Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default HELP! New passport rules. Even for closed loop cruise.

My sister just called me to let me know that she just recieved a message from her TA about new requirements for travel to the Carribean, Bahamas , etc. It said you must have a passport. Even on a closed looped cruise. She is traveling on the Carnival Miracle. I am also booked for March 1 st on the Miracle but booked with a PVP. Carnival has not notified anyone as to this new change.
So I called the Passport office for the USA and the lady looked up different countries to see if the have changed their laws. Yep ..they did. She had me call the Royal Netherlands Embassy to double check. They said yes even on a closed loop cruise and directed me to their web site :

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: All U.S. citizens must have a valid U.S. passport for all air travel, including to and from Aruba. All sea travelers must also now have a passport or passport card. We strongly encourage all American citizen travelers to apply for a U.S. passport or passport card well in advance of anticipated travel. American citizens can visit travel.state.gov or call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on how to apply for their passports. Visitors to Aruba may be asked to show onward/return tickets, proof of sufficient funds and proof of lodging accommodations for their stay. Length of stay for U.S. citizens is granted for thirty days and may be extended to 180 days by the office of immigration. For further information, travelers may contact the Royal Netherlands Embassy, 4200 Linnean Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20008, telephone (202) 244-5300, or the Dutch Consulate in Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Houston or Miami. Visit the web site for the Embassy of the Netherlands and the Aruban Department of Immigration for the most current visa information.

Now I did not bother to check out each country as I was told this applies to all the others mentioned.
So I have a call into Carnivan and still waiting for a call back.

Last edited by runamuc; November 23rd, 2011 at 11:31 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:51 AM
10,000+ Club

I believe this only applies to people who are going to stay in the Bahamas or the island.....cruise passengers are considered in transit and are exempt.

If this were truely a change I would think that there would be MUCH more chatter about it and not from just one TA. This would be a game changer for ALL cruiselines and their passengers.

Festivale 5/1983, Festivale 6/1984, Holiday 7/2001, Inspiration 2/2002
Paradise 3/2004, Pride 9/2004, Victory 5/2005, Conquest 4/2006
Conquest 9/2006, Freedom 3/2007, Glory 9/2007, Conquest 2/2008,
Valor 5/2008, Glory 8/2008, Glory 9/2008, Fantasy 2/2009, Conquest 9/2009,
Dream 12/2009, Conquest 2/2010, Ecstasy 4/2010, Conquest 9/2010,
Ecstasy 2/2011, Glory 2/2011, Conquest 10/2011, Triumph 11/2011, Magic 3/2012,
Conquest 9/2012, Breeze 1/13/13 & 1/19/13, Conquest 4/2013, Magic 10/2013, Sunshine 2/2014, Magic 8/2014

Last edited by okgirl; November 23rd, 2011 at 11:55 AM.

Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:56 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgirl View Post
I believe this only applies to people who are going to stay in the Bahamas or the island.....cruise passengers are considered in transit and are exempt.

If this were truely a change I would think that there would be MUCH more chatter about it and not from just one TA. This would be a game changer for ALL cruiselines and their passengers.
The cited rules are for Aruba, but I would be surprised if they don't also have the same exclusion for cruise ship pax (I think the TA is mis-interpreting but haven't done the research necessary to confirm it).

Cruise photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparks1093/

Email sparks1093

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!

Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

It makes more sense to have a passport than not while traveling.
Looks like Aruba wants US Citizens to have one. Here is the link

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1153.html

We are going to Aruba in April 2012. Thanks for the heads up. I found these countries still to be passport exempt:

St. Vincent & the Grenadines
... NOTE: Be aware that Caribbean cruises that begin and end in the US (closed loop
cruises) do not require that you travel with a valid passport. ...
travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1028.html - Nov 18, 2011 Barbados
... NOTE: Be aware that Caribbean cruises that begin and end in the US (closed loop
travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1022.html - Nov 18, 2011 Dominica
travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1102.html - Nov 18, 2011 French West Indies
travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1746.html - Nov 18, 2011 Belize
... Cruise ship passengers: US citizens on closed-loop cruises (ie, cruises that begin
and end at the same US port) will be permitted to depart or enter the US ...
travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1055.html - Nov 18, 2011 British Virgin Islands
travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1079.html - Nov 18, 2011 Grenada
... States. This requirement will be extended to sea travel (except closed-loop
cruises), including ferry service, on June 1, 2009. Until ...
travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1128.html - Nov 18, 2011 Mexico
... All US citizens traveling outside of the United States by air, land or sea (except
closed-loop cruises) are required to present a Western Hemisphere Travel ...
travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html - Nov 18, 2011 Dominican Republic
... This requirement was extended to sea travel (except closed loop cruises),
including ferry service, during the summer of 2009. US ...
travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1103.html - Nov 18, 2011

I remember showing a passport the last time we were in Grand Cayman as well

Panama

Tropicale 1995

Celebration 1996
Celebration 1997
Elation 1998
Grandeur of the Seas 1999
Enchantment of the Seas 2001
Grandeur of the Seas 2009
Victory 2010
Triumph
Caribbean Princess
Golden Princess 2013
Norwegian Dawn 2014

Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Current guidance from Carnival:

CRUISE TRAVEL
U.S. Citizens
Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one. Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:
  • Valid U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the department of vital statistics)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
  • Enhanced Tribal Card
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
Note: Enhanced Driver's Licenses can be used as proof of citizenship at land and sea ports of entry. However, it cannot be used to travel by air outside the United States.

XENOPHOBE : One unduly fearful of what is foreign and especially of people of foreign origin.

Last edited by AWCHIEF; November 23rd, 2011 at 12:06 PM.

Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:04 PM
10,000+ Club

There are two separate issues:
1) The requirements of the US for re-entry; and
2) The requirements of each country visited on the cruise.

Regarding #1, the US still has the passport exemption for closed-loop cruises. This is from the CBP (Customs & Border Patrol) website: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-take-a-cruise
Regarding #2, most if not all Caribbean islands have an exemption for people visiting on a cruise; since they're there for less than a day, they're treated as if they're "in transit", much as if they were simply changing planes in an airport, on the way to somewhere else. I can see requiring passengers arriving by sea for a stay (for example, on a yacht) to have a passport, but to be honest, if a country decided cruise ship passengers had to have passports to visit,
a) they'd have to have someone there to check each person getting off; and
b) the cruise lines would probably stop going there, because so many Americans cruise with their driver's license and birth certificate, and wouldn't be able to take those cruises.

Carnival's own website is still showing that you can use the driver's license and birth certificate on a closed-loop cruise,
http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/crui..._document.aspx
and that's probably exactly what the Carnival rep will tell you when you talk to them.
Your sister's TA may have misinterpreted something she read.
Cindy WGIG#198-F --> "sea" my pictures HERE
Mustard of the Seas Utility Crewmember & Goodwill Ambassador - East Coast

My Cruises: Atlantic (Premier, a/k/a Big Red Boat), E Carib, Apr 93; Adventure (American Family), E Carib, June 94; Explorer of the Seas, E Carib, June 06; Jewel (Mustard) of the Seas, E Carib, Feb 07; Vision of the Seas (NUTZ 2), Mex Riviera, Oct 07; Caribbean Princess, E Carib, May 08; Carnival Ecstasy, W Carib, Sept 08; Serenade of the Seas (Mustard 2/NUTZ 3), Alaska, June 09; Jewel of the Seas, WB Transatlantic, Sept 10; Carnival Miracle, SE Carib, Nov 11; Jewel of the Seas (NUTZ 4), Canada/New England, Oct 12; Carnival Fantasy, Bahamas/Grand Turk, Nov 13; Adventure of the Seas, S Carib, Jan 14

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.” -- Isak Dinesen
Illegitimi non carborundum

Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
5,000+ Club

It'll be nice when they DO make it mandatory, so we can stop having these discusions.

Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:34 PM
10,000+ Club

As has been stated above, Aruba is free to... and apparently has... modified it's requirements for visiting the island. On this end of the equation, however, nothing has changed.

The documentation requirements for 'closed loop voyages' remains the same as does the CBP list for 'contiguous territories or adjacent islands.' The information can be found here:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/in...d_loop_faq.xml

Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just talked to my PVP and she said nothing has changed. Just MIS information from a TA. I do know that it is better to have a passport . But the point is why cause so much confussion to your clients. Makes you wonder how much this TA knows about cruising.

Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcuchio24 View Post
It'll be nice when they DO make it mandatory, so we can stop having these discusions.
Ahh, a voice of reason in a sea of...

Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool

Agree...Very upsetting getting crappy information like that.
11/92 Carnival Carnivale
05/93 Carnival Carnivale
05/94 Premiere Atlantic
10/94 Premiere Atlantic
10/95 Regent Rainbow
03/97 HAL Westerdam
04/98 Regal Empress
03/99 Costa Romantica
07/99 Carnival Tropicale
07/00 Carnival Sensation
12/00 Holland America Maasdam
11/01 Carnival Spirit
03/02 Golden Princess
11/02 Grand Princess
03/03 NCL Dawn
10/03 Golden Princess
06/04 Caribbean Princess
10/04 Caribbean Princess
10/05 Star Princess
10/06 Caribbean Princess
10/07 Sovereign of The Seas
04/08 Caribbean Princess
10/08 Carnival Sensation
04/09 Carnival Glory
10/09 Carnival Sensation
05/10 Carnival Dream
10/10 Carnival Sensation
05/11 Carnival Dream
10/11 Carnival Sensation
12/11 Carnival Ecstasy
10/12 Carnival Ecstasy
12/12 Carnival Ecstasy
09/13 Carnival Dream
10/13 Carnival Sensation
05/14 Carnival Sunshine
11/14 Carnival Liberty

Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:07 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuc View Post
Just talked to my PVP and she said nothing has changed. Just MIS information from a TA. I do know that it is better to have a passport . But the point is why cause so much confussion to your clients. Makes you wonder how much this TA knows about cruising.

Ya' know... cruising is a very unique form of vacation. I can't think of many other types of vacation travel that involve three, four or five different countries and at least two modes of transportation. It's complex... very complex and all of the ins and outs can be tough to follow. That's why Cruise Critic and similar sites are of great value... information.

I could imagine a TA who deals with all forms of travel not being up to speed on a given aspect (although a very important aspect!) of a specific type of vacation or on laws recently passed in one of the lesser visited countries.

Bottom line, I guess, research if it sounds odd!!

Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well, apparently this has been a requirement for some time.
http://www.aruba.com/sigma/Entry_Req-Eng.pdf

On page 3 notes that the ONLY thing cruise ship pax are exempt from is the Visa requirements.

The date at bottom of the document is from August 2011.

I find it interesting that this has not come up before now.
I wonder if the Authorities in Aruba are just being lenient for right now.

Just another step closer to Phase 3 of passport requirements becoming a mandatory requirement.

It's just easier to go ahead and get a passport and be done with it.

Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like they mean people who travel there by sea and stay a while. Not really meant for cruise passengers who stay for a few hours and leave again.

CARNIVAL PARADISE 12/05/13 - (Cozumel)
CARNIVAL MIRACLE 02/06/12 - (St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts - great roll call friends, 4 fantastic sea days)
CARNIVAL FREEDOM 01/15/11 - (Cozumel, Costa Rica, Panama, 4 sea days, made great roll call friends)
CARNIVAL INSPIRATION 11/27/08 - (Cozumel)
CARNIVAL LlIBERTY 03/29/08 - (San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua, Nassau)
CARNIVAL FANTASY 02/06/05 - (Freeport, Nassau)

40 days and counting....

Old November 23rd, 2011, 03:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Location: Missouri (417 area), and a regular in Cape Canaveral, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuc View Post
My sister just called me to let me know that she just recieved a message from her TA about new requirements for travel to the Carribean, Bahamas , etc. It said you must have a passport. Even on a closed looped cruise. She is traveling on the Carnival Miracle. I am also booked for March 1 st on the Miracle but booked with a PVP. Carnival has not notified anyone as to this new change.
I got an EMAIL from Carnival this week for my June cruise stating what travel documents I need. Might want to see what email you have set up for your reservation.
NCL Star from Seattle 05/17/08 Alaska
Carnival Fantasy from NOLA 01/01/09 Western Caribbean
Carnival Sensation from PC 08/16/09 Bahamas
Carnival Dream from PC 05/22/10 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation from PC 10/14/10 Bahamas
Carnival Elation from Mobile 7/30/11 Western (1st B2B)
Carnival Elation from Mobile 8/4/11 Western Caribbean
Carnival Glory from Boston 6/03/12 (actual departure 6/4) Canada
Carnival Dream from Port Canaveral 7/27/13 -1st ship on Alternate Dream Eastern Caribbean (#10 - for Platinum!)
------------------------
Canceled
Carnival Freedom 03/06/11 (illness) W. Carib
Carnival Sensation 01/05/12 (vacation denied) Bahamas

Old November 23rd, 2011, 03:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and C Blake View Post
Well, apparently this has been a requirement for some time.
http://www.aruba.com/sigma/Entry_Req-Eng.pdf

On page 3 notes that the ONLY thing cruise ship pax are exempt from is the Visa requirements.

The date at bottom of the document is from August 2011.

I find it interesting that this has not come up before now.
I wonder if the Authorities in Aruba are just being lenient for right now.

Just another step closer to Phase 3 of passport requirements becoming a mandatory requirement.

It's just easier to go ahead and get a passport and be done with it.
If Aruba is requiring passports for cruise ship passengrs, it's going to put a whole new twist on the 8 nt. Carnival cruises in 2013 that make a stop in Aruba.

I was going to set up a group on one of those sailings, once the schedule comes out past 4/13, but I think I'll wait and see how this shakes out. This is the first I'm hearing from this requirement, but if it's true, this would not be the best itinerary for a group (most will not want to get passports just for one cruise).

Upcoming Cruises:

RCCL Jewel of the Seas 9/20/14 - 5th SALUTE TO VETERANS CRUISE

RCCL Explorer of the Seas 1/4/15 - Birthday Cruise with the Family

NCL Dawn to Bermuda from Boston 10/23/15 - 6th SALUTE TO VETERANS CRUISE

RCCL Brilliance of the Seas 1/2/16 - Birthday Cruise with the Family (Planning ahead)

NCL Epic - 3/30/2014 - SAILED

NCL Breakaway - 2/9/2014 - SAILED

Carnival Fascination - 1/6/14; Birthday cruise for me and 21st birthday cruise for oldest grandson - SAILED

RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 10/14/13 - U.S.S. Witek Reunion Cruise - SAILED

Old November 23rd, 2011, 04:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnana View Post
If Aruba is requiring passports for cruise ship passengrs, it's going to put a whole new twist on the 8 nt. Carnival cruises in 2013 that make a stop in Aruba.

I was going to set up a group on one of those sailings, once the schedule comes out past 4/13, but I think I'll wait and see how this shakes out. This is the first I'm hearing from this requirement, but if it's true, this would not be the best itinerary for a group (most will not want to get passports just for one cruise).
Can't see why.

There are excursions on the Alaskan cruise that require a passport because they cross into Canada by land.

Although having said that if it is indeed required it should be listed at time of booking. Just like when you book the excursions in Alaska.

Carnival is only responsible for recommending the proper documents.
As travelers we are responsible for checking what is required and make sure we have whatever it is we need.

JMHO I think the US needs to just forget all this mess and require passports. Then there is no question what we need.

Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:14 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and C Blake View Post
JMHO I think the US needs to just forget all this mess and require passports. Then there is no question what we need.
I agree with this.. why are they prolonging the inevitable... just do it...sorry that it costs money.. but atleast you have 10yrs.. where as we only have 5yrs here and no choice but to have a passport!!!

Old November 23rd, 2011, 06:14 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I agree that passports should become mandatory. I don't know why Americans (and I'm one but with a passport) are so resistant to this idea.

Old November 23rd, 2011, 06:16 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicia View Post
I agree that passports should become mandatory. I don't know why Americans (and I'm one but with a passport) are so resistant to this idea.
I can tell you why they would lose all the cruise passengers that can't afford it... plain and simple...