Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
- Read thousands of Celebrity Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Celebrity Cruise Deals
- Write a Celebrity Cruise Review
- Find Your Celebrity Roll Call
See posts about:
Celebrity Constellation
Celebrity Millennium
Celebrity Summit

Celebrity Eclipse
Celebrity Reflection
Celebrity Xpedition

Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Silhouette

Celebrity Infinity
Celebrity Solstice

Old November 4th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default How often does entertainment change on same ship?

We sailed on the Equinox in April this year (10 day Ultimate Caribbean). Now we"re booked on her again in January 2012 (11 day Ultimate Caribbean)

Any ideas how much of the entertainment will be the same?

Old November 4th, 2011, 09:38 PM
10,000+ Club

The solo acts (comedian, juggler and the like) would most likely be different. They change quite often, sometimes only staying on board for one or two cruises at a time. The big stage shows last much longer as it takes so long to train the singers and dancers, and so much money has been put into the costumes and staging. Those shows can go on for a year or more. The bands (party band, dance band and so forth) generally have 3 to 6 month contracts so you might not have the same band, but you might. And the a cappella groups will probably not be the same, as their contracts are much shorter, in the range of a month or so.

Old November 5th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisestitch View Post
The solo acts (comedian, juggler and the like) would most likely be different. They change quite often, sometimes only staying on board for one or two cruises at a time. The big stage shows last much longer as it takes so long to train the singers and dancers, and so much money has been put into the costumes and staging. Those shows can go on for a year or more. The bands (party band, dance band and so forth) generally have 3 to 6 month contracts so you might not have the same band, but you might. And the a cappella groups will probably not be the same, as their contracts are much shorter, in the range of a month or so.
We're just back from Solstice yesterday and as part of our Select member status, got a back stage tour. Someone in our group asked how long the big productions ran for and we were told 3 - 5 years! I realise that they do take a lot of money, training etc., however we chose not to go and see these shows having seen them previously.

3rd May - RCCL Anthem of the Seas - Time to play in the bumper cars :-)
29th June - Celebrity Reflection - Eastern Med
29th August - RCCL Anthem of the Seas (again) - 3 nights probably won't be enough in May so booking for another 3 nights
25th October 2015 - Transatlantic on Allure but in a Loft - it's the only way to sail when on a TA!
http://allureta.weebly.com/
7th November 2015 - Oasis of the Seas
6th March 2016 - Eclipse Eastern Caribbean - 2 weeks of glorious sunshine (I hope)!

Old November 5th, 2011, 05:13 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlotusgirl View Post
We're just back from Solstice yesterday and as part of our Select member status, got a back stage tour. Someone in our group asked how long the big productions ran for and we were told 3 - 5 years! I realise that they do take a lot of money, training etc., however we chose not to go and see these shows having seen them previously.
The number continues to grow - just off Silhouette and we were in the Q & A for Select & Elite with the some of the production staff as well as Eric B. the VP Entertainment from Miami. One woman asked if the 3 production shows would be same when she comes back Jan. 2012.

He answered yes they would be the same in Jan. 2012 and for the next 7-8 yrs as well.

Old November 5th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

The big production shows are like soap operas---they can run for 30 to 40 years!

Old November 5th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default OP Reactions

Wow, those are all really insightful responses, albeit pretty depressing.

So here's my follow-up... would the main shows running on the same class of ship (Soltice for example) largely be the same, or pretty similar? If so, it forces me to give stronger consideration to trying other cruise lines. That said, shows are not a huge art of my cruise experience.

Old November 5th, 2011, 08:35 PM
10,000+ Club

I love shows. I think they used to add a new show every year and move shows around so that if you sailed consequetive yrs you would find at least one change. The last few yrs it has been the same shows over and over and it's getting old. There isn't that much planned entertainment and activities to choose from on X, so I'm getting bored.
coming up....X Silhouette 12/14, X Equinox 6/15 Admiral Cruises SS Emerald Seas 89,Sky Princess 12/92,RCCL Majesty 8/95,Celebrity Century 5/97,RCCL Voyager 4/00,RCCL Enchantment 11/01,X Millenium 2/02,X Millenium 12/03,X Millenium 11/04,RCCL Explorer 11/05,X Constellation 11/06,Carnival Liberty 2/07,RCCL Enchantment 5/07,RCCL Enchantment 9/07,Caribbean Princess 12/07,RCCL Navigator 2/08,Caribbean Princess 5/08,RCCL Enchantment 9/08, HAL Westerdam 12/08, RCCL Navigator 2/09, RCCL Enchantment 9/09, Emerald Princess 11/09,X Solstice 1/10, RCCL Navigator 12/10,X Solstice 1/11,Ruby Princess 4/11, X Solstice 12/11, RCCL Liberty 1/12, Ruby Princess 3/12, RCCL Majesty 9/12, RCCL Allure 12/12, RCCL Liberty 2/13, X Silhouette 3/13, RCCL Liberty 11/13, X Silhouette 12/13, RCCL Liberty 2/14, RCCL Vision 4/14, X Reflection 06/14, RCCL Vision 8/14

Old November 6th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, I agree, a couple of changes would liven up the evening programs.
Celebrity Solstice Sept 2010
Celebrity Equinox May 2010
Royal Carib Brilliance/Seas Apr 2009
Costa Serena Oct 2008
Celebrity Galaxy July 2006