Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Barbados

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old June 28th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Snorkel/Sea Turtles/St. Thomas or Barbados?

My kids really want to see sea turtles. We're doing the Victory seven port cruise in December. I'm trying to pick one snorkeling excursion between either St. Thomas or Barbados. If we don't snorkel in St. Thomas, we'll do a beach day. So are the sea turtles more plentiful on St. Thomas or Barbados and are the beaches more beautiful in St. Thomas than Barbados? Thanks!

Here's my itinerary so far:
San Juan, PR - Touring on our own
St. Thomas - Beaching or snorkeling
Dominica - Hiking or River Tubing
Barbados - Snorkeling or ?
St. Lucia - Touring and snorkeling (already booked)
St. Kitts - Ziplining
St. Maarten - Beaching

Old June 30th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bueller......Bueller

Bueller......Bueller....Anybody out there who can answer this question?

Old July 7th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Just my thoughts

We did Victory (and we LOVED it!) in March of this year. We went to Sapphire Beach on St Thomas. It is a nice beach & family friendly. DH & I didn't bring our snorkel gear-biggest regret of the trip. Snorkeling was great according to the couple we sat next to. They saw turtles, sting rays & LOTS of fish.

Did Silvermoon in Barbados. Great day-wonderful food & drinks. Turtles were VERY crowded. I got kicked in the head more than once, and it wasn't at all what I had invisioned. It was what I looked forward to the most before we left, and ironically, the snorkel over the shipwreck was more enjoyable.

What I am trying to say, is the best plan gives no guarantee, but I know you will have a fantastic day no matter what you choose! Don't listen to some of the reviews about rudeness of passengers, etc on the ship. We NEVER had any issues while on the ship.

BTW we loved it so much, we are returning to this cruise with our kids in March of 2011!

Old July 7th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

I can't tell you from experience in Barbados as we are headed there this year for the first time. I am sure their beaches are beautiful. But, the most beautiful beach for me is at St. Thomas. Megan's Bay is absolutely beautiful. Ask your taxi driver to take you there and after that go to the top of the mountain for a banana daiquiri and a view that you will never forget!

Last edited by cruisebabe50; July 7th, 2010 at 08:59 AM.

Old July 11th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

I thought the top of the mountain burned down? When I was in St Thomas last October they had moved to banana daiquiri to the botanical gardens (still a beautiful view)!
Carnival Fantasy 04/03 - Bahamas, Sapphire Princess 08/05 - Alaska, Caribbean Princess 09/06 - W Caribbean , Golden Princess 09/29/07 - Mexican Riviera, Monarch of the Seas 04/18/08 - Ensenada, Dawn Princess 05/04/08 - Ensenada, Crown Princess 10/26/08 - Eastern Caribbean, Carnival Elation 4/2/09 - Ensenada, Caribbean Princess 10/24/09 - Bermuda/Eastern Caribbean, Golden Princess 8/28/10- Alaska, Sapphire Princess 12/18/10 - Baja, Sapphire Princess 5/14/11 - Vancouver to Seattle
Future Cruises
Golden Princess 9/24/11 - Seattle to Vancouver, Caribbean Princess 11/27/11 Southern Caribbean Classic, Golden Princess 5/20/12 - San Francisco to Vancouver

Old July 12th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Snorkeling with turtles in Barbados

Quote:
Originally Posted by igo2travel View Post
My kids really want to see sea turtles. We're doing the Victory seven port cruise in December. I'm trying to pick one snorkeling excursion between either St. Thomas or Barbados. If we don't snorkel in St. Thomas, we'll do a beach day. So are the sea turtles more plentiful on St. Thomas or Barbados and are the beaches more beautiful in St. Thomas than Barbados? Thanks!

Here's my itinerary so far:
San Juan, PR - Touring on our own
St. Thomas - Beaching or snorkeling
Dominica - Hiking or River Tubing
Barbados - Snorkeling or ?
St. Lucia - Touring and snorkeling (already booked)
St. Kitts - Ziplining
St. Maarten - Beaching

We did it last year at Christmas. First, you are not allowed to wear fins (keeps you from chasing the animals and scaring them away), so kids need to be strong swimmers. You are in about 20 ft water, plain uninteresting sand bottom. guides bait the turtles in to feed. We saw one group of only 3, don't expect a lot of them.

Dawn Alaska 7/03-7d
Grand Baltic 7/04-10d
Grand W Carib Galv 1/05-7d
Caribbean E Carib 6/05, 7d
Sapphire Mex Riviera 1/06-7d
Crown E Carib NYC 8/06-10d
Grand W Carib 1/07-7d)
Emerald Med Venice 5/07-12d)
Caribbean E Carib 12/07-7d)
Coral Panama Canal 12/08-14d
Golden Alaska Inside Pass 5/09-7d
Grand Carib Collection 12/09-14d