Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old June 8th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Toiletries

I will be sailing on Serenade of the Seas this summer. It will be my first Royal Caribbean cruise. What toiletries, if any, are provided in the cabins? I imagine it will be just like a hotel room which usually provides shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion. But I just want to make sure. Also do they restock these items throughout the cruise?

Oh and are there blow dryers in the cabin?

Thanks! Your answers will assist me with my packing.

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Bring your own! I've heard that the toiletries provided with RCI are anything but nice, same with the hairdryer, they say to bring your own as well

*Upcoming*
~NCL Epic - 3/23/14

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTraveler08 View Post
Bring your own! I've heard that the toiletries provided with RCI are anything but nice, same with the hairdryer, they say to bring your own as well

UGH! Really??? That may mean one less pair of shoes in my suitcase if I have to bring the darned hair dryer!

Adventure of the Seas '11
Navigator of the Seas '06
Majesty of the Seas '96

Last edited by sherlynn; June 8th, 2011 at 08:44 PM.

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default soap and soap

You get a dispenser in the shower with a white liquid which could be used as
shampoo,liquid soap, and conditioner.
And you get 2 little bars of soap replaced periodically. And a hair dryer.

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The lotion in the dispenser in the shower is a multi-purpose gel. For most men, it will serve as a soap and shampoo. For most women, it will not be sufficient. Most women will want to bring their own. The hair dryer is not super powerful but DW finds that it is sufficient and she does not bring her own.

Old June 8th, 2011, 10:06 PM
20,000+ Club

No matter what cruise line or hotel, I always take my own toiletries. Same with the blow dryer. If the provided dryer turns out OK, then I leave mine packed into the stowed carry on. If it is less than adequate (and this has happened numerous times) I have mine. More often than not, the dryers auto shut down on me mid-way and I only take about 10-15 minutes to dry my hair.

RCI usually has fairly decent dryers, I cruised Princess and found theirs to be useless. I'm one of the few who actually likes the kind you have to hold the button down, but I style in sections. I have to continually lay the dryer down to use 2 hands to comb up the next section. I don't just blow air at my head

Last edited by Happy ks; June 8th, 2011 at 10:07 PM.

Old June 8th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

It depends on how picky you are. For me the blow dryer is horrible...it takes forever to dry hair and the "mystery" soap/shampoo/lotion is not something I would use. I bring my own stuff.

Previous Cruises:
Royal Caribbean - Southern Caribbean - Serenade of the Seas - Sept. 2011
Royal Caribbean - Eastern Caribbean - Freedom of the Seas - Sept. 2009
Disney Cruise Lines - Bahamas - Magic -
June 2003

Forced to Work, Born to Cruise!!

I work ONLY to Cruise!

Life is hard, Cruising is Easy!

Old June 8th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you happen to be in a Junior Suite (or higher, I presume), you do get upgraded toiletries. This is what we had in our Serenade JS in December:

I am not picky about my shampoo and conditioner, but I do bring my own when not in a JS. I also bring my own hairdryer and straightener, for aforementioned reasons!

Grandeur of the Seas - June 2005
Liberty of the Seas - December 2008 -
PHOTO ALBUM
Explorer of the Seas - June 2010 - VIDEO SLIDESHOW CRUISE COMPASSES
Serenade of the Seas - December 2010 - PHOTO REVIEW VIDEO SLIDESHOW CRUISE COMPASSES
Celebrity Solstice - December 2011 - PHOTO REVIEW INFO PACKET CELEBRITY TODAYS PHOTO ALBUM
Radiance of the Seas - June 2013 -
PHOTO ALBUM ALASKA CRUISE BLOG - SUMMER SOLSTICE IN THE LAST FRONTIER CRUISE COMPASSES
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam, Legendary Rhythm and Blues Cruise - January 2014 - PHOTO ALBUM

Old June 9th, 2011, 12:46 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtchr View Post
If you happen to be in a Junior Suite (or higher, I presume), you do get upgraded toiletries. This is what we had in our Serenade JS in December:

I am not picky about my shampoo and conditioner, but I do bring my own when not in a JS. I also bring my own hairdryer and straightener, for aforementioned reasons!

Interesting.........as of the last years plus cruises that we have had.......in full suites, Royal Caribbean supplies us with Gilchrist & Soames products........something that we also use at home.

What you see in the photo above........is something that should be available to anyone in any cabin, below a full suite.

However.........now that I think about it.......this product may be limited to the Junior suites. Not positive, and would love to have some feedback about what ammenities have been available to different tier levels. It might be that D and D+ get these goodies!

Rick
History:BB, SS Hastings X3 '53, '54, '55, BR, SS Brazil '52, Tropical '94, Elation '95; Together, Pacific Princess '96, Veendam '97, Universe Explorer '97, Melody B2B '98, Melody B2B '99, Crown Princess '99, R-2 Greece '00, R-4 Tahiti '01, Mercury B2B Alaska '01, R-3 Med '01, R-1 Med '01, NCL Wind '01, Legend Hawaii 4/03, Golden Princess NE 9/03, Legend Hawaii 3/04, La Tortue Canal Du Midi 5/04, Mercury MR 2/05, Ziederdam Carib 4/05, Legend OS Canary Islands 5/05, Monarch OS 8/05, W Carib 12/05, Mercury MR 2/06. B2B Monarch 3/06, B2B Jewel OS TA & Baltic 4/06, Monarch B2B 9/06,Jewel OS NE/Cda 9/06, Mercury Panama Canal 12/06, Vision OS MR 2/07, Monarch 5/07, Melody Rhine & Mosel 6/07, Explorer OS 10/07, Navigator OTS TA 11/07, Vision OS 1/08, Explorer OS 2/08, Monarch OTS 4/08, Jewel OS Ire/Scotl/Nwgn fjords 6/08, Monarch 9/08, Monarch B2B 10/08, Monarch Panama Canal 10/08. Mariner 1/09 B2B2B "Hornblower". 2/09 Mariner pre inaugural, Mariner 4/09 MR , 5/09 Mariner PacNW. 9/6 B2B Mariner OTS, Radiance B2B 10/4/09 MR, Radiance 11/09 B2B, Mariner 11/29 B2B, Radiance 1/22/10,Voyager 3/10, Radiance OTS 4/10, Radiance 5/10, Radiance 5/10 Alaska transition, Majesty 8/10 B2B2B, Mariner 9/10 B2B, Mariner OTS 9/10 Mariner 11/10, Allure OTS PI, 11/10, Radiance 12/10 Majesty OTS B2B 12/10, Mariner OTS ATH reunion 1/11, Golden Prn Hawaii 4//11, Explorer OTS B2B 10/11,Mariner OTS B2B2B 11&12/11. Prin Sapphire 2/12,Majesty 3/12, Navigator 3/12, Rhapsody Alaska 5/12, Jewel TA 8/12, Infinity-PC 10/12, Brilliance 12/12 B2B2B, Vision 4/13 TA, Fjords & Baltics B2B2B, 5/13 QM2 W. crsing, 9/13 Golden Prin Alaska, 10/13 Golden Prin B2B2B2B - Pacific Cstl, 12/13 Liberty B2B, 12/13 Legend S.Carib, 2/14 Sapphire Prn MR, 3/14 Sapphire Prn Sea of Cortez/Cstl B2B 4/14 Adventure OTS TA, 5/14 AmaPrima Amsterdam to Budapest.

PROUD CHARTER MEMBER OF THE NOOTS. NOOTS #9
CHARTER MEMBER "HOOT TA HOO'S"
Pinnacle Club Member
Celebrity Elite
Princess Elite

Old June 9th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Since most of our cruises are for a week and in the Caribbean, I have a hard time freaking out about how my hair reacts to the shampoo provided. If my hair isn't perfect, so what, I'm not going for a job interview. If you have thick, coarse hair then I would suggest bringing your own blow dryer as the one provided is a light weight version. Okay for my thin fine hair but it would take way too long to dry and style thick, coarse, long hair.

Old June 9th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyPemberley View Post
I will be sailing on Serenade of the Seas this summer. It will be my first Royal Caribbean cruise. What toiletries, if any, are provided in the cabins? I imagine it will be just like a hotel room which usually provides shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion. But I just want to make sure. Also do they restock these items throughout the cruise?

Oh and are there blow dryers in the cabin?

Thanks! Your answers will assist me with my packing.
Individual toiletries like you describe are generally only available in Junior Suites and higher. All other cabins have bar soap, and a liquid dispenser in the shower. Sometimes it's labeled "shampoo" and sometimes it's labeled "shampoo/conditioner." People say it can also serve as shower gel. Even if it is indeed a shampoo/conditioner combo, most women will find it really doesn't serve as conditioner, especially if you have long or color-treated hair. I'm not that picky about shampoo, but if I didn't bring my own conditioner (if not in a JS) I would never be able to get a comb through my hair after using just the mystery gel.

There are hair dryers in each cabin, but they are not as high powered as most people seem to be used to at home. They work, but it does take a little longer to get your hair dry.

Remembering 28 past cruises:
20 Royal Caribbean, 4 Celebrity, 2 Carnival, 1 Princess, 1 Oceania

Anticipating 3 future cruises:
Quantum of the Seas--3 night Sampler, 11/2014
Brilliance of the Seas--4 night Western, 3/2015
Celebrity Equinox--7 night Greece & Italy, 7/2015

Old June 9th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Decent toiletries

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbug123 View Post
Individual toiletries like you describe are generally only available in Junior Suites and higher. All other cabins have bar soap, and a liquid dispenser in the shower. Sometimes it's labeled "shampoo" and sometimes it's labeled "shampoo/conditioner." People say it can also serve as shower gel. Even if it is indeed a shampoo/conditioner combo, most women will find it really doesn't serve as conditioner, especially if you have long or color-treated hair. I'm not that picky about shampoo, but if I didn't bring my own conditioner (if not in a JS) I would never be able to get a comb through my hair after using just the mystery gel.

There are hair dryers in each cabin, but they are not as high powered as most people seem to be used to at home. They work, but it does take a little longer to get your hair dry.
I'm about to take my first RCI cruise. I have to say I'm surprised to find that
all cabins are not supplied with at least separate shampoo and conditioner -- versus the "mystery gel." Even cheap hotels do that. Lacks class. I hear they also do not supply robes for first time cruisers. Guess I should be glad I don't have to bring my own towels.

Dawn Princess 4-1-07 (SF-Mexican Riviera)
Dawn Princess 6-30-07 (SF-Alaska)
QM2 9-27-08 (East Coast/New York-Canada)
Grand Princess 11-30-09 (3 Continents/Transatlantic)
Emerald Princess 9-5-10 (Eastern Caribbean)
Emerald Princess 9-12-10 (Western Caribbean)
HAL Zuiderdam 9-25-10 (Coastal, Vancouver- San Francisco)
Navigator of the Seas 11-6-11 (Transatlantic)
Grand Princess 1-26-13 (49-day b2b2b-- Fort Lauderdale-Buenos Aires; Buenos Aires-Santiago;Santiago-San Francisco)
Royal Princess 10-29-13 Caribbean Inaugural
Allure of the Seas 11-2-13 Western Caribbean
QV 4-1-14 Panama Canal from SF to Fort Lauderdale

Old June 11th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlynn View Post
UGH! Really??? That may mean one less pair of shoes in my suitcase if I have to bring the darned hair dryer!
Lol! I sympathize with you.

I think I'll just use the ship's weak blowdryer so I won't have to sacrifice a pair of shoes. But I will bring my own toiletries, and forego the mystery gel. Thanks everyone for your help!

Old June 11th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was told that they supply the shampoo/conditioner because most women bring their own, we have had the Gilcrist Soames bottles a few times.
They also did away with the chocolates on pillow as 95% of them ended up in the trash can so they keep tabs on everything!

Old June 11th, 2011, 02:32 PM
50,000+ Club

Stick the "nose" of your blowdryer into a pair of hubby's shoes ....or yours, for that matter! That way, it only takes up a bit of space! The provided hair dryers are those "snub-nosed" hotel-style dryers.....they simply don't BLOW like they're supposed to!

Old June 11th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubrrick View Post
Interesting.........as of the last years plus cruises that we have had.......in full suites, Royal Caribbean supplies us with Gilchrist & Soames products........something that we also use at home.

What you see in the photo above........is something that should be available to anyone in any cabin, below a full suite.

However.........now that I think about it.......this product may be limited to the Junior suites. Not positive, and would love to have some feedback about what ammenities have been available to different tier levels. It might be that D and D+ get these goodies!

Rick
The last time I sailed in less than a JS we did not have any toiletries other than the bar soap & "mystery" jel in the shower dispenser...I was Diamond at the time & when I asked the cabin steward was told only JS or higher get the "good" stuff...guess he felt sorry for me cause later on he did bring me some lotion, shampoo & shower jel..

I am now D+ and will be in an outside in August..planning to just bring my own stuff from home...

Karen

Old June 11th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtchr View Post

I'm in a D1 ocean-view balcony on Oasis right now, and we have these toiletries!

Freedom of the Seas 8/15 -- fun with girlfriends!
Norwegian Sky, 8/14 -- Bahamas break!
Carnival Splendor, 9/12

Oasis of the Seas 6/11
Carnival Elation 7/09
Mariner of the Seas Mexican Riviera 7/09
Liberty of the Seas 7/07
Carnival 11/88

Old June 11th, 2011, 03:08 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyPemberley View Post
Lol! I sympathize with you.

I think I'll just use the ship's weak blowdryer so I won't have to sacrifice a pair of shoes. But I will bring my own toiletries, and forego the mystery gel. Thanks everyone for your help!
I have found the ship's hairdryer quite up to the task, and would never take my own. No worries there.

I use small bottles of shampoo and such that I carry with me. It's no big deal to take your own lotions and shampoos. If you use 'em up, just throw out the bottles.

Old June 11th, 2011, 03:09 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzlepop View Post
I'm in a D1 ocean-view balcony on Oasis right now, and we have these toiletries!
Oasis has been doing a lot of little things differently from the other ships. This, and EVERYONE still gets chocolates on the pillow at night!

Old June 11th, 2011, 03:10 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc320 View Post
The last time I sailed in less than a JS we did not have any toiletries other than the bar soap & "mystery" jel in the shower dispenser...I was Diamond at the time & when I asked the cabin steward was told only JS or higher get the "good" stuff...guess he felt sorry for me cause later on he did bring me some lotion, shampoo & shower jel..

I am now D+ and will be in an outside in August..planning to just bring my own stuff from home...
I have found that if the toiletries are not in our cabin (I may not use them but my son is not so picky ) when we arrive, after we ask, the steward brings them without hesitation and re-stocks whenever needed.