Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals

How to Set Up a Meet & Mingle on Your NCL Cruise

NEW! Find Your NORWEGIAN Roll Call

Old April 12th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Is the Epic freestly sundeck nude/toplesss?

hi all,

our group is booked on the nov. 12th e. caribe sailing. we are all very excited to go, espeically after reading don's excellent review. and we are all doing our own research, cruise critic, you tube etc.

my friend recently brought it to my attention that he thinks the freesytly sundeck is a nude one and that there is a strip show on the ship????

just wondering if anyone had any answers about either of these things or if my friend is crazy or just misunderstood something. He is determinded he's right, and determined to try it out(hey to each his own right)

thanks

Carnival Sensation 5/10/09 SAILED!

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 12th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmunson72906 View Post
hi all,

our group is booked on the nov. 12th e. caribe sailing. we are all very excited to go, espeically after reading don's excellent review. and we are all doing our own research, cruise critic, you tube etc.

my friend recently brought it to my attention that he thinks the freesytly sundeck is a nude one and that there is a strip show on the ship????

just wondering if anyone had any answers about either of these things or if my friend is crazy or just misunderstood something. He is determinded he's right, and determined to try it out(hey to each his own right)

thanks
Don't know where he heard about the strip show...no such thing.

As for the "freestyle" sun deck, I don't believe total nudity is allowed. Topless maybe, but not nude.

Of course, it's very possible that the rules, and the shows, are different on Epic's European cruise routes (as opposed to U.S./Caribbean routes) since attitudes about these things are much more relaxed in most of Europe.
NCL Dawn, 12/4/11 Southern Caribbean
NCL Spirit, 7/17/11 Western Caribbean
NCL Sun, 1/1/11 Eastern Caribbean
NCL Epic, 8/28/10 Western Caribbean
NCL Pearl, 7/25/10 Alaska & Glacier Bay
RCCL Freedom, 3/15/2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Glory, 11/8/2008 Eastern diverted to Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy, 1/13/07 Western Caribbean

Old April 12th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Exclamation

Both seem to have been taken totally out of context. The clothing optional deck is very small and isolated from what I can tell. Seems like you'd have to really be trying to go to that area in order to be exposed to it. Do you really think an American-based cruise line would have a huge clothing optional area that everyone would be forced to encounter? And the strip show thing I'm guessing was taken from Don's review. Sounds like it was a little risque and was not commonplace, but I highly doubt it was a strip show.

Use some common sense.

Last edited by K&M2009; April 12th, 2011 at 09:23 PM.

Old April 12th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink

I just booked today after reading the first post. No strip joint???? Oh poop....

Old April 12th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

The freestyle deck is located at the top of a flight of stairs and is a rather small area designed for freestyle sunbathing. We checked it out on the initial day while still in port. It was empty. My friend laid out up there later on a sea day and he said there were a few people up there, but none were topless or nude. But there aren't any signs that identify what you can (or can't wear). So venture up there at your own risk.

The "strip show" featured the "Shippendale Dancers", if I recall and consisted of 3 or 4 crew members doing some dancing and clothing removal down to their boxers/boxer briefs (quickly). Even the cruise director did his part. It was intended more as a comic burlesque more than a sex-oriented show.

None at this time. :-(

Past Cruises:

10. Apr 2013 - MSC - Poesia - Bermuda (Ft. Lauderdale)
9. Nov 2012 - NCL - Star - Western Caribbean (New Orleans)
8. Jul 2011 - Celebrity - Constellation - Norwegian Fjords (Amsterdam)
7. May 2011 - Royal Caribbean - Mariner of the Seas - Mediterranean (Rome)
6. Apr 2011 - Royal Caribbean - Mariner of the Seas - Mediterranean Holy Land (Rome)
5. Jan 2011 - NCL - Epic - Eastern Caribbean (Miami)
4. Jan 2010 - NCL - Spirit - Western Caribbean (New Orleans)
3. Jul 2009 - NCL - Gem - Western Mediterranean (Barcelona)
2. Jun 2008 - NCL - Jewel - Baltic (Dover)
1. Oct 2004 - Royal Caribbean - Brilliance of the Seas - Mediterranean (Barcelona)

Old April 12th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

ok thats what i originally thought. I can't wait to tell him he's wrong about it after arguing for 2 straight days. And no i didnt believe the strip show part pretty much at all, i just threw that question in there to triple check. as far as the sundeck question, it was just a question as i have never cruised ncl, and therefore have no idea what they do and dont allow, not like we booked our cruise based on that myth lol. just curious thanks for some helpful answers

Carnival Sensation 5/10/09 SAILED!

Old April 13th, 2011, 12:07 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
ok thats what i originally thought. I can't wait to tell him he's wrong about it after arguing for 2 straight days. And no i didnt believe the strip show part pretty much at all, i just threw that question in there to triple check. as far as the sundeck question, it was just a question as i have never cruised ncl, and therefore have no idea what they do and dont allow, not like we booked our cruise based on that myth lol. just curious thanks for some helpful answers
Hope you wagered some money on this.

Old April 13th, 2011, 06:03 AM
10,000+ Club

The Freestyle Sundeck is topless allowed, not full nudity. However, there have been reports that on some cruises it is treated as a fully clothing-optional sundeck. We've only ever had it be topless optional for women...good enough for me as I'm not into full nudity except in the presence of my DH, my doctor, or my sisters.

Strip show? Not a chance. There are a few shows for adults that have risque content, but nothing like a strip show. I can't vouch for what some people might do on deck if they've had too much to drink and are feeling "relaxed." That kind of thing is more likely to happen on short spring break cruises with many college-aged passengers onboard.

beachchick

Old April 13th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachchick View Post
The Freestyle Sundeck is topless allowed, not full nudity.
beachchick
How do you know that? I have never heard about this.

I have to admit that I went top less once on this deck (must be my French origins) but I thought total nudity was allowed. But unfortunately some people go there and stay fully clothed (not even in bathing suit) for sailaway or other reasons (I could see them standing at the railing). The only time I went there to sunbath, it was completely empty and decided to remove my top but then I had a bad experience.

The way I had positioned my chair, only someone in the chair just beside me could have ''peek'' and this is fair game I guess but I felt asleep and when I woke up there was a very weird guy sitting on the other chair, fully turned in my direction and that was literrally staring at my breasts (and it's not because I have much, I wear A-Bras and at the time I think it was AA!!!).

When he saw me open my eyes, he said something like ''you are so beautiful'' and ''can I touch''. I am not 100% sure but I think this guy might have had some type of brain problem by the way he was talking. Of course, I was already putting back my top and replied 'No" but still, IMHO, I don't think people should stare like that and make comments about one anatomy!!!

Don't ask me why, but I attract this type of weirdos and I am really just a normal girl, far from a top-modal and far from being what most people find sexy. OK, that time I was topless but once when I lived in New Brunswick, I was just walking on the street on a very hot day (fully dressed and nothing too sexy) and one man in joggings and without his shirt asked me something very low. I said ''What?'' and he said again ''Do you mind if I walk with you and masturbate... and doing some move towards down-there this time as he said it''. I replied ''YES and added... I mind'' (remember, his question was ''do you mind...''). Then I went to the police station nearby to report him since I think this is offensive and if he said that to a very young girl or to a woman who has had sexual assault in the past, it could really affect them.

NCL Pearl, November 5, 2013 with a Sweet Lady Roomate
NCL Gem, November 25, 2012 with my parents and Bridge Group
HAL Masdam, May 14, 2011 with a Sweet Lady Roomate
NCL Jewel, November 14, 2010 with my Bridge Group
NCL Gem, January 13, 2010, with a roomate
NCL Jewel, October 30, 2009, with DBF
Cunard QM2, B2B Crossing, AUG. 7, 2008, Solo
NCL Spirit, February 10, 2007, with my sister-in-law
NCL Spirit, September 24, 2006, solo
NCL Dawn, December 2003, with a friend

Last edited by jp2001; April 13th, 2011 at 07:30 AM.

Old April 14th, 2011, 05:31 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2001 View Post
How do you know that? I have never heard about this.

I have to admit that I went top less once on this deck (must be my French origins) but I thought total nudity was allowed. But unfortunately some people go there and stay fully clothed (not even in bathing suit) for sailaway or other reasons (I could see them standing at the railing). The only time I went there to sunbath, it was completely empty and decided to remove my top but then I had a bad experience.

The way I had positioned my chair, only someone in the chair just beside me could have ''peek'' and this is fair game I guess but I felt asleep and when I woke up there was a very weird guy sitting on the other chair, fully turned in my direction and that was literrally staring at my breasts (and it's not because I have much, I wear A-Bras and at the time I think it was AA!!!).

When he saw me open my eyes, he said something like ''you are so beautiful'' and ''can I touch''. I am not 100% sure but I think this guy might have had some type of brain problem by the way he was talking. Of course, I was already putting back my top and replied 'No" but still, IMHO, I don't think people should stare like that and make comments about one anatomy!!!

Don't ask me why, but I attract this type of weirdos and I am really just a normal girl, far from a top-modal and far from being what most people find sexy. OK, that time I was topless but once when I lived in New Brunswick, I was just walking on the street on a very hot day (fully dressed and nothing too sexy) and one man in joggings and without his shirt asked me something very low. I said ''What?'' and he said again ''Do you mind if I walk with you and masturbate... and doing some move towards down-there this time as he said it''. I replied ''YES and added... I mind'' (remember, his question was ''do you mind...''). Then I went to the police station nearby to report him since I think this is offensive and if he said that to a very young girl or to a woman who has had sexual assault in the past, it could really affect them.
I should have said "in the past" the Freestyle Sundecks have been topless, not full nudity, most of the time. I know that some itineraries it's always been full nudity optional, but I don't know specifically which ones. For all I know, these days all Freestyle Sundecks are full nudity optional. That would be fine by us; I'll still be topless only, but we've been to plenty of clothing optional beaches/resorts and enjoy them very much.

I'm so sorry to hear about your horrid experiences. Sadly, too many people, many of them from the US, think topless sunbathing = sex party or strip club. It's amazing how incredibly rude, clueless, and even creepy some people can be. Yuck! I'm glad you reported it.

I'm afraid I never sunbathe topless alone precisely because of that kind of immature and inappropriate behavior. You're right about how many passengers go to the Freestyle Sundeck and remain fully clothed. Now, I'm aware that they can and that it's optional and all, but it's also a very small deck and the only place (besides cabin/suite balconies) to sunbathe au naturale. Those who wish to remain clothed/swimsuited have numerous other options. It's not like a large beach with plenty of room for all.

Anyway, you're correct that I don't know the current Freestyle Sundeck standards. I only know what they were a couple of years on our last NCL cruise.

beachchick

p.s. (and I hope this doesn't sound, I don't know, forward or creepy): My hubby is a normal heterosexual male who enjoys seeing a variety of "scenery." He never leers or stares or anything other than a passing glance and a smile. I am certain he finds AA cups as nice to glance at as DDs. It's not the size, but rather the woman and her confidence that seems most attractive.

Last edited by beachchick; April 14th, 2011 at 05:37 AM.

Old April 14th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Full Monty

The "Full Monty" was being performed on a recent sailing of the Epic. While not impossible, it would be most unlikely to simply stumble upon the freestyle deck. Yes, an occasional sightseer visits, but folks seem to police the situation well enough. It really is not a big problem. You should be able to relax and enjoy.

Old April 15th, 2011, 12:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default sundeck

they have the freestyle deck on the jewel class ships and we have seen people both topless and bottoms off also. just depends the pass.

Old April 15th, 2011, 02:53 AM
5,000+ Club

Wow, you lot across the pond really are as reserved as the rumours. On my previous cruises on Brit ships the whole top sun deck was the topless one and a good 1 in every 3 women often did.

Of course the mainly young boys often made excuses to walk the deck

Will be interesting how Epic handles that if there are also large amounts of Europeans onboard.

Norwegian Spirit - Mar '14 9nt Canary/Morocco
Norwegian Getaway - Jan '14 sampler
Norwegian Epic - October '13 13nt westbound transatlantic
Norwegian Epic - Sep '13 7nt west med
Norwegian Breakaway - May 13 7nt Inaugural Transatlantic
Norwegian Epic - October '12 13nt Westbound Transatlantic
Norwegian Epic - Apr/May '12 7nt West Med
Norwegian Epic - May/Jun '11 7nt West Med
Independence of the Seas - Dec '10 11nt Canaries
Ocean Village 1 - Aug '10 7nt West Med
Ocean Village 2 - Apr '09 7nt Maiden East Med Pyramids
Ocean Village 1 - Jan '08 14nt Central Americas; April '07 17nt Trans Atlantic Barbados-Crete; May '06 14nt West Med; May '05 14nt West Med

Old April 15th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Clothing optional...

Here is a link that I found to the same Freestyle Deck sign that we saw when on the NCL Gem. The blue sign on the wall says that it is an ADULTS ONLY and CLOTHING OPTIONAL area.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2...2007036new.jpg

Old April 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
hi all,

thanks
No way! I wouldn't have missed that
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska 6/09
Norwegian Sky - Bahamas 9/08
Norwegian Pearl - W. Caribbean 10/07

Old April 15th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm not sure about on the Epic, but on the Dawn the very top deck was clothing optional. I was 9 at the time and was exploring alone, and wanted to get a good view so I just kept going up stairs as high as I could go. Well I walked up one set of stairs and was met by many topless women. it so shocking to me as I was only 9. I'm sure my opinion would be different now of course. One non-topless woman told me that this deck was adults only and ushered me back downstairs. i remember this so vivdly and chuckle everytime I see a post about topless decks.
As far as the Epic goes, the only place i think would be suitable for topless sunbathing is the very front sundeck on deck 18 or 19 that is apart of the suite complex. I was up there a vew times during the day and very very few people were up there during sea and port days. Other sundecks are around the pool and around the main pool with high traffic.
April 2010-Carnival Valor (Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, Cozumel)
April 2011-Norwegian Epic (Costa Maya, Roatan, Cozumel)
July 2013-Norwegian Epic GRADUATION CRUISE!!!!!

Old April 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
5,000+ Club

Here is the freestyle deck. Clothing is optional. It's at the top of a set of stairs and clearly labeled.

To the poster who found the freak staring at her, I'm sorry you had to deal with that. People like that should have been tossed off the 19th deck into the ocean.

Carnival Paradise 2011: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1468875

Epic Info:
From the Deck Chair trip Review - Epic: http://avidcruiser.com/ftdc/2012/03/...-report-day-0/
Malcolm Oliver's Cruise Blog - Epic: http://malcolmoliver.wordpress.com/n...iew-june-2010/
Epic "hull" cabin info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1522322
Epic uncovered balcony info: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1523109
Dragable deck plans: http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Ma...rwegian%20Epic

Other NCL Info:
NCL Dining Guide: http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/fil...ide-022814.pdf
Helpful NCL documents http://www.ncl.com/downloads/docs
NCL ship Virtual Tours http://www.facebook.com/Norwegiancru...85302731539795
Shop NCL: http://www.nclgiftshop.com/

HOW TO USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.p...arch#faq_basic

NCL Jewel - Alaska 2012; CCL Paradise - Mexico 2011; NCL Epic - Inaugural Western Caribbean 2010; RCI Vision of the Seas - Mexico 2008; Disney Magic - W Caribbean 2005; RCI Viking Serenade - Mexico 1996; RCI Sovereign of the Seas - E Caribbean 1994

Old August 20th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

As of February 2010 on the Jewel and Pearl, the sign that read Clothing Optional has been removed but the FreeStyle Sundeck sign is still there.
At one time Jewel Class ships had Clothing Optional Sun deck areas "Norwegian Jewel • Norwegian Jade • Norwegian Pearl • Norwegian Gem" this was the afore mentioned "Freestyle Sundeck". This was reported to me by NCL. At a later time this had been changed, at least when the ships are sailing out of U.S. ports. NCL people from the Epic reported also that this was not the case for its new Freestyle sundeck... They did say that European sailings might be different. I assume, too many people complained about the existence of a C.O. area on the ship. In addition, they may have had problems with inappropriate behavior. That said, they sell tan through suits and the Epic does stop in St. Martin, where there are several places where it is permitted to go Au Naturel... My favorite is Orient Beach on the French side...

All of my information is recent, as of 2010, and verified visually.

If there is a C.O. area on the Epic, I will post new information after my 2 week cruise in February 2012...
2012: Norwegian Epic - Eastern Caribbean
2010: Norwegian Jewel - Western Caribbean
2010: Norwegian Pearl - Eastern Caribbean
2009: Carnival Miracle (8th BN) - Bahamas and Western Caribbean
2009: Royal Clipper (7th BN) - Western Mediterranean
2009: Carnival Legend (6th BN) - Western Caribbean
2008: Star Flyer (5th BN) - French Polynesia
2008: Carnival Inspiration - Caribbean
2007: ms Maasdam (4th BN) - Southern Caribbean and Bahamas
2006: Carnival Legend - Caribbean
2006: Carnival Fascination - Bahamas
2006: Costa Mediterranea (3rd BN) - Caribbean
2005: Royal Clipper (2nd BN) - Eastern Mediterranean
2005: Carnival Legend (1st BN) - Caribbean
1998: Viking Serenade - Baja California
1992: Carnival Ecstasy - Caribbean

Last edited by nudistcruzer; August 20th, 2011 at 01:26 AM.

Old August 20th, 2011, 06:16 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudistcruzer View Post
As of February 2010 on the Jewel and Pearl, the sign that read Clothing Optional has been removed but the FreeStyle Sundeck sign is still there.
At one time Jewel Class ships had Clothing Optional Sun deck areas "Norwegian Jewel • Norwegian Jade • Norwegian Pearl • Norwegian Gem" this was the afore mentioned "Freestyle Sundeck". This was reported to me by NCL. At a later time this had been changed, at least when the ships are sailing out of U.S. ports. NCL people from the Epic reported also that this was not the case for its new Freestyle sundeck... They did say that European sailings might be different. I assume, too many people complained about the existence of a C.O. area on the ship. In addition, they may have had problems with inappropriate behavior. That said, they sell tan through suits and the Epic does stop in St. Martin, where there are several places where it is permitted to go Au Naturel... My favorite is Orient Beach on the French side...

All of my information is recent, as of 2010, and verified visually.

If there is a C.O. area on the Epic, I will post new information after my 2 week cruise in February 2012...
This is so sad if they've given into that kind of thinking. That the very existence of a small, not easily visible deck for C/O sunbathing would offend people so much that they'd complain. It's not as if they're required to go there! That would be like a non-drinker or someone who believes gambling is offensive saying that no one should be even allowed the chance to do those things. And we've seen inappropriate behavior all over ships, clothed or not, it's the same thing.

Bummer.

beachchick

Old August 20th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
hi all,

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeHeartCruising View Post
The "strip show" featured the "Shippendale Dancers", if I recall and consisted of 3 or 4 crew members doing some dancing and clothing removal down to their boxers/boxer briefs (quickly). Even the cruise director did his part. It was intended more as a comic burlesque more than a sex-oriented show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachchick View Post
Strip show? Not a chance. There are a few shows for adults that have risque content, but nothing like a strip show. I can't vouch for what some people might do on deck if they've had too much to drink and are feeling "relaxed." That kind of thing is more likely to happen on short spring break cruises with many college-aged passengers onboard.

beachchick
The "show" is called the All Access VIP Experience. This link (along with others) was posted on a recent thread. I will let you determine if this is considered a strip show.

"The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion" ~ Arnold H. Glascow ~

• RCCL Allure of the Seas (08/12) Tropical Storm Isaac
  • Carnival Freedom - Exotic S. Caribbean (Aruba, Curacao, etc.) (04/12)
  • Celebrity Millennium - Falmouth & Grand Cayman (11/11)
  • Carnival Dream - Eastern Caribbean (8/11)
  • Norwegian Jade - Eastern Mediterranean & 3 days post-cruise in Paris (11/10 - 12/10)
  • Carnival Freedom - Costa Rica & Panama (8/10)
  • Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera (4/10)
  • Norwegian Sky - Bahamas (12/09)
  • Diamond Princess - Alaska (Northbound) Glacier Bay (8/09)
  • Carnival Destiny - Southern Caribbean (8/08)
  • Norwegian Sun - Western Caribbean (3/08)
  • Norwegian Gem - "Savor The Night" Celebrity Cruise (12/07)
  • RCCL Legend of the Seas - Western Caribbean (4/07)
  • Caribbean Princess - Western Caribbean (8/06 )