Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old February 13th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Spa etiquette in the thermal suites (a question)

Cuurious to hear opinions on these issues...

Has anyone else had their thermal suite experience intruded upon by people using the space to socialize? I've experienced many times where several people will use the thermal chairs, steam room, or sauna and talk (and talk and talk). Do they not see the 'quiet please' sign on the door?

So my first question is... Am I alone in thinking that the thermal suite is a place for meditation and deep relaxation where silence should be honored? And if you've had the same experience how have you approached spa talkers? There are soooo many other places on a ship to talk and socialize (bars, pool decks, lido, cafe) can't this be one place for silence? We go on cruises to disconnect from the grind and relax (deeply) so this space is important to us.

My second question is... Do people not understand that the thermal suite (for many) is meant to be done on a cycle? Thermal chairs, then sauna, then steam room, then shower, and repeat. You shouldn't 'save' a thermal chair while you are in the steam room or sauna because that's when another person needs to be using it. Then in 20 minutes or so you trade. This is especially important on busy days.

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions!
=X= Summit: 8/07

Last edited by BoiseIdahoSpud; February 13th, 2011 at 11:13 AM.

Old February 13th, 2011, 11:43 AM
30,000+ Club

Smile

I agree with both your points. Unfortunately, "common courtesy" isn't so common these days, as that is what you're saying comes down to.
I experienced the loud and boisterous once. Fortunately, it was over quickly, as the hyper people moved on to another part of the spa. Had it continued as a problem, I would have asked the person in charge to put a stop to it.

Again, the saving of loungers is just an extension of the "chair hog" mentality. It hasn't happened to me yet, but should it happen I have no problem with removing things that have been "left behind".

I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

Old February 13th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

I cared less about the chatter in the hydro pool than on the loungers where on my first afternoon visit there must've been half a dozen folks travelling together that talked though mercifully fairly quietly. An evening visit the same saw found a wealth of peace & quiet.

MHO is like a voluntary dress code there will always be those who think the posted gentle reminders and suggestions of others don't apply to them and short of having a glowering staff member standing nearby there's little that can be done without starting a confrontation yourself.
Zuiderdam 16/05/2009 Alaska
Stella Solaris 15/07/2001 Greece
Norwegian Star 10/11/1997 W. Caribbean

Old February 13th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthC View Post
I agree with both your points. Unfortunately, "common courtesy" isn't so common these days, as that is what you're saying comes down to.
I experienced the loud and boisterous once. Fortunately, it was over quickly, as the hyper people moved on to another part of the spa. Had it continued as a problem, I would have asked the person in charge to put a stop to it.

Again, the saving of loungers is just an extension of the "chair hog" mentality. It hasn't happened to me yet, but should it happen I have no problem with removing things that have been "left behind".
I could have written this myself! Ours is an increasingly loud environment. Aside from my home, there's almost nowhere I can go to "hear silence" (I LIKE solitude, which implies an absence of all things noisy). The thermal suite was a quiet, relaxing place on my last cruise (only time I've used it) and I was glad of that! Like you, Ruth, I would ask the person in charge to handle the situation if it were not. And again like you, I would remove things from a lounger not in use by a person in order to use it.

Old February 13th, 2011, 12:50 PM
20,000+ Club

Unfortunately the Green House Spa crew do not always help the situation. On one of my last HAL cruises I had purchased the pass for the full cruise (2 weeks Panama Canal Statendam) This particular cruise did not have a lot of people purchasing the Thermal Suite so the Steiner people were trying like crazy to sell the Thermal Suite packages. The first two days that I spend in the Thermal Suite they brought in at least 3 tours each day of people while I was there. Now here I am relaxing in quiet in my bathing suit now granted men and women can use the Thermal Suite but some how it does not seem so intrusive when others are also in swim wear but when people come in wearing street clothes and they are explaining everything loudly it become rather disruptive and embarressing.

I prefer to read in quiet in the Thermal Suite so I am often not one to be talking but I admit I do enjoy talking to fellow passengers in the Hydrotherapy pool area (it is already noisy from the jets of the hydropool). Only once did someone ask me not to talk and it actually did not bother me. So my opinion is if you find someone talking loudly or disruptive just nicely say that you would like to have it quiet.

HAL
NCL Latitudes Tier Level: Gold
1.RCI Monarch March 2002 W.Carib,2.HAL ZUIDM April 2003 East Carib,3.RCI Monarch December 2003 Mexico,4.HAL Oosterdam May 2004 Alaska,5.HAL Ryndam Nov 2004 Sea of Cortez,6.HAL MS Westerndam Mar 2005 W Carib,7. HAL Maasdam NE/Canada July 2005,8. HAL Oosterdam Oct 2005 Mex Riv,9.HAL Oosterdam Feb 2006 Mex Riv,10.HAL Ryndam May 2006 Alaska,11.HAL Veendam Sept 2006 Pacific Coastal,12.HAL Zaandam Nov 2006 10 day Mex. Riv,13.HAL Oosterdam 30th Anniversary March 2007 Mex.Riv,14.HAL Noordam Alaska June 2007,15.HAL Noordam Alaska Sept 2007, 16.HAL Oosterdam Dec 2007 Mex Riv, 17.HAL Oosterdam Feb 2008, 18. HAL Amsterdam Alaska June 2008 19. HAL Oosterdam Mexican Riviera October 2008 20. HAL Eurodam Eastern Caribbean Dec.2009 B2B with 21. HAL Eurodam Christmas Cruise Southern Caribbean Dec 2008 22. February 2009 HAL Oosterdam Yum Yum Man Worshippers II Mex Riv 23. April 2009 HAL Statendam Panama Canal East Cast Coast to West Coast. 24. HAL Westerdam Alaska June 2009 25. NCL Star Cruise To Nowhere Nov.2009 26. PCL Crown Princess W.Caribbean Jan. 2010 27. NCL Pearl Pacific Coastal April 2010 28. Celebrity Solstice Western Caribbean September 2010 29.RCI Mariner Mex Riv Nov 2010 30. HAL Nieuw Amsterdam Eastern Caribbean March 2011 31. HAL Westerdam Alaska May 2011 32.HAL Oosterdam Hawaii October 2011 33.HAL Westerdam So. Carib March 2012 34. HAL Zuiderdam Pac Coastal May 2012 35. HAL Zuiderdam Alaska May 2012 36. NCL Dawn W. Caribbean Nov. 2012 37. HAL Zuiderdam Pac Coastal May 2013 38. HAL Zuiderdam Alaska May 2013 39. HAL Veendam Mexico Dec 2013 40. NCL Jewel W Carib March 2014 [/size]

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 13th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sounds Like

OP has some control issues

Old February 13th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho39 View Post
OP has some control issues
Hmmm.........wanting adherance to a posted sign for quiet and relaxation = control issues?!?!?!?

On one occasion I encountered 2 gentlemen (and I am using that term loosely) speaking quite loudly and jovially in the Thermal Suite. I spoke up and very respectfully informed them that the Thermal Suite was intended to have a tranquil atmosphere and asked that they discontinue their loud conversation. One man replied they were not aware of this, apologized and we all enjoyed our peace and quiet.

Last edited by Kathyh1313; February 13th, 2011 at 05:04 PM.

Old February 13th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Quiet please...

The thermal spas are a great place to meditate. It is hard to do so when others are having conversations. I agree, there are so many other areas of the ship for socializing. I guess with people talking on cell phones in public for all to hear , manners, common courtesy, and a respect for others (quiet) space are becoming a thing of the past. As a result, I tend to go during less populated times.

Old February 13th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I see no reason not to talk in the hydropool, but I certainly wouldn't be boisterous or be chatting around other people. The thermal chair area, however, is different. I've only had one incident when two older women were sewing-circle chatting away and it was very disturbing to the normal tranquil atmosphere in there.

I don't agree with chair saving, either, and never have seen it happen in a thermal suite. Maybe I've simply been lucky. I also don't agree with the statement that you use the facilities in a cyclic manner. I hate saunas and steam rooms and only use the hydropool and thermal loungers. I prefer the pool first and then the loungers, personally. If the loungers were all occupied after getting out of the pool (never has happened yet), I simply would go back in the pool.

2014, Carnival Miracle, Mexican Riviera
2012, Oasis of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean
2012, Noordam, Southern Caribbean
2012, Carnival Legend, Western Caribbean
2011, Carnival Legend, Western Caribbean
2011, Carnival Legend, Western Caribbean
2011, Rotterdam, Peru to Fort Lauderdale
2011, Royal Princess, French Polynesia
2010-2011, Carnival Spirit, Mexican Riviera
2010, Noordam, Southern Caribbean
2009, Maasdam, Western Caribbean
1989, Stardancer, Mexican Riviera
1989, Regent Star, Panama Canal/Caribbean
1988, Noordam, Alaska
1972, Italy to Greece

Old February 13th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

And don't forget there is another option if the thermal loungers are all taken, those nice loungers around the edge of the hydrotherapy pool.

Love that area and am looking forward to enjoying it on the Nieuw Amsterdam soon!

Old February 13th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyh1313 View Post
Hmmm.........wanting adherance to a posted sign for quiet and relaxation = control issues?!?!?!?

On one occasion I encountered 2 gentlemen (and I am using that term loosely) speaking quite loudly and jovially in the Thermal Suite. I spoke up and very respectfully informed them that the Thermal Suite was intended to have a tranquil atmosphere and asked that they discontinue their loud conversation. One man replied they were not aware of this, apologized and we all enjoyed our peace and quiet.
No.. Instructing passengers how they're supposed to use the spa area "In A Cycle" is another control issue.

It's in the original post...it just takes a little reading

Old February 13th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho39 View Post
No.. Instructing passengers how they're supposed to use the spa area "In A Cycle" is another control issue.

It's in the original post...it just takes a little reading
As the OP, I was not clear in my original post. I've been in therapy for my control issues for many years now and I'm getting better but still have a long way to go...so please be patient with me, fellow cc'ers.

I use the spa in cycle... But my real point was people shouldn't 'save' thermal chairs if they go to different area of the spa. This is particularly important on busy days. Like Ruth, I just put their 'saving' items on the floor and use the chair. Had a lady get in my face about it once and I just said they can't be reserved while you're using a another amenity. There are only six thermal chairs and lots of folks have paid to use them. Simple courtesy. I think there is also a sign that states a 20 minute limit in the chairs which I try to respect unless the place is empty then it's free reign.

Old February 13th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Location: Ontario - Hamilton (when necessary) and Haliburton (when possible)

The worst thermal suite distraction I can remember was the snoring from one very relaxed gentleman on a thermal lounger. What's the etiquette here? You hate to spoil his fun, but..........

Old February 13th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree about the talking in the Thermal Suite...this is a quiet area. As far as snoring...good for that person (because I know I've done it before ). If you are able to relax enough in there that you've gone asleep, then I guess the room has done it's magic on you.

Regarding the hydropool, I often see people talking in there...including myself. In fact, I can't say that I've ever heard this area as quiet, however I can't say that I've heard it "loud" in there either.

I've been very fortunate that I've never run into chair hogs in the Thermal Suite, but if I did I would not have a problem removing items from an unused chair. If you aren't using it then you don't have a right to save it...I've paid just as much as you to use it and intend to.

Carnival Splendor - January 2014 Holland America Zuiderdam - October 2013 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas - October 2012 (Superstorm Sandy Sailing) Holland America Eurodam - February-March 2012 Celebrity Millennium - October 2011 Holland America Westerdam - April 2011 (10th Anniversary Cruise) Carnival Pride - September 2010 Ruby Princess - December 2009 Carnival Freedom - November 2009 (40th Birthday Cruise) Holland America Eurodam - February 2009 Caribbean Princess - May 2008 Holland America Westerdam - December 2007 Holland America Westerdam - Halloween Cruise 2006

Old February 14th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I agree that the thermal spa is a place to relax in a peaceful surroundings.
I make a point to often go in the late afternoon (after 4 p.m.) where often I'm the only person in the area and not have to worry.
The few times when others are in their when I arrive, I will smile and nod, and go about my own way. I often have a book or bring my ipod.
I agree with the hogging of the thermal chairs if there are quite a few people using the area.
But like someone else stated, these days alot of people are in the "me" mode and forget everyone else.

CRUISES
Carnival Fascination (3 day Bahama cruise) 2001
MV Columbia (7 day back to back Alaskan inside passage cruise) 2002
Oosterdam (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2004
Westerdam (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2005
Carnival Miracle (7 day Western Caribbean cruise) 2006
Maasdam (10 day Southern Caribbean cruise) 2007
Maasdam (14 day Southern Caribbean cruise) 2008
Carnival Fantasy (7 day Key West and Bahamas cruise) 2009
Carnival Triumph (5 day Western Caribbean cruise) April 2010
Maasdam (11 day Southern Caribbean cruise) December 2010
Carnival Dream (7 day Western Caribbean) September 2011
Peru! Lima to Machu Picchu April 2012!
Carnival Elation (5 day Western Caribbean cruise) June 2013

Old February 14th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshlong View Post
The worst thermal suite distraction I can remember was the snoring from one very relaxed gentleman on a thermal lounger. What's the etiquette here? You hate to spoil his fun, but..........
I have never fallen into deep sleep in the thermal chairs... But as a person with severe snoring problems, I can say PLEASE 100% wake me up and tell me i'm snoring. I would hate to later learn that I had diminished someone else's experience. Most problem snorers won't mind you letting them know their roaring is impinging on your solitude.

...there I go with my control issues again...will I ever learn?

Old February 14th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

In general most passenger's abide by proper etiquette in the thermal spa. Here's two things that have happened to me that I thought that would share.

1. I enter the thermal suite whirlpool, the lady there informs me that the rules say that I must shower before entering. I turn to her and say, you are totally right but I think it's too late now. She and I spa quietly for about 5 minutes and then we introduce ourselves. Nice conversation and low and behold we become good cruising friends!

2. On November 2010 cruise the thermal suite was sometimes quite busy. The left over towels would remain on the thermal lounger's, so I would pick them up and carry them to the dirty towel station and continue on. I felt that the spa crew should have been doing this, but hey, who was I to interupt their social time... One day I go in and all the lounger's are being used but I go ahead and get in the whirlpool. I see that one lounger in not being used by a person, only by a person who feels that it's okay to use it as her table. I got my towel's and went to that lounger and asked if the lounger was indeed in use by a person. Why no she explained. She was a book critic and she was writing a review and was using the lounger as a place to see the book as she wrote. I said, that's great~handed her her stuff and proceeded to get comfortable myself. About 2 minutes later she HUFFED and left. Too bad dear...

Old February 14th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

One day I go in and all the lounger's are being used but I go ahead and get in the whirlpool. I see that one lounger in not being used by a person, only by a person who feels that it's okay to use it as her table. I got my towel's and went to that lounger and asked if the lounger was indeed in use by a person. Why no she explained. She was a book critic and she was writing a review and was using the lounger as a place to see the book as she wrote. I said, that's great~handed her her stuff and proceeded to get comfortable myself. About 2 minutes later she HUFFED and left. Too bad dear...

Sounds like something I would do. I'm forever embarrassing my wife.
Ryndam 14 day 2/15
"X" Eclipse 14 day 2/16

Old February 14th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy2x View Post
One day I go in and all the lounger's are being used but I go ahead and get in the whirlpool. I see that one lounger in not being used by a person, only by a person who feels that it's okay to use it as her table. I got my towel's and went to that lounger and asked if the lounger was indeed in use by a person. Why no she explained. She was a book critic and she was writing a review and was using the lounger as a place to see the book as she wrote. I said, that's great~handed her her stuff and proceeded to get comfortable myself. About 2 minutes later she HUFFED and left. Too bad dear...

Sounds like something I would do. I'm forever embarrassing my wife.
That's why there is a library and computer room to use not to mention her own desk in the cabin.
2009 Royal Caribbean - South America & Cape Horn - 30 days
2010 and 2011 - Celebrity Solstice and HAL Westerdam - cancelled due to DH surgery
2012 - HAL Westerdam --- Hawaii and South Pacific - 30 days

Future Floats:

Azamara Quest --- April, 2014 --- Italy -- B2B (keeping fingers crossed !)

Old March 11th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshlong View Post

I apologize. I feel asleep once on Brilliance of the seas.