Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old January 17th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bottomline Can you cruise with your Birth Certificate ONLY?

Friends of ours do not have passports. They are an unmarried couple and she has a 7 year old Son. $450 is quite a price for them to pay, seeing how they do not travel often.

Will Birth Certificates get them on the ship and back into the States?

Another question.....The Son's Father is not in the picture. He is no where to be found. Will this cause any problem?

Old January 17th, 2011, 05:19 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasear[I
[/i]ider59;27541441]Friends of ours do not have passports. They are an unmarried couple and she has a 7 year old Son. $450 is quite a price for them to pay, seeing how they do not travel often.

Another question.....The Son's Father is not in the picture. He is no where to be found. Will this cause any problem?
BC's and photo ID (for the adults) are sufficient FOR THE CRUISE......BC is all the child needs......

If trying to get back into the US or missing the ship for some reason from a foreign port of call BY AIR, the passport is necessary.

Last edited by travelntreats; January 17th, 2011 at 05:20 PM.

Old January 17th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

I sailed in June with BC and DL only and just BC for my son's. I had a notorized letter from their mother giving permission to leave the country with them, but was never asked for it. It was a Key West/Cozumel trip. I have heard stories about denied boarding for parents traveling alone with a child and no letter from the other parent. May want to consult an attorney to see what is needed to show the father is missing in action.

On a side note, my next cruise I am getting passports for it. Since I have learned more since sailing, I don't like the idea of being out of the country without one.

Old January 17th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelntreats View Post
BC's and photo ID (for the adults) are sufficient FOR THE CRUISE......BC is all the child needs......

If trying to get back into the US or missing the ship for some reason from a foreign port of call BY AIR, the passport is necessary.
You also need one if your port is different at disemarkment.

Carnival Elation: W. Caribbean- 03/03-03/08/14
MSC Poesia: Shiprocked 2012- 11/27-12/01/12
Carnival Sensation: Bahamas-12/18-12/22/11
Carnival Legend: W. Caribbean- 02/07-02/14/10- Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...333&highlight=

Old January 17th, 2011, 05:28 PM
50,000+ Club

Birth Cert .. AND a valid photo ID, like a drivers license for the adults.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasearider59 View Post
Friends of ours do not have passports. They are an unmarried couple and she has a 7 year old Son. $450 is quite a price for them to pay, seeing how they do not travel often.

Birth Certificate and State issued picture ID is all that is needed. For the child, it depends. On Carnival's website there is a section that explains that to disembark in some ports....Cozumel....you need signed permission from the absent parent to cruise and disembark. We had 2 children with that situation when we left on Legend in December. One of us was asked for the letter in Tampa and one of us wasn't.

Old January 17th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasearider59 View Post

When I booked my cruise for this thursday, I was told that a birth certificate and photo ID was sufficient. As long as you are in a closed loop ship and you are leaving and returning to the same port you don't need a passport.

Old January 17th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

As long as you are sailing "closed loop" from a U.S. port you can get by with an original birth certificate (not a copy) and a govt issued ID. As far as her child she may need to ( or should ) have a letter from the dad giving permission for the child to travel unless she has documentation showing her as the sole legal guardian. She will generally be ok.... most people never get asked about it. Enjoy your cruise.

6/1/2013 NCL Pride Of America 7 night Hawaii inter island
12/16/2012 Carnival Victory 7 Night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan Puerto Rico http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1768746 My 2012 Victory Christmas review
3/26/2012 Carnival Ecstacy 5 Night Bahamas out of port Canaveral FL
5/29/2011 Carnival Valor 7 Night Western Caribbean out of Miami Fl http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1430764 My Valor Review

2/07/2010 Carnival Victory 7 Night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan Puerto Rico http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1150670 My 2010 Superbowl Victory review
1/16/2009 Celebrity Galaxy 11 Night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan Puerto Rico
6/01/2008 Carnival Paradise 4 Night Mexico out of Long Beach CA
11/14/1993 Celebrity Horizon 7 night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan Puerto Rico

Old January 17th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Not that I don't believe everyone else. I just know that on the last cruise we went on we were told we had to have a passport. I just checked the State Department website and found this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg passport.jpg (27.9 KB, 138 views)

Carnival Elation 6/19/2008 Baja Mexico
Carnival Imagination 6/20/2005 Grand Cayman/Ocho Rios

Old January 17th, 2011, 05:48 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowder_17 View Post
You also need one if your port is different at disemarkment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklahomaeande View Post
Not that I don't believe everyone else. I just know that on the last cruise we went on we were told we had to have a passport. I just checked the State Department website and found this.
"Closed Loop" cruises are excluded from the Passport requirement when departing and returning to the same US port.

Old January 17th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oklahomaeande View Post
"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

Perhaps the cruise you were on either 1) did not leave from a U.S. port, 2) did not return to the same U.S. port from which it left or 3) visited a foreign country that required a passport.

Last edited by tulsacubfan; January 17th, 2011 at 05:55 PM.

Old January 17th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Since the dad is out of the picture you need a notorized letter from the courts stating you can take him out of the country. I read somewhere that if you are going to Mexico they are more likely than not to ask for that letter.
-00 Carnival Jubilee
'02 Regal Empress
'02 Grand Princess
'03 Norweigan Star
'03 Golden Princess
'04 Norweigan Sea
'05 Princess Star Princess
'06 Carnival Pride
'07 Holland Oosterdam
'07 Carnival Valor
'08 Disney Wonder
'08 Carnival Liberty
'09 Carnival Valor
'10 Costa Pacifica
'13 MSC Divina
'13 carnival Valor

Old January 17th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I sailed four times with only a BC and a drivers license.

The child whose father is no where around can cause a problem. Call Carnival and there is a for that either they or the state dept. has that you fill out in such a case. I do not know all of the details, but I would get the form and follow the instructions.

Old January 17th, 2011, 06:36 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripFanatic View Post
Since the dad is out of the picture you need a notorized letter from the courts stating you can take him out of the country. I read somewhere that if you are going to Mexico they are more likely than not to ask for that letter.

CONSENT FOR MINOR CHILDREN TO TRAVEL

Date:_____________________
I (we):_____________________________________________ _________________
authorize my/our minor child(ren):_______________________________________ ____
to travel to:_________________________________ on:_________________________
aboard Airline/Flight Number:________________________________________
and/or Cruise Ship:_____________________________________________ with:
__________________________________________________ __________. Their expected
date of return is _______________________.
In addition, I (we) authorize:______________________________________ to consent
to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip.

Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)
Signed:_________________________________ (Parent)

Address:________________________________________

Telephone:______________________________________

Sworn to and signed before me, a Notary Public,

this _______ day of _______________, 20____

Old January 17th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

My daughter, now 12, and I cruise frequently without my husband, her father. She has been on at least 7 cruises w/o him to many ports (Mexico, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Bahamas, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico and the list goes on..) and we've never been asked for anything other than the normal document..BC.

Honestly, I never really thought about it since we are married..I know it's silly not to, I mean how's anyone supposed to know that just because I said so.

Anyway, I think it's a rarity.

rrraydon@hotmail

Old January 17th, 2011, 07:09 PM
10,000+ Club

Have your friend make sure that the BC is a gov't issued one, NOT the one from the hospital.

Old January 17th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hey Gang!

I require all of my hosses to have a passport. You never know what can happen on an excursion.

Old January 17th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was really worried about this on my last cruise too, since my children's father is also completely out of the picture and there was no way to get a signed consent from him. After a call to carnival I brought my divorce decree stating I had sole custody of them. We were never asked for it. It would be wise to bring that along just in case.

Old January 17th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelntreats View Post

Do you think you could never return to the US without a passport in an emergency? Like Charlie on the MTA?

Old January 17th, 2011, 07:44 PM
5,000+ Club

Like everyone else has stated here, the BC's will work if you are leaving and returning to the same US port. Make sure they are certified copies of the birth certificate, issued by whatever state they were born in.

Now, about the child. I would hate for you to get to the port just to find out that you don't have the necessary document for him/her. I strongly suggest you call carnival (at least twice!) to get the exact truth on what you need to have to board.
I would think that if the BC doesn't state a fathers name, you wouldn't be required to have a letter. Or a divorce decree stating the custody of the child.

of jandjfun

Victory 03
Ecstacy 03
Pride 04
Serenade of the Seas 05
Legend 06
Sensation 07
Mariner of the Seas 07
Spirit 08 proud member of the "BEST CRUISE EVER" club
Mariner of the Seas 09
Mariner of the Seas 09 back to back
Westerdam 09