Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > South America

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 26th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Ushuaia excursions

Has anybody taken the "Train to the end of the world " tou in Ushuaia?

What did you think of it and is it worthwhile?

Any other suggestions for Ushuaia excursions?

Thanks for your help.

Old February 26th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

jayjaycan, here is what I in my review of the excursion we took January 2, 2012.

Ushuaia is a beautiful city. We got on a bus and travelled about an hour to a train station to board the Southern Fuegian Railway or “End of the World Train”. Along the way we passed the world’s most southern most golf course (were told it was $90 for 9 holes). We got to the train station and boarded the train. We were seated in bench seats facing those across from us. It was a pleasant train ride with nice views and a there is a narration of the history of the train which was originally built to transport prisoners out to the forest to cut down trees. After the train ride, we rode for a short while to Ensenada Bay which was picturesque. Then back to Ushuaia for some shopping. This tour was OK but not our favorite and kind of overpriced. We wondered if we should have taken the Beagle Channel tour by boat instead.

If you are a railroad enthusiast would probably be an interesting tour. If you are interested, you can see pictures of the excursion using the following link as it may give you a better idea of what it was like. Ushuaia begins around picture 236.

http://smengelt.shutterfly.com/1665
Grand Princess 2/15 (Hawaii), Caribbean Princess 11/14 (W. CRB), Viking Freya 12/13 (Heart of Germany), Sapphire Princess 4/13 (Coastal), Ruby Princess 12/12 (CRB), Viking Pride (Paris/Normandy) 10/12, Star Princess 12/11 (S. America), Caribbean Princess 5/11 (CRB), Sapphire Princess 2/11 (MEX), Emerald Princess 12/10 (CRB), Viking Sky 11/10 (Danube), Golden Princes 5/10 (Coastal), Vision of the Seas 2/09 (CRB), Crown Princess 12/08 (CRB) ,Crown Princess 8/08 (Scandinavia and Russia), Golden Princess 3/08 (MEX), Island Princess 12/07 (PAN CANAL), Emerald Princess 5/07(MED) , Grand Princess 2/07 (W. CRB), Viking Surkov 8/06 (RUSSIA), Sapphire Princess 3/06 (MEX), Golden Princess 12/05 (S. CRB), Viking Century Star 5/05 (CHINA), Sea Voyager 12/04 (PAN CANAL), Splendour of the Seas 10/04 (MED), Golden Princess 3/04 (E. CRB), Polaris 5/03 (GALAPAGOS), Sovereign of the Seas 3/03 (BAHAMAS), Norwegian Sun 12/02 (W. CRB), Legend of the Seas 5/02 (ALASKA), Norway 12/01 (E. CRB), Miriam 5/01 (EGYPT), Sunbird 3/00 (S. CRB), Song of America 3/98(MEX)

Old February 27th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle76 View Post
jayjaycan, here is what I in my review of the excursion we took January 2, 2012.

Ushuaia is a beautiful city. We got on a bus and travelled about an hour to a train station to board the Southern Fuegian Railway or “End of the World Train”. Along the way we passed the world’s most southern most golf course (were told it was $90 for 9 holes). We got to the train station and boarded the train. We were seated in bench seats facing those across from us. It was a pleasant train ride with nice views and a there is a narration of the history of the train which was originally built to transport prisoners out to the forest to cut down trees. After the train ride, we rode for a short while to Ensenada Bay which was picturesque. Then back to Ushuaia for some shopping. This tour was OK but not our favorite and kind of overpriced. We wondered if we should have taken the Beagle Channel tour by boat instead.

If you are a railroad enthusiast would probably be an interesting tour. If you are interested, you can see pictures of the excursion using the following link as it may give you a better idea of what it was like. Ushuaia begins around picture 236.

http://smengelt.shutterfly.com/1665
Is there anyway to do this tour independently as our ship does not do the train excursion?
Kathy

Old February 27th, 2012, 11:44 AM
5,000+ Club

Just seen on the BBC that the Argentaian Authorities have refused a ship entrance tonthis port because it had previously called at the Falkland Islands. Don't know which ship but they had to move on to a port in Chile instead.

MSC Armonia - Las palmas to Venice - Mar 14
Costa Fortuna - Arabian Gulf - jan 14
MSC Musica - Eastern Med & Black Sea - Oct 13
MSC Orchestra - Western Med - Aug 13
MSC Sinfonia - Western Med - May 13
Costa Atlantica - Arabian Gulf - Mar 13
MSC Musica - Greek Isles - Sept 12
MSC Opera - Buenos Aires to Southampton Apr 12
Costa Favolosa - Arabian Gulf - Jan 12
MSC Orchestra - Western Med - Oct 11
Costa Romantica - Indian Ocean - Jan 11
MSC Musica - Venice to Rio - Nov 10
MSC Melody - Med & Black Sea - Jul 10
MSC Sinfonia - Livorno to Durban - Oct-Nov 09
MSC Fantasia - Western Med - Apr 09
MSC Lirica - Dover to Genoa - Sept 08
MSC Lirica - Transatlantic (Fort Lauderdale - Dover) - Mar-Apr 08
MSC Opera - Eastern Med - Sep 07
MSC Opera - - Jul 07
MSC Opera - Eastern & Southern Caribbean - Jan 07
MSC Opera - Western Med - May 06
MSC Opera - Transatlantic (Genoa - Fort Lauderdale) Dec 05-Jan 06
MSC Opera - Eastern Med - Jun 05

Old February 27th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Kathy, I'm sure there is but since we did the tour via the ship not able to offer you any personal experience with a private tour. We did see taxis at the train station and again at the park, but not sure how expensive that would be. I did a google search on "Southernmost railway tours Ushuaia" and a lot of information popped up. Here is one example:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Ushuaia/...933-5239USHTDF

So you might want to check with some of the companies you find and then determine if doable, or maybe someone else who did this excursion independently will chime in. If you book something, you should get something in writing that if ship does not make it into port (per Princess board, Star missed Ushaia today to do political differences between Falkland Islands and Argentina) you will get a refund if you are asked to make a deposit or pay in advance.
Grand Princess 2/15 (Hawaii), Caribbean Princess 11/14 (W. CRB), Viking Freya 12/13 (Heart of Germany), Sapphire Princess 4/13 (Coastal), Ruby Princess 12/12 (CRB), Viking Pride (Paris/Normandy) 10/12, Star Princess 12/11 (S. America), Caribbean Princess 5/11 (CRB), Sapphire Princess 2/11 (MEX), Emerald Princess 12/10 (CRB), Viking Sky 11/10 (Danube), Golden Princes 5/10 (Coastal), Vision of the Seas 2/09 (CRB), Crown Princess 12/08 (CRB) ,Crown Princess 8/08 (Scandinavia and Russia), Golden Princess 3/08 (MEX), Island Princess 12/07 (PAN CANAL), Emerald Princess 5/07(MED) , Grand Princess 2/07 (W. CRB), Viking Surkov 8/06 (RUSSIA), Sapphire Princess 3/06 (MEX), Golden Princess 12/05 (S. CRB), Viking Century Star 5/05 (CHINA), Sea Voyager 12/04 (PAN CANAL), Splendour of the Seas 10/04 (MED), Golden Princess 3/04 (E. CRB), Polaris 5/03 (GALAPAGOS), Sovereign of the Seas 3/03 (BAHAMAS), Norwegian Sun 12/02 (W. CRB), Legend of the Seas 5/02 (ALASKA), Norway 12/01 (E. CRB), Miriam 5/01 (EGYPT), Sunbird 3/00 (S. CRB), Song of America 3/98(MEX)

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 27th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoMondo View Post
Just seen on the BBC that the Argentaian Authorities have refused a ship entrance tonthis port because it had previously called at the Falkland Islands. Don't know which ship but they had to move on to a port in Chile instead.
It's the Star Princess and also a P&O ship. Have a friend on board and the Captain is cruising the glaciers instead. I'm flying to Santiago, Chile tomorrow to get on the Star on Saturday for a 16 day cruise up the coast to San Fran

Old March 12th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were in Ushuaia last week and booked a tour through Pira Tours. http://www.piratour.com.ar/indexEnglish.php It was a highlight of our trip.
Oct. 11 Star Princess Greek Isles
Aug. 09 Azamara Journey Great Britian
Mar 09 Ruby Princess Western Carribbean
Sept 08 RCI Radiance Alaska
Feb 08 Emerald Princess South Carribbean
Feb 07 Dawn Princess Mexican Riviera
Feb 06 Coral Princess Panama Canal
Feb 05 Sun Princess Southern Carribbean
Feb 03 Golden Princess Western Carribean
Sept 02 Carousel Western Mediterranean
Feb 01 Sea Princess Eastern Carribbean
Mar 99 Carousel Southern Carribbean

Old March 14th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

I saw the train but did not take it. Looked pretty small-- IMHO more of an amusement park size than a regular historic train. End of the world is a term used for Tierra del Fuego. The train goes into the national park. Not sure how far. As noted, if you're a big train enthusiast, it may be worlthwhile. I had more than one day in Ushuaia (long story). I took a local bus into the park (2-3 different stops available) and walked around, and then book a bus back to town.

There are lots of boat tours which you can book at kiosks at the harbor, just a short walk from where you'll dock. Some go to see sea lions, some to see a penguin island (though these boats dock offshore and you view the penguins from there; the only tour that takes you onto the island is, or at least was, a longer tour involving transport by bus and zodiac, and could take more time than you'll have). Walking around the picturesque town, with its scenic locastion and steep streets, is enjoyable. Lots of restaurants, shops and a small number of museums (best was a former prison). I thought Ushaia was more picturesque than Punta Arenas. BTW, it calls itself the southernmost city in the world, though there is a town across the Beagel Channel, in Chile, that is further south (but, our guide told us, the Argentinians consider it a town, not a city).

Last edited by Fattony; March 14th, 2012 at 11:46 AM.

Old March 14th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cintact Mario Maglia. He has a website. Well recommended in prevoius posts and we used his tour last month,

Last edited by HDS; March 14th, 2012 at 03:53 PM.

Old March 20th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

We used a company by the name of Latitud Ushuaia. The tour was excellent. The driver was the tour guide as well. He had a mike so that everyone in the van heard what he was telling us. We actually saw more than what the cruise ship tours did and it was definitely more reasonable than the ships tours. If you go on the train ride it costs you an additional $40 per person. It is a very short train ride and they stop part way up so that you can take pictures. Yes, it was touristy and would I do it again. No.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

My husband and I also toured with Mario and recommend his services. His english is very good, the car we were in can hold up to 4 though he did mention having a van also, and he is very knowledgable about his home. We were fortunate to just accidentally aquire his taxi at the pier, but found out he does have a website and can be prebooked.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 12:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Mario Maglia website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS View Post
Cintact Mario Maglia. He has a website. Well recommended in prevoius posts and we used his tour last month,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbc View Post
My husband and I also toured with Mario and recommend his services. His english is very good, the car we were in can hold up to 4 though he did mention having a van also, and he is very knowledgable about his home. We were fortunate to just accidentally aquire his taxi at the pier, but found out he does have a website and can be prebooked.
Does anyone have his website? Thanks in advance.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

http://www.interpatagonia.com/paseos...o/index_i.html Not full-size trains you might expect.

Old April 4th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

The card that Mario gave us does not have a website address but does have his email mariomiraglia@hotmail.com and his phone numbers cell 054-2901-15609607 and tel. 054-2901-435488

Old April 13th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmca View Post
We were in Ushuaia last week and booked a tour through Pira Tours. http://www.piratour.com.ar/indexEnglish.php It was a highlight of our trip.
How did you prepay for their tour? I am trying to book for 2013 and they want me to send a credit card # plus a photo copy of both sides of the card. I am uncomfortable emailing this.

Thanks,

Jan

Old April 15th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Payment in advance seems unusual. We booked several private tours with local guides in South America earlier this year. We confirmed a few days before and paid after the tour in local or US currency or a mixture of both.

Old April 16th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmca View Post
We did the Pira Tours trip to walk with the penguins - it was fantastic as they only let 20 people onto the island at a time. The penguins were everywhere and would walk right up to you. We had to be careful where we trod. We purposely did not visit penguins at the earlier port, choosing instead a private trip to Peninsula Valdes (where there were a few penguins) and many seals.
Ushuaia was great - we got back in the early afternoon and then had a bite to eat and a look round before reboarding.

Last edited by Aussieflyer; April 16th, 2012 at 06:23 AM.

Old April 20th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

We prepaid the Pira Tours trip - paid by credit card but don't think I had to send a scan of front and back.From memory, there was a booking form which I filled out,scanned and emailed. I then had to show the original credit card to the office when we were ready to go on the tour.
Most of our other tours either had a deposit (20%) or were paid in full at the end of the tour.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Punta Tombo or Valdez Peninsula?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieflyer View Post
We did the Pira Tours trip to walk with the penguins - it was fantastic as they only let 20 people onto the island at a time. The penguins were everywhere and would walk right up to you. We had to be careful where we trod. We purposely did not visit penguins at the earlier port, choosing instead a private trip to Peninsula Valdes (where there were a few penguins) and many seals.
Ushuaia was great - we got back in the early afternoon and then had a bite to eat and a look round before reboarding.

Can you provide any insight or advice on which area to visit? We are cruising next year and I can't decide which way to go from Puerto Madryn, the penguins or the peninsula? We will be there the end of February 2013. Appreciate anything you can contribute to making this decision.

Thanks.

Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:12 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfdr View Post
How did you prepay for their tour? I am trying to book for 2013 and they want me to send a credit card # plus a photo copy of both sides of the card. I am uncomfortable emailing this.

Thanks,

Jan
We did not prepay the whole fee in Chile or Brazil but we did a hefty deposit. We used paypal and it worked perfectly. Just paid for tours in China and Thailand by paypal last month and all worked almost instantly. Easy to set up but do have to arrange it before hand by giving your bank information.

Barbara and Walter
Bowie, Md.

2014Oceanic Discoverer New Zealand South Island
2013 Disney Dream 2012Diamond Princess The Orient route Star Princess Cape Horn Route SA 2011M/V Evolution Galapagos Islands 2011 Uniworld River Duchess Tulips/windmills;2010 Crown Princess Canada/New England;2010 Coral Princess Panama Canal;2009 Oceania Nautica Greece and Turkey;2008 Cunard QM2 Southern Caribbean;2008 Celebrity Constellation Iberia & TA;2007 Majestic American Queen of West ColumbiaR;2006 Princess Star Princess Baltic;2004 Princess Tahitian Princess South Pacific;2003 Viking River Cruises Clara Schumann Elbe R;2002 Coral Princess (Aust) Coral Princess2 Reef;2001 Princess Royal Princess Norwegian Fijords;2000 Jungle Expeditions La Turmalina Amazon R;1999 Disney Magic Bahamas;1998 RCCL Enchanment of Seas Western Carib.;1996 Princess Star Princess (old) Alaska;1994 RCCL Monarch of the Seas Southern Carib;1990 RCCL Nordic Prince Bermuda;1987 RCCL Sun Viking Eastern Carib.