Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


 

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 19th, 2011, 10:51 PM
gfd_2's Avatar
gfd_2 gfd_2 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Harmony, NJ
Posts: 186
Default Verizon's "International Data Plan" is no more

There were some earlier posts about using Verizon's pro-rated "international data plan" for those who have a smart phone.

I called Verizon today to setup the plan for our Feb 12 - 19 Southern Caribbean cruise; however, the Verizon representative said the plan no longer exists as of January 17th, 2011.

So, smart phone users are now at the mercy of the RCL's data plan and the Int'l price for phone calls.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old January 19th, 2011, 11:22 PM
gfd_2's Avatar
gfd_2 gfd_2 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Harmony, NJ
Posts: 186
Default Update

I just got off the phone with Verizon and here's their recommendation for Verizon smart phone users. Shut off all data flow leaving just the cell phone and text messaging by:


Go to Settings
Tap Wireless and Network settings to Uncheck (remove the green tic mark) for Wi-Fi. Note, don't do this until you're on the ship. This will shut off everything except for Cell Phone calls and Text Messages.


Another note, the ship's cell tower has a range of 1 to 2 miles but some countries will require the ship shut off their cell tower once in port, forcing calls through the country's cell system.


Phone calls will be ~ 2.49 / minute on RCL and text msgs will be .55 to send and .05 to receive.

Last edited by gfd_2; January 19th, 2011 at 11:23 PM. Reason: OOO left margining info in body
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old January 19th, 2011, 11:28 PM
ECCruise ECCruise is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Hilton Head, SC/Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd_2 View Post
I just got off the phone with Verizon and here's their recommendation for Verizon smart phone users. Shut off all data flow leaving just the cell phone and text messaging by:


Go to Settings
Tap Wireless and Network settings to Uncheck (remove the green tic mark) for Wi-Fi. Note, don't do this until you're on the ship. This will shut off everything except for Cell Phone calls and Text Messages.


Another note, the ship's cell tower has a range of 1 to 2 miles but some countries will require the ship shut off their cell tower once in port, forcing calls through the country's cell system.


Phone calls will be ~ 2.49 / minute on RCL and text msgs will be .55 to send and .05 to receive.
Actually, never have seen the ship's cell tower active at ANY port, anywhere in the world. We generally are able to access the local cell towers long before docking.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old January 19th, 2011, 11:43 PM
ehfl ehfl is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECCruise View Post
Actually, never have seen the ship's cell tower active at ANY port, anywhere in the world. We generally are able to access the local cell towers long before docking.
Right! The cell towers on the ship should trip off automatically when the ship is within range of land-based cell towers.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old January 19th, 2011, 11:47 PM
mgg42 mgg42 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 758
Default

Or, you could view a cruise as one of the last opportunities in this world to "unplug". Turn off the cell phone and put it in your suitcase. Stand on your balcony and watch as they cast off the lines, and the ship eases away from the port.

It's one of the only times we have left that we can go "off grid". Sorry, I'm unavailable!

Can't really handle it? Fine (neither can I!). So, when you get the chance, pop into the internet cafe and check in. At less than $1 a minute, you'll spend less in ten minutes than you will in 90 seconds at the blackjack table in the casino.

Seriously.... close your eyes.... take a deep breath..... put down the cell phone and step away....
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old January 19th, 2011, 11:50 PM
PCWalton1's Avatar
PCWalton1 PCWalton1 is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,999
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd_2 View Post
There were some earlier posts about using Verizon's pro-rated "international data plan" for those who have a smart phone.

I called Verizon today to setup the plan for our Feb 12 - 19 Southern Caribbean cruise; however, the Verizon representative said the plan no longer exists as of January 17th, 2011.

So, smart phone users are now at the mercy of the RCL's data plan and the Int'l price for phone calls.
They still give an option to pair a Gobal data plan with your domestic data plan. It shows $30 a month for 25MB for Caribbean or Europe and I bet they would pro-rate the $30. They did with the old international plan.
http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Glo..._coverage.html

Bill
__________________
Bill

Photo Reviews of previous cruises: Live blog - Legend of the Seas (Panama Canal) - November 12, 2013
Live blog - Allure of the Seas 05/26/14 - Tackling the beast Live blog - Jewel of the Seas 03/01/13 - 1st Caribbean cruise
Live blog - Radiance of the Seas 09/14/12 - Cruise to Hawaii Splendour of the Seas 05/12/12 - Eastern Mediterranean - Turkey, Greek Isles
Mariner of the Seas 11/14/10 - Mexican Riviera Voyager of the Seas 05/02/10 - Western Mediterranean (sorry the pictures are missing)
Upcoming-Rhapsody of the Seas (Hawaii)-Sept. 5, 2014 / Oasis of the Seas (birthday cruise)-Jan. 17, 2015 / Jewel of the Seas (West Coast) - May 16, 2015
/ Jewel of the Seas (West Coast)-September 26, 2015 / Independence of the Seas (birthday cruise)-January 16, 2016 / Radiance of the Seas (Hawaii)-April 20, 2016
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:15 AM
south-carolinagirl south-carolinagirl is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 246
Default

Just keep in mind that 25 mb is not a lot of usage, you can use this data calculator as an estimate of your usage.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/splas...alculator.html
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old January 20th, 2011, 07:24 AM
CruiseDivaNJ's Avatar
CruiseDivaNJ CruiseDivaNJ is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 9,836
Default

Well, verizon's international data plan failed twice for us on 4 phones...(DH & I both have the Droid X. the kids both have BB's) Well, I take that back, DS's phone (I think b/c he has a card in his?) worked some of the time, but never on board (Explorer). NO service on board at all, until we got closer to lets say Barbados.....

We shut off our text messages but were more than happy to pay the associated & pro rated fee's for the global data...Nothing. No service at sea.

One of my pet peeves of verizon, or RCi....? I guess even with verizons plan we had to pay for RCi's service in order for our phones to work on board?? Arrgghhh...

GoodMorning
__________________


November 2014 Quantum OTS
December 2014 Quantum OTS
September 2015 Serenade OTS 12nt Canada/NE!
January 2016 Equinox

The Sails that Started it all.......
It started way back, when I was a kid.
My Grandparents often sailed on The Oceanic and to say the Bon Voyage Parties were memorable is an understatement!*


Chandris Amerikanis 1987 First time to Bermuda!•Celebrity Zenith July 2001•Voyager of the Seas June 2004•Voyager of the Seas April 2006
Explorer of the Seas July 2007•Explorer of the Seas December 2007•Explorer of the Seas June 2008•*Parents Vow Renewal-2008* CCL Miracle December 2008•Explorer of the Seas June 2010•Explorer Holiday Cruise December 2010• June 2011 OASIS• May 2012 Celebrity Summit to Bermuda•October 2012 CCL Destiny•Fell in Love with the Enchantment of the Seas January 2013•
May 2013 Summit • I ♥ ≈X≈ • December 2013 Sadly had to cancel Grandeur • January 2014 11 nts on Legend of the Seas •June 5, 2014 Explorer of the Seas, One last hurrah before she leaves our Home Port!


Live from Explorer July 2007- - Live from Explorer 12/2007 Holiday Cruise-
CCL from RCI Miracle 12/2008 - - Explorer June 24,2010 Review
♥Team Ks 14nt Holiday Sail 12/2010
- Team K on Oasis - 6/24/11 Review

Summit Review May 2012

I ♥ Blogging

Last edited by CruiseDivaNJ; January 20th, 2011 at 07:25 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old January 20th, 2011, 11:30 AM
slobeatz slobeatz is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 21
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd_2 View Post
I just got off the phone with Verizon and here's their recommendation for Verizon smart phone users. Shut off all data flow leaving just the cell phone and text messaging by:


Go to Settings
Tap Wireless and Network settings to Uncheck (remove the green tic mark) for Wi-Fi. Note, don't do this until you're on the ship. This will shut off everything except for Cell Phone calls and Text Messages.


Another note, the ship's cell tower has a range of 1 to 2 miles but some countries will require the ship shut off their cell tower once in port, forcing calls through the country's cell system.


Phone calls will be ~ 2.49 / minute on RCL and text msgs will be .55 to send and .05 to receive.

That can't be right. Unchecking wi-fi only shuts off wi-fi. Wi-fi is what RCI offers for laptop internet connectivity on their ships. You want to shut down your mobile network data.

Looking through my android settings, it appears that you should go to:

Settings -> Wireless & network settings -> Mobile networks, then remove the check mark from "Data enabled".

I just tested it using my weatherbug app, and the app gave a network error, saying "Failed to load data."

Texting and Phone calls still work.

Last edited by slobeatz; January 20th, 2011 at 11:31 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old January 20th, 2011, 10:51 PM
paulap70 paulap70 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bettendorf, IA
Posts: 257
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseDivaNJ View Post
Well, verizon's international data plan failed twice for us on 4 phones...(DH & I both have the Droid X. the kids both have BB's) Well, I take that back, DS's phone (I think b/c he has a card in his?) worked some of the time, but never on board (Explorer). NO service on board at all, until we got closer to lets say Barbados.....

We shut off our text messages but were more than happy to pay the associated & pro rated fee's for the global data...Nothing. No service at sea.

One of my pet peeves of verizon, or RCi....? I guess even with verizons plan we had to pay for RCi's service in order for our phones to work on board?? Arrgghhh...

GoodMorning
We just got new Droid 2 phones. The Verizon rep indicated that the Droid 2 was a global phone while the other Droid phones were not. That may be the reason your Droid X phones didn't work.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old January 23rd, 2011, 07:30 AM
south-carolinagirl south-carolinagirl is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 246
Default

Cruise ships are CDMA capable, which is why Verizon phones can work on them; however, if you are picking up towers from countries that are GSM only, your phone won't work unless it is a dual mode phone.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old January 28th, 2011, 06:18 PM
snowgreg's Avatar
snowgreg snowgreg is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W. Warwick, RI
Posts: 171
Default

A friend on a personal plan called and was unable to add the Global Email option, but then I called regarding my business line and was able to add this option. I had them activate it for me starting 2/25/11 as I will be on the 2/27/11 Explorer cruise so I'll post back with my findings. I guess for now the best thing to do is to call Verizon and see whether or not you can add it for your particular line.

Greg
__________________
Greg & Heather Snow
Explorer022711@cox.net
Explorer of the Seas, 12-Southern Caribbean (February, 2011), Mariner of the Seas, 7-Western Caribbean (December, 2006), Radiance of the Seas, 7-Eastern Caribbean (February, 2004)
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old February 1st, 2011, 02:14 PM
snowgreg's Avatar
snowgreg snowgreg is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W. Warwick, RI
Posts: 171
Default Verizon GlobalEmail $64.99 Plan STILL AVAILABLE For Business Lines

Ok, so I just spoke with someone at Verizon and he seemed to be very knowledgeable about this. As you probably already know, they have discontinued the $64.99 unlimited global data plan for "personal" customers, however most "business" customers are still able to add this plan. I am still able to add/remove this plan to my business phone line for the 2 weeks I will be on my cruise. In fact they have already placed the order for me and it will automatically be added for me on 2/25/11 as I set sail 2/27/11. I just need to call back to remove it and return to my normal $44.99 plan upon my return. If you are interested in using this plan and your phone is part of a business account then I would definitely call Verizon.

Greg
__________________
Greg & Heather Snow
Explorer022711@cox.net
Explorer of the Seas, 12-Southern Caribbean (February, 2011), Mariner of the Seas, 7-Western Caribbean (December, 2006), Radiance of the Seas, 7-Eastern Caribbean (February, 2004)
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:17 AM
DanScrim's Avatar
DanScrim DanScrim is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Villanova, PA
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgreg View Post
Ok, so I just spoke with someone at Verizon and he seemed to be very knowledgeable about this. As you probably already know, they have discontinued the $64.99 unlimited global data plan for "personal" customers, however most "business" customers are still able to add this plan. I am still able to add/remove this plan to my business phone line for the 2 weeks I will be on my cruise. In fact they have already placed the order for me and it will automatically be added for me on 2/25/11 as I set sail 2/27/11. I just need to call back to remove it and return to my normal $44.99 plan upon my return. If you are interested in using this plan and your phone is part of a business account then I would definitely call Verizon.

Greg
Will this unlimited global data plan allow you to use data on the ship (in addition to in port) without any additional charges (from Verizon or RCI)?
__________________
Past Cruises
Nov '98 - 4, Bahamas - Disney Magic :: first cruise!
Aug '02 - 5, W Caribbean - RCCL Monarch OTS
Dec '05 - 7, E Caribbean - RCCL Voyager OTS
May '08 - 9, E Caribbean - RCCL Explorer OTS
May '10 - 7, Bermuda - Norwegian Dawn
Feb '11 - 6, W Caribbean - RCCL Liberty OTS
Jan '12 - 7, E Caribbean - Grand Princess
Jul '13 - 7, W Mediterranean - Norwegian Epic
Mar '14 - 7, S Caribbean - RCCL Jewel OTS

Upcoming Cruises
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:08 AM
snowgreg's Avatar
snowgreg snowgreg is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W. Warwick, RI
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScrim View Post
Will this unlimited global data plan allow you to use data on the ship (in addition to in port) without any additional charges (from Verizon or RCI)?
Yes, if your phone is CDMA only it will work on the ship and in certain ports. If your phone is a global phone with a SIM card then it will work most anywhere without any surprise charges. If you are still eligible to add it, when you call you can give them your ship and your ports and they will verify whether or not you will have service.

I'm going on the Explorer 2/27/11 so I'll try to remember to post back with my findings.

Greg
__________________
Greg & Heather Snow
Explorer022711@cox.net
Explorer of the Seas, 12-Southern Caribbean (February, 2011), Mariner of the Seas, 7-Western Caribbean (December, 2006), Radiance of the Seas, 7-Eastern Caribbean (February, 2004)
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:10 AM
golf4tonys golf4tonys is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 46
Default

I have the droid incredible...... so if i uncheck the mobile network box i can:

NOT get any app or emails on or off the ship?

Make calls on the ship at ship rates and off at Verizon rates? (Coco cay, St Thomas and St Maarten)

Get txt messages on the ship at Verizon rates? (.55 and .05)

Boy I wish there was a simple way....hehe

Thx
Tony
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old March 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM
snowgreg's Avatar
snowgreg snowgreg is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W. Warwick, RI
Posts: 171
Default

I just returned from 12 nights on the Explorer and was able to use the cellular data coverage when the ship had their cellular service activated. I had to change to the Global Email plan for $64.99/mo. which replaced my PDA/Smartphone Unlimited plan which was $44.99/mo. The GlobalEmail plan replaced my existing data plan and I paid the prorated difference for the time that I had it activated.

The service was slow for surfing on my DroidX but worked very well for sending and receiving emails. I tried tethering the phone to my laptop using PdaNet which worked well enough for using instant messenging (AOL IM, Live Messenger, etc.) but was too slow to handle skype (audio or video).

Most personal Verizon accounts will not have GlobalEmail as an option anymore, but my understanding is that it still will be an available option for phones associated with business accounts.





Greg
__________________
Greg & Heather Snow
Explorer022711@cox.net
Explorer of the Seas, 12-Southern Caribbean (February, 2011), Mariner of the Seas, 7-Western Caribbean (December, 2006), Radiance of the Seas, 7-Eastern Caribbean (February, 2004)
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:01 AM
S&Jboat's Avatar
S&Jboat S&Jboat is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 94
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd_2 View Post
I just got off the phone with Verizon and here's their recommendation for Verizon smart phone users. Shut off all data flow leaving just the cell phone and text messaging by:


Go to Settings
Tap Wireless and Network settings to Uncheck (remove the green tic mark) for Wi-Fi. Note, don't do this until you're on the ship. This will shut off everything except for Cell Phone calls and Text Messages.


Another note, the ship's cell tower has a range of 1 to 2 miles but some countries will require the ship shut off their cell tower once in port, forcing calls through the country's cell system.


Phone calls will be ~ 2.49 / minute on RCL and text msgs will be .55 to send and .05 to receive.
I just have a basic verizon plan with unlimited texting. Are the .55 and .05 text charges applicable without me having to switch to any type of global plan? I just want to be able to text my kids at home once or twice a day.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old March 15th, 2011, 09:36 AM
snowgreg's Avatar
snowgreg snowgreg is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W. Warwick, RI
Posts: 171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Jboat View Post
I just have a basic verizon plan with unlimited texting. Are the .55 and .05 text charges applicable without me having to switch to any type of global plan? I just want to be able to text my kids at home once or twice a day.
You don't need any special plan to txt, just make sure you don't inadvertently use any data while roaming.

Send txt = 0.50
Receive txt = 0.05
Send pic = 0.50
Receive pic = 0.25

Greg
__________________
Greg & Heather Snow
Explorer022711@cox.net
Explorer of the Seas, 12-Southern Caribbean (February, 2011), Mariner of the Seas, 7-Western Caribbean (December, 2006), Radiance of the Seas, 7-Eastern Caribbean (February, 2004)
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:42 PM
S&Jboat's Avatar
S&Jboat S&Jboat is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgreg View Post
You don't need any special plan to txt, just make sure you don't inadvertently use any data while roaming.

Send txt = 0.50
Receive txt = 0.05
Send pic = 0.50
Receive pic = 0.25

Greg
Thanks, Greg
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:07 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.
Cookie ConsentCookie Policy