Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > P&O Cruises ( UK )

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

P&O Cruises ( UK ) - Company Profile & Ship Reviews

Old February 21st, 2011, 01:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Portunus Club Changes

When we were on Artemis last August Carol Marlow gave a talk and the Portunus Club featured heavily. She said that changes were necessary (too many at the Gold lunches perhaps!) and getting the right balance was proving difficult, but she would be announcing a new structure for the Portunus Club early in the New Year (2011). Has anyone seen anything please?

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 21st, 2011, 01:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi
All I've noticed is that I've got two memberships numbers, 1 for my 2005 and another one for April (?)
P&O Oceana Canaries July 2005

Old February 21st, 2011, 03:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Rumour has it that it should be this month, February, when they will announce.
But don't hold your breath.

Old February 21st, 2011, 04:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

It's supposed to be on the 28th February.

Old February 21st, 2011, 05:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseanywhere2 View Post
It's supposed to be on the 28th February.
I heard it was 29th Feb!!!!!!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the observance of fools. (Douglas Bader 1910-1982)

Previous Cruises
March 92 - Carnival's Carnivale - Bahamas . October 97 - Thomson's Emerald, Med. Nov 2000 - Superstar Gemini, Straits of Malacca. Jan 2004 - Coral Princess - Panama-Carib. June 2005 - Island Princess - Alaska. Jan 2006 - P&O Arcadia - East/southern Carib. Feb 2007 - Celebrity Millenium - Eastern Carib. June 2007 - Tahitian Princess - Honolulu to Papeete. Feb 2008 - Sapphire Princess - Sydney to Auckland. Sept 2008 Emerald Princess - Mediterranean. March 2009 - Coral Princess - Panama Canal. Feb 2010 Celebrity Solstice - Eastern Caribbean . Aug 2011 P&O Azura- Canaries. June 2012 P&O Ventura Iceland & Fjords. Sept 2012 Celebrity Eclipse - Western Med; Apr 2013 P&O Azura Western Med. June 2013 Celebrity Eclipse - Baltic. Oct 2013 P&O Azura - Central Med.
Future cruises,
May - 2014 Emerald Princess Spain & France.
Sept. 2014 Celebrity Eclipse - Canaries & Azores.
Apr. - 2015 P&O Britannia - W. Med (Pre-reg)
June - 2015Celebrity Eclipse - Iceland & Fjords
Sept - 2015 Celebrity Eclipse - Canaries & Azores.
Jan - 2016 P&O Ventura - No Fly Caribbean. (pre-reg)

Followed by-

Old February 21st, 2011, 05:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrierjohn View Post
I heard it was 29th Feb!!!!!!
31st

Quite a few, and we started with our first, as does everyone.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

I never understand how there can be too many people on a GOLD lunch? when we would all be eating lunch on board anyway... just arrange smaller groups on different days if you want to limit the numbers attending.. simples.. no need to create a GOLD with knobs on tier...

Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwinds View Post
I never understand how there can be too many people on a GOLD lunch? when we would all be eating lunch on board anyway... just arrange smaller groups on different days if you want to limit the numbers attending.. simples.. no need to create a GOLD with knobs on tier...

Not simple for P&O - you haven't taken into account the free booze they drink! Also, it is usually the best three course meal served on the ship - all the stops are pulled out to impress the frequent travellers.

Old February 24th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
The numbers attending the Gold lunch apparently vary widely by ship. In August on Ventura (West Med) there were 60, in Dec on Oceana (Panama Canal) there were only 19. Our loyalty manager told me however, that on Oriana and particularly Aurora there had often been over 200. If P&O wish to limit the numbers attending the easiest way would be to invite to the lunch the (say) 100 passengers with the most Portunus points on that cruise.

Old February 24th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denarius View Post
The numbers attending the Gold lunch apparently vary widely by ship. In August on Ventura (West Med) there were 60, in Dec on Oceana (Panama Canal) there were only 19. Our loyalty manager told me however, that on Oriana and particularly Aurora there had often been over 200. If P&O wish to limit the numbers attending the easiest way would be to invite to the lunch the (say) 100 passengers with the most Portunus points on that cruise.
I think that would be a hard sell to the 101st and onward Portunus members, especially as, on Oriana and Aurora especially, that they had done many, many cruises.

I think this is an issue all the lines are facing as the number of multiple repeat customers gets very high. Inevitably, I think, the rewards will be scaled back.
Azura 2015 - W Mediterranean
-------------------------
Already enjoyed:
MSC Sinfonia (2005), Norwegian Jewel (2005), Galaxy (2006 & 2007), Braemar (2007), Oriana (2008 & 2012), Ventura (2008, 2010, 2011 & 2013), Celebrity Solstice (2009), Arcadia (2010 & 2012), Black Watch (2011)

My Blog: http://tomscruiseblog.co.uk

Old February 24th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Have a look at the p and o forum the changes are on there, look very complicated. It doesn't affect us as we are only on Ruby but i can see some of the gold members being very underwhelmed.

Old February 24th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

There are a couple of threads on the P&O website forum as some information is now available. According to the P&O admin, details will be sent out in the next few days. It looks to be a more complicated system with six tiers. The top two tiers require 80 or 200 nights in the last 3 years plus 2001 points. Guess we will see the full detail soon.

email: cruiser1955@hotmail.co.uk
Sailed on Swan Hellenic - Minerva II x7 (now P&O Adonia)
P&O - Arcadia x5, Artemis x3, Azura, Oriana, Ventura
Cunard - Queen Victoria x3, QM2 x3, QE World 2013
Discovery - south Pacific
Marco Polo - south America & Falklands
Danube - Johann Strauss
Nile - RA2, MISR Serenade, MISR Rhapsody, Prince Abbas
Santa Cruz (Galapagos)
Victoria Cruises (Yangtze)

Last edited by cruiser1955; February 24th, 2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: left a bit out

Old February 24th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Cruise Critic Host & UK Ambassador

If what has been posted on the P&O site is correct those of us in the lower level of Gold will be demoted and lose many of the benefits currently available - 8.5% discount instead of 10%, no special lunch, no priority check in, no embarkation lounge......... not impressed at all. I expected an extra tier above with perhaps extra priviliges but not to lose them!

Cruise Photos: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sharonp40 & http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharonsshiptravels/
Blog: http://sharonp-shipsinmylife.blogspot.com/

Ships sailed on:
Vistafjord, Caronia, QE2, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth Maiden Voyage, Aurora, Arcadia, Oriana, Oceana, Artemis, Ventura, Balmoral, Adonia, Discovery, Royal Princess (2013 ship), Nautica
Also Rhine and Dutch river cruises

Ships visited:
Independence of the Seas, Azura, Artania, Prinsendam, Maasdam, Crystal Symphony, Saga Sapphire, Saga Pearl II

To come:
Oriana - Northern Lights 2014
Adonia - Iberia and N Africa 2014
Queen Victoria 175 voyage May 2015

>

Old February 24th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Looks like the Gold Lunch has been dropped so that should please those who said too many people were attending !!

Old February 24th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Think I will be staying where I am, Sapphire, albeit with another name. No problem to me. Certainly wouldn't be bothered about the lunch.

Old February 24th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I've read the P&O forum thread. For me, the most interesting thing is that new P&O cruisers will need to have done 15 nights before they qualify for any benefits. So not only will that initial party cruise, or the Fjords cruise, not qualify them for benefits for their next cruise, but neither will a 14 night W Med cruise, if that's the first cruise they do. In fact the worst-off passengers would be those who did two 14-night cruises as their first cruises: as I read it, they won't get any benefits until they start their next cruise after that.

Hmm - that's quite hard. But I suppose they need to strike a balance between encouraging really loyal customers, and trying to encourage 2nd cruise passengers. And as I mentioned in an earlier post, the number of Portunus members must be costing them.
Azura 2015 - W Mediterranean
-------------------------
Already enjoyed:
MSC Sinfonia (2005), Norwegian Jewel (2005), Galaxy (2006 & 2007), Braemar (2007), Oriana (2008 & 2012), Ventura (2008, 2010, 2011 & 2013), Celebrity Solstice (2009), Arcadia (2010 & 2012), Black Watch (2011)

My Blog: http://tomscruiseblog.co.uk

Old February 24th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

According to the post on the P&O community site the new Peninsular Club, replacing Portunus, comes into being in April 2012. Is this correct, or a slip of the finger? If it is correct they are giving plenty of notice and doing the right thing by those who have already booked cruises from the current brochure, and were expecting certain perks.

Old February 24th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Looks like the Gold Lunch has been dropped so that should please those who said too many people were attending !!
According to the post on the P&O forum the new Caribbean tier (2001 points and over) get a "senior officer hosted dining experience on cruises 8+ nights". Sounds like the Gold lunch to me, but the bar for attening is being raised from 1501 to 2001 points.

Old February 24th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denarius View Post
According to the post on the P&O forum the new Caribbean tier (2001 points and over) get a "senior officer hosted dining experience on cruises 8+ nights". Sounds like the Gold lunch to me, but the bar for attening is being raised from 1501 to 2001 points.

1990 points here

????

Quite a few, and we started with our first, as does everyone.

Old February 25th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum Rat View Post

1990 points here

????
It doesnt come into effect until April 2012, so time to do another cruise (or two!)
Brian

Last edited by BrianI; February 25th, 2011 at 01:24 AM.