Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old May 30th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Silhouette: Is Deck 8 or Deck 9 better for a hump balcony cabin?

Thanks for your help on these questions. We are basically new to Celebrity, having sailed only the Galaxy on our second cruise ever, but are considering the Silhouette for an Adriatic cruise in October 2013. I just know we'll love the line and the ship! We've decided on a 1B hump cabin but wonder if we should choose deck 8 or deck 9. Also, we will be traveling with friends in, hopefully, an adjoining cabin and would like to know if the balcony divider can be opened. And one more question--one of the cabins is marked as having a sleeper sofa and upper (which is really not needed). Will the "upper" protrude from the wall taking up space and becoming a hazard as far as bumping one's head?

Thanks very much!

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for. Sail out to sea and do new things. - Rear Admiral Grace Hopper

Old May 30th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hump Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckntom View Post
Thanks for your help on these questions. We are basically new to Celebrity, having sailed only the Galaxy on our second cruise ever, but are considering the Silhouette for an Adriatic cruise in October 2013. I just know we'll love the line and the ship! We've decided on a 1B hump cabin but wonder if we should choose deck 8 or deck 9. Also, we will be traveling with friends in, hopefully, an adjoining cabin and would like to know if the balcony divider can be opened. And one more question--one of the cabins is marked as having a sleeper sofa and upper (which is really not needed). Will the "upper" protrude from the wall taking up space and becoming a hazard as far as bumping one's head?

Thanks very much!
We were on the Silhoutte last December and had cabin # 8242 which is a 1B hump cabin. It is located very near the midship elevator bank that goes to down the MDR, up to the buffet, to the I lounge and the pool. A very convenient location. As to deck 8 vs deck 9, I really don't think it matters much. The view form either deck is the same. We liked our cabin and location so much that we booked it later this year on the Equinox.

Yes you can have a section of the balcony removed and the upper bearth comes out of the ceiling so no need to worry about it. If 8242 is still available you could not go wrong in choosing it.

Old May 30th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thank you, Richard, for this helpful information. I very much appreciate it! It doesn't appear that 8242 is still available, but I'll ask our TA to check it out. Other cabins right around it are open, so we should be able to get close. Thanks again!

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for. Sail out to sea and do new things. - Rear Admiral Grace Hopper

Old May 30th, 2012, 11:42 PM
5,000+ Club

I dont know which side of the ship your desired cabin is on - but keep in mind - if you dont like cig smoke and are near midship - you'll smell it on deck 8 from your verandah. We did as we were exactly 3 decks up from it (8279).

If that's a concern to you, go starboard :-) If you're already starboard, disregard my post :-)

Prior cruises:

Silhouette - Celebrity - Mediterranean - 5/16/2014 (Honeymoon cruise!) - Cabin 1243
Oasis of the Seas - Royal Caribbean - Western Caribbean - 12/7/2013 - Cabin 8151 (Wedding cruise!)
Summit - Celebrity - Canada/New England - 10/05/2013 - Cabin 8046

Reflection - Celebrity - Mediterranean - 10/12/2012 - Cabin 8279
Equinox - Celebrity - Mediterranean - 10/10/2011 - Cabin 8279
Nieuw Amsterdam - Holland America - Mediterranean - 10/6/2010 - Cabin 5051
Seabourn Spirit - Seabourn - Mediterranean - 10/10/2009 - Cabin 322

Holland America

Old May 30th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Silhouette

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckntom View Post
Thank you, Richard, for this helpful information. I very much appreciate it! It doesn't appear that 8242 is still available, but I'll ask our TA to check it out. Other cabins right around it are open, so we should be able to get close. Thanks again!
You are welcome. I would say the cabins in the same area as 8242 would have the same benefits....enjoy the Sihouette, I know you will.

Richard

Old May 30th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile 8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariawoman View Post
I dont know which side of the ship your desired cabin is on - but keep in mind - if you dont like cig smoke and are near midship - you'll smell it on deck 8 from your verandah. We did as we were exactly 3 decks up from it (8279).

If that's a concern to you, go starboard :-) If you're already starboard, disregard my post :-)
Cabin 8242 is on the other side of the ship, Starbord side, 8279 is on the Port side. Even cabins to the right, odd to the left.
Richard

Old May 30th, 2012, 11:58 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Cabin 8242 is on the other side of the ship, Starbord side, 8279 is on the Port side. Even cabins to the right, odd to the left.
Richard
Ah good to know :-) I couldn't remember if there was an odd/even thing goin' on or not!

Prior cruises:

Silhouette - Celebrity - Mediterranean - 5/16/2014 (Honeymoon cruise!) - Cabin 1243
Oasis of the Seas - Royal Caribbean - Western Caribbean - 12/7/2013 - Cabin 8151 (Wedding cruise!)
Summit - Celebrity - Canada/New England - 10/05/2013 - Cabin 8046

Reflection - Celebrity - Mediterranean - 10/12/2012 - Cabin 8279
Equinox - Celebrity - Mediterranean - 10/10/2011 - Cabin 8279
Nieuw Amsterdam - Holland America - Mediterranean - 10/6/2010 - Cabin 5051
Seabourn Spirit - Seabourn - Mediterranean - 10/10/2009 - Cabin 322

Holland America

Old May 31st, 2012, 04:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Difference is minimal, we stayed on deck 7 I believe it was convenient for accessing the alcove for morning coffee that some enjoy. You'll love the ship even if you stay in a broom closet.
February 2011- Royal Caribbean Explorer to Caribbean
June 2011-Celebrity Summit to Bermuda
March 2012 - Celebrity Silhouette to Caribbean
October 2012-Royal Caribbean Explorer to Bermuda
June 2013- NCL Breakaway to Bermuda
September 2013- Caribbean Princess to NE/Canada
March 2014 - Royal Caribbean Explorer to Caribbean

Old June 1st, 2012, 02:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Smoking

Ariawoman has me worried if smoke bad up on 8th deck how about cabin 6241 on 6th deck
Maybe need to change cabin or cancel as had understood Celebrity great for non smokers.

Old June 1st, 2012, 03:58 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrisellinis View Post
Ariawoman has me worried if smoke bad up on 8th deck how about cabin 6241 on 6th deck
Maybe need to change cabin or cancel as had understood Celebrity great for non smokers.
Yes, Celebrity is great for non smokers unless you choose a cabin that is close to a smoking area.

If smoke is a concern, it is a good idea to check out the locations of the smoking areas before selecting your cabin.

Old June 1st, 2012, 09:21 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrisellinis View Post
The smoking area is portside on deck 5. As long as you are starboard you'll be fine. If portside go at least to deck 9. WE were bothered by smoke on deck 8.

Old June 1st, 2012, 10:14 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Just wanted to say "thanks" to everyone who responded on this thread. We ended up booking on deck 9, portside for the Venice sailaway.

Thanks again!