Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old November 5th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Is it possible to go overboard from a cruise ship? (this ? is not a joke)

Going overboard from a cruise ship is the number one thing that scares me! like what happen if someone don't like you on the ship? im sure the person can just flip you overboard or what happens if you fell over by accident? will the ship turn around to get you? plus if you are alone and have a balcony cabin and you fall off into the sea. what happens? if no one knows you fell off out to sea that would be a scary site!! not sure if anyone else thought of this sort of thing happening to them. have there been reports of people going overboard? i don't think i ever heard of it happening from the news. i really love to go on a cruise! but this sort of thing is holding me back from cruising

Last edited by antman455; November 5th, 2011 at 03:00 PM.

Old November 5th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

The short answer is NO! Not unless someone is really stupid, drunk, showing off, etc. I have actually walked around the ship looking for places where someone could acidentally fall off, but never found one. The rails are too high. Please, don't be scared by this, cruising is very safe. We have been on 25 cruises so far and have never worried about falling overboard.

Old November 5th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Its about like "falling" off the Golden Gate bridge....not easy, but if you are determined you can do it.

Carnival Spirit 2003 (Caribbean)
Carnival Fascination 2004 (Caribbean)
HAL Noordam 2004 (Norway)
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 ( E. Mediterranean)
Carnival Glory 2010 (b2b E+W Caribbean)
Emerald Princess 2012 (Caribbean)
Island Princess 2012 (Panama Canal-full transit)
Ruby Princess 2014 (Caribbean)
HAL Ryndam 2014 (W. Caribbean)
Ruby Princess 2014 (W. Caribbean)

Old November 5th, 2011, 03:02 PM
40,000+ Club

Whilel you can fall over, it will require some stupidity. If you try to sit or stand on the railing, you can fall overboard. If you lean to far over the railing, you can fall overboard.

Don't worry about it.

Old November 5th, 2011, 03:11 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by montekat View Post
The short answer is NO! Not unless someone is really stupid, drunk, showing off, etc.
So... that would make the long answer YES !

OP, if your that paranoid - don't go. And don't live in a high-rise apartment building with balconies either. Yes, it has happened both suicide, or drunk, (and possibly showing off as well). The cruise lines don't practice "Man Overboard" drills for no reason !

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 5th, 2011, 03:13 PM
50,000+ Club

You would have to intentionally want to jump from the ship to go overboard.

Keith

Old November 5th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

I cannot imagine how you could possibly 'lean over too far' over a railing and fall over unless you were 9 feet tall.

Anything's possible, but you'd really have to try to fall overboard. If you sit on top of the railing, yes. But the railings are high and it sounds like you wouldn't exactly be the the type to do that, anyway.

I also can't imagine why anyone who "didn't like you" would want to throw you overboard.

Relax and go for it

Old November 5th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1010 View Post
You would have to intentionally want to jump from the ship to go overboard.
And if you're short you would have to work at getting over the railing.

But you don't have to hang out at the railing of a ship. Ships are BIG. Even if you want to walk around the promenade deck they are maybe 10-12 feet wide, if not wider. So you walk towards the boat side, not the railing side.

If you have a balcony, no one says you have to hang over the railing, you can sit in a chair with your back to the ship... or get a cabin on the inside.

If you're that afraid, just don't hang out at the railings.

Suitcasebears2 @ gmail.com

2005 Princess - 2 night trial cruise
2008 Feb: Crystal - Mexican Riviera
2008 Nov: HAL - E. Caribbean
2009 June: HAL - Alaska
2010 March: Regent - Western Caribbean
2010 Nov: HAL - Western Caribbean
2011 Nov: HAL - Caribbean
2012 Nov: HAL - Caribbean
2013 May: RCCL - supposedly Caribbean but DH ended up in hospital in St. Maarten. It's a long story.
2014 March: Princess - Mexican Riviera
2014 Nov: RCCL - Caribbean

Old November 5th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

To the OP's question, yes I think I have read that if the ship knows you've gone overboard, they will go back and get you. Think I read recently about an amorous encounter for some newlyweds that sent them into the sea. They tread water for four hours or so but they were rescued.

Old November 5th, 2011, 03:39 PM
50,000+ Club

The odds say if you do go overboard you will not make it. Some people do but I sure wouldn't count on it.

Keith

Old November 5th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

This really probably sound strange BUT, I always cruise alone and have a balcony cabin. I actually DO have a real fear that I may have a little too much to drink during my late seating dinner and go back to my cabin, onto my balcony, and fall overboard!!!!!

Old November 5th, 2011, 04:20 PM
50,000+ Club

You can't just "fall"....and if it's from an upper deck, you'll probably die when you hit the water....from 12 or more decks up, the water is like hitting concrete.

Old November 5th, 2011, 04:50 PM
10,000+ Club

Found a list of overboards from 2000-2010. Considering how many people cruise the list is extremely short. Several are reported as naked, some seem to be definite suicides like the couple who had the DnD sign on their locked cabin door.

You cannot fall off a cruise ship while standing at the rail. You can fall off a cruise ship if you are sitting on the rail.

http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpa..._overboard.asp

The averages on the bottom are interesting-- basically if you are 41yo male from CA or FL sailing on the Carnival Conquest be very careful.

Old November 5th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What would happen

Well, it is possible to get over the rail if you wanted to try. It would certainly not be easy to simply fall overboard. The railings are high enough that you can lean over a good bit and not have enough of your body over to fall.

That being said, let's presume the worst, and your long-lost enemy is aboard, sees you and decides to pitch you over the side, or you are drunk and try to play Titanic and stand on the railing. There are the issues of surviving the fall -- you would survive the fall if you went feet-first and kept your feet together and held your nose. If you fell off the top deck of some of today's very tall ships, that might be problematic.

Assuming you survived the fall, the next threat is the ship's screws. There is suction along the side near the screws and you can get sucked under. So if you are conscious, you would need to swim away from the side of the ship. If someone reports the man overboard immediately, the ship will make an immediate turn to push the stern away from the side where the person went overboard. (Note to everyone, if you see this happen, you want to yell "man overboard" and state which side of the ship.)

Now, if someone sees you and reports it, the ship will immediately go into a man overboard maneuver and try to find you and pick you up. That would likely mean coming close to where you are and putting a lifeboat in the water. This is something they practice, and know how to do, but hope they never have to.

For everyone's information, this is another use of the muster drill -- to find out if everyone is aboard if someone thinks someone went over the side!

If the ship doesn't find out until hours later, as has been the case, it is a whole different scenario. People have survived in warm waters, and in fact a couple of years ago, a passenger from one line was picked up by a cruise ship from another line hours later. In this situation, you want to be a good swimmer! If you are wearing blue jeans, it is possible to make a life preserver out of them, but that is a lesson for another day.

Previous cruises:
Uniworld RIVER AMBASSADOR - European Splendors, June, 2013
Disney DREAM - 4-Day Bahamas - January, 2013
Oceania RIVIERA - Accent on Italy - Oct. 24 - Nov. 3, 2012
MV ECLIPSE - 7 days in the Galapagos - June, 2012
HAL STATENDAM - 7 day Glacier excursion - June, 2010
Disney WONDER - 3-night Bahamas - Dec. 27-30, 2009
Oceania REGATTA - Scandinavian Splendors - Aug 8-22, 2009
Carnival FANTASY - 3-day 1990 or '91
USS HANCOCK (CVA-19) Two WestPac cruises 1969-71 Oops those weren't pleasure cruises!

Old November 5th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman455 View Post
Going overboard from a cruise ship is the number one thing that scares me! like what happen if someone don't like you on the ship? im sure the person can just flip you overboard or what happens if you fell over by accident?
You will die.

Old November 5th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Someone's just been rescued-alive- from Ventura's Transatlantic....in the middle of the night! It's on the News page of this site.
There was a rescue in the North Sea from a ferry recently.....a crew member has said to friends of mine that there was a drunken game of "chicken", where you have to run and jump onto the first rail- and lean over; then the 2nd; then the 3rd....
Jo.

Old November 5th, 2011, 07:51 PM
5,000+ Club

if you want to go overboard you have to 'work' at it, its not just gonna happen.
dont worry just go and enjoy and if it bothers you that much dont get so close to the railings

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE BREATHS WE TAKE~~BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

NCL STAR~(MR)_12-05/2-07/12-08/2-11
NCL STAR~(PC)_12-09
NCL JEWEL~(W.Carib)_1-10)
NCL SUN~(E/W.Carib)_12-10*/12-11*
NCL SPIRIT~(CN/NE)_ 9/08
RCL LegendoftheSeas-(HI)_11/04
CCL Victory-(W.Carib)_ 1/04
X Mercury-(AK)_7/02
USNS BARRETT-(Guam, HI, CA)_7/64

Old November 5th, 2011, 08:17 PM
5,000+ Club

For kids I think that it is a legitimate concern. There would need to be a little climbing involved but kids will be kids and I would worry about the under 6 crowd the most. Anyone who says that they have never lost sight of their kids for a moment or ever forgot to lock the doors etc is not being honest. If I brought a small child out on deck and couldn't find them for 30 seconds I would absolutely panic. For older kids and adults I think that just by looking over the rail you know that it is dangerous and not a place to fool around by.

Old November 5th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karysa View Post
For kids I think that it is a legitimate concern. There would need to be a little climbing involved but kids will be kids and I would worry about the under 6 crowd the most. Anyone who says that they have never lost sight of their kids for a moment or ever forgot to lock the doors etc is not being honest. If I brought a small child out on deck and couldn't find them for 30 seconds I would absolutely panic. For older kids and adults I think that just by looking over the rail you know that it is dangerous and not a place to fool around by.
Not all that legitimate of a concern. I cannot recall any instances of kids falling overboard by themselves.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess November 2012
Caribbean Princess May 2010
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Caribbean Princess July 2006
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004

Old November 5th, 2011, 08:30 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug R. View Post
Not all that legitimate of a concern. I cannot recall any instances of kids falling overboard by themselves.
That's reassuring but have you ever heard of a 10 year old getting a mountain bike break stuck 3 inches into her thigh after a fall and the firefighters cutting the bike off of her. LOL (yep, you're right, my kid!)