Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old January 17th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Michaels Club changed on Equinox?

I heard rumours there are changes being made to Michaels Clubs which will feature beers from around the world etc. Does anyknow if Michaels has been changed on the Equinox?

Old January 20th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith6 View Post
I heard rumours there are changes being made to Michaels Clubs which will feature beers from around the world etc. Does anyknow if Michaels has been changed on the Equinox?
As of 2 Jan, no. I understand that this will only initially be available on the Reflection.
Celebrity Equinox Xmas 11/New Years 12 (10 nite Carib), Celebrity Infinity Jul 11 (7 nite Inside Passage), Celebrity Infinity Jan 11 (14 nite Around the Horn), Carnival Legend Feb 09 (7 nite Carib), Celebrity Mercury Xmas 07/New Years 08 (14 nite Aus/NZ), Celebrity Infinity Aug 07 (7 nite Alaska), Golden Princess Nov 06 (12 nite Greece/Turkey/Egypt), Brilliance of the Seas Jun 06 (12 nite Venice), Celebrity Summit Xmas 05/New Years 06 (14 nite Hawaii), Jewel of the Seas Jun 05 (12 nite UK/Fjords), Brilliance of the Seas Jun 04 (12 nite Greek Isles), Regal Princess Aug 03 (10 nite Baltic), Splendour of the Seas Jun 03 (7 nite Med), Radiance of the Seas B2B Oct 02 (2 nite Pacific, 11 nite Hawaii), Enchantment of the Seas Jan 02 (7 nite E. Carib), Radiance of the Seas Aug 01 (7 nite Alaska), Vision of the Seas Mar 01 (10 nite Carib

Next: Celebrity Eclipse New Years Carribean (Dec 12)

Old January 20th, 2012, 10:00 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUISENAV8R View Post
As of 2 Jan, no. I understand that this will only initially be available on the Reflection.
Actually it started on Silhouette.

Completed Cruises:
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean

Old January 20th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo70 View Post
What a big waste of space. Hardly anyone was there during our cruise on Silhouete.

Old January 20th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISABELLA View Post
What a big waste of space. Hardly anyone was there during our cruise on Silhouete.
How about the Wine Cellar? On our S class cruises, that was never very crowded.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:15 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo70 View Post
Michaels new beer selection is also available on infinity, Summit soon and then Millenium after the refurb.

Azamara Journey (V3) - 5/12/14 - Photos
Celebrity Reflection (AQ) - 1/12/13 Review - Photos

Celebrity Summit (AQ) - 9/2/2012 Review - Photos
Celebrity Eclipse (AQ) - 12/10/2011 Review Photos
Celebrity Summit (SS) - 12/11/2010 Review - Photos
Celebrity Equinox (AQ) - 11/19/2009 Photos
Celebrity Century (CC) - 3/5/2009 Photos

Old January 20th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Cruise Critic Host & 10,000+ Club

Quote:
Hi Isabella,

Very interesting to hear. I've been curious if this concept will prove to be a success or not. Would be great to hear from others.

Please Follow me on Twitter

Old January 20th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebritydave View Post
How about the Wine Cellar? On our S class cruises, that was never very crowded.
Another wasted space, so is Molecular bar- nobody was ever there. On Silhouette, they offered 2 for 1 martinis on some evenings to get people there....what is that tell you?
I wish they make a nice piano bar.................

Last edited by ISABELLA; January 20th, 2012 at 04:09 PM.

Old January 20th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was happy to see the much improved brew list. The Spouse is a fan of dark brews and was much more excited once he saw the list of what will be available after the renovation. I have seen a number of other comments from wives who reported happy husbands.

But I don't drink beer myself, hate the stuff. I don't see how having the improved brew selection has to be in conflict with a piano bar/club. To bad if they are just going to have the beer and nothing else going on in the space. Plenty of people seemd to have enjoyed the space in it's former incarnation. Perhaps if the brew only plan proves less popular than expected they could find a happy medium?

...ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Alaska, Celebrity Millennium, 7/13/12
Mexico, Carnival Inspiration, 1/20/14
Crossing, Cunard QM2, 8/27/14

Old January 20th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down Tastings

I was on the EQUINOX last December and there was NO entertainment in Michael's Club. On different nights they had whiskey, bourbon or beer tastings.

I missed the entertainment!!

Renassaince - Europe 2000; Celebrity Century - Western Caribbean 2003; RCCL Empress of the Seas - Southern Caribbean 2005; Carnival Victory - Bahamas 2007; HAL Westerdam - Southern Caribbean 2008; Celebrity Constellation - Transatlantic 2008; Celebrity Infinity - Alaska 2008; Ruby Princess - Western Caribbean 2008; Celebrity Constellation - Panama Canal 2009; Island Princess - Panama Canal 2009; Celebrity Mercury - Panama Canal 2010; Carnival Fantasy - Eastern Caribbean 2010; Celebrity Soltice - B2B Western/Eastern Carribean 2010; Celebrity Equinox - Westbound Transatlantic 2011; RCCL NOS - Eastern Caribbean 2012; Celebrity Constellation - Spring Transatlantic 2012; Fantasy - Bahamas 2012; RCCL IOS Bahamas 2012; RCCL IOS - Eastern Caribbean 2012; RCCL Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean 2012; Equinox - Med 2013; Equinox - Westbound TA 2013
Carnival Sunshine - Western Caribbean 2014

Old January 20th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Another wasted space, so is Molecular bar- nobody was ever there. On Silhouette, they offered 2 for 1 martinis on some evenings to get people there....what is that tell you?
Wow, the Molecular Bar was quite busy on our 7 January Eclipse cruise.
In fact it was so busy that the bartender had to call for back up.
Agree that Wine Cellar for the most part was desserted.
Michael's Club was also under utilized, but the ensemble lounge was packed.
As always, the martini bar was quite busy.
It'll be interesting to see how things will be on the Silhouette.

Mari

Life is uncertain, eat dessert first..

Old January 21st, 2012, 11:57 AM
5,000+ Club

Michaels Club on Eclipse only had entertainment a few times during the week. We enjoyed a show by singer Owen Stevenson (playing both guitar and piano) one night but there were only a handful of other people.
I still like the beer concept, as does DH, and am eagerly anticipating our visits on Summit.

Azamara Journey (V3) - 5/12/14 - Photos
Celebrity Reflection (AQ) - 1/12/13 Review - Photos

Celebrity Summit (AQ) - 9/2/2012 Review - Photos
Celebrity Eclipse (AQ) - 12/10/2011 Review Photos
Celebrity Summit (SS) - 12/11/2010 Review - Photos
Celebrity Equinox (AQ) - 11/19/2009 Photos
Celebrity Century (CC) - 3/5/2009 Photos

Old January 21st, 2012, 01:37 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Huh, the Molecular Bar is by far my favorite bar on the ship - by a large margin. It was quite lively on my last couple of cruises and some nights it was hard to get a seat. It is only open later in the day - perhaps you were walking by during the morning or afternoon.

Completed Cruises:
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean

Old January 21st, 2012, 03:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oh, heck just throw my data points in... On our cruise in Dec, Michaels Club seem pretty quiet. Cellar Masters was pretty quiet (save for wine tasting events). Molecular bar, while never packed, was quite steady. Martini Bar was packed.
Sept 2005 RCI Navigator E Caribbean | Dec 2007 RCI Vision Mexican Riviera | May 2009 X Millennium Alaska | Dec 2009 RCI Liberty W Caribbean | Dec 2011 X Equinox Ultimate Caribbean | Oct 2013 X Reflection E Mediterranean

Old January 21st, 2012, 04:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Beer only?

Michael's Club has been my favorite late-night haunt. I could always get a fine single-malt or nice brandy. Does this mean it's beer only now?

Old January 21st, 2012, 07:43 PM
5,000+ Club

Michael's on Silhouette was deadly quiet on our Sept. cruise... The only time I saw more than a person or two was in the morning during the Captain's Club breakfast...very disappointing...

Old January 21st, 2012, 11:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Impressions from back-to-back cruises (total = 28 days) in Fall of 2010 on Equinox, when we had a premium package and thus spent a lot of time at various "drinking holes:"

1. Passport, Ensemble, and Martini Bars -- moderately to very full, most of the time.

2. Cellar Masters -- nearly empty when we were there (before dinner), but we don't know about later hours.

3. Molecular Bar -- never anyone sitting beyond the bar itself, and never more than three or four people at the bar (perhaps because of drink prices [$12] and drinks' ingredients [weird]). Since we had the package and are adventuresome, we tried every one of the (14?) drinks on the menu and at least one off-menu drink. Three or four were very interesting, but we won't bother to visit again in the future. We think that the MB area should be used for something else. Another specialty restaurant would be nice, but there would be no galley for it.

4. Michael's Club -- packed to overflowing most nights, because of outstanding piano entertainment by Katie Gugilelmo and excellent bar service. We consider it ludicrous for Celebrity to cease having a pianist in Michael's Club, especially if the replacement is beer (almost all of which displeases us). It won't be long, we think, before "X" re-thinks its new harebrained scheme. As we've said elsewhere, Michael's needs almost constant, live musical entertainment -- a combination of (a) nightly performances by professionals [two to four hours], (b) occasional sing-alongs, and (c) nightly performances by talented amateurs [i.e., guests singing karaoke, two hours].

Last edited by jg51; January 21st, 2012 at 11:56 PM.

Old January 22nd, 2012, 07:18 AM
5,000+ Club

My impression of the Molecular Bar on a few different ships now is much the same. Fun to watch the making of the odd drinks but the tasting...not so much....we enjoyed the visit a couple of times but then moved on to other locations .... and never even stopped by on our Silhouette cruise last Sept. It appears to be a "fad" that may have already peaked, never saw a crowd there even at prime times...on the other hand the martini bar was packed with people.

I would really like to hear from someone who has been on Equinox in the last 6 months or so about what Michael's Club is doing on that ship. Is there entertainment? Has it been converted to a beer lounge? Would love to hear that the piano player jg51 refers to is still there and will be for our Apr 30 cruise. Does anyone out there know????

Old January 22nd, 2012, 03:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie115 View Post
... Molecular Bar ... appears to be a "fad" that may have already peaked ...
Michael's Club ... Would love to hear that the piano player jg51 refers to is still there and will be for our Apr 30 cruise. Does anyone out there know????
We agree about MB being a now faded fad.
We apologize for misspelling pianist Katie's surname (Guglielmo).
We cannot find anything recent about her on the whole Internet. Here at CruiseCritic, the last reference was to her playing on Equinox in January, 2011. She may have decided to return to land-based work. She is a show-business veteran [in her 60s?] who met royalty and accompanied various stars, but is a very unpretentious, fun-loving person who would be glad to share a dinner with you in the buffet restaurant.
The ship also had a second talented pianist (from Belarus) who played classical music, jazz, and "pop" in the Passport and Ensemble Bars.

Old January 24th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was on the Equinox in March of 2011 and Katie Guglielmo announced that it was her last cruise. She seemed fairly confident about that.

Celebrity Equinox, April, 2012
Oceania MARINA, January, 2012

Celebrity Summit, June, 2011

Celebrity Equinox, March 11, 2011
Celebrity Mercury, January 15, 2011
Cunard Queen Mary 2, Transatlantic, Sept, 2009
Cunard Queen Mary 2, NY-Canada 2009
HAL Volendam: 2004
Costa Atlantica: 2002