Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Mexican Riviera
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Mexican Riviera Includes: Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Loreto, Manzanillo, Mazatlan, Pichilingue/La Paz, Puerto Vallarta, Topolobampo & Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa, Mexico


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 9th, 2010, 12:42 AM
r&rfraz r&rfraz is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: california
Posts: 138
Default port time/ship time answer

just returned from a 7 day mex riv cruise on carnival splendor. one of the most difficult questions to get cleared up before i went was the time difference between ship time and port time. so one of my goals was the clear it up for anyone esle who is wander about it also. so here is what happened with the time on the splendor. on our first full day at sea we set out watches ahead one hour. this meant that when we arrived in our first port (puerta vallerta) the ship time would be one hour behind local pv time. so we arrived in pv at 8am ship time, 9am local pv time. for the other two ports (mazatlan & cabo) ship time and local time were the same. after the final port (cabo) we moved our watches back an hour to put us back on pacific time.

the other thing i had a hard time getting an answer about (even from carnival) was wether the port times posted on the itinarary were ship time or local time. The answer is all times listed were local time. for example:

when the splendor lists port time in pv as 9:00am to 10:00. this is local time. as i said before the other 2 ports are not an issue because ship time & port time are the same. i hope this helps clear up any confusion anyone may be having. trying to get it straight before i sailed drove me crazy!
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Adri204 Adri204 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Meodowlakes Alaska
Posts: 943
Default

Im doing the reverse Itenary IE Cabo first, then Mazatlan then PV. So the ship time for Cabo is arrive 9:30am and depart at 6:00pm and that is also local time.

Mazatlan is arrive 8:00am and depart 5:30pm local time and ships time.

PV is shiptime is 8:00am arrive and local time is 9:00am. Departure time is 7:00pm ships time which is 8:00pm local time.

Do I have this correctly? PV is the one im most concerned about as thier is a time change but for what i have planned I think it works out great.

Thanks for sorting this out and let me know if I got this right?

Adri
__________________
"Future Cruise Mariner of the Seas October 31st 2010 Boo and Mystery Cruise Cabin#9291"

"Just remember when Driving in Alaska, take plenty of water, keep the gas tank full, pack some food, first aide kit, emergency number is 911 and watch out for Animals, Construction and other People"


"Its not the Destination that matters its the Journey"

"Thier are no people with horse problems But thier are horses with people problems"
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:49 AM
r&rfraz r&rfraz is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: california
Posts: 138
Default

you got it! sorry i did not answer. just back from cruise and it has been back to the crazy reality of work life! carnival....take me away!!!!!
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old June 30th, 2010, 01:30 PM
MSN-Travelers's Avatar
MSN-Travelers MSN-Travelers is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,489
Exclamation Maybe ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri204 View Post
Im doing the reverse Itenary IE Cabo first, then Mazatlan then PV. So the ship time for Cabo is arrive 9:30am and depart at 6:00pm and that is also local time.

Mazatlan is arrive 8:00am and depart 5:30pm local time and ships time.

PV is shiptime is 8:00am arrive and local time is 9:00am. Departure time is 7:00pm ships time which is 8:00pm local time.

Do I have this correctly? PV is the one im most concerned about as thier is a time change but for what i have planned I think it works out great.

Thanks for sorting this out and let me know if I got this right?

Adri
Normally, I would have given you the same information as r&rfraz for the basic seven day MR cruises.
- Published port arrival/departure times are port local times.
- Ship's time moved forward once early in cruise and back once late in cruise.
- Ship's time will match local time for Cabo & Mazatlan.
- Ship's time will be one hour BEHIND port local time in Puerto Vallarta.

However, a couple of Mariner passengers, in recent months, have claimed that ship's time was never changed throughout the voyage. i.e.: ship's time was one hour behind Cabo & Mazatlan local and two hours behind Vallarta local.

I suggest you ask about changes in ship's time, for Mariner, on the Royal Caribbean forum. You might get a better response from recent Mariner passengers if you started a thread dedicated to this single issue.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul & Marilyn
Buckey's Home Town - Go Badgers!
Sailing before the wind on Lake Michigan aboard our 35' cruise ship !!

Emerald Princess - Eastern Caribbean 03/2014
Coral Princess - Panama Canal Transit 3/2010
Royal Clipper - Windward Islands (Caribbean) 3/2009
Grand Princess - Western Caribbean 03/2006
Golden Princess - Classic Southern Caribbean 04/2005
Norwegian Sea - Western Caribbean 04/2003
Carnival Elation - Mexican Riviera 02/2002
Carnival Mardi Gras - Bahamas Early 80's
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old June 30th, 2010, 04:50 PM
CannonFodder CannonFodder is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 199
Default

1) The easiest thing to do is to stay on ship's time (whether it moves or just stays the same) the entire trip. I'd rather observe the "running of the drunks" and not be a participant.

2) If booking an independent excursion, just tell them when you book what ship you're on. The reputable tour companies have been doing this for a while and know the schedules of all of the major lines.

3) If you REALLY want to know what time it is in local time, just get off the ship and ask a local what time it is!
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
ukdeblarz ukdeblarz is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 138
Default Ship Excursion Time

So, if you book a shore excursion through the ship for PV, do you meet at the ship time or the port time?
__________________
Cruise History:

Carnival Legend - 5/14 - Western Caribbean
HAL Noordam - Xmas Cruise 2013 - Western Caribbean
Celebrity Summit - 3/13 - Southern Caribbean
Carnival Magic - 6/12 - Western Caribbean
Grand Princess - Xmas Cruise 2011 - Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Eclipse - 3/11 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Splendor - 7/10 - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Victory - 12/09 - Southern Caribbean
HAL Veendam - 12/08 - Western Caribbean
Sea Princess - 8/07 - 14 nt Mediterranean
Carnival Triumph - 6/04 - Eastern Caribbean
Chandris Celebrity - 6/89 - 2nt Cruise to Nowhere
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old July 3rd, 2010, 10:23 AM
star gazer star gazer is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Los Angeles/South Bay, CA
Posts: 601
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
1) The easiest thing to do is to stay on ship's time (whether it moves or just stays the same) the entire trip. I'd rather observe the "running of the drunks" and not be a participant.

2) If booking an independent excursion, just tell them when you book what ship you're on. The reputable tour companies have been doing this for a while and know the schedules of all of the major lines.

3) If you REALLY want to know what time it is in local time, just get off the ship and ask a local what time it is!
Well written and I have always said; "Ship time is king."
__________________
Golden, 08
Diamond, 04 05 06 07
Sapphire, 06
Island, 04
Star, 02 03
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:17 AM
coolcat12's Avatar
coolcat12 coolcat12 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,189
Red face

My independent tour guide in Cabo adjusted my tour time because the Mariner stays on Calif. time during daylight savings months. On EVERY other MexRiv cruise we adjusted ship time ahead/back during the cruise. But noooooo.

...and to be completely confused....I live in AZ where we don't do DST. I think there is an app for this..LOL
__________________
Jill




Statendam-Bermuda/Legend of the Seas-Mexico/Monarch-Baja/Monarch-Baja/Vision of the Seas-Mexico/Sapphire-Mexico/Dawn-Alaska/Diamond-Mexico/Oosterdam-Mexico/Diamond-Hawaii/Mariner-Mexico x 3./Oasis-W.Carib x 2./FreedomB2B-Carib
Serenade W. Carib
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old July 4th, 2010, 09:49 AM
star gazer star gazer is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Los Angeles/South Bay, CA
Posts: 601
Default

...and to be completely confused....I live in AZ where we don't do DST. I think there is an app for this..LOL[/quote]

I have often wondered why the Indian Reservations observe DST in AZ and the rest don't.
__________________
Golden, 08
Diamond, 04 05 06 07
Sapphire, 06
Island, 04
Star, 02 03
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old July 4th, 2010, 11:02 AM
coolcat12's Avatar
coolcat12 coolcat12 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,189
Default

Arizona is a mystery meat! I moved here from Seattle.LOL Where it stays light very late in the evening come summertime.
__________________
Jill




Statendam-Bermuda/Legend of the Seas-Mexico/Monarch-Baja/Monarch-Baja/Vision of the Seas-Mexico/Sapphire-Mexico/Dawn-Alaska/Diamond-Mexico/Oosterdam-Mexico/Diamond-Hawaii/Mariner-Mexico x 3./Oasis-W.Carib x 2./FreedomB2B-Carib
Serenade W. Carib

Last edited by coolcat12; July 4th, 2010 at 11:06 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old July 5th, 2010, 12:31 PM
MSN-Travelers's Avatar
MSN-Travelers MSN-Travelers is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,489
Lightbulb Ship's time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdeblarz View Post
So, if you book a shore excursion through the ship for PV, do you meet at the ship time or the port time?
The ship does everything on ship's time. If you book an excursion thru the ship, you will meet, depart and return on ship's time. Often you will be told to meet in a specific lounge and leave the ship as a group or meet on the dock at a specific location per ship's time.

This whole ship's time vs. local time is only an issue when booking an activity ashore, independent of the ship, and only seems to be a factor for Vallarta.


Enjoy!
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Paul & Marilyn
Buckey's Home Town - Go Badgers!
Sailing before the wind on Lake Michigan aboard our 35' cruise ship !!

Emerald Princess - Eastern Caribbean 03/2014
Coral Princess - Panama Canal Transit 3/2010
Royal Clipper - Windward Islands (Caribbean) 3/2009
Grand Princess - Western Caribbean 03/2006
Golden Princess - Classic Southern Caribbean 04/2005
Norwegian Sea - Western Caribbean 04/2003
Carnival Elation - Mexican Riviera 02/2002
Carnival Mardi Gras - Bahamas Early 80's
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Caro C Caro C is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cabo San Lucas
Posts: 255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN-Travelers View Post
Normally, I would have given you the same information as r&rfraz for the basic seven day MR cruises.
- Published port arrival/departure times are port local times.
- Ship's time moved forward once early in cruise and back once late in cruise.
- Ship's time will match local time for Cabo & Mazatlan.
- Ship's time will be one hour BEHIND port local time in Puerto Vallarta.

However, a couple of Mariner passengers, in recent months, have claimed that ship's time was never changed throughout the voyage. i.e.: ship's time was one hour behind Cabo & Mazatlan local and two hours behind Vallarta local.
Let me try to help...Carnival adjusts clocks to local (Splendor) but Mariner DOES NOT! They stay on ship which when they arrive in Cabo every Tuesday, they are an hour behind...Pacific time and Cabo is Mountain time. All times are shown in ship regardless of the line...11:00 tour on Carnival is 11:00 local as well, 11:00 tour on Mariner is 12:00 local. The Mariner used to adjust their clocks to our time but stopped almost a year ago. Other Carnival ships do not adjust and are behind Cabo time and other Royal Carib ships do adjust and are on the same time!
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Caro C Caro C is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cabo San Lucas
Posts: 255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri204 View Post
Im doing the reverse Itenary IE Cabo first, then Mazatlan then PV. So the ship time for Cabo is arrive 9:30am and depart at 6:00pm and that is also local time.

Mazatlan is arrive 8:00am and depart 5:30pm local time and ships time.

PV is shiptime is 8:00am arrive and local time is 9:00am. Departure time is 7:00pm ships time which is 8:00pm local time.


Adri
I hate to make things even worse for you but the Mariner now gets into Cabo even later...they used to adjust clocks to our time and get here at 9:30 local but now they stay on Pacific time (Cabo is Mountain Zone) and they arrive at 11:00 local or 10:00 ship time.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:52 PM
cccer cccer is online now
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 1,630
Default

So on the Carnival Splendor if the itinerary says the ship arrives at 9:00, this is local time? We want to book Los Veranos at either 10:45 or 11:45 and wonder if 10:45 is cutting it to close.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old August 5th, 2010, 10:21 PM
crAZytwinmomma crAZytwinmomma is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 120
Question splendor time in PV

Quote:
Originally Posted by r&rfraz View Post
just returned from a 7 day mex riv cruise on carnival splendor. one of the most difficult questions to get cleared up before i went was the time difference between ship time and port time. so one of my goals was the clear it up for anyone esle who is wander about it also. so here is what happened with the time on the splendor. on our first full day at sea we set out watches ahead one hour. this meant that when we arrived in our first port (puerta vallerta) the ship time would be one hour behind local pv time. so we arrived in pv at 8am ship time, 9am local pv time. for the other two ports (mazatlan & cabo) ship time and local time were the same. after the final port (cabo) we moved our watches back an hour to put us back on pacific time.

the other thing i had a hard time getting an answer about (even from carnival) was wether the port times posted on the itinarary were ship time or local time. The answer is all times listed were local time. for example:

when the splendor lists port time in pv as 9:00am to 10:00. this is local time. as i said before the other 2 ports are not an issue because ship time & port time are the same. i hope this helps clear up any confusion anyone may be having. trying to get it straight before i sailed drove me crazy!
We are on the Carnival Splendor in October 2010
So if we have an excursion in PV at 11am local time about a half hour taxi ride away from port, will we get there by 10:30 am local time if the ship says we are in port at PV from 9am-10pm???

How long does it take to get off the ship? and in a taxi?
Any tips to disembark super fast????
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:32 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.
Cookie ConsentCookie Policy