Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Friends of Cruise Critic > Sunshine Sailors

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 28th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Introductions.

HI

First post in our subforum. Let's get cracking. How about we get to know each other a little?

My name is Patricia. I go by Trish or Tricia (not Patty!)

I am 23 years old. I'm a full time EMT and hope to start working on a nursing degree next year. I'm an only child and live with/help take care of my Mom. I also take care of my little cousin on my days off because my grandpa (his caregiver while his mom works) is sick

I live in Orlando and have my whole entire life. I like it here.

I first cruised the ecstasy in November and will be boarding the glory in November and the ecstasy again in December.

Aside from cruising I'm an avid reader and trashy tv watcher.

So who are you?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 28th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm Kathy, and I'm a long-time Carnival cruiser. I live in Lutz, a town just a stone's throw north of Tampa. I'm a fifty-something high school English teacher and have lived in the same area all my life.

I'm married to my best friend Dave who transplanted himself from the UP of Michigan to Florida during the hottest summer ever. We've been married for 12 years and will celebrate number 13 in June.

2012 has been awful to the ahoys so far and we are really hoping for an upturn soon. Mom has been in hospitals/nursing homes since the first week of January, and we're looking for assisted living for her in the area. While dealing with Mom's health issues, Dave's dad had emergency gall bladder surgery in Michigan. Thankfully, his dad's recovery is coming along very well!

I've got a cruise booked very soon. My best college friend Letha and her mom Anita and I are cruising on the Destiny on March 10. Even though Carnival's records say this will be my 25th, it's really my 30th cruise on Carnival. This has been a very tough school year, and I'm going to enjoy this Spring Break trip!

Dave and I usually spend our anniversary on a cruise, but this year we're going in July. I couldn't decide which ship for this one until the Fun Ship 2.0 upgrades were announced. That made my decision easy--Carnival Liberty on July 7th to Half Moon Cay, San Juan, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk. It will be stifling hot, but I'm going to enjoy it. We've got an aft wrap and plan on spending most of our time on our big private balcony. Oh yeah!

I love reading really long reviews, and especially the ones with lots of photos. Dave and I are amateur photographers and are really getting into the creative aspect of composition, lighting, and editing. After my Destiny cruise, I'm hoping to bore everyone with an awfully long, picture-heavy review.

I watch way too much tv, especially those really bad reality shows. I love reading books by Randy Wayne White, Tim Dorsey, Tom Corcoran, and other Florida mystery writers.

Thanks, Trish, for starting our Central Florida forum. It's great to have a group like this!!
Kathy My Cruise Collection: Costa Flavia – 6/81; NCL Sunward II – 7/84, Holiday – 7/86; Celebration – 6/88, 7/92; Jubilee – 7/89; Fantasy – 7/90, 10/97, 11/00, 5/04; Ecstasy – 7/91, 1/94, 6/96, 10/98; NCL Sunward – 3/92; Carnivale – 10/92; Regent Rainbow – 3/93; Monarch of the Seas – 7/93; Tropicale – 7/95; Sensation – 6/99, 6/13; Paradise – 5/00, 9/03; Imagination – 6/01; Carnival Victory – 3/02, 3/14; Carnival Miracle – 11/04; Carnival Liberty-11/05, 7/12 (Milestone); Grandeur of the Seas--12/05; Inspiration --11/06, 10/08, 10/10; Carnival Spirit--6/07 : Carnival Freedom--4/08; Carnival Triumph --6/09; Carnival Destiny--7/09, 3/12; Carnival Fascination--6/11; Carnival Breeze--11/12; Carnival Legend--11/13

Up Next:
??

Old February 28th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoys View Post
I'm Kathy, and I'm a long-time Carnival cruiser. I live in Lutz, a town just a stone's throw north of Tampa. I'm a fifty-something high school English teacher and have lived in the same area all my life.

I'm married to my best friend Dave who transplanted himself from the UP of Michigan to Florida during the hottest summer ever. We've been married for 12 years and will celebrate number 13 in June.

2012 has been awful to the ahoys so far and we are really hoping for an upturn soon. Mom has been in hospitals/nursing homes since the first week of January, and we're looking for assisted living for her in the area. While dealing with Mom's health issues, Dave's dad had emergency gall bladder surgery in Michigan. Thankfully, his dad's recovery is coming along very well!

I've got a cruise booked very soon. My best college friend Letha and her mom Anita and I are cruising on the Destiny on March 10. Even though Carnival's records say this will be my 25th, it's really my 30th cruise on Carnival. This has been a very tough school year, and I'm going to enjoy this Spring Break trip!

Dave and I usually spend our anniversary on a cruise, but this year we're going in July. I couldn't decide which ship for this one until the Fun Ship 2.0 upgrades were announced. That made my decision easy--Carnival Liberty on July 7th to Half Moon Cay, San Juan, St. Thomas, and Grand Turk. It will be stifling hot, but I'm going to enjoy it. We've got an aft wrap and plan on spending most of our time on our big private balcony. Oh yeah!

I love reading really long reviews, and especially the ones with lots of photos. Dave and I are amateur photographers and are really getting into the creative aspect of composition, lighting, and editing. After my Destiny cruise, I'm hoping to bore everyone with an awfully long, picture-heavy review.

I watch way too much tv, especially those really bad reality shows. I love reading books by Randy Wayne White, Tim Dorsey, Tom Corcoran, and other Florida mystery writers.

Thanks, Trish, for starting our Central Florida forum. It's great to have a group like this!!
I love really bad reality. It's a secret guilty pleasure. I'm waiting for dance moms to come on and for the new episode of teen mom to hit on demand. I can't help it! It's sooooo bad that its good.

What do you teach? My mom was a teacher

I was actually looking at getting into photography as a hobby but my partners wife is a professional photographer and showed me all that was involved with taking good pictures.... I would throw the camera in frustration! Apparently they're really expensive so I figure that is not a hobby for me!

Sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she recovers soon!

Last edited by TriciaEMTB; February 28th, 2012 at 07:21 PM.

Old February 28th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oh duh. I fail reading comprehension. High school English.

Old February 28th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yep. High school English. I teach the two extremes--regular English 1 (the lowest level) for freshmen, and AP English Language (Advanced Placement) for juniors. My juniors help save the day for me....

I can't complain too much about my schedule, though. I'm the department head, so I gave myself the dang schedule!

I really don't know what to think about those dance moms. I keep watching, thinking, "Why am I watching this?" But I keep watching....

Same goes for Toddlers and Tiaras or whatever that one is called.

On the other hand, I don't mind telling people that I like Amazing Race. If this season didn't have Rachel from Big Brother on it, I'd really be happy.

Thanks for the good wishes about my mom!

Kathy
Kathy My Cruise Collection: Costa Flavia – 6/81; NCL Sunward II – 7/84, Holiday – 7/86; Celebration – 6/88, 7/92; Jubilee – 7/89; Fantasy – 7/90, 10/97, 11/00, 5/04; Ecstasy – 7/91, 1/94, 6/96, 10/98; NCL Sunward – 3/92; Carnivale – 10/92; Regent Rainbow – 3/93; Monarch of the Seas – 7/93; Tropicale – 7/95; Sensation – 6/99, 6/13; Paradise – 5/00, 9/03; Imagination – 6/01; Carnival Victory – 3/02, 3/14; Carnival Miracle – 11/04; Carnival Liberty-11/05, 7/12 (Milestone); Grandeur of the Seas--12/05; Inspiration --11/06, 10/08, 10/10; Carnival Spirit--6/07 : Carnival Freedom--4/08; Carnival Triumph --6/09; Carnival Destiny--7/09, 3/12; Carnival Fascination--6/11; Carnival Breeze--11/12; Carnival Legend--11/13

Up Next:
??

Old February 28th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Aaarghhh!!! Rachel!!! I cannot watch the amazing race because of her. I wanted to reach through and smack her during BB.

I feel the same way about my schedule. I picked it. Can't complain. But I hate it while I'm working.

Old February 28th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Kathy and Trisha,
I'm Angela from Orlando. DH is a rare breed, a native of Orlando, just like you, Trisha. We meet in college and have made our home here for the past 25 years! We first cruised in 2006 - a short 3 day jaunt to the Bahamas in January. We had terrible weather and I was sick the entire time. Needless, to say, we didn't try another cruise for awhile.

In 2010, we booked a Thanksgiving cruise on the Liberty and had the time of our lives. We were hooked. Since then, we've done 7-8 day cruises on the Carnival Miracle, Crown Princess and again on the Liberty, my favorite ship!
I have 3 more cruises booked this year, a girl's cruise with my sister and nieces on the Sensation in June, on the Paradise with my mom in October, the Freedom 8 Day Exotic Southern during Thanksgiving with our son and daughter in law. Next February, we have booked cruise no. 3 on the Liberty and will book another girl's cruise in late May - and hopefully an Alaskan cruise in July.

We've met some wonderful people on our cruises, some of whom we still keep in contact with through Facebook, etc.

IMHO, cruising is the perfect vacation. All I have to do is pack and drive to the ports. Everything is done for me from there. You can't beat that!!

Looking forward to sharing with this group. Thanks for setting us up, Trisha!!

Blessings!

Last edited by pianogal83; February 28th, 2012 at 09:13 PM.

Old February 28th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Angela!

Our favorite cruise so far is the Alaskan cruise we took on the Spirit in 2007. The wildlife and scenery were incredible! I hope you'll get to go to Alaska. Like you, my first cruise wasn't terrific. I cruised with 9 sorority sisters, so we actually had a good time, but the cruise itself was not good at all. It wasn't until my first Carnival cruise 5 years later that I found my addiction.

When DH Dave and I were engaged and planning our wedding and honeymoon, I tried to persuade him that cruising would be a fabulous honeymoon. He wasn't convinced. He thought he'd be bored being stuck on a ship with no way off.

We took a quick 3-day weekend trip on the Ecstasy just to see if he'd like cruising at all. Well, he loved it--was a bit depressed on that last morning when he knew he'd have to leave the ship. I knew it!

So, we took a seven-day western Caribbean trip on the Sensation out of Tampa. I don't exactly love the Sensation, but I still have a sentimental attachment to it.

Enjoy the rest of the week, ladies--hope we have more members stop by our little group!

Up Next:
??

Old February 29th, 2012, 05:47 AM
5,000+ Club

My name is Ruth, but answer to Elaine, my middle name. As of September of 2011, I became a retired R.N. (couldn't do it any more with so many changes and legal regulations). Somehow nursing isn't what it used to be. I was in geriatrics.
Cruised over the years with my now ex. Alaska on Carnival Spirit, partial Panama Canal on MSC, Caribbean with Celebrity. Now, a Carnival junkie with Sensation solo, Ecstasy in Nov. twice, Liberty in Dec.
Life is on hold now, my ex is very ill with pain and breathing ailments, the docs are leaning towards mesothelioma. He's now living under my roof when he's not in the hospital.
I have to think of my future, I'm 67, lived in Florida (started in Clearwater the first 9 years just off the infamous U.S. 19.) for over 20 years. I have no family here, may need to move back north at some point, but don't want to go.
My cruising likely will be short ones on sale from Canaveral as I have no consistant roomie, so have to pay double. Once in a while I go with a roomie from Georgia, but she can't cruise at the drop of a hat due to traveling here. We did Ecstasy late Nov., then drove to Miami for Liberty.
That's all I can think of at this time of day.

Old February 29th, 2012, 06:57 AM
10,000+ Club

Hello everyone, my name is Mike and my better half is Laurie. We live in DeLand. I am originally from Pittsburgh, Pa and Laurie is from Massapequa, Long Island, New York, but we have been in Centrsal Florida since the mid 70's. Laurie is a hair stylist and I work in a Pawn Shop Our favorite cruise so far has been the southern caribbean itinerary on the Caribbean Princess. Wish Carnival would do that itinerary (Dominica, Grenada, Aruba, Bonaire). Lets plan a sail away party sometime at Port Canaveral for those that live within an hour or so from there and maybe one from Tampa for those that are close to there. What does everyone think?

7 Norwegian Star, October 2003 Hawaii
7 Carnival Glory, October, 2005 Eastern Caribbean
7 Carnival Triumph, May 2006 Western Caribbean
7 Carnival Miracle, Western Caribbean Valentines on the Miracle 2007
4 Carnival Imagination, Western Caribbean, February 2008
7 Carnival Freedom, Eastern Caribbean, April 2008 Freedom Floaters
4 Carnival Destiny, Key West & Cozumel. October 2008
4 Carnival Destiny, Key West & Cozumel, February 2009
7 Carnival Legend, Laurie's 50th Birthday Bash, Western Caribbean, May 17,2009
4 Monarch of the Seas, Nassau & Coco Cay, October 2009, our first RCL Cruise
8 Carnival Miracle Southern Caribbean, Jan 2010
7 Carnival Glory, Our Platinum Cruise, May 2010
7 Carnival Dream, Dreamin with the Crazies, November 2010
7 Caribbean Princess, Southern Caribbean Explorer, Jan 2011
7 Carnival Dream, Western Caribbean, Oct 2011
4 Carnival Destiny, Key West & Cozumel, February 2012

4 Monarch of the Seas, Nassau & Coco Cay, October 2012
4 Carnival Paradise, Cozumel, Mar 2013
7 Carnival Dream, 10th Anniversary, October 2013
3 Majesty of the Seas, Nassau & Coco Cay, January 2014
Nextup: 8 Carnival Miracle, Alaska , September 2014
116 Days at Sea

Old February 29th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hey there!

I'm Julia (26), my DH is Eddie (26). We've been married 1 year, but together for 9. I've been on 3 cruises, my 4th is coming up in 9 days!

We're both originally from Long Island, moved down here 5 years ago. We started out in Zephyrhills, which was awful (no offense to anyone that might live there, I just can't deal with the slow driving of the snowbirds!). In September we bought our very own home in Wesley Chapel and we absolutely love it! We like to drive to the port in Tampa on weekends and watch all the happy cruisers.

I'm a manager at a bank and my husband also works in the banking industry. Not much fun, but it pays the bills.

Since moving into our new home, we haven't had TV (we just watch HULU). It bums me out because I can't watch my favorite guilty pleasure...the Kardashians! lol

Thanks for setting up this forum!

Carnival Liberty - 01/11 honeymoon cruise
Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Miracle - 04/07 family reunion
Western Caribbean
Carnival Victory - 02/02 Sweet 16 cruise
Western Caribbean

Old February 29th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Winter Haven here!

Hi everyone!
I'm Mark and my wife is Melody. I moved here in 1985 to start a business. Went out of business and have been driving for UPS since 1990. Melody is a native floridian and grew up in Sarasota.
Melody had cruised in a previous life and loved it. We have been together since 93 and she finally got me on the Legend in 2009. I was hooked! We've been back on the Legend, sailed on the Dream, the Inspiration(my wife twice) and we are booked on the Breeze next Feb.
When people ask me why we like cruising I tell them "Because I don't have to do anything!!!". We drive to the port and that's it!

Thank you for starting this forum!
Mark

Old February 29th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

I would love this itinerary. I looked at this on Princess many times. I was on Bonaire twice in the 70's. I wouldn't leave the water. I was snorkeling every chance I got. Best diving and snorkeling in the Caribbean. Grenada always just sounded exotic to me hey it's the isle of spice!

Mark

Old February 29th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hello Sunshine Sailors, I'm Chris and wife is Deb. We're in our late 40's and love cruising. We live in Spring Hill, work in Tampa, raised in Seminole/Largo area which is why I put "Tampa Bay" in my location. Our first cruise was back in 93 which was a 3 day and we were caught in a "No Name" storm. We didn't think much of cruising back then. In 2007 we went on the Liberty and that hooked us. Our favorite ship so far is the Freedom but we'll be trying the Dream in Oct this year. I think this will be a great forum.

Carnival Carnivale 3/1993
Carnival Liberty 6/2007
Carnival Freedom (5) 11/2009, 10/2011, 8/2012, 2/2013, 2/2014
Carnival Legend 7/2010
Carnival Paradise 1/2012
Carnival Dream (2) 10/2012, 8/2013

Old February 29th, 2012, 10:09 AM
5,000+ Club

Nice work Tricia!! Great name! Glad to see this up and running.

I'm Stephen. My DW is Kathryn; she 's the one starting the cruising kick we're on. She and her sister just got off the Legend 2 weeks ago. We live in Tallahassee where I work for the State and she just recently "retired" from a major department store chain and will soon be going part time helping at a friends salon. Our next cruise is in mid April on the Liberty, Eastern Caribbean then we'll join a bunch of folks on the new Breeze right after Thanksgiving for a Southern 8 day we're really looking forward to.

I put up the idea of hitting PC at a Dream sail away, partially as a joke to another poster who is sailing out on th eday I suggested. But since my cruise buddy Mike has sorta seconded the notion, if that's what gets decided, we'll make a effort to be there, depending on the actual dates (hopefully not a day one of the Sunhiners is on board though)
Carnival Dream, January 2010
Carnival Dream, May 2010
Carnival Dream, June 2011
Carnival Liberty April 2012
Carnival Breeze, November 2012

Old February 29th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi everybody! I do like the idea of having more than one meet-up. Dave and I love to get in the car and go, so I can see us joining you guys in Canaveral. Of course, meeting up in the Tampa area is very convenient for us.

When daylight savings comes, I want to go to Pier 60 in Clearwater for a sunset celebration. That might be a good spot (maybe dinner at Frenchy's?)

Up Next:
??

Old February 29th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Greetings from Plant City, Winter Strawberry Capital of the World, SA-LUTE! (Where's my Hee Haw fans?)

I'm Tami. I'm 41 and I'm a court reporter. My hubby is Tim. I think his user name is 1PCruiser. He's an electrician and works in Orlando.

We have three kids but have only cruised with them once on Disney. We're looking at taking a seven-day with them next summer. We usually try to cruise every year by ourselves. We like to call it "date night." We don't ever go out on dates. We just save them up and go on a cruise. LOL

Oh, and I'm addicted to the Real Housewives. I watch Alcatraz and Parenthood. I think everything else I watch is reality TV. I really don't want to have to think or pay attention when I watch TV, so reality TV is right up my alley.
Emerald Seas 1982 ~ Emerald Seas 1992 ~ Majesty of the Seas 1993 ~ Big Red Boat 1996 ~ Carnival Fascination 2006 ~ Carnival Inspiration 2006 ~ Carnival Valor 2008 ~ Disney Wonder 2009 ~ Carnival Destiny 2010 ~ Carnival Destiny 2010 ~ Carnival Freedom 2010 ~ Carnival Imagination 2011 ~ Carnival Sensation 2011 ~ Carnival Imagination 2012 ~ Carnival Paradise 2012 ~ Carnival Victory 2013 ~ Carnival Breeze 2014

Old February 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Plant City? I will be there during the strawberry festival!

Old March 1st, 2012, 01:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Everyone, My name is Richie and I live in Orlando. Born in Long Island NY and moved to Florida when I was 12. I just turned 35 last month. I am divorced and have 2 kids that I am fighting for custody of. I work for Osceola county FD as a Firefighter/EMT and am currently in medic school. I used to play Professional Roller Hockey and Minor Pro Ice hockey. Only been on 1 carnival cruise. I mainly sail RCCL. Dont hate me, lol.
Disney Wonder - September 2005
Sovereign Of The Seas - October 2006
Monarch Of The Seas- February 2009
Monarch Of The Seas- March 2012
Freedom Of The Seas- June 2014

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hello future neighbors
I am Tony 35 and am moving to the Tampa area for work in April, my DW Carolyn and DD Lorna (6) and Lilly-Anne (7mos) will becoming to join me sometime in July. We cruised on our honeymoon in 2002 on Victory and have been on Voyager OTS, Miracle twice and Victory once again and are booke don Legend in Decemeber for our 10th anniversary

Will be staying with my cousins in Wesley Chappel when i first get down there and begin to look for a home so am open to any and all suggestions of areas to look for and AVOID lol. saw some great homs in Spring Hill just not sure of the commute....

Carnival Victory 8-3-02 Western Caribean
Voyager of the Seas 5-04 Western Caribean
Carnival Victoy 8-2-07 Canada ( 5th Aniv)
Carnival Miracle 5-17-08 Eastern Caribean
Carnival Miracle 5-24-09 Eastern Caribean