Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old September 11th, 2011, 01:31 PM
50,000+ Club

Default Confiscated walking cane Oasis last week

I had my little extension cord confiscated and was in the line to retreive items they took. My lighted dial alarm clock could not reach the edge of the desk without it. Like new and its a little 6 footer attached to the clock.

They hand searched all the luggage we carried on, and I only did carry ons, so that means they went thru all my underwear and everything else. Just as a warning if you plan to bring anything private. They hand searched everyone's luggage when I was boarding.

Their reason was with the extension cord, people might commit suicide. Yep, thats the reason they told me they took the little NEWish 6 ft cord. "people commit suicide with them".

... but I think its going a bit far to take away someone's solid wood cane they need for walking. A elderly person who needed it was not allowed a solid wooden cane as it was deemed it could be a weapon. (the guy was in his 70s or 80s and had to do without the support the whole week). So, bring a doctors excuse if you really need your cane.

Other than being way too hot for me, and the crazy security at the ship and airport, fabulous cruise.

Old September 11th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Poor guy, i would have made so much fuss if i was him. Guess a knife from dinner is not a weapon lol.

Old September 11th, 2011, 01:37 PM
50,000+ Club

You'd commit suicide with an extension cord? Why bring one...there are cords on the lamps in the cabin...or, just "jump" overboard...that'll do it! What idiocy!

Old September 11th, 2011, 01:42 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly333 View Post
... but I think its going a bit far to take away someone's solid wood cane they need for walking. A elderly person who needed it was not allowed a solid wooden cane as it was deemed it could be a weapon. (the guy was in his 70s or 80s and had to do without the support the whole week). So, bring a doctors excuse if you really need your cane.

You know, if it was almost anyone else, I would cry foul on this report. It just sounds too preposterous to be true. But I believe you, and I am shocked. This is absolutely unacceptable!!

Up next:
RCI - Explorer of the Seas 2014
RCI - Serenade of the Seas 2015 - a planned family vacation if son is not in medical school this year

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:

Princess - Grand Princess May 2014 Pacific Coastal
RCI - Serenade of the Seas March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean

RCI - Serenade of the Seas Feb 2014 - Bahamas - a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - 30th Anniversary cruise! - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Repo cruise Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance of the Seas June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis of the Seas May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer of the Seas Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty of the Seas August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer of the Seas April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision of the Seas Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico

Old September 11th, 2011, 02:01 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly333 View Post
Their reason was with the extension cord, people might commit suicide.

What???

A elderly person who needed it was not allowed a solid wooden cane as it was deemed it could be a weapon.

What???
Speechless

Last edited by madelinerose; September 11th, 2011 at 02:07 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 11th, 2011, 02:07 PM
10,000+ Club

Actually, RCI had better take a good hard look at the liability issue of taking away a necessary walking aid and then having the passenger fall and get hurt.

Goldstein, I am becoming more and more amazed at some of the dicisions being made by this company. How about THIINKING before acting?

Last edited by Ocean Boy; September 11th, 2011 at 02:10 PM.

Old September 11th, 2011, 02:12 PM
20,000+ Club

I sometimes need a cane and if they took it away from me I would have a lawsuit filed for violating more laws then I probably could name before we pulled out of port, that is ILLEGAL plain and simple.

Old September 11th, 2011, 02:15 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Boy View Post
Actually, RCI had better take a good hard look at the liability issue of taking away a necessary walking aid and then having the passenger fall and get hurt.

Goldstein, I am becoming more and more amazed at some of the dicisions being made by this company. How about THIINKING before acting?
There has to be more to this story. I have a hard time following what the OP says but if I read it right they saw the cane when they went to retrieve their own item and weren't present when it was confiscated. I have a friend who collects canes and many of have hidden features. I wonder if that was the case with this cane.

Old September 11th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

That is unthinkable..... I broke my ankle in port earlier this year and if it hadn't been for the generosity of a friend who had her cane with her and didn't need it, I would have had a great deal of difficulty. Now you can't have one???????

Old September 11th, 2011, 02:22 PM
10,000+ Club

Hmmm...I can understand hightened security for 9/11, but taking an elderly person's cane is going way too far, unless there is more to this incident than the OP knows.

116 nights at sea (58 with RCI):
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/17/14
Celebrity Summit (7 nights NJ to Bermuda) 8/25/13
RCCL Jewel of the Seas (7 days Southern - Barbados route) 5/25/13
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (9 days NJ to Bermuda, Labadee, San Juan and St Maarten) 5/24/12
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (NJ to Bahamas - New Years cruise) 12/30/11
RCCL Allure of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) 8/21/11
Caribbean Princess (9 days NY to Bermuda, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk) 7/29/10 REVIEW
Caribbean Princess (Canada/New England) 8/24/08 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 8/26/07 REVIEW
RCCL Mariner of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) 8/20/06
Carnival Miracle (NY to Bahamas) 6/26/04 REVIEW
RCCL Adventure of the Seas (Southern - Aruba route) 8/24/03
RCCL Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 8/17/02
Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean) 5/90
Cunard Countess (Southern Caribbean) 6/89
Home Lines Atlantic (NY to Bermuda) 7/88

Last edited by DonnaK; September 11th, 2011 at 02:22 PM.

Old September 11th, 2011, 02:31 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:

I am starting to wonder about this company. I love the ships and crew but the management leaves a lot to be desired. We are now looking at RCI less and less. They are no longer the same company that they were when I started cruising with them. Sad.

Old September 11th, 2011, 02:40 PM
5,000+ Club

I bring a monopod for my camera, its looks like a walking stick, wonder about that.

Old September 11th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaK View Post
Hmmm...I can understand hightened security for 9/11, but taking an elderly person's cane is going way too far, unless there is more to this incident than the OP knows.
Hi,

I would agree with you, that there might be more to the incident.

Sometimes some of the rules do not make any sense to 'me' because I do not know the whole story.

Cruise lines do not want to make my vacation / cruise any more difficult or stressful, but if safety is the concern ( and I might not see it that way) they have to do what they see as necessary.

Old September 11th, 2011, 02:57 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyitsmema View Post
There has to be more to this story. I have a hard time following what the OP says but if I read it right they saw the cane when they went to retrieve their own item and weren't present when it was confiscated. I have a friend who collects canes and many of have hidden features. I wonder if that was the case with this cane.
The OP did make an estimate as to the person's age. I would think that means that its being taken away was witnessed or the person was spoken with sometime during the cruise.

Old September 11th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Wow. I think that's a first I've heard about someone using it to commit suicide. And then taking someone's cane saying it can be used as a weapon? Seriously.. Both those reasons don't make sense for embarking a cruise ship.

I'm guessing they have some people who are not properly trained and are guessing. They may have been told about the cord not being allowed but forgot why. And that maybe a baseball bat can't be brought on but was confused with a cane because it was a long stick.

I work major events and things like this happen at the arena/stadium/ballparks I work at. The security makes mistakes all the time because the either can read (it's spelled out on the box in front of them) or they aren't trained properly, or they just don't care.

Firefly - you can ask for an extension cord from your cabin steward next time if they take your cord.

Is it cruise time yet?

Carnival Dream 12/7/2014

Independence of the Seas 10/25/2015

Radiance of the Seas 04/20/2016

Old September 11th, 2011, 03:09 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
The OP did make an estimate as to the person's age. I would think that means that its being taken away was witnessed or the person was spoken with sometime during the cruise.
I think they might have seen the person picking up the cane at the same time they were retrieving their extension cord, not sure though.

I still think there is more to this than meets the eye. I wonder if they cane owner left it behind somewhere and was retrieving it. I had to go to a mall in my area to see if the mall office had my mother's friend's cane that she had left in a shopping cart. She had laid it on the rack under the basket when she went into the store and had pushed the carriage out to her car after shopping so had never needed the cane to get around. Her floral cane was not turned into the mall office but they had at least a half dozen other canes that had been.

Last edited by reallyitsmema; September 11th, 2011 at 03:10 PM.

Old September 11th, 2011, 03:17 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyitsmema View Post
I think they might have seen the person picking up the cane at the same time they were retrieving their extension cord, not sure though.

I still think there is more to this than meets the eye. I wonder if they cane owner left it behind somewhere and was retrieving it. I had to go to a mall in my area to see if the mall office had my mother's friend's cane that she had left in a shopping cart. She had laid it on the rack under the basket when she went into the store and had pushed the carriage out to her car after shopping so had never needed the cane to get around. Her floral cane was not turned into the mall office but they had at least a half dozen other canes that had been.
That all makes sense. I just hope that you are right. My father never would have been able to get around on a ship without the aid of a cane to help with his balance. If they ever tried to take away his cane I'd be more than just a little upset.

Old September 11th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just about anything not locked down on the ship can be a weapon.

Cruise lines need to be careful they don't cross the line and violate the Americans with Disabilities Act.

NCL POA Aug/06, NCL Dream Feb/07, DCL Magic Apr/08, NCL Pearl Nov/09, DCL Magic Oct/10, DCL Dream May/11, RCL LOS Oct/11, NCL Star 10/12, DCL Fantasy Dec/13, NCL Sun Dec/14, DCL Fantasy April/15, RCL April/16

Old September 11th, 2011, 03:24 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatiger View Post
Just about anything not locked down on the ship can be a weapon.

Cruise lines need to be careful they don't cross the line and violate the Americans with Disabilities Act.
I am not sure that the act applies to foreign registered ships.

Old September 11th, 2011, 03:24 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
That all makes sense. I just hope that you are right. My father never would have been able to get around on a ship without the aid of a cane to help with his balance. If they ever tried to take away his cane I'd be more than just a little upset.
My dad would have hit them with it if they tried to take it.

Maybe the OP will come back and explain more of this story but if they are going to start taking canes, everyone should unload their stock now before all the lawsuits start rolling in from people falling because they couldn't keep their canes.