Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Yazoo cruiser Yazoo cruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi
Posts: 969
Default Buying jewelry on the cruise ship?

We have occasionally bought some jewelry on the ship, nothing really expensive, with no problem. A friend of my daughter recently bought a ring, approximately $1,000, and it has started to tarnish. Anyone know what Carnival policy is about replacing jewelry? THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Mr_Cruise Mr_Cruise is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 563
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazoo cruiser View Post
We have occasionally bought some jewelry on the ship, nothing really expensive, with no problem. A friend of my daughter recently bought a ring, approximately $1,000, and it has started to tarnish. Anyone know what Carnival policy is about replacing jewelry? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

No, but my first thought is she may want to double check what it's made from. If it's silver, that's normal. No matter if she paid $10 or $10,000. Silver tarnishes.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:47 PM
firefly333's Avatar
firefly333 firefly333 is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 71,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Cruise View Post
No, but my first thought is she may want to double check what it's made from. If it's silver, that's normal. No matter if she paid $10 or $10,000. Silver tarnishes.
that was my first thought.

if its white gold then it should say so on the receipt. They have some silver jewelry, but even though its beautiful, I know I turn silver in no time.

We bought a cheap ring, didnt say silver, but it turned within 2 weeks in May. Dissapointing ...but Iv learned my lesson I swear. Only white gold
__________________
Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, RCL Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/12/14
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Yazoo cruiser Yazoo cruiser is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi
Posts: 969
Default

It was supposedly 14kt. gold, but I personally have not seen it.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:50 PM
pkrchkr's Avatar
pkrchkr pkrchkr is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,387
Default

I bought a watch that was electro plated with 10 K gold and It is fine.. I have a nickle allergy and am extremely sensative to " junk" jewelry grade nickle but this one is fine and it has been almost 6 months..I'd call Carnival and ask.. wouldn't hurt
__________________
RCCL Visions of the Seas 2001 Honeymoon cruise
Carnival smoke free Paradise 2002 1st CCL cruise
Carnival Spirit 2003 Southern Caribbean cruise
Carnival Spirit 2005 Mexican Riviera cruise
Carnival Pride 2008 3 Generations reunion
RCCL's Independence of the Seas 2010
Carnival Glory Family Reunion 2 2011
Carnival Breeze B2B 1st Cove Cruise Nov22/24 2012
Carnival Liberty Can-Am Connection Cruise Nov 2013
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:57 PM
caribbean dreams's Avatar
caribbean dreams caribbean dreams is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: California
Posts: 11,679
Default

When you buy the Jewelry on the ship they give you the receipt with a guarantee, cert of auth. & an appraisal, it will tell you how to return for a replacement piece, the customer service number is on the back of the Cert of Auth. they have a pretty good policy, if you are cruising within a year of purchase, you can also return it on any ship.
Is she can't find her paperwork she can call Carnival, they will give her the number to the correct person to talk to.
__________________
Life should have no other goal then to just find a pool bar and order a drink!
Unofficial Barstool safety & comfort control inspector

Inspiration X2
Imagination
Paradise
Conquest
Destiny
Valor X2
Elation X3
Liberty
Splendor
Spirit
Victory
Legend
Triumph
Glory
Magic

Last edited by caribbean dreams; August 12th, 2010 at 05:03 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:57 PM
firefly333's Avatar
firefly333 firefly333 is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 71,057
Default

I would take it back in that case. You can actually take it back to almost any ship (I mean any). ...I bought something on RCL they told me I could take back on Conquest. The same 3rd party company runs the shops on most all cruiselines.
__________________
Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, RCL Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/12/14
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:00 PM
CRU1Z1N's Avatar
CRU1Z1N CRU1Z1N is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 258
Default

From my neice who is and works for a well known jewelry chain....

If it's white gold they no longer put as much silver in with the metal. You may need to have it re rhodiumed ....ALL white gold jewelry bought within the last 5 years or so need to be re rhodiumed at least every 6 months or it will look tarnished and dull.
__________________




Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Ken076's Avatar
Ken076 Ken076 is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly333 View Post
that was my first thought.

if its white gold then it should say so on the receipt. They have some silver jewelry, but even though its beautiful, I know I turn silver in no time.

We bought a cheap ring, didnt say silver, but it turned within 2 weeks in May. Dissapointing ...but Iv learned my lesson I swear. Only white gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Cruise View Post
No, but my first thought is she may want to double check what it's made from. If it's silver, that's normal. No matter if she paid $10 or $10,000. Silver tarnishes.
Being Male and Oblivious, I never was aware of this - Thanks for the heads-Up!!! ken
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:33 PM
MsTabbyKats's Avatar
MsTabbyKats MsTabbyKats is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU1Z1N View Post
From my neice who is and works for a well known jewelry chain....

If it's white gold they no longer put as much silver in with the metal. You may need to have it re rhodiumed ....ALL white gold jewelry bought within the last 5 years or so need to be re rhodiumed at least every 6 months or it will look tarnished and dull.
And that's why I wouldn't buy from well known chains.......

As far as the piece of jewelry in question....$1000 is kind of high for a silver ring. It's probably supposed to be 14K white gold...and it shouldn't be tarnishing. She should send it back and see what they say. (My bet is that they will say it isn't their merchandise.)
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:39 PM
firefly333's Avatar
firefly333 firefly333 is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 71,057
Default

Hopefully she still has her receipt. I would take it with me on my next cruise and talk to them.

I got the jewelry people to change some clasps for me too, so they can do a few things onboard. They should at least exchange it for something of the same value.
__________________
Celebrity Summit, 11/30/13, Celebrity Summit, 12/7/13, Celebrity Constellation, 2/7/14, NCL Epic 3/2/14, RCL Allure 5/4/14, Allure 11/2/14, Quantum 12/12/14
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:47 PM
blindrid blindrid is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Castle Rock CO
Posts: 4,422
Default

From a well known jewelry website:


White Gold
White gold is created by an alloy of nickel and other metals (copper and zinc) mixed with gold. Nickel is the largest component of this alloy, giving the gold a white color.
White gold can also be made with an alloy that contains a higher concentration of silver, making it a good choice for people with a sensitivity to nickel.

I'm guessing this is the real answer, not gold or not.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:04 PM
bills blasters's Avatar
bills blasters bills blasters is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,733
Default

I had to send back a ring that I purchased on the ship. I called the number that was on the warranty. They told me to send the ring back with a copy of the warranty and receipt. I insured it for the price of the ring, and sent it back. I assumed that they would send me the same ring back, after it was fixed. They contacted me and said it could not be fixed, and they did not have any replacement. I got my full purchase price back. It all took place within 2 weeks. No problems at all.
Just make sure you have the receipt and warranty information.
Also, the warranty was only for 1 year from purchase, so if you are not going on another cruise before then, make sure to get it sent to them in time.
Claudia
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:21 PM
CRU1Z1N's Avatar
CRU1Z1N CRU1Z1N is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTabbyKats View Post
And that's why I wouldn't buy from well known chains.......

As far as the piece of jewelry in question....$1000 is kind of high for a silver ring. It's probably supposed to be 14K white gold...and it shouldn't be tarnishing. She should send it back and see what they say. (My bet is that they will say it isn't their merchandise.)
Hmmmm yeah it will still look tarnished..price has nothing to do with it. My $10,000 14 karat white gold 2 carat diamond ring still needs re-rhodiumed every 6 months. (This one was bought at a reputable WELL known seller of jewelry and fine collectables.)
__________________




Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:40 PM
wesheltonj wesheltonj is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 55
Default

Personally I did not see anything worth buying on my ship.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old August 13th, 2010, 06:47 AM
MsTabbyKats's Avatar
MsTabbyKats MsTabbyKats is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRU1Z1N View Post
Hmmmm yeah it will still look tarnished..price has nothing to do with it. My $10,000 14 karat white gold 2 carat diamond ring still needs re-rhodiumed every 6 months. (This one was bought at a reputable WELL known seller of jewelry and fine collectables.)
Tarnishing may have something to do with body chemistry....and how the skin's moisture and the metal interact

I put all my rings in jewelry cleaner after I wear them.....for a few hours

I have white gold rings of all ages....(I'm a jewelry lover...design my own pieces)

I buy (or have my designs set) most things from the diamond district in NYC....independent diamond merchants/jewelers (nothing from well known sellers or stores)

I've never had anything tarnish or need to be re-rhodiumed....and everything looks as good as the day I brought them home
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM
sjn911's Avatar
sjn911 sjn911 is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montana/Oregon
Posts: 5,502
Default

Being from MT and the west..my most coveted item is a Hopi silver chain piece from pre 70's when a lot of stuff got melted down..very simple hand done links that can be a necklace or belt..I use a silver cloth for jewelry on all my silver..there is a polish and a buff cloth..they are amazing...make things a natural shiny..and keeps the black part in a design black.

This rhodinized thing is rather new..I have heard of it more recently for traditional jewelry. Quality and truth in what one is getting is hard to get to in jewelry..there is like a 1000% mark-up I think in this buisiness..

I did buy a silver necklace with a light aquablue topaz and tiny diamond on top of it on a cruise for $79.00 in 1992. I buy very little nice/nice jewelry..but once in a rare while a special deal. I think on a cruise ship you have to think of the jewelry a little like the art..what you can afford/enjoy within reason but do not expect a fabulous high end deal or a real high high quality...that being said..all my silver necklace..traditional dressy..has ever needed is that silver cloth. Happy shopping!!

Last edited by sjn911; August 13th, 2010 at 08:24 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:32 AM
SummerXU's Avatar
SummerXU SummerXU is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindrid View Post
From a well known jewelry website:


White Gold
White gold is created by an alloy of nickel and other metals (copper and zinc) mixed with gold. Nickel is the largest component of this alloy, giving the gold a white color.
White gold can also be made with an alloy that contains a higher concentration of silver, making it a good choice for people with a sensitivity to nickel.

I'm guessing this is the real answer, not gold or not.
This is exactly it. White gold is essentially yellow gold that is dipped into a silvery coating. All of my friends who have white gold wedding sets get them "re-dipped" every 6 months-1 year. You can tell when it needs done because the yellow gold starts to show through and it begins to look "tarnished."

This is one of the issues and something you should expect with white gold.
__________________
Carnival Breeze - 9/21/14
Carnival Miracle - Alaska - 5/6/14
NCL Epic - Western Mediterranean - 5/13/12
Carnival Imagination - 9/12/11
Carnival Destiny - 9/5/11
Carnival Legend - 9/5/10
Carnival Liberty - 10/03/09
Carnival Elation - 4/19/08
First Cruise - Holiday 9/15/07
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:35 AM
MsTabbyKats's Avatar
MsTabbyKats MsTabbyKats is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjn911 View Post
Being from MT and the west..my most coveted item is a Hopi silver chain piece from pre 70's when a lot of stuff got melted down..very simple hand done links that can be a necklace or belt..I use a silver cloth for jewelry on all my silver..there is a polish and a buff cloth..they are amazing...make things a natural shiny..and keeps the black part in a design black.

This rhodinized thing is rather new..I have heard of it more recently for traditional jewelry. Quality and truth in what one is getting is hard to get to in jewelry..there is like a 1000% mark-up I think in this buisiness..

I did buy a silver necklace with a light aquablue topaz and tiny diamond on top of it on a cruise for $79.00 in 1992. I buy very little nice/nice jewelry..but once in a rare while a special deal. I think on a cruise ship you have to think of the jewelry a little like the art..what you can afford/enjoy within reason but do not expect a fabulous high end deal or a real high high quality...that being said..all my silver necklace..traditional dressy..has ever needed is that silver cloth. Happy shopping!!
I think this may be something that "well known chains" do....to insure that customers will pay to "maintain & service".

Next time I visit the "diamond district" I'm going to ask....

Just a note....whenever I go...the sellers offer to steam clean whatever I'm wearing...and no one has ever told me my ring needs to be rerhodinized.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:51 AM
MsTabbyKats's Avatar
MsTabbyKats MsTabbyKats is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,620
Default

I just compared 12 white gold rings that I own...14K & 18K....some may be 10 years old...and the newest is less than a month.

The color on all is the same...I don't see any tarnishing or any yellow gold.

Maybe I take better care...I don't do physical work with them on....I never get soap or any detergents on them....I let them soak in jewelry cleaner after each wearing...I take them off when at home....I treat them with love.

Maybe because I buy direct from the diamond district and get a better quality...no malls...no dept. stores...no middlemen

I don't know...why....but my jewelry requires no professional maintenance.

Next time I go "jewelry shopping" I'm going to ask what my secret is.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:35 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.
Cookie ConsentCookie Policy