Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old April 26th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Future cruise credit?

I'm new to Princess and have been trying to find out if Princess offers any sort of future cruise credit that you can purchase similar to NCL's cruise reward where you pay for the reward (i.e. NCL you pay $250 for a cruise reward used to book a future cruise - after you get back home - and when you book your next cruise your Cruise Reward will hold the cabin for you at the time of booking.)

Does Princess offer anything like this?

Thanks!

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 26th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes. Very similar. $100 as the deposit. Must be purchased onboard. Good for 4 years. Do not need to book a specific cruise. Provides on board credits based on the cruise days and cabin configuration
Alaska Glaciers Sapphire Princess Aug 31 2012 ..... E.Caribbean Ruby Princess Dec 30, 2012 ..... Alaska Glaciers Diamond/Sapphire/Island/Sun/Dawn Princess 2012/2011/2009/2008/2007/2005/2003/2002 ....... S.Caribbean Grand Princess 2011 ..... E.Caribbean Ruby Princess 2010 Dec/2012 Alaska Inside Golden Princess 2010 .. Tahitian Princess 2006 .. Caribbean Princess 2005 ... Bahamas RCI Sovereign of the Seas 2005. ..W.Caribbean Grand Princess 2004 ... Bahamas NCL 1976

Old April 26th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oh this is helpful to know! Thanks!

We're specifically considering the 12 day British Isles for our next Princess cruise. We would book two cabins. So we would need to purchase 2 cruise rewards? Is that what they're called? And each Cruise Reward would hold the booking for the entire cabin?

Thanks for your help!

Old April 26th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichTraveler View Post
Yes. Very similar. $100 as the deposit. Must be purchased onboard. Good for 4 years. Do not need to book a specific cruise. Provides on board credits based on the cruise days and cabin configuration
Is this deposit per cabin or per person?

Last edited by DDMau; April 26th, 2012 at 07:17 PM.

Old April 26th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Future credit

I am using my princess future credit for a cruise with my sister. My husband has one that will expire some time soon. We were told that if not used, the cruise line will credit back to our credit card. Is this correct? Thanks.

Old April 26th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrnjlr View Post
Oh this is helpful to know! Thanks!

We're specifically considering the 12 day British Isles for our next Princess cruise. We would book two cabins. So we would need to purchase 2 cruise rewards? Future Cruise Credit (FCC) Is that what they're called? And each Cruise Reward would hold the booking for the entire cabin? Only if it was booked as a single. If there are 2 or more folks per cabin, they each need their own FCC or else they will have to pay the full deposit.The FCC is only good for the person who's name it is in.

Thanks for your help!
Hope that helps.

Old April 26th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, this is helpful. So for a family of 5 we would need to purchase 5 of the Future Cruise Credits.

What is the incentive for purchasing the FCC instead of simply booking and paying a per person deposit?

Old April 26th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisedreamer1 View Post
I am using my princess future credit for a cruise with my sister. My husband has one that will expire some time soon. We were told that if not used, the cruise line will credit back to our credit card. Is this correct? Thanks.
I've been told the same thing. However, I've always used ours, so I haven't actually had one expire. This guarantee always pushes us to buy FCCs and then, of course, we use them!

Old April 26th, 2012, 08:15 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Yes, this is helpful. So for a family of 5 we would need to purchase 5 of the Future Cruise Credits.

What is the incentive for purchasing the FCC instead of simply booking and paying a per person deposit?
You can only purchase an FCC for someone on the cruise on which you purchase them. For instance, if there are only two of you on your cruise, you can only purchase FCCs for the two of you, not children who would accompany you on a future cruise. They aren't transferable.

There are a couple of incentives for purchasing FCCs. One is that except for a world cruise or world cruise segment, your deposit on a cruise is only the $100 FCC. The other incentive is that you receive onboard credit for using the FCC. I get $100-$150 OBC for my FCCs, offsetting the cost of the FCC. The amount of OBC depends on your cabin category and length of the cruise.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Royal Princess -- Copenhagen > NY 9/10/14
Crown Princess -- 10/18/14 BVE
Grand Princess -- LA > HI > LA 2/17/15
OAT African Safari -- 10/5/15
Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise -- 12/3/15

Old April 26th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam in CA View Post
You can only purchase an FCC for someone on the cruise on which you purchase them. For instance, if there are only two of you on your cruise, you can only purchase FCCs for the two of you, not children who would accompany you on a future cruise. They aren't transferable.

There are a couple of incentives for purchasing FCCs. One is that except for a world cruise or world cruise segment, your deposit on a cruise is only the $100 FCC. The other incentive is that you receive onboard credit for using the FCC. I get $100-$150 OBC for my FCCs, offsetting the cost of the FCC. The amount of OBC depends on your cabin category and length of the cruise.
Sounds like a good deal! I think we'll do this on our upcoming cruise.

Thanks you for your help!

Old April 26th, 2012, 10:09 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Sounds like a good deal! I think we'll do this on our upcoming cruise.
Here's a link to the OBC you receive by booking an FCC: http://www.princess.com/learn/answer...uise/board.jsp

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969

Upcoming:

Old April 26th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
I'm new to Princess and have been trying to find out if Princess offers any sort of future cruise credit that you can purchase similar to NCL's cruise reward where you pay for the reward (i.e. NCL you pay $250 for a cruise reward used to book a future cruise - after you get back home - and when you book your next cruise your Cruise Reward will hold the cabin for you at the time of booking.)

Does Princess offer anything like this?

Thanks!
Princess' is just a bit different than NCL.....NCL's cruise credit is transferrable, Princess' is not. And also on NCL they apply the OBC to the current cruise when you purchase the cruise credit, and Princess applies the OBC to the future cruise, not the one you are currently on. If you don't use Princess' credit in the 4 years, it is refunded to you.

Princess' is $100 instead of $250 like on NCL, but you must buy one for each person if you both want the OBC. If you only have 1 FCC on Princess, the second person in the cabin will have to pay their $100 deposit at the time of booking and will not get an OBC. On NCL, you only need to purchase 1 for the OBC and the full deposit.

Celebration, 1998
Carnival Destiny, 1999
Carnival Destiny, 2000
RCCL Serenade of the Seas, 2004
Crown Princess, 2007
Carnival Fantasy, 2008
Ruby Princess, 2008
Carnival Sensation (Abbie), 2009
Carnival Fantasy, 2009
Caribbean Princess, 2009
Carnival Triumph, 2010
Emerald Princess, 2010
Golden Princess (Alaska), 2011
RCCL Voyager of the Seas, 2011
NCL Spirit, 2012
Emerald Princess, 2012
Carnival Freedom (Girls' Trip), 2013
NCL Sun, 2013
NCL Jewel, 2014
Celebrity Summit, 2014

Old April 26th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Hi Pam-
But there really is no "cost" per se for the FCC, is there? The $100 you pay for the FCC is part of your ultimate cruise fare, right? So, my understanding is that it's not just an off-set, but a pure gain of an OBC. Or, am I misunderstanding how this works? Help

Old April 27th, 2012, 12:07 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalong View Post
But there really is no "cost" per se for the FCC, is there? The $100 you pay for the FCC is part of your ultimate cruise fare, right? So, my understanding is that it's not just an off-set, but a pure gain of an OBC. Or, am I misunderstanding how this works? Help
Correct. The $100 is your deposit and lowers the cost of your future cruise by that amount.

The OBC is a "free cash" bonus.

Old April 27th, 2012, 12:08 AM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalong View Post
Hi Pam-
You're right. It's just semantics.

Boston. Strong.

Upcoming:

Old April 27th, 2012, 12:11 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Here's a link to the OBC you receive by booking an FCC: http://www.princess.com/learn/answer...uise/board.jsp
Princess has not updated their web site to reflect the recent changes in the amount of OBC.

Below I have listed the differences between the old and new OBC values. I have listed different time periods than the Princess form so that the OBC for the amount of days is an apples-to-apples comparison. I have listed the per person OBC.

When there is a difference, I have made the better OBC bold.

……………Length……………..Inside………….Oceanview…….Balc ony/Mini/Suite
Old……..7-9 days…………..$25…………………..$50……………………..$50
New…..7-9 days……………$25…………………..$25……………………..$50

Old……..10 days……….…..$75…………………..$100…………………..$100
New…...10 days……………$25…………………..$25……………………..$50

Old……..11-15 days….…..$75…………………..$100…………………..$100
New…..11-15 days…..…..$75…………………..$75..…………………..$100

Old……..16 days……….…..$125………………..$150…………………..$150
New…...16 days……….…..$75…….…………..$75..…………………..$100

Old……..17+ days……….…..$125………………..$150…………………..$150
New…...17+ days……….…..$125…..…………..$125..………………..$150

All Future Cruise Deports made before the change will have the old OBC amounts.

Values on the forms below are per cabin which assumes that two people in the cabin have used Future Cruise Deposits to book the cruise.

Last edited by caribill; April 27th, 2012 at 12:17 AM.

Old April 27th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Lots of great info here! Thank you!

I see above that one part says that a balcony OBC would be $100 and another then the printed form from Princess says $200? Which is more recent/accurate?

Thanks!

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I'm not sure that this got answered. Sorry if it did and I missed it. The deposit per room is assessed as a double, so you need two FCCs per cabin. Otherwise, the second person in the cabin gets charged the full deposit. But if you have a third person in a cabin, you still only need two FCCs for that room. So you should buy 4 FCCs and make sure that when you book your next cruise that the 4 people are divided up so that there are two listed in each cabin. If you were to put three people with FCCs in one cabin, and one person with an FCC in the other cabin, you would get burned. Also, the OBC only accumulates for two people per cabin, so three people with FCCs in the same cabin would not cobble together $150 worth of OBC (assuming $50 OBC per credit). So there is no need to spend money for an FCC for the third person in a cabin.

None of this was very clear to me on my last crusie, but I spoke directly with the crew member in the Future Cruise Lounge who explained it exactly as I have typed it. Hopefully he was right!

Old April 27th, 2012, 11:08 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Lots of great info here! Thank you!

I see above that one part says that a balcony OBC would be $100 and another then the printed form from Princess says $200? Which is more recent/accurate?

Thanks!
Both are accurate.

The $100 is per person.

The $200 is per cabin for two people.

Old April 27th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Do I understand this correctly?

This August I'll be taking a Princess cruise with my Father; First time on Princess for us both. On the cruise I would like to purchase 2 FCCs; one for myself and one for my parter. As my partner will not be on the August cruise I'm not able to purchase 2 FCCs? Only one?