Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old September 30th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default What's up with Bermuda?

Bermuda has been hammered with hurricanes and weather this year and it looks like another is on its way this weekend.

I would like to get your opinion on Bermuda. Are there months that are too cold to be in the water comfortably? What are the best months to go?

What do you like and what did you miss?

How is it docked for 3 days vs moving port to port? This is the reason we have not done Bermuda. I thought I would miss the sailing overnight and waking up to a new port feeling.

Click the link below to read my NCL Star 01/29/12 review with pics:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1569159

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Love Bermuda, To dock three days is a pleasure, there is no rushing to get back at a certain time and you really get to explore the island which is beautiful. I am leaving on the gem this Sunday cant wait.

Old September 30th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Bermuda is beautiful. We're been there many times over the years on different cruise ships. Ship docks for 3-5 days, and it's the most wonderful experience.

I think this year's hurricane season is just very unusual. We were on NCL Gem on 9/4 and thought we'd get to Bermuda but got diverted to Bahamas/Florida. Not out choice, but OK.

I would say the best time is May/June. It was out first time going in Sept, and the hurricane diverted us. All previous times we went in May and it was perfect. Next year we're going again to Bermuda, but this time in May
2013 May in Bermuda on BRAND NEW NCL Breakaway 7 days - Aft B1 Balcony Deck 14. Moved mid-cruise to deck 10 mini-suite - lots of noise from Spice H2O at night, impossible to sleep || 2012 December in Bahamas and Florida on NCL Jewel for 7 days in 2 bedroom Family SC Ruby Suite on Deck 11 || 2012 May in Bermuda on NCL Star for 7 days in Penthouse SE Suite Deck 10 on bow || 2011 Sept in Bahamas/Florida [Hurricane Katia in Bermuda] on NCL Gem for 7 days in Aft Deck 8 BA Balcony || 2010 April in Bermuda NCL Dawn 7 Days Balcony || 2009 Sept in Canada on NCL Dawn 7 Days in Aft Deck 10 BA Balcony || 2008 April in Bermuda on NCL Dawn 7 days Deck 9 Balcony
Prior Cruises on Royal Caribbean, Crown and Anchor: Diamond
2010 Dec in Caribbean on Royal's Explorer of the Seas 9 Days in Deck 10 Grand Suite || 2009 May in Bermuda on Royal's Explorer for 5 Days in Hump Deck 8 Balcony || 2007 May in Bermuda on Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas for 5 Days in deck 8 balcony || 2006 May in Bermuda on Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas for 7 days in Junior Suite || 2003 May in Bermuda on Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress for 7 days in Junior Suite

Last edited by RareBird; September 30th, 2011 at 12:24 PM.

Old September 30th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

to avoid any hurricanes and for perfect weather, i think it might be better to cruise in may-june, before the hurricane season begins.

Norwegian Breakaway - 2014; Carnival Splendor - 2014;Carnival Splendor - 2013; Norwegian Gem - 2012; Carnival Glory - 2010; Carnival Miracle - 2009

Old September 30th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've done Bermuda twice so far (May of 2010, and last July). I'll keep coming back because not only is the island beautiful, but since NCL docks there for two and a half days there's no anxiety of the ship leaving without you.

The month of May is almost perfect. The air temperature is very warm and the land looks really lush. The only downside for me is that I prefer warm water temperature and it's still a little chilly for me (77-78f when I went)

When I went last July, it was really, really humid. The island was still beautiful but the humidity was pretty intense. But, the water temperature was more closer to 86f which did feel good.

I'm sure the Bermuda port section can give you more advice on what to do, but the usual hot spots is Horseshoe Bay Beach. I also recommend taking a ferry over to St. George if you want to get more of a neighborhood vibe. It's quiet there, which is a huge plus.

Last edited by OchreHand; September 30th, 2011 at 12:50 PM.

Old September 30th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bermuda

bermuda is a fantastic Island. so much to see and do. We have been twice for those 3 day stays and still only scratching the surface. Bermuda is one of the few Islands I would like to spend more and more time on. it is very hot in the summer months but then the water is also that much warmer, so that aspect is very enjoyable. hurricanes are hit and miss each year. I would like to go in Sept. Weather is good, water is still very warm, I 'll take my shot with hurricanes.

Old September 30th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have been to Bermuda in August, three times, which is basically the height of hurricane season. We actually had pretty calm seas each time. Bermuda is amazing, and IMO the most beautiful place on earth. The time spent docked at the Dockyard is great. You can get off and on the ship with no hastle at any time. This is the first year we were not able to go due to my unemployment. However, we have another sailing scheduled for next October and we can't wait.

Norwegian Breakaway to Bermuda 9/22/2013
Norwegian Star to Bermuda 9/30/2012
Norwegian Dawn to Bermuda 8/15/2010
Norwegian Gem to The Bahamas 12/26/2009
Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda 8/02/2009
Norwegian Majesty to Bermuda 8/30/2008
Norwegian Majesty to The Bahamas 10/24/2007

Old September 30th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

We went in June, the weather & water were beautiful.
NCL Dawn 11/11/2012
NCL Epic 11/05/2011
NCL Epic 10/02/2010
NCL Gem 02/03/2010
NCL Dawn 06/07/2009
NCL Gem 04/05/2008
NCL POH 09/17/2007

Old September 30th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Exclamation Going 4 the first time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahine56 View Post
We went in June, the weather & water were beautiful.
DW & I are headed there for the first time 4 weeks from Sunday on the Gem.

I have some history(family) though, as my Cousin, who is about to retire from the AF(45 years!) was stationed there in the mid-1970's after his return from Vietnam.

I'm doing a private tour on Day 2, and a sponsored tour on Day 1(St. George). I do a lot of research on Vacations, and being a Ret. Teacher & Ret. Army Officer i'm somewhat the history buff...Even though I'm "retired" from full time teaching/sports coaching, I work from home in the sports media industry, and since we didn't do a "regular" vacation this summer we really need this trip! This will also be our first "Vacation" since 2002 that doesn't have at least one day of "work" built in....

Bill(DrFootball)
This Medal is awarded to the Aviator who has “distinguished himself by Heroism, Gallantry or Extraordinary Achievement while participating in aerial flight.” - The Army Distinguished Flying Cross
Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.95 final beta for Mac

Old September 30th, 2011, 02:31 PM
10,000+ Club

Bermuda hasn't been "hammered" by any hurricanes this year, it's just that hurricanes and tropical storms have been passing close enough to Bermuda, or more accurately to the route the cruise ships take between New York and Bermuda to require rerouting of several cruises. In fact Bermuda rarely takes a direct hit from a hurricane.

We've been cruising regularly to Bermuda for more than 20 years, and are going for a second time this year in late October, having already cruised there in late April. We have never been rerouted away from Bermuda or had our visit cut short during that time, although a couple of times we did get close enough to storms to have a very bumpy trip for a day.

We find Bermuda to be one of the most beautiful and peaceful places to visit, particularly among destinations easily reachable from the eastern US. After so many trips there we go for the mental tranquility it seems to bring us.

Old September 30th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Ditto ~ Ditto ~ Ditto !

October has our votes . Going again in 4 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhorseman View Post
Bermuda hasn't been "hammered" by any hurricanes this year, it's just that hurricanes and tropical storms have been passing close enough to Bermuda, or more accurately to the route the cruise ships take between New York and Bermuda to require rerouting of several cruises. In fact Bermuda rarely takes a direct hit from a hurricane.

We've been cruising regularly to Bermuda for more than 20 years, and are going for a second time this year in late October, having already cruised there in late April. We have never been rerouted away from Bermuda or had our visit cut short during that time, although a couple of times we did get close enough to storms to have a very bumpy trip for a day.

We find Bermuda to be one of the most beautiful and peaceful places to visit, particularly among destinations easily reachable from the eastern US. After so many trips there we go for the mental tranquility it seems to bring us.
Holland America Veendam ~ NYC to Bermuda~ Aug. 28th 2010 Great Trip ~ Great Ship ~ Best Staff ! Invited by Captain Rik to the Bridge upon sailing into Bermuda and on the way back to NYC at sunrise . Unforgettable .
Carnival Pride November 1-8th 2009 Baltimore MD. to Port Canaveral, Fl. Nassau & Freeport Bahamas.
Awesome ship !!! Best MDR ! Port of Baltimore is super organized !
Norwegian Dawn NYC - BERMUDA
October 19th - 26th 2008
Best Specialty restaurants !
Norwegian Crown 10/07 NYC ~ Bermuda
Still love this Ship !
Norwegian Crown 10/06 NYC ~ Bermuda
Great little Ship !
RCCL Explorer of the Seas July 2005
Miami to San Juan, St.Thomas, St.Maarten, Nassau Bahamas . Great cruise ~ BIG Ship !
Grand Princess 02 Ft. Lauderdale to San Juan, St.Thomas, St.Maarten, Nassau Bahamas . Gorgeous Ship ! Sabatini's specialty restaurant ~ the BEST!!

Old September 30th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

What will water temps be in mid October ?

Old September 30th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

What will water temps be in mid October ?

Old September 30th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Anybody know what water temps are in mid October ?

Old September 30th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Anybody know what water temps are in mid October ?

Old September 30th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by family cruisers View Post
Ditto ~ Ditto ~ Ditto !

We hope it's nice and calm...BTT we get there it will be early Nov.....

BTW, sry you won't be at the Sail Away after all, but we'll see you the next day @ the Meet & Greet..And I will try to look for you on 10/9 at MET Life...

Bill(DrFootball)
"Come in here dear boy have a cigar your gonna go far, your gonna fly high, your never gonna die, they're gonna love you" Roger Waters & David Gilmour Of PINK FLOYD from "Have a Cigar" off the album "Wish you were Here"-1975
Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.95 final beta for Mac

Old September 30th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Ditto ~ Ditto ~ Ditto !

What is the water temp in October ?

Old September 30th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Ditto ~ Ditto ~ Ditto !

What is the water temp in late October ?

Old September 30th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Looks like the water temp is the same as the air temp.
Here is a good website with weather info.

Old September 30th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sorry for repeats ! CC was experiencing some technical difficulties.