Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > St. Martin/St. Maarten
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Haylersmom's Avatar
Haylersmom Haylersmom is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 116
Default Divi Little Bay

I'm planning on going to Divi Little Bay. I'm a little confused and had a few questions.

Is this a private beach? Pay to get in?
Is a taxi the only way to get there?
How far away from the Phillipsburg port is it?
What water sports do they have? (we were thinking of a banana boat ride)

I heard it's a fun & appropriate place for kids. I would appreciate any advice you can offer.
__________________




KARI
Azure Seas -199?
Majesty of the Seas -1998
Monarch of the Seas -1999
Voyager of the Seas -2000 & 2004
Celebrity Horizon -2001
Serenade of the Seas -2003
Norwegian Dawn -2006
Explorer of the Seas 2010
Carnival Dream 2011
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old July 30th, 2011, 01:08 AM
gtaylor gtaylor is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,759
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haylersmom View Post
I'm planning on going to Divi Little Bay. I'm a little confused and had a few questions.

Is this a private beach? Pay to get in?
Is a taxi the only way to get there?
How far away from the Phillipsburg port is it?
What water sports do they have? (we were thinking of a banana boat ride)

I heard it's a fun & appropriate place for kids. I would appreciate any advice you can offer.
All beaches on the island are public, no fee.

Taxi is the best way to get there. About $4 per person.

One mile across the bay, a bit farther by land.

(click)

Water sports? Let me Google That For You: Divi Little Bay water sports

It's certainly not the best beach on the island, but it's clean and should be suitable for children.

gary
__________________
A succinct signature is a superb signature.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old July 30th, 2011, 08:19 PM
mimi'sgirl mimi'sgirl is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 165
Default

gary- is Le Gallion a better beach than this? Looking for calm, clear water and a place to get a drink. We have two small kids.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old July 30th, 2011, 09:42 PM
gtaylor gtaylor is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,759
Default

I think that le Galion is a much better beach with what you're looking for, especially with the kids. It's known as 'Baby Beach' because of the clear, calm waters, but what do you think?

Divi:


(click)

le Galion:



gary
__________________
A succinct signature is a superb signature.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:02 PM
mimi'sgirl mimi'sgirl is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 165
Default

Thanks Gary..love your photo albums. Had my heart set on Le Galion then started to sway when reading about Divi. Is that the beach thats man made or was it Great Bay? Sorry OP to hijack thread but I think we are looking for the same thing in a beach.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Haylersmom's Avatar
Haylersmom Haylersmom is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 116
Default

Thanks Gary! I think Divi will be just fine for us, especially if we can stop by Gizmos!(heard about the bird)
Last time I went to St. Maarten, about 12 years ago, I walked down the dock into the shopping area, took a left and went to the beach on the left. Is this where the boat still docks?
I don't mind any posts added here, since it's all helpful to me too!
__________________




KARI
Azure Seas -199?
Majesty of the Seas -1998
Monarch of the Seas -1999
Voyager of the Seas -2000 & 2004
Celebrity Horizon -2001
Serenade of the Seas -2003
Norwegian Dawn -2006
Explorer of the Seas 2010
Carnival Dream 2011
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:58 PM
gtaylor gtaylor is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,759
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi'sgirl View Post
Thanks Gary..love your photo albums. Had my heart set on Le Galion then started to sway when reading about Divi. Is that the beach thats man made or was it Great Bay? Sorry OP to hijack thread but I think we are looking for the same thing in a beach.


Both beaches are man-augmented, Great Bay Beach more-so.

gary
__________________
A succinct signature is a superb signature.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old July 30th, 2011, 11:11 PM
gtaylor gtaylor is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,759
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haylersmom View Post
Thanks Gary! I think Divi will be just fine for us, especially if we can stop by Gizmos!(heard about the bird)
Last time I went to St. Maarten, about 12 years ago, I walked down the dock into the shopping area, took a left and went to the beach on the left. Is this where the boat still docks?
I don't mind any posts added here, since it's all helpful to me too!
A lot of people do just fine with Divi Little Bay, and it's close and cheap and easy to get to.

12 years ago things were a lot different in Great Bay.

You very likely anchored and were tendered into Philipsburg, to the Little Pier. Go back in this thread and look at the Google Earth shot I posted.

They would have dropped you into shopping and near the middle of Great Bay Beach, which today is fine for sunning, but I wouldn't go into the water there because of concerns about pollution.

That same Google Earth shot shows the relative positions of the Little Pier, Divi and the new Cruise Facility. (Which has added the new Mega-Liner pier since the shot.)

gary
__________________
A succinct signature is a superb signature.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old July 31st, 2011, 09:20 AM
Karysa Karysa is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi'sgirl View Post
gary- is Le Gallion a better beach than this? Looking for calm, clear water and a place to get a drink. We have two small kids.
Le Gallion is a beautiful, natural, authentic beach and it is the perfect beach for small children. Since it is a great family beach it does however get very busy on weekends as it is the preferred beach for many family gatherings.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old August 10th, 2011, 06:41 PM
luv2travel29's Avatar
luv2travel29 luv2travel29 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 717
Default

we did divi beach on our very first cruise. my son was 9 at the time. half day there then headed to maho beach.. it was a perfect day...

at divi we did snorkeling and my DH and DS did wave runners rented right on the beach... then we just relaxed on the beach...

we took a taxi from the pier and there were taxis waiting there when we wanted to head to maho...
__________________
~~~~ Jill ~~~~

1st Cruise ~ RCCL Explorer of the Seas April 2006 We are addicted!!

DISNEY MAGIC - Feb. 2007
RCCL Mariner of the Seas -July 2007
Carnival Victory to Canada ~ Aug 2008
RCCL Explorer 9 niter - Feb. 2009
Carnival Triumph - Labor Day 2009
CARNIVAL MIRACLE - Summer 2010
CARNIVAL DESTINY - ANNUAL GIRL TRIP - Oct. 2010
DISNEY DREAM - August 2011
FREEDOM OF THE SEAS - April 2012

NEXT UP: NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY
BERMUDA BOUND
AUGUST 2014
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old August 11th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Haylersmom's Avatar
Haylersmom Haylersmom is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2travel29 View Post
we did divi beach on our very first cruise. my son was 9 at the time. half day there then headed to maho beach.. it was a perfect day...

at divi we did snorkeling and my DH and DS did wave runners rented right on the beach... then we just relaxed on the beach...

we took a taxi from the pier and there were taxis waiting there when we wanted to head to maho...

Thanks, good to know!
__________________




KARI
Azure Seas -199?
Majesty of the Seas -1998
Monarch of the Seas -1999
Voyager of the Seas -2000 & 2004
Celebrity Horizon -2001
Serenade of the Seas -2003
Norwegian Dawn -2006
Explorer of the Seas 2010
Carnival Dream 2011
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old August 11th, 2011, 04:43 PM
sofaman61's Avatar
sofaman61 sofaman61 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Georgia
Posts: 138
Default

We were there 4 weeks ago. Easy taxi ride $4 pp , maybe 10 mins.
Just when you get out of taxi, just walk out on the beach and the beach dude will set you up a lounge chair & umbrella for $5 each. Fyi...when you get out of the taxi there will be a woman hawking timeshares & some kind of deal...just keep walking out to beach.
Great beach, extra clear water & warm. 2 beach huts there, one I think was renting jet skis, not sure what else. The one I went to rented snorkel gear, floats, etc. We rented the snorkel gear & my boys had a blast snorkeling around some rock groins off each end of beach.
A great beach bar/grill is there too. Good food. Gizmo's, it's named after the resident macaw parrot. He was quite entertaining.
My family of 4 were just going there for an hour or 2 & planned on going to Maho to see the planes but we all changed our minds & stayed at Divi Little bay all day. A fantastic day. Our boys are 15 & 12.
Hope this helps.
__________________
Carnival Dream, Eastern Carib 2011
Holland America Maasdam, New Eng/Canada 2009
Norwegian Star, Alaska 2008
Carnival Sensation, Western Carib 2004
Carnival Sensation, Western Carib 2003
Carnival Fantasy, Bahamas 2001
Princess, Alaska 1994
Carnival Mardi Gras, Bahamas 1987
Carnival Jubilee, Eastern Carib 1985
Costa Flavia, Bahamas 1980
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old August 11th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Karysa Karysa is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,370
Default

I too would choose LeGallion over Little Bay for a beach day. For small children, Le Gallion and Pinel Island are the two best beaches on the island IMHO. It is an authentic Caribbean Beach. Little Bay is an ok beach and I recommend it for people who have a morning excursion and want a quick beach to get to and from in the afternoon. The islanders love LeGallion and many spend time on the weekends at this beach so it can get quite busy on those days.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old September 12th, 2011, 01:16 AM
oldbubbleeyes oldbubbleeyes is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: RI USA
Posts: 9
Default beach/maho dilenma

Hi, I am going in circles with these posts, yet learning so much. I too am heading to St.Maarten for the first time on a cruise and don't know what to do. After reading this, I think I am between Little Bay-Divi and Le Gallion Beach. We also want to hit Maho Beach for the planes and not sure which beach to closer or easier accessible. We were gonna do Mullet but it sounds like people prefer these other 2. Can someone, maybe Gary, help us with a gameplan? We are 2 adults with a 17 and 15 year old. We are looking to relax with a beach day, maybe light snorkeling and swimming, with drinks and bathroom facility. And allow for time to go see the planes. Thanks.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Karysa Karysa is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbubbleeyes View Post
Hi, I am going in circles with these posts, yet learning so much. I too am heading to St.Maarten for the first time on a cruise and don't know what to do. After reading this, I think I am between Little Bay-Divi and Le Gallion Beach. We also want to hit Maho Beach for the planes and not sure which beach to closer or easier accessible. We were gonna do Mullet but it sounds like people prefer these other 2. Can someone, maybe Gary, help us with a gameplan? We are 2 adults with a 17 and 15 year old. We are looking to relax with a beach day, maybe light snorkeling and swimming, with drinks and bathroom facility. And allow for time to go see the planes. Thanks.
Unless your 17 and 15 year olds want beach toys such as jet skis (Little Bay) or Kite or Wind surfing (Le Galion) I would skip these two beaches and head straight to Mullet. Other than the bathroom facilities being better I just can't see how anyone who has been to both Mullet and Little Bay can say that Little Bay is a nicer beach. It's a resort beach, a decent resort beach on St. Maarten but really nothing more IMHO. Le Galion, well that is another story. Le Galion is the real deal but for what you want to do Mullet is your best choice. Take a taxi to Mullet, snorkel by the rocks and enjoy this gorgeous beach. The washroom facilities are gross, it is true but for a few hours this beach is worth putting up with them and you are not traveling with small children so you should be just fine. When you are ready just walk the less than 15 minutes over to Maho. No need to wait for a taxi or anything like that. Do a search on here for walking directions from Mullet to Maho.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old October 5th, 2011, 04:05 PM
lradle's Avatar
lradle lradle is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Olyphant, PA
Posts: 32
Default

Can you use the pool and bathroom at Little Divi Bay Resort? Is the bar on the beach?
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old October 12th, 2011, 02:15 PM
metairiegal's Avatar
metairiegal metairiegal is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,064
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lradle View Post
Can you use the pool and bathroom at Little Divi Bay Resort? Is the bar on the beach?
I'm wondering the same thing.

Is there a water taxi to/from the Oasis of the Seas to Little Bay or just a regular taxi cab? And, how easy will it be to get a taxi back to the Oasis?

Also, I read in a post above that Great Bay is polluted. What about Little Bay?
__________________
Past cruises:
Bermuda Star, Majestic, Oceanic (2), Noordam, Constitution, Vera Cruz, Nieuw Amsterdam, Rotterdam (2), Westerdam, Veendam, Rotterdam VI, Maasdam, Grand Princess (3), Ocean Princess, Explorer of the Seas, Golden Princess, Disney Magic (2), Voyager of the Seas, Disney Wonder (3), Emerald Princess, Disney Dream (2), Oasis of the Seas, Disney Fantasy, Zuiderdam, Allure of the Seas, Eurodam, Ruby Princess




Last edited by metairiegal; October 12th, 2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: added last question
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:05 PM
ljzelenz ljzelenz is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Charlotte,NC,USA
Posts: 62
Default

I would love answers to the last question of this post ? THanks in advance.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Karysa Karysa is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljzelenz View Post
I would love answers to the last question of this post ? THanks in advance.
Little Bay gets good marks for water quality. No issues reported with this beach and in fact it was rewarded for being the cleanest beach on the Dutch side of the island if memory serves me.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.
Cookie ConsentCookie Policy