Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old February 12th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bed Bugs

I just read about bed bugs on the Magic in certain cabins. How true this is...I don't know. Has anyone experienced this? If so, when and where?

Past Cruises

5/14 Carnival Imagination - Ensenada (Gia's Cruise with Mommy)
12/13 Carnival Inspiration - Catalina/Ensenada (Our Last Just Gia Family Cruise)
10/13 Carnival Magic - Catalina/Ensenada
4/13 Carnival Valor - Southern Caribbean (Cruise out of PR after Gia got to meet her Abuelo for the first time)
5/12, 9/12 Carnivial Inspiration - Ensenada (Cathy's First Cruise), Ensenada (Mom's Much Needed Getaway)
4/12 Carnival Magic - Western Caribbean (Baby Belle's First Cruise!)
8/09, 11/09, 11/10, 11/10 Carnival Paradise - (My Bday Cruise), Ensenada (Our Honeymoon on Paradise!), Ensenada (Mom's First Cruise
6/09, 7/09, 7/10 Carnival Splendor - Pacific Northwest reroute (PLATINUM!), Mexican Riviera (Wrap-Around Aft Balcony!), Mexican Riviera (Spa Cabin---soooo worth it!) and Rob was Garth Brooks!
9/06, 4/07 Carnival Paradise - Ensenada
1/07 RCCL Monarch of the Seas - Ensenada
5/06 RCCL Enchantment of the Seas - Jamaica/Grand Caymen (Konica Minolta COE/President's Club Trip)
8/05, 1/06 Carnival Paradise - Ensenada (My Bday Cruise)
8/03, 10/03 Carnival Ecstasy - Ensenada (My Bday Cruise)
8/96, 8/97, 8/98 Carnival Holiday - Ensenada (My Bday Cruise)

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 12th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Are you referring to this thread:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1551934
where ONE incident was reported/confirmed in November and taken care of? I have not seen or heard of any other cases.
Next up:

Old February 12th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

If u have ant concern when travelling on ANY vacation you can purchase a special bed cover that protects you from bed bugs.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
'02 Carnival Elation
'09 Carnival Splendor
'09 Carnival Elation
'09 Caribbean Princess
'11 Carnival Paradise
'12 Carnival Inspiration
'12 Carnival Splendor

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcruzer View Post
If u have ant concern when travelling on ANY vacation you can purchase a special bed cover that protects you from bed bugs.

Thank you. I'll research that before our next cruise.

Past Cruises

12/13 Carnival Inspiration - Catalina/Ensenada (Our Last Just Gia Family Cruise)
4/13 Carnival Valor - Southern Caribbean (Cruise out of PR after Gia got to meet her Abuelo for the first time)
5/12, 9/12 Carnivial Inspiration - Ensenada (Cathy's First Cruise), Ensenada (Mom's Much Needed Getaway)
8/09, 11/09, 11/10, 11/10 Carnival Paradise - (My Bday Cruise), Ensenada (Our Honeymoon on Paradise!), Ensenada (Mom's First Cruise
6/09, 7/09, 7/10 Carnival Splendor - Pacific Northwest reroute (PLATINUM!), Mexican Riviera (Wrap-Around Aft Balcony!), Mexican Riviera (Spa Cabin---soooo worth it!) and Rob was Garth Brooks!
5/06 RCCL Enchantment of the Seas - Jamaica/Grand Caymen (Konica Minolta COE/President's Club Trip)

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsSweetie View Post
Are you referring to this thread:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1551934
where ONE incident was reported/confirmed in November and taken care of? I have not seen or heard of any other cases.
Somewhere in that thread, the Magic is mentioned. Another thread I read refers to 2 cabins right beside the one that I have booked for our next cruise. This is my first cruise with LO, so I'm trying to be as prepared as I can be. CC is always pretty good about their offering their thoughts.

Past Cruises

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I didnt chime in on that thread, but i find it highly suspect. He posts a picture what are supposed to be bed bugs and then goes on with his review and says he will talk about the bed bugs later but never does. He mentions Carnival finely gets back to him but the whole time he has been sleeping in the bed with the bed bugs ??? Whole story just sounded fishy to me.

If i inspected my cabin and found bed bugs me, my partner and ALL OF OUR LUGGAGE and belonging would be camped out LITTERALLY sleeping in the guest services line until they found me a new cabin or something. I would NOT sleep in a room with bed bugs period! For no amount of time.

Past Cruises
Caribbean Princess - 05/11 Caribbean & Bermuda
Carnival Spirit - 03/10 - Southern Mexico Rivera
Sapphire Princess - 01/10 - Mexican Rivera
RCL Mariner of the Seas - 07/09 - Mexican Rivera
Carnival Valor - 05/09 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Pride - 03/08 - Mexican Rivera

Last edited by maxamuus; February 12th, 2012 at 02:00 PM.

Old February 12th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamuus View Post
I didnt chime in on that thread, but i find it highly suspect. He posts a picture what are supposed to be bed bugs and then goes on with his review and says he will talk about the bed bugs later but never does. He mentions Carnival finely gets back to him but the whole time he has been sleeping in the bed with the bed bugs ??? Whole story just sounded fishy to me.

If i inspected my cabin and found bed bugs me, my partner and ALL OF OUR LUGGAGE and belonging would be camped out LITTERALLY sleeping in the guest services line until they found me a new cabin or something. I would NOT sleep in a room with bed bugs period! For no amount of time.
I agree. It was suspect that they would remain in the room.

Past Cruises

Old February 12th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Well...yes... you can buy a BB matress encasement which covers the whole matress and zips up (think large pillow case with zipper) but that only works if 100% of the BB are actually on the mattress. If any are on the frame, headboard, carpet, boxspring if there is one, it won't help at all...

Other thing is what do you do when your cruise is over ? Take it with you ? They are not cheap - so you might not want to leave it there but do you risk bringing back a cover that may contain bugs or eggs ???

Past Cruises
Carnival Liberty - Dec 4th, 2010
Emerald Princess - Jan 3rd, 2010
Carnival Freedom - Jan 2nd, 2008
Disney Magic - May 2006

Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Itching

Quote:

I just got off the magic Sunday...I suffered all week with hives, itching...Changed the sheets...still a problem. I called doctor on ship and he said to take benedryl....miserable trip. I didn't see any bugs in my bed. I was still wondering!! I didn't report to CCL. maybe I should...I was in room 8262..balcony. I was thinking maybe I was in the room that a cruiser before had a dog!!! Leave it to me to have that room! Oh well, cruise is over, nothing I can do about it. I am still itching!!
Still Counting !!

Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw mama View Post
I just got off the magic Sunday...I suffered all week with hives, itching...Changed the sheets...still a problem. I called doctor on ship and he said to take benedryl....miserable trip. I didn't see any bugs in my bed. I was still wondering!! I didn't report to CCL. maybe I should...I was in room 8262..balcony. I was thinking maybe I was in the room that a cruiser before had a dog!!! Leave it to me to have that room! Oh well, cruise is over, nothing I can do about it. I am still itching!!
Oh my, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that you start feeling normal again. Thank you for the heads up. I think I will have to inspect the bedding for DH and I, and I think I'll pack sheets for our baby Belle's crib. I will also have to remember to pack Benadryl too. I hope that they've taken care of whatever caused that.

Past Cruises

Old March 23rd, 2012, 12:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

They can't "take care of" an allergy or bugs (no see ums, sand fleas, mange, whatever) in port, and if you have a really nasty allergic reaction, other things are likely to set your allergies off and continue the cycle for a while. It could have been bed bugs, but if there's an equal shot that it was allergies, it was probably allergies.

Ace Hardware and REI both have permethrin sprays for your clothing or bags that do repel bed bugs. It won't kill them if you have them in your house/room, but it will at least keep you from bringing them home.

Last edited by cocontom; March 23rd, 2012 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Didn't finish a thought

Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

I wonder if CCL uses DDT.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:47 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:

If you are allergic to bed bugs they will come up in hives.

The hives will be in distinct track marks up the legs arms and buttocks,not random blotches but tracks

Den

Old March 23rd, 2012, 06:57 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocontom View Post
They can't "take care of" an allergy or bugs (no see ums, sand fleas, mange, whatever) in port, and if you have a really nasty allergic reaction, other things are likely to set your allergies off and continue the cycle for a while. It could have been bed bugs, but if there's an equal shot that it was allergies, it was probably allergies.

Ace Hardware and REI both have permethrin sprays for your clothing or bags that do repel bed bugs. It won't kill them if you have them in your house/room, but it will at least keep you from bringing them home.

So true if,if it was bed bugs and you are allergic it can take weeks for the hives to go away

Encountered Bed Bugs in Asia,didnt bother me,just like small Knat bites but my partner was covered with big red blotches that lasted for over 2 weeks after the trip,she was too embarrassed to go to work for one week as it was so bad

Now we will never sleep in a strange bed without first taking off the sheets and checking for the tell tale signs,5 star or 2 star

Den

Old March 23rd, 2012, 08:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I seem to remember years ago reading that someone had a reaction and they figured out it was probably due to the laundry soap. I have never had that on board but I have used some at home that have been an issue for us. Just something else to consider if you are symptomatic. I personally never travel without benadryl...it can literally save your life if you have allergies.
Carnival Pride 1/2/2011, Carnival Pride 6/27/2010
Celebrity Century 3/29/2010, HAL Eurodam 4/4/2009
Carnival Inspiration 8/25/2008
Carnival Liberty3/15/2008, RCCL Liberty of the Seas 8/18/2007
Carnival Ecstasy 8/26/2006, Carnival Legend 8/25/2005
Carnival Mardi Gras 6/1981

Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I think I'll pack sheets for our baby Belle's crib.
That won't help, the bedbugs infest the room (furniture, carpet, walls, baseboards, etc) and will be happy to crawl over whatever sheet is there. If you bring your own sheet and do end up in a room with bedbugs, take that sheet home with you and you're likely to transport eggs (clear, sticky, and the size of a grain of sand.)

We ran into bedbugs in a Boston hotel. Had checked the entire bed thoroughly - they weren't there. Darn things were living in an upholstered chair near the window, and literally bit my butt. Itched like crazy! I threw that suitcase out rather than take it back home.
Grandeur of the Seas ~ Eastern Caribbean ~ July 1999
Carnival Tropicale ~ Western Caribbean ~ August 1997

Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Bed Bath and Beyond also carries a "bed bug" spray for your mattress. I bought some for my daughter before she went to college. It was fairly inexpensive and it gave her some peace of mind. I can't say if it works or not, but I can say she didn't have any bed bugs This might be easier to bring along and you could spray the carpet, chair, headboard, curtains anything your heart desires
Carnival Victory April 2012 - Southern Caribbean
Carnival Victory April 2013 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze April 2014 - Eastern Caribbean

Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Also to be safer, Never store your suitcases under the bed!! If there is any you will take them home with you!! How many of you unpack your suitcase on your bed at home?

Next Cruises

Carnival Elation 9/6/14
and then hop on
Carnival Dream 9/14/14

Past Cruises

Carnival Elation 4/04
Carnival Conquest 5/1/05
USS Nimitz tiger(family members) Cruise 11/3/05 From Pearl Harbor to San Diego!! My Daughter was in the Navy!(my favorite cruise of all)
Carnival Ecstasy 9/08 (3day cruise to Nowhere)
Carnival Conquest 4/09
Carnival Fantasy 8/17/2009 (with grandsons)
Carnival Triumph, 1/3/11
Carnival Magic Transatlantic, 10/28/11
Carnival Breeze March 16,2013
Carnival Triumph 9/9/13
Carnival Magic 9/15/13 Platinum!!!

Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

If there was a bed bug problem in the cabin, just using a bed cover wouldn't completely protect you from them!

Sailed Cruises
Celebrity Zenith.....................4/1993 (E.Caribbean)
Disney Magic.........................10/1999(Bahamas)
Disney Wonder.......................8/2008(Bahamas)
RCCL Freedom of the Seas......8/2009(Western Caribbean)
RCCL Explorer of the Seas......4/2011 (Bermuda&Bahamas) review
RCCL Freedom of the Seas......8/2011(Western Caribbean)
Carnival Liberty......................8/2012(Western Caribbean)
RCCL Freedom of the Seas...7/2013(Western Caribbean)

Last edited by funfamilyof6; March 23rd, 2012 at 10:36 AM.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Totally agree even if it meant not being able to cruise!

Sailed Cruises
Celebrity Zenith.....................4/1993 (E.Caribbean)
Disney Magic.........................10/1999(Bahamas)
Disney Wonder.......................8/2008(Bahamas)
RCCL Freedom of the Seas......8/2009(Western Caribbean)
RCCL Explorer of the Seas......4/2011 (Bermuda&Bahamas) review
RCCL Freedom of the Seas......8/2011(Western Caribbean)
Carnival Liberty......................8/2012(Western Caribbean)
RCCL Freedom of the Seas...7/2013(Western Caribbean)