Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old March 28th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Funny ES Question w/Prepaid Gratuities…

Hey All,

We booked our Legend cruise for 4/22/2012 a year ago and pre-paid our gratuities ($10 pp/day = $140).

This morning the cruise went down in price so I filled out the ES form to get the onboard credit. Well when I got the confirmation back I didn’t get as much onboard credit as I thought. When looking at my booking I noticed that we were now being charged the higher pre-paid gratuities ($11.50 pp/day = 161).

Does this seem right? If I call Carnival do I have a chance at reverting back to the $10/ pp/day? I know it’s not a huge amount but I feel that I should only be charged the original fee…

Old March 28th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

If you originally booked with them... YES.

We upgraded our recent cruise cabin and the person gave us a credit for the difference to make it up.
Holiday, 10/2006, 6/2009, 10/2009
Fantasy, 6/2007, 3/2010
Glory, 6/2008
Elation, 7/2010, 10/2010, 12/2010(Platinum), 10/15/2011,(last from Mobile), 10/6/2012, 12/20/2012, 6/15/2013, 10/7/2013.
Triumph, 7/2011
Sunshine 3/2014
Dream 6/2014

Old March 28th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

The same thing happened to me. I have a back to back booked and both weeks' prices dropped a couple of weeks ago. I have gotten a small obc, but not as much as anticipated. Seems a little like the fuel surcharge a couple of years ago. They had to back out of that one, and now have a disclaimer in place to protect themselves. Anyway I decided not to argue it. At least the money is going to the crew and not CCL's pocket.
Dream - May 2010
Freedom - September 2012
Valor B2B- August 2013
Liberty B2B - September 6 & 13, 2015

B2B Again...
...and...

Old March 28th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I was told no...once they started the new amount everyone pays it, and if you prepaid the gratuities the difference would be on your onboard account once you boarded...this way you paid a bit more but won't have a charge waiting for you when you board.

Old March 28th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes it happened to me too on my first ES price drop. I mentioned it to the guy on the phone but they actually screwed ours up so bad by changing the booking to Past Guest rate that we lost our FCC OBC, too. It took over an hour of being mostly on hold while he escalated to his supervisor who then they escalated it to theirs. In the end he got the ES status back on the booking and my OBC back but I forgot about the gratuities. I decided it's not worth the time and I'd more than likely tip extra anyways.

What I'm doing:
Carnival Magic- November 30, 2014 - Western Caribbean - Another 4J on the Lido - Going to Belize, Honduras and Cozumel!
Carnival Freedom- April 4, 2015 - Western Caribbean - My Platinum Cruise (if it was still 10 cruises...) - Going back to Belize, Honduras and Cozumel!

What I've done:
Carnival Conquest - May 7, 2006 - Western Caribbean - First cruise and it's an AFT WRAP!!! Cabin 6452 Then GF now DW Birthday Cruise
Carnival Ecstasy - October 12, 2006 - Western Caribbean- inside cabin... "Is the sun up?" My Birthday Cruise
Carnival Miracle - November 19, 2010 - Southern Caribbean, Grand Turk, DENIED! Too windy to dock - Cabins 6323/6321... Thanksgiving Miracle Family Cruise - Favorite cruise so far!
Carnival Conquest- August 7, 2011 - Western Caribbean - Cabins 8449/8435... Charlie Hodge Halftime Show Comedy Conquest Cruise with the family
Carnival Triumph - April 5, 2012 - Western Caribbean - Cabin 7419 - 4-day to Cozumel, just me and the DW and made great new friends!
Carnival Magic - August 5, 2012 - Western Caribbean - Cabin 8469/8421 - Ernesto couldn't divert us! Diving was incredible!
Carnival Magic - January 13, 2013 - Eastern Caribbean - Lido Inside Cabin 10222 - Cheers! Program was a blast!
Carnival Magic- December 1, 2013 - Western Caribbean - - 4J Cabin 9201 - DW turned Platinum!!!

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 28th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyanns View Post
I was told no...once they started the new amount everyone pays it, and if you prepaid the gratuities the difference would be on your onboard account once you boarded...this way you paid a bit more but won't have a charge waiting for you when you board.
The difference was not on our onboard account in January, we pre-paid and this was grandfathered in.

Visit Carnival.com to see our Caribbean cruises.

Going:
Carnival Pride, Southern Caribbean 03/15/15

Should have gone:
Norwegian Pearl, Southern Caribbean 01/22/15 - canceled by NCL

Gone:
Carnival Freedom, Eastern Caribbean 02/23/13
Carnival Liberty, Western Caribbean 01/29/12
Enchantment of the Seas, Bahamas 05/7/09
Caribbean Princess, Eastern Caribbean 04/20/08
Carnival Destiny, Eastern Caribbean 11/9/97

Old March 28th, 2012, 05:17 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyanns View Post
Actually anyone that prepaid the tip by the one day notice that was given was grandfathered in to the 10.00 per day per pax.

Upcoming Cruise(s):
None
Past Cruises:
CCL Fantasy, Bahamas - December 2010 Christmas Cruise
CCL Dream -W Carib - September 4, 2010
NCL Pearl, Eastern Carib - February 6, 2010
NCL Majesty, Bermuda - May 2009
CCL Sensation Bahamas - December 2008 Christmas Cruise
NCL Majesty Bermuda - June 2008
NCL Majesty Bermuda - November 2007
CCL Fantasy Bahamas - November 2002
CCL Victory Bahamas - May 2001
NCL Crown Bermuda - September 1998
NCL Dream Bermuda - September 1997
CCL Jubilee Mexican Riviera - April 1990
CP Empress of Canada - 1966 (prior to being Mardi Gras)

Old March 28th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

My price drop wasn't about gratuities but about gov. fees and taxes. On my 1st price drop which was the lesser amount of my price drops, my gov. fees and taxes went up. On my 2nd and 3rd price drops, my gov. fees and taxes stayed the same. It didn't make sense to me, but hey, I am still saving about $300. I would still like to know what's up with this. Did this happen to anyone else? You would think the gov. fees and taxes would have went up on the 2nd price drop.

2001 Carnival Inspiration
2004 Carnival Conquest
2012 Carnival Conquest
2013 Navigator of the Seas

Old March 28th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISE4JANE View Post
My price drop wasn't about gratuities but about gov. fees and taxes. On my 1st price drop which was the lesser amount of my price drops, my gov. fees and taxes went up. On my 2nd and 3rd price drops, my gov. fees and taxes stayed the same. It didn't make sense to me, but hey, I am still saving about $300. I would still like to know what's up with this. Did this happen to anyone else? You would think the gov. fees and taxes would have went up on the 2nd price drop.
The taxes on my price drop went up as well.

Old March 28th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschlink View Post
Hey All,

We booked our Legend cruise for 4/22/2012 a year ago and pre-paid our gratuities ($10 pp/day = $140).

This morning the cruise went down in price so I filled out the ES form to get the onboard credit. Well when I got the confirmation back I didn’t get as much onboard credit as I thought. When looking at my booking I noticed that we were now being charged the higher pre-paid gratuities ($11.50 pp/day = 161).

Does this seem right? If I call Carnival do I have a chance at reverting back to the $10/ pp/day? I know it’s not a huge amount but I feel that I should only be charged the original fee…
as long as you prepaid before 10/31/11, you were grandfathered. yes, call carnival.

Old March 28th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Both happened to me. I booked ES and when I submitted my first price drop it came back approved but tips went from 140 to 161 & government taxes & fees went up from 126 or 8 to 135.18. I emailed Carnival back about this. No response. I called my PVP at Carnival & was told to resubmit the form & put all this in the comments. I did. No response. I also asked John Heald. No response. I asked a carnival rep while on the phone about another matter. She said I dont know. I went to Carnival's forums & submitted this as a question under "looking for carnival assisstance" I got one reply that nicely said read the early saver rules & anytime they have to recalculate your cruise summary it will be redone with the then current taxes fees & tips. The second response said.. Its your own money they are refunding its not like your price is going up( Duh..) they applied it to your fees & I should feel lucky I didnt have to pay the increase & be more appreciative of any obc. ( I really dont think that was an actual carnival rep that made the last comment) But I was offended regardless. So I gave up. Figured I had exhausted all options. It really wasnt about the money as I had called pvp prior to all this & asked if I could give her an extra 21 for the tips that I had noticed they had gone up now & she refused saying she couldnt but I could always tip more when onboard. That the tips were correct & billed according to when I booked.
I've received several price drops since then & cringe when I submit them as I'm now fearful instead of an obc I might get a bill. Yesterday I got a price drop approved I had requested & I received 21 dollars too much. On my summary it says...Credit/Coupon $21.??????????
Soooo I'm wondering has there been enough questioning on this that they are now refunding this? Do I have a secret benefactor that gave me $21? Do I dare ask about this? Would I even get an answer if I did? I would have really just liked to have understood the right procedure vs the wrong one. Dont dare post as a thread & give all the critics another chance at blasting me for not being appreciative of the obc I receive as deserved for booking according to ES program.