Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Digital Photography & Cruise Technology > Photo & Camera Discussions

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Photo & Camera Discussions

Old March 21st, 2012, 07:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

The D700's hotshoe can loosen under the weight of the SB-900. This is a widely reported, common problem among wedding photogs who shoot with the D700. The problem creates misfiring. I was one of the many unfortunate ones who has had this problem, while some have reported no problem. Neither the grip nor the type of lens you have on the camera at the time have anything to do with it. By virtue of how we work, this problem is likely more prevalent with wedding photographers in particular. And since we aren't given the opportunity for a "do-over," it's kinda critical we don't have flash misfiring issues. Others have reported overheating with the SB-900, to the point of having the flash completely ruined. This again is entirely dependent on one's shooting style...I personally do not machine gun my camera and flash through an entire dimly lit reception. Some do. Enthusiasts who use their flash "lightly" might never experience these issues.

One of the many links you can find related to this topic: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37799429

With regard to the OP, the D800 IMO would be ideal for a studio/landscape/commercial shooter who needs to be able to print large format. Whether or not it's worth it to you is totally up to preference, really.

I'd still rather the D4 for what I do, but am content with my current setup!

Last edited by CynthiaRose; March 21st, 2012 at 07:40 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:34 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaRose View Post
The D700's hotshoe can loosen under the weight of the SB-900. This is a widely reported, common problem among wedding photogs who shoot with the D700. The problem creates misfiring. I was one of the many unfortunate ones who has had this problem, while some have reported no problem. Neither the grip nor the type of lens you have on the camera at the time have anything to do with it. By virtue of how we work, this problem is likely more prevalent with wedding photographers in particular. And since we aren't given the opportunity for a "do-over," it's kinda critical we don't have flash misfiring issues. Others have reported overheating with the SB-900, to the point of having the flash completely ruined. This again is entirely dependent on one's shooting style...I personally do not machine gun my camera and flash through an entire dimly lit reception. Some do. Enthusiasts who use their flash "lightly" might never experience these issues.

One of the many links you can find related to this topic: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=37799429

With regard to the OP, the D800 IMO would be ideal for a studio/landscape/commercial shooter who needs to be able to print large format. Whether or not it's worth it to you is totally up to preference, really.

Thanks for sharing that.

I am planning on upgrading my D7000 to either the D700 or the D800 later this year. I was unaware of that problem with the D700. I do graphic design as a paid hobby, but I have been asked and done several different events including a wedding and I need something better with low light if I continue (I setup portable lighting for the wedding--It was outdoors at 4pm in December).

I consider myself to be an amateur photographer, but I'm excellent with Photoshop and have relied on my skills in that for this other work I have been doing. I think I am building up my skills enough with the camera that I can warrant upgrading to a full frame towards the end of the year.

It will always be a hobby, but it's a nice way to pay for better equipment.

"Wisdom is conspicuous through modesty & silence" - but it makes for a boring message board.

Photo Gallery - http://www.flickr.com/photos/therealdanielfamily/
Learn About Me - http://www.about.me/curtisleedaniel

RCI - Majesty of the Seas 9/06 - Bahamas
RCI - Sovereign of the Seas 5/07 - Bahamas
RCI - Mariner of the Seas 9/07 - Western Caribbean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas 11/07 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI - Navigator of the Seas 3/08 - Western Caribbean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas 9/08 - Eastern Caribbean - We survived Hurricane Hanna!
RCI - Voyager of the Seas 11/08 - Western Mediterranean
RCI - Liberty of the Seas 9/09 - Eastern Caribbean -- Review
RCI - Monarch of the Seas 7/10 - Bahamas -- Review
RCI - Freedom of the Seas 8/10 - Eastern Caribbean / No Wait! It's Western Now. -- Review
RCI - Grandeur of the Seas 10/10 - Western Caribbean -- Review
RCI - Radiance of the Seas 12/10 - Western Caribbean -- Review
RCI - Jewel of the Seas 4/11 - Southern Caribbean -- Review
RCI - Freedom of the Seas 9/12 - Western Caribbean -- "First Family Cruise" -- Review
RCI - Navigator of the Seas 12/12 - Western Caribbean -- No Review
RCI - Oasis of the Seas 11/13 - Eastern Caribbean - Review Coming Soon

Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:31 AM
5,000+ Club

Ah, likely going to be a problem on any of the Nikons as that mount looks the same Dx or Dxxx, even on the Dxxxx I've own look the same. Will make me rethink my practice of throwing my D3s with Sb900 and 2.8 in a knapsnack for a day of casual shooting, so far no issues. Makes sense now those brackets I see often used:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynthiaRose View Post

Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

It seems to be an issue primarily concerning the D700 and not other bodies due to slight differences in hotshoe design.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:37 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Pub...or-performance

DxO score is in. So far it's just the highest score they have done.

Time to start saving, I guess (checks wallet. . . Sighs)

"Wisdom is conspicuous through modesty & silence" - but it makes for a boring message board.

Photo Gallery - http://www.flickr.com/photos/therealdanielfamily/
Learn About Me - http://www.about.me/curtisleedaniel

RCI - Majesty of the Seas 9/06 - Bahamas
RCI - Sovereign of the Seas 5/07 - Bahamas
RCI - Mariner of the Seas 9/07 - Western Caribbean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas 11/07 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI - Navigator of the Seas 3/08 - Western Caribbean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas 9/08 - Eastern Caribbean - We survived Hurricane Hanna!
RCI - Voyager of the Seas 11/08 - Western Mediterranean
RCI - Liberty of the Seas 9/09 - Eastern Caribbean -- Review
RCI - Monarch of the Seas 7/10 - Bahamas -- Review
RCI - Freedom of the Seas 8/10 - Eastern Caribbean / No Wait! It's Western Now. -- Review
RCI - Grandeur of the Seas 10/10 - Western Caribbean -- Review
RCI - Radiance of the Seas 12/10 - Western Caribbean -- Review
RCI - Jewel of the Seas 4/11 - Southern Caribbean -- Review
RCI - Freedom of the Seas 9/12 - Western Caribbean -- "First Family Cruise" -- Review
RCI - Navigator of the Seas 12/12 - Western Caribbean -- No Review
RCI - Oasis of the Seas 11/13 - Eastern Caribbean - Review Coming Soon

Old April 11th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

The D3 D3s and the D700 & d3x are so good already what the point of needing more. Few will need better. If you can't get one of those bodies then consider D4 or D800.

I seen a lot of D3x images in the 40 x 60 inch size and they are stellar. Do we realy need to do better?

IMHO the D800 is a bargain, will I ever buy it NO.

I currently use a D3s

framer

Framer was at Hubbard Glacier May 27th 2012 Sapphire Princess

When on the CB Oct 29th the great flood of NY, all car flooded at Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

San Francisco sail away April 2013.

Newport RI, harbor, city September 2013.

Grenada, Grand Anse Beach, March 24, 2014

Old April 11th, 2012, 06:10 PM
5,000+ Club

Like you I shoot a D3s, I gave the D4 and the D800 a go.

The improvement if you peep with quality glass is something else with the D800 at base ISO

The D4 impressed me enough I'm on the waiting list. It might suprise you the number one reason, the faster FPS. At least in the store I couldn't see measurable IQ improvement that others are claiming, nor test if the AF is better, but early accounts sounds postive. My spot likely won't come up on the list till the Olympics are out so there will be lots of reviews by than. For sports shooting an additional FPS and faster focus believe it or not is worth 6K for a few of us crazy shooter

Why, So I can get more shots like this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by framer View Post
The D3 D3s and the D700 & d3x are so good already what the point of needing more. Few will need better. If you can't get one of those bodies then consider D4 or D800.

I seen a lot of D3x images in the 40 x 60 inch size and they are stellar. Do we realy need to do better?

IMHO the D800 is a bargain, will I ever buy it NO.

I currently use a D3s

framer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc_0453.jpg (11.1 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by chipmaster; April 11th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.

Old April 12th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Terry,

Though there has been mention of the D800 having a larger sensor, it hasn't been made specific that the D800 has an FX sensor and the D3100 a smaller DX sensor. The relevance of this is that if your existing lenses are designed to work with the DX sensor then using them on the D800 will crop the image. Therefore it may not only be the cost of the new body, you might have to buy new lenses also!

It's explained here:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Ex...X-Formats.html

Paul S

Old April 12th, 2012, 10:35 AM
10,000+ Club

Default Amazing Camera Developments, Times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Terry, Though there has been mention of the D800 having a larger sensor, it hasn't been made specific that the D800 has an FX sensor and the D3100 a smaller DX sensor. The relevance of this is that if your existing lenses are designed to work with the DX sensor then using them on the D800 will crop the image. Therefore it may not only be the cost of the new body, you might have to buy new lenses also! It's explained here:
http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Ex...X-Formats.html
Paul S
THANKS, Paul, for the added info! YES, there are some serious challenges and questions on the FX versus DX size, lens impacts, etc. Right now, I'm very happy with my D3100, what it does for my needs and budget, etc. In talking with a friend this week, I told him about the upcoming Nikon D3200 and he was pretty blown away by what that camera will deliver for the price. Right now, I'm more focused on getting a better fixed lens that allows better quality in low-light situations. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 72,800 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:
http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s....php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 65,404 views.
http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s....php?t=1227923

Old April 12th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Terry,

When I upgraded from a D70S I thought about a D700, but as that's a full frame and I couldn't afford to replace my lenses I settled for a D300 with which I'm very happy.

For most of us the number of pixels isn't as important as the quality of the optics and size of the sensor. Unless you are a pro it's probably unlikely you'll be enlarging to a size where you'll need or even make use of 36 MP. Of course, it's always nice to have the latest and best gear you can afford!

Paul S