Caribbean 12/07 * AMSTERDAM Panama Canal transit 4/08 * EURODAM Bahamas 10/08 * NOORDAM Southern Caribbean 12/08 * NOORDAM Southern Caribbean 12/09 * NIEUW AMSTERDAM Eastern Mediterranean 9/10 * RYNDAM Western Caribbean 12/10 * VEENDAM Bermuda 10/11 * MAASDAM Southern Caribbean 3/12 * PRINSENDAM TransAtlantic 5/13 * Disney Dream Bahamas 11/13 * Eurodam 8/14

Last edited by catl331; July 22nd, 2012 at 09:58 AM.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you Carol. Yes it is "lined" on the deck plan so I am assuming that we or anyone can use that area.

I guess if we were sitting out there and someone started smoking then we would have to grin and bear it or move.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:44 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaudieT56 View Post
Yes it is "lined" on the deck plan so I am assuming that we or anyone can use that area.
No, it's not lined on the deck plan that I see:
http://book.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/fleet/next/za_m.pdf

Those three little lined squares denote stairs, and at the top of those stairs (on the Upper Promenade) there is probably signage indicating that passengers are not allowed down there.

Compare the areas at the forward and aft ends of the Verandah Deck, which are public:
http://book.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/fleet/next/za_v.pdf

Last edited by catl331; July 22nd, 2012 at 11:48 AM.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have had an E cabin in this location of the Main Deck, and absolutely loved it.

We never noticed anyone smoking in the area and the deck was never crowded. It is sheltered from the elements, which makes it enjoyable for being out on when the weather is not so nice.

You will have to stand at the rail to view the scenery, although there maybe a deck chair or two there. When we were on the Zaandam previously there was only one deck chair in this location.

There is a set of stairs that take you to the Deck 3, which is great for a quick escape to walk on the Lower Promenade.

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oh, and if you are worried about hearing noise from people walking on the Lower Promenade (Deck 3) we never heard it.

Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:40 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We stayed in aft Main Deck ocean view cabin on the Amsterdam last August - just steps out to the little used public deck (and it IS a public deck, not just for crew use). A simple walk up one flight to the Promenade. There are "No smoking" signs on that aft Main deck, so it won't be an issue for you. There is smoking permitted on the aft of the Promenade deck one flight up, but you would not be bothered by that. I say book that cabin and enjoy!

Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:32 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaudieT56 View Post
Hello, we are thinking of booking on the Zaandam Northbound Vancouver to Seward in August 2013. I have just started looking at cabins and need some opinions. We will be booking an ocean view and my research has led me to Deck 2 (main deck) as it seems to be a quiet deck with only cabin above - no promenade.

I came across these two cabins aft G2713 and G2715, they only have showers not tubs which is fine by us. There is a small deck right outside the rooms which is almost like having a balcony. But my main concern, if we can get these cabins, is if smokers would congregate there? Being non smokers it would be just awful for us. We will be two couples traveling together and thought these suites would be great.

Love to get your thoughts and if not these then what's the next best?

Thank you
Smoking is not allowed on deck outside those cabins. If you met someone there smoking, just direct them to aft deck 8, starboard.

Holland America - 29
Royal Cruise Line - 3
Royal Viking - 1
Princess - 1
NCL - 1

Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

This is a pic I took in Dec - and I'm pretty sure this is the spot you mean - since the aft staircase ends on Main Deck - and starts on the lido deck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aft staircase.jpg (17.7 KB, 56 views)

Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Just off Zaandam last week

I just returned from a cruise on the Zaandam, July 8-15. I walked the promenade deck (3) multiple times a day, and there were always people smoking at the back of the ship, just above the stairs down to deck 2. There are ashtrays back there, so it seemed allowed. I just held my breath for those few steps.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for posting about the smoking, I too hold my breath as I walk past the smoking gang.

At this stage I am thinking I may change my mind and book with either Princess or Celebrity, they have much stricter smoker rules.

Old July 24th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

We have stayed in the aft cabins on the Zaandam a couple of times and have never met any one else on the aft deck when we were out there. This was on the Navigation deck.

The first time we had the aft cabin, the aft deck had two tables and two chairs @ each table on both sides of the deck.

The second time there was no table or chairs so we just asked our steward to supply them and voila! There they were.

We never had an issue with other passengers using the deck. Let alone smokers.

Rockfan2