Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Thomson Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old August 9th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Destiny 25th Aug - anyone coming?

we're off in just over 2 weeks for a week of cruising the med on Destiny - flying out 25th Aug, so looking forward to some sun! did Destiny this time last year and it was exceedingly wonderfully hot - just what I need

is anyone joining us?? would be nice to say hi to a few forumers!
Thomson Destiny August 2010
Thomson Dream April 2011
Thomson Destiny August 2011
Thomson Celebration December 2011
Thomson Celebration August 2012
Thomson Celebration August 2013

Last edited by Ceabea; August 9th, 2011 at 05:24 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Destiny 25th August

Hi, my wife and I are going on the Destiny on the 18th, and will still be there when you arrive for our second week, Can't wait, this will be our 4th cruise.(3rd with Thomsons) Hope to see you there.

Old August 11th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Destiny 25 August

Hi
Yes we are on The Destiny for those two weeks - we are two couples in our fifties/sixtyish! If it's anything like last year we all should have a fantastic time - can't wait - hope to meet you Kind regards Chris

Old August 11th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

oh good - was beginning to think we were getting the ship to ourselves there

Pete and I can usually be found on the back deck outside the oaklahoma lounge with a drink about 5.30-6pm, providing its not too busy with smokers (it IS a smoking deck so if theres a queue we let the smokers have the tables and go find somewhere else to sit LOL) migvht see you there is you want to swing by and say hello

this is us! http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9ff2f4e&type=1
Thomson Destiny August 2010
Thomson Dream April 2011
Thomson Destiny August 2011
Thomson Celebration December 2011
Thomson Celebration August 2012
Thomson Celebration August 2013

Old August 12th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Destiny 25th August

Will look out for you - know where you mean kind regards Chris

Old August 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceabea View Post
we're off in just over 2 weeks for a week of cruising the med on Destiny - flying out 25th Aug, so looking forward to some sun! did Destiny this time last year and it was exceedingly wonderfully hot - just what I need

is anyone joining us?? would be nice to say hi to a few forumers!
Hi,
We cruised the the Med on Destiny in 1999, when she belonged to Airtours and was called the Sunbird.
It was our first cruise and we had a wonderful time. We didn't cruise again for some years and then tried Cunard, Royal Caribbean (the majority) and, most recently, Princess.

I was interested to see that Sunbird/Destiny was with Thomson now and was looking at a Canaries cruise for next year. However, I have been a bit concerned at reports by some forum members that she is "a bit of a rustbucket" and in need of a good overhaul.

I would appreciate any input from people who have cruised on her recently. She was a former RC ship that had just had a renovation when we sailed on her, so was in tip top condition, and I would like to know what condition she is in now, especially from cruisers who have tried other lines and can compare.

We would be going to the Canaries predominantly to see the islands, so I would not avoid the ship just because I was worried she wouldn't be in the same league as QM2 or Liberty of the Seas etc, but it would be horrible if we were disappointed with the ship, seeing as she introduced us to the joys of cruising and we have such happy memories of her.

One thing, though, we have NEVER been entertained so well on any of the ships we've sailed since the Sunbird, with extremely talented and professional dancers and singers

Many thanks.
Helen