Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old June 27th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default How to dress for Alaskan cruise

This will be my first Alaskan cruise. We sail on Celebruty Infinity June 29. How does one dress for the evening in terms of temperature? Winter dresses? Are summer ensembles OK? Thanks!

Old June 27th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Actually the temps in Alaska are about the same as the temps in Chicago.Summer outfits are what you should wear but be sure you have a sweater. I have been in Anchorage when it was 90 degrees in August. When you are on the sea near the glaciars it is cool but you will be fine with long pants etc.

Ruby Princess, British Isles,June 2014
Carnival Legend, Baltic,June 2013
Celebrity Equinox,Eastern Med, May 2012
Carnival Magic, Western Mediteranean, June 2011
Avalon Tranquility, Budapest to Amsterdam,2007
Avalon Scenery, Paris to Nice,2010

Old June 27th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am going in July and will be taking both summer and fall type dresses for dinner and gowns for formal nights. The weather is very unpredictable in Alaska so its better to take a little of both and make sure to bring items you can layer with such as a wrap or something similar to go with your dinner dress. Also, I know you are talking about dinner here but make sure you bring hat, gloves, scarf, and medium weight jacket because it does get cold outside, especially when viewing glaciers. The last Alaska cruise I went on was also in July and when we went through Glacier Bay and College Fjord we were on our balcony with a pot of coffee, jackets, and blankets wrapped around our heads (btw- it was sunny and decent weather at the time). Just fyi, I am from Oregon so I am not a cold weather whimp

CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE-EASTERN CARIBBEAN 3/3/13
CELEBRITY REFLECTION-EASTERN CARIBBEAN 12/8/12
CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM-ALASKA NB 7/13/12
REEF ENCOUNTER LIVE ABOARD-GR BARRIER REEF 6/09
CARNIVAL DESTINY- SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN 6/05
CARNIVAL PRIDE- MEXICAN RIVIERA 3/05
ISLAND PRINCESS-ALASKA SB 7/04

Old June 27th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have my list set for our Alaskan cruise. I am bringing 2 pairs of black pants, a long black skirt and several dressy tops to coordinate for the evenings, one pair of shoes and some mix and match jewelry and scarves. We are more concerned with the 5 days on land plus the active excursions we have planned off the ship. I need the room in my suitcase for jeans, sweatshirts and fleeces.

Old June 27th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riogirl2348 View Post
This will be my first Alaskan cruise. We sail on Celebruty Infinity June 29. How does one dress for the evening in terms of temperature? Winter dresses? Are summer ensembles OK? Thanks!
In the evenings summer ensembles are fine on an Alaskan cruise IMO. I usually wear black pants and a top on informal nights and sparkly tops and long skirts or dressy pants on formal nights. I don't get cold on the ships in Alaska but a sweater is handy. By the way, we are on the Infinity on the 29th as well. Flying out tomorrow. Enjoy!

Last edited by SJSULIBRARIAN; June 27th, 2012 at 10:11 PM.

Old June 28th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

We are elite members of the Celebrity loyalty program. While we live in Alaska we have done two Alaskan cruises, both on Celebrity. We found that on formal nights the dress on the two Alaskan cruises was more casual than the formal night dress on other Celebrity cruises. In other words, on the formal nights on the two Alaska cruises passengers were wearing less formal than we normally see on Celebrity. While women were still wearing glittery and sparkling tops I thought there were fewer long dresses and definitely fewer tuxes than one would expect to find on a Celebrity trans-atlantic or trans-pacific cruise.

Old June 28th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Our Experiences in June, 2009 in Alaska

My wife and I found the key was layering. Start with lighter things, but be prepared to throw on a medium weight sweater and a light windbreaker and long pants if weather turns cold or rainy. I wore short sleeve shirt with jacket and tie to Formal night. Wife wore long sleeves because the ship always seems cold to her due to air conditioning in the dining room. Hope you have a great time.

Old June 28th, 2012, 11:38 PM
10,000+ Club

Layers are the key, if you get warm take off a layer, if you get cold put one on.

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:17 AM
5,000+ Club

You dress like this

Old June 29th, 2012, 01:18 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by a sixth? View Post
you dress like this :d

lol :d

Old June 29th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Dresses are fine and your husband will need a jacket or they may not let him into the MDR on formal night.
Make sure you bring warm clothes too because if it is overcast and windy especially near the glacier the temperatures drop dramatically.
We just got back last month on the Infinity and it was very very cold and windy but sunny.
Bring hat, gloves, neck scarf and layer your clothing because you never know
Have a great cruise.

Old June 29th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy100 View Post
Dresses are fine and your husband will need a jacket or they may not let him into the MDR on formal night.
Make sure you bring warm clothes too because if it is overcast and windy especially near the glacier the temperatures drop dramatically.
We just got back last month on the Infinity and it was very very cold and windy but sunny.
Bring hat, gloves, neck scarf and layer your clothing because you never know
Have a great cruise.
This exactly. Make sure you have a waterproof outer layer with a hood. I wore a short-sleeved T, light cardigan, fleece underlayer, and waterproof shell, with jeans. (I have a Columbia jacket where the fleece and shell match, but any type of jacket will do.) This way you are able to take on and off layers as you wish. Make sure to bring hat, gloves and scarf because the glacier day is COLD. Make sure you have a hood, because umbrellas are frankly too unwieldy, heavy to carry, and poke people as you are getting on and off the boat. Not to mention the huge winds in many ports (especially Skagway) make it impossible to carry.

Old June 30th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgo39 View Post
Actually the temps in Alaska are about the same as the temps in Chicago.Summer outfits are what you should wear but be sure you have a sweater. I have been in Anchorage when it was 90 degrees in August. When you are on the sea near the glaciars it is cool but you will be fine with long pants etc.
Huh?? I live in Chicago and couldn't disagree more. Alaska summers are nothing like ours (unless you are talking about the southern tail end, and even then they are really different). Yes, it can get that hot in Alaska but that is the exception rather than the rule.
I have been on three Alaska cruises and while we did encounter one or two 80 degree days, most were in the 50's. Add a cold breeze off the deck, or the usual rain and drizzle and that can feel pretty darn cold. It seemed to me the inside of the ship was more cool also than in the Caribbean. I would personally advise women to leave the shoulder baring sundresses behind, or at the very least make sure to bring something to cover your arms, especially if you plan to walk the deck at all in the evening.

Old July 1st, 2012, 10:57 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_dream View Post
Huh?? I live in Chicago and couldn't disagree more. Alaska summers are nothing like ours (unless you are talking about the southern tail end, and even then they are really different). Yes, it can get that hot in Alaska but that is the exception rather than the rule.
I have been on three Alaska cruises and while we did encounter one or two 80 degree days, most were in the 50's. Add a cold breeze off the deck, or the usual rain and drizzle and that can feel pretty darn cold. It seemed to me the inside of the ship was more cool also than in the Caribbean. I would personally advise women to leave the shoulder baring sundresses behind, or at the very least make sure to bring something to cover your arms, especially if you plan to walk the deck at all in the evening.
Makes sense if it is cold enough for ice it is cold enough for a jumper/jacket.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 12:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Good advice here on layering already posted. Most important is outer water resistant layer with hood. We never had heavy rain but a lot of drizzle.

Carnival Legend January 2007
Carnival Miracle January 2008
Celebrity Solstice January 2010
Celebrity Equinox January 2011
RC Navigator of the Seas Dec 2011
Celebrity Century Alaska June 2012
Celebrity Silhouette E.Caribbean January 2013 Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Feb 2014
Celebrity Silhouette E Caribbean March 2014