Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old April 17th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Mariner out of drydock? What changes?

Mariner was scheduled to resume service today, from Rome. Hopefully someone on board will be able to report on how she looks and what changes have been made during the drydock!

(Reading these reports would be a welcome change from the" two class system" !!)

Hambagahle has sailed on:

1952 Union Castle Line (Southampton/Port Elizabeth); 1963 Cunard Line (New York/Southampton); 1969, 1971 Italian Line (New York/Cannes & New York/Venice); 2002 Hurtigruten (Bergen/Kirkenes); 2005 Viking River Cruises - Danube; 2007 Deilmann River cruises - Elbe; and

REGENT --
Mariner - 2004 Alaska; 2005 Panama Canal; 2008 Lima to Buenos Aires; 2010 Mediterranean, 2012 Trans-Atlantic
Voyager - 2006 Baltic; 2006 Trans-Atlantic
Navigator - 2009 Trans-Atlantic; 2011 Eastern Caribbean

OCEANIA --
Riviera - 2013 Western Caribbean

Last edited by Hambagahle; April 17th, 2011 at 07:20 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 17th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool

In addition to clearnup and replacing worn fabrics, etc, I understand they are converting some tub cabins to large showers.

Old April 17th, 2011, 02:40 PM
10,000+ Club

The Boutique staff were expecting part of Stars Lounge to be converted into a Boutique since their location isn't good. However, when I asked an officer about it, he wasn't sure the budget would allow it.

Old April 17th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelcat2 View Post
The Boutique staff were expecting part of Stars Lounge to be converted into a Boutique since their location isn't good. However, when I asked an officer about it, he wasn't sure the budget would allow it.
We were told that it would be mainly soft goods replacements - carpeting, draperies etc. but in higher category suites (Master & Grand) only.

Old April 19th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

it is clear they were going to take out more baths and put those dreaded showers in...which makes Mariner very difficult for us! But I did wonder about the Stars conversion! It is really "lost space" for 90% of the time. Anyway we are still to hear from anyone on board...

And please excuse the typo in the heading! Not "draydock" but Drydock!!

1952 Union Castle Line (Southampton/Port Elizabeth); 1963 Cunard Line (New York/Southampton); 1969, 1971 Italian Line (New York/Cannes & New York/Venice); 2002 Hurtigruten (Bergen/Kirkenes); 2005 Viking River Cruises - Danube; 2007 Deilmann River cruises - Elbe; and

REGENT --
Mariner - 2004 Alaska; 2005 Panama Canal; 2008 Lima to Buenos Aires; 2010 Mediterranean, 2012 Trans-Atlantic

OCEANIA --

Old April 19th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambagahle View Post
it is clear they were going to take out more baths and put those dreaded showers in...which makes Mariner very difficult for us!
We agree with you about the showers: there's nothing like a long soak in a bathtub. That seems to be a minority view, which is why they're replacing tibs with showers. In any event, tubs are why we book specific suites on the Mariner, and don't risk getting a guarantee. We don't want to have a 17 day cruise without a tub.

We, too, would like to hear about the drydock changes.

Old April 19th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Wink I agree about tubs,,,AND

booked cabin WITH tub,,,for Dec.sailing,,that s one of the benefits of Regents cabins to me...would NOT sail with them if all tubs gone,,,did book Seabourn for May,,,and that was ONE of the reasons,tubs in all cabins....think they re making a mistake to get rid of them....good to have a CHOICE...

Old April 19th, 2011, 12:01 PM
10,000+ Club

I think that all of us would prefer a bath and a shower (like on the Voyager and Navigator). The Mariner bathtub can be quite difficult for some people to get in and out of. This could be one of the reasons there was always a waitlist for the shower cabins.

Old April 21st, 2011, 01:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Can't please all the people all of the time... now there is most likely a waiting list for suties with baths!

I know Americans like showers. My husband (American!) likes showers. But one can perfectly well take a shower (he does) in the existing bath tubs! I think, after 21 years of life in the US, that the problem is American "baths" are not really deep. I hated the one in our house as I could not soak in it. Our baths here in Europe are deep, and we soak. And some people take showers in them too!!

Clearly the separate bath and shower is a great solution. But there isn't room in Mariner's bathrooms for both. so - out go the baths and in come the showers... so we book more than a year in advance to make sure we get a bath. Next thing you know baths will cost more! Mais, c'est la vie!

Still no news from anyone on the Mariner now...

REGENT --

OCEANIA --

Old April 21st, 2011, 02:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

As long as you are young and/or nimble, the tubs are fine. If not, they are a hazard.

Old April 28th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Just off the Mariner April 17, 2011

Just returned from a wonderful cruise onboard the Mariner! Every piece of carpeting was replaced in all cabins, hallways, stairs, every sigle room had new carpet our cruise director stated upon arrrival that we are the first guest to step on this new carpeting, we were in Horizon View 8104, and it appeared that the sofa had recently been re-covered as well as the chair, the carpet was so new that it was still pilling, I also beleive that the "wallpaper" in our room had been changed to a white on white pattern, Hermes, and L'occident (sp) as well as Regent products were onboard. No new location for the boutique and frankly do not see why, lots of people shopping on sea days. The pool was delightfully heated to a nice tempeture, but is salt water. The following was enjoyed by most guest, La Vida show and the Cirque show, as well as Ray Soliare! Guest Vladik pionist, the worst and I do mean the worst show was the Beatle's in the Horizon show lounge everybody, exited with "what a joke" the UK guest were the most upset, no drums, etc.

'If you have any question's let me know, we did have our CC meeting with canapes in the Observation lounge attended by the Hotel Manager.

Please forgive me of any misspelling due to fatigue after flying from Istanbul, Munich, San Franciso and then a 1.5 hour ride home

Old April 28th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Also just off Mariner (and still in Istanbul)

I agree with Bigdgowon (and we had a great time meeting you guys!). The Mariner looks lovely. I was in heaven with the brand new shower--full tiled bench, rain shower head and adjustable wand (stationary or hand-held). Our side of the hallway (cabin 815) had some toilet flushing issues on two mornings, but maintenance rapidly took care of the problems. We are in Istanbul--home Sunday. I'll post a more complete review after jet lag :-). Lovely meeting Cc'rs at the Meet and Greet.

Old April 28th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Did anyone take pictures?

Old May 1st, 2011, 03:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default iPad

Can anyone confirm they installed iPads? Would be nice.

http://http://www.rssc.com/news/deta...3-0e0691b1d87a

Sailed:
2010 - MSC Magnifica (Eastern Med.)
2010 - Seven Seas Voyager (Western Car.)
2011 - Eurodam (Barcelona - London)
2011 - Seven Seas Mariner (Black Sea)
2012 - Seven Seas Voyager (Middle East)
2012 - Noordam (Western Med.)

Old May 1st, 2011, 02:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Upon request from your butler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanL View Post
Can anyone confirm they installed iPads? Would be nice.

http://http://www.rssc.com/news/deta...3-0e0691b1d87a
They ask if we wanted an iPad, and we declined because we had our own.

Old May 1st, 2011, 09:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

we are travelling next month in 8103 and my husband is curious to know if there is a table on the balcony suitable for in room dining? would appreciate hearing from you
regards amanda

Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

yes-definitely-the Horizon suites have a very large veranda with a great dining space

Old May 3rd, 2011, 07:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Back to the bathtub vs shower issue, it is understandable that some would prefer a nice soaking bath. Problem is, the "headroom" in the original bathtub/shower combination is only 6' 2" (yes, I personally measured it). So showers in these have been very uncomfortable for taller guests. Even though I am short (5' 9") I kept banging my hand on the ceiling when washing my hair. This problem is due to the fact that the bathroom floor is raised several inches above the rest of the suite. Then, the tub floor is raised about 6" above that. It would be nice if they could just lower the level of the tub floor. I guess, for some reason, this isn't possible -- hence the conversion to showers only.

Old May 4th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdogwon View Post
Just returned from a wonderful cruise onboard the Mariner! Every piece of carpeting was replaced in all cabins, hallways, stairs, every sigle room had new carpet our cruise director stated upon arrrival that we are the first guest to step on this new carpeting, we were in Horizon View 8104, and it appeared that the sofa had recently been re-covered as well as the chair, the carpet was so new that it was still pilling, I also beleive that the "wallpaper" in our room had been changed to a white on white pattern, Hermes, and L'occident (sp) as well as Regent products were onboard.
Thanks for the update. We will be staying in 8104 on our cruise in a couple of months. We were in that suite for our Alaska honeymoon a few years ago and opted for that one again.

I know the economy has been challenging for all the cruise lines and I don't have a high opinion of how private equity firms, in general, treat their acquisitions (has private equity *ever* made a good company better from the customer's standpoint?). Nice to hear they are taking good care of Mariner, though. I'll cut Apollo some slack in the meantime.