Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
- Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Princess Cruise Deals
- Write a Princess Cruise Review
- Find Your Princess Roll Call
See posts about:
Caribbean Princess
Diamond Princess
Island Princess
Royal Princess
Sun Princess

Coral Princess
Emerald Princess
Ocean Princess
Ruby Princess
Star Princess

Crown Princess
Golden Princess
Pacific Princess
Sapphire Princess

Dawn Princess
Grand Princess
Regal Princess
Sea Princess

Old October 22nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Embarkation in Los Angeles

I couldn't seem to find anything in my documents about what time embarkation starts in Los Angeles, so I called Princess. The woman said embarkation starts at 12 noon, but she didn't sound so sure. Is that the official time but do they actually open embarkation a bit earlier? I'm taking a shared shuttle and they always overestimate the time, so I could be there really really early and it would be nice if I could get on the ship closer to 11 or 11:30. Anybody have any experience with this in L.A? Thanks in advance for your advice

Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:20 PM
5,000+ Club

Embarkation will most likely start between 11:00 and 11:30AM. It will depends on how quickly the Customs and Border Protection clearance goes for the previous cruise. After our Golden Hawaii cruise earlier this year, disembarkation started about 20 minutes earlier than scheduled so all pasenger were off the ship by 10:30. The disembarkation schedule we were given, which I still have, showed last group were due off at 10:45AM.

Pass Cruises
Festival's Bolero Dec98 E Car*Blackbeard's Pirate Lady Jan99 Bahamas*Sun's Carousel (Nordic Prince)Feb99 S.Car*Sun's Sunbird (Song of America)Sept99-W Med*Sun's Sundream (Song of Norway)Jan00 PC* Sea Pr June00-Alaska* Sun's Sundream (Song of Norway)Feb01 W Car* Grand PrFeb02 W.Car* Empress of the Seas July 02 Bermuda*Star Pr Feb03 Mex Riv* Enchantment of the Seas Mar03 E.Carib*Sun's Sunbird (Song of America)June03 W Med*Sun's Sunbird (Song of America)Jan04-S Car* Voyager of the Seas June 04 Canada* Sun's Sunbird (Song of America) Aug 04 W Med*Maasdam Mar05 S.Car* Costa's Mediterranea Apr06 E Car* Regal Princess Nov 06 PC* Serenade of the Seas Feb.07-S Car*Adventure of the Seas Mar07 S Car*Radiance of the Seas Sept07 Alaska &West Coast* Legend of the Seas Nov07- E Med*Radiance of the Seas May08Hawaii* X Century Dec08 West TA*Radiance of the Seas Apr-May09 Chile to San Diego*X Mercury Nov09 E.Caribbean*Radiance of the Seas Feb10 Mex. Riv*Grand Princess Apr10 East TA*X Summit Nov10 S. Car*X Summit Dec10 S Car*Golden Pr Feb11 Hawaii*X Constellation S. Car Mar11 Car*Emerald Pr Nov-Dec11 S Car*X Silhouette Jan12 E Car*X Century Mar/Apr 12Hawaii*Caribbean Pr Apr12 East TA*Caribbean Pr May12 British Isles*X Eclipse Dec12 S Car*Voyager of the Seas Feb/Mar13 Oz/NZ*X Century Nov/Dec13 Hawaii*Ruby Pr Feb14 W Car*X Century Feb14 E Car*Serenade of the Seas Apr/May14 East TA*

Last edited by robtulipe; October 22nd, 2011 at 02:28 PM.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default San Pedro...load em up!!!

As Platinum, have boarded in LA as early as 1115hrs and been in stateroom by 1145-1200hrs. As previous poster has indicated it depends when the Customs and Border Protection crew and whether they got up early enough and or when they get onboard they got up out of the right side of bed.

Have met some super agents and others were real miserable SOBs so that can determine the length of time it takes to clear the ship of all pax.

Ciao for now!!!
Oriana (P & O) 1973 - San Francisco to Auckland
Atlas (Epirotiki) 1987 - Eastern Mediterranean
Viking Serenade (RCCL) 1998 - Los Angeles to Baja rtn
Paradise (Carnival) 2003 - Miami Southern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas (RCCL) 2004 - Miami Western Caribbean
Coral Princess (Princess) 2006 - FLL to YVR
Golden Princess(Princess) 2008 - LAX to YVR
Star Princess (Princess) 2009 - SYD to LAX

Diamond Princess (Princess) 2010 - WTT/YVR

Crown Princess (Princess)
2011 - British Isles
SOU/SOU

Star Princess (Princess)
Mar 2013 - SCL (Valparaiso)/LAX

Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Thanks

I appreciate the thoughtful responses. It's what I was hoping to hear. With the shared van and LA traffic, I might not get there until 12:30, or it could be as early as 10:30. If I get there on the early side and don't have to sit around for an hour and a half, it'd be nice. Thanks again for the info.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Last year they didn't start until 1 PM becasue of customs, had a lot of people standing outside for a long time.

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:54 PM
20,000+ Club

We have done a number of cruises out of San Pedro and find that the ships usually start embarkation about 1130. We arrive about 1100 go thru the pre-boarding procedure and invariably are in our cabin by noon.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old October 22nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have taken a lot of cruises out of LA. We are always in our cabin no later than 12:30PM

Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:02 PM
10,000+ Club

It seems to vary from cruise to cruise in our experience. Others have said, it depends on how quickly the previous cruise's disembarkation went.

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home

Old October 22nd, 2011, 10:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Get 'em off, get 'em on

I appreciate all the great responses, and you're all so right--it just depends on a lot of factors. The last Panama Canal cruise I took was two years ago out of Ft. Lauderdale and they had a freak incident--not one but TWO fire extinguishers exploded and they closed the port while homeland security investigated. We didn't get on the ship until 3 p.m. The last time I disembarked in LA was at the Long Beach pier and they only had two immigration agents for the whole ship. It took so long, I had to pay for another day of parking, so I can imagine how delayed the embarkation procedure was. Still, all in all, I can hope things go smoothly this Tuesday and I don't have to cool my heels too long. I must say that everything has fallen into place so nicely with this cruise, and I've been so lucky with every detail (including a visit from the upgrade fairy) that I just kinda expect the best at every juncture.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 10:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

we always arrive at 10:45 or so and are on board by 11:15 to 11:45
Carnival Holiday 1992; RCCL Monarch of the Seas 1994; Celebrity Infinity 2001; Star Princess 2003; Diamond Princess 2004, 2005; Sapphire Princess 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011; Emerald Princess 2008; RCCL Mariner of the Seas 2010; Golden Princess 2003, 2007, 2011; Celebrity Equinox 2013; Celebrity Equinox 2014; Grand Princess Alaska 2014

Old October 22nd, 2011, 10:51 PM
5,000+ Club

It really depends in LA. If there haven't been any prior catastrophes, you'll most likely begin boarding sometime between 11:30-12:30.

Upcoming Cruises:
2015: Crown Princess
2015: Rhine River Cruise-ZRH to AMS
2015: Star Princess

Old October 22nd, 2011, 11:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

I sailed out of San Pedro two weeks ago and the check-in desks were already open when we arrived at 11:00 a.m. We started boarding at 11:30 a.m. (elite & platinum priority boarding). We were the last passengers in the priority line and the general line started right after us at about 11:45 a.m. Bon voyage!
Cunard, Sagafjord (Pacific Coastal), Admiral Cruises, Star Dancer (Mexico), HAL old Noordam (Caribbean), NCL Norway (Caribbean), NCL Seaward (Caribbean), NCL Pride of America (Hawaii), Celebrity Century (Caribbean), Celebrity Mercury (Caribbean), Celebrity Constellation (Scandinavia/Russia), Celebrity Infinity (Hawaii), Renaissance R4 (currently sailing as Ocean Princess) (Tahiti), old Crown Princess (Caribbean), Dawn Princess (Alaska), Star Princess (Australia/New Zealand and Mexico), Golden Princess (Mediterranean, Canada/New England, Mediterranean/Transatlantic, and Hawaii), Sapphire Princess (Alaska, California Coastal, Mexican Riviera, Mexico Christmas Cruise, 4-day Coastal Getaway x 2, and Pacific Coastal), new Crown Princess (Bermuda/Caribbean, California Coastal, and Mexico Christmas Cruise), Emerald Princess (Canada/New England)